11/17 - Big Stars Set to Descend on Atlantis Opening Ceremony

becozy

thank you HazelEyes!

from: http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticle...theuae&col=

Khaleej Times Online

Big Stars Set to Descend on Atlantis Opening Ceremony

by: Preeti Kannan

18 November 2008

DUBAI - The much-anticipated, grand opening of Dubai’s most luxurious resort and newest icon, Atlantis — The Palm, this Thursday will see the red carpet roll out for some of the biggest names from the entertainment and sporting scenes.

Also, the Palm will be lit up in what would be the world's largest fireworks display, marking the official launch of the landmark and its flagship resort.

American actors Robert De Niro, Denzel Washington, basketball legend Michael Jordon, talk show host Oprah Winfrey, singers Janet Jackson, Lindsay Lohan and Lily Allen, rapper Jermaine Dupri, DJ Sam Ronson, Petra Nemcova, Gerry Butler, Nawal al Zoghbi and Bollywood actress Priyanka Chopra are some of the big names who will descend on the star-studded evening.

Music legend, Kylie Minogue, will make her debut Middle East performance, alongside Middle-Eastern pop sensation, Nawal and Priyanka Chopra, at the exclusive event for over 2,000 guests from across the globe. Actor Tom Cruise, Charlize Theron, Naomi Campbell, model Agyness Deyn and Bollywood actress Mallika Sherawat are also believed to be attending the opening.

The record-breaking fireworks display, designed and created by international pyrotechnics expert, Grucci, will be seven times larger than this year's Olympic Games opening ceremony.

Fireworks will stretch across the full 520 kilometres of Palm Jumeirah, lighting up the entire island and the Atlantis resort, creating a display that will be made visible from space.

The display will be followed by an unprecedented illumination sequence introduced by Priyanka Chopra, as The Goddess of Atlantis.

The visual display will use the 200 metre-wide Royal Towers as a canvas to visualise the story of Atlantis, making it the world's largest HD video projection on a standing surface.

The guests will dine on signature dishes prepared by Atlantis' chefs Santi Santamaria, Michel Rostang, Giorgio Locatelli and celebrity chef Nobu Matsuhisa, before heading to the exclusive Royal Afterglow party with top US DJ, Samantha Ronson.

Atlantis, The Palm is a 1,539 room, ocean-themed destination resort located at the centre of the crescent of the man-made Palm Jumeirah. This $1.5 billion joint venture project was developed with Nakheel and opened its doors to guests in September.

A couple of weeks before the opening of the resort, a massive fire broke out in its lobby causing little damage to the external roof and lobby dome.

However, the incident did not mar the hotel's opening date, which is right on schedule.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We met a couple from Dubai a year ago and they were soooooo nice. They kept inviting us to visit. Dubai LOVES Americans and they kept saying how beautiful it was there. LOL I'm not sure I'll ever make it that far but they were very cordial.

Jane

I bet there will be photos getting out on this event. They want to show the world their hotel and try to attract those with money. You can't do that without showing some photos of the place with people in it. And if those people are celebrities, you know they will want those photos out. Press will be hand picked I bet or their own Dubian photographers or the one the hotel employs. This will be a good one you can bank on it. LOL>>>> Pun intended.

I bet there will be photos getting out on this event. They want to show the world their hotel and try to attract those with money. You can't do that without showing some photos of the place with people in it. And if those people are celebrities, you know they will want those photos out. Press will be hand picked I bet or their own Dubian photographers or the one the hotel employs. This will be a good one you can bank on it. LOL>>>> Pun intended.

I concur. Otherwise, why have all the "big names" in attendance? This is a publicity stunt in its purest form. We probably won't have "razzi" pictures, but I bet we'll have plenty of real press photos...

Dubai is 10 hours ahead of the CST. Wonder what time this shindig is supposed to go down? I suspect we'll start seeing event piks sometime Thurs afternoon...

ETS: I've seen these islands on "Modern Marvels." They're all man-made and a "miracle" in engineering circles. Here's some pictures. Here's info from a real estate website for the Emirates. I thought I recognized the "Palms" name and now I'm even more excited. This project is COOL!

ETA: Here's a youtube vid (it's about 9 minutes), but it gives you a great idea of what this has been done to get to this point.

I never thought I would say this.........I do believe I'm getting a bit jealous of Gerry!

I have family and friends who have been there. Beautiful and luxurious beyond description, so they say!!

:bellydance:

Is everybody sure this is our Gerry Butler? He is usually referred to as Gerard Butler. Isn't there also a popular black singer named Gerry Butler.

The singer's name is spelled Jerry. There is a horse trainer named Gerard Butler. I remember seeing this resort on a TV show and it was truly spectacular. I can't wait for photos of the event.

Gerry is living the life!! You go Gerry!

I think there will be pics, it's perfect PR and maybe even some entertainment show coverage, they've done that before and this one is much bigger than others they've covered.

OMG! What an awesome experience he will have. He is still filling all our dreams...This one is over the top!

I can't wait to hear him tell some story about what happened on the way to Atlantis, or what goofy thing he did at the opening. Black Tie event, hmmm ...

This is so great for Gerry. I'm really thrilled that he's getting this good PR lately. He needs it and deserves it. He's on a major A-list list. Proud of him!

Of course there will be pics! This sounds like a resort's dream come true!

Celebrities responded to elaborately boxed invitations sent out by Sol Kerzner, chairman of Kerzner International, and Sultan Ahmed bin Sulayem, executive chairman of Nakheel, the developers and operators of the Atlantis.

Holy shite! Gerry must be so honored! Hope he's safe and has a blast!

Lisa

Edited by phoenixgirl

I am so happy for Gerry...his popularity is growing, but I really hope and pray it doesn't change him.One of the most endearing things about him is his being so down to earth. :wuv: and not impressed with himself.

I have a question: On all of the big resorts they are building in Dubai (indoor ski area, islands, etc.) do they allow drinking of alcoholic beverages? I know Dubai has set up an area on the waterfront for US military to party on their way back to the States after their tour in Iraq, but I thought the Dubai and the rest of the country was no-alcohol. This might put a crimp in a resort's bringing customers in....or not...

:hmm:

Edited by Lady Ski Bum

The hotel will be ok as Dubai is a bit more laxed than other UAE countries. What they do not tolerate is open affection between unmarried people in public as 2 Brits were recently put in jail for 3 months making out on a public beach. Also swearing or making rude gestures is a jailable offence also.

So Gerry be on your best behaviour darlin :funnyup::lmao:

Moira