Gerard Butler GALS

The REAL Gerry (Part 2)

Susan~Sporran

Yeah, let me light the campfire and bring out the marshmallows, Hershey bars and graham crackers so we can all enjoy s'mores while singing Kumbaya. Takes me right back to Girl Scout camp (yes, they DID have Girl Scouts back then)!

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My brief encounter with him at the RnR prem back in September was my turning point in that I personally felt here was a man just doing his job. My 'obsession' ended that day.

I find this very interesting, because this was the occasion of my first Gerry encounter in the flesh as well. I remember being so overwhelmed just by the idea that I might see him in person that I told the GALS around me to please catch me if I fainted! Of course, Gerry was doing his job that night! I never expected anything other than that. I think Gerry goes above and beyond the call of duty to go down the line of fans signing autographs at these events. How many others just wave to the fans if they even bother to acknowledge their presence at all? I came away from the event even more "in love" with Gerry than ever!

As others have already stated on this thread, Gerry is a human being. He's not perfect. It's his very imperfection that appeals to me. Many of the things that Barberry mentioned in her post as negative aspects of Gerry's behavior are things that I actually found amusing when they occurred. Maybe I've been married to an Irishman for too many years :escape:

Anyway, I'm in it for the long haul. Gerry, :yourock:

Yeah, let me light the campfire and bring out the marshmallows, Hershey bars and graham crackers so we can all enjoy s'mores while singing Kumbaya. Takes me right back to Girl Scout camp (yes, they DID have Girl Scouts back then)!

:funnyup:

D

I'm not familiar with the Halle Berry comment, but I know about the paparrazzi (?) incident...I mean...would you want a camera in your face every single day? I know it was his choice to be an actor thus all the BS that goes with it...but it must get on his nerves...and who knows what the reporter said to him...two sides to every story...I still think he's an awesome actor...some of his movies weren't hits...but they show his potential...like choosing the wrong job, actors in general probably think the movie will be good, but it's only as good as it is written...

You know, over the years, I've been one of the most "critical" of Gerry's fans. But, I'm still here.

Gerry's personal life has absolutely no effect on whether or not I am a fan of him as an actor. I could never understand people who refused to see a movie or admit an actor has put in a great performance just because he threw a cell phone at somebody, or acted like a freak on the Oprah show, or whatever. I mean heck, I still love Michael Jackson's music and think he's one of the most amazing entertainers in the world...but I also think he's the freakiest freak in Freakytown. Just...bizarre!

That having been said, it is always nice to discover an actor who also seems to have it together and is an admirable person in other aspects of his life. But different things make people admirable. I admire Jason Isaacs a lot both as an actor, and as a dedicated family man. I like that he's just a normal person when he's not working...and (as he told it once)...his life is so boring and suburban that it's fun to do exciting stuff in the roles he plays. His stories include mixing his daughter's vitamins into her scrambled eggs, and reading Little House on the Prairie to her at bedtime. What's not to love about that??? LOL. And it makes it especially endearing since he's best known as such loathesome villains as Col. Tavington and Lucius Malfoy.

Gerry's off-screen life is more "celebrity" than I'd like...but it in no way would keep me from admiring and supporting him as an actor. I don't care if he's punching photographers, sleeping with two and three different people every night, and hot-rodding around LA like he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. It makes no difference as long as what he's doing on screen impresses me. And truth be known...when I watch interviews and such, I still find him extremely likable. He's smart and witty and charming. He's still Gerry! Perhaps a slightly more famous and full-of-himself Gerry...but the good heart and sharp mind are still there.

For me, his work lately has left a lot to be desired. He has been in some BIG movies (300), and some cute movies (PSILY and Nim's), and some kick-arse movies (Rocknrolla)...but he hasn't really done anything of much substance. I'm still hanging on, waiting to see if he's going to prove he has the chops pull off the lead in an Oscar caliber film. I know everyone says "Oscars don't mean anything, blah blah blah..." - but you know what I mean.

So, as for the "Real" Gerry...I still find him interesting. But looking cute and saying charming things while making run-of-the-mill movies isn't going to be enough for me to claim he's "my favorite actor". But I'll keep hanging around...waiting to see what he does. For whatever reason, I can't abandon him completely, LOL.

That's where empathy comes in....Trying to put yourself in other people's shoes....I don't always like what celebrities do but then I'm not famous...I have no idea what it's like....I can only imagine....I'll always admire Gerry...in his imperfections and all. We all have imperfections...but sometimes it's because of those imperfections that make us who we are..... :kisswink:

It's my hope that he never changes...In his story telling, his smile, and great talents as an actor.

Ok I meant absolutely no disrespect. I guess my point did not come across very well. And I sure as hell am not going to bring it up again.

I was not pointing fingers at ANYONE. And you know what? Some people DO take all kinds of quotes out of context. Susan, I NEVER meant you; Lisa I didn't mean you either. Swannie, I never said people shouldn't quote him. Can't someone just make a statement about something without everyone getting up in arms about it? Not everything is meant as a personal attack. It was something I noticed so I mentioned it.

Lisa

Edited by phoenixgirl

I thought 300 was a "hit"? Am I mistaken? I'm really surprised that POTO wasn't better received! That's shocking to me! But, there really isn't much out there as of late that is hit worthy material. Everytime I see a trailer for a movie that looks promising, the critics tear it down but I usually see it anyway and draw my own conclusion. The animations are just about the best thing right now. I saw Quantum of Solace and thought it was quite good but I'm a big James Bond fan anyway. I love the non stop action.

I'm looking forward to The Ugly Truth. It looks like it will be cute, but I'm sure Oscar material was not in the minds of the writers and producers. I've got high hopes for Law Abiding Citizen. Hope it does good for Gerry.

D

I thought 300 was a "hit"? Am I mistaken? I'm really surprised that POTO wasn't better received! That's shocking to me! But, there really isn't much out there as of late that is hit worthy material. Everytime I see a trailer for a movie that looks promising, the critics tear it down but I usually see it anyway and draw my own conclusion. The animations are just about the best thing right now. I saw Quantum of Solace and thought it was quite good but I'm a big James Bond fan anyway. I love the non stop action.

I'm looking forward to The Ugly Truth. It looks like it will be cute, but I'm sure Oscar material was not in the minds of the writers and producers. I've got high hopes for Law Abiding Citizen. Hope it does good for Gerry.

D

I try to not listen to critics. My grandmother and aunt swore by Siskel and Ebert and Gene Shallot, and missed a lot of movies as a result. I'm like you, D. I'll go see what I want and make up my own mind.

I've seen four of Gerry's movies in theaters since I became a fan (I actually saw ROF in theaters when it came out as well), and I have yet to be disappointed. Even if he made a movie I wasn't fond of, I'd still be one of his biggest fans.

As others have already stated on this thread, Gerry is a human being. He's not perfect. It's his very imperfection that appeals to me. Anyway, I'm in it for the long haul. Gerry, :yourock:

As Elissa stated, sometimes it's Gerry's inperfections that appeal to me too. I love his rooster hat, I love when he forgets certain items of intimate apparel, I love when he leaves one too many buttons undone on his shirt, I love when he makes Leno sweat, I love when he tells it like it is in an interview, I adore the cocky grin. I may not always agree with him and I may occasionally cringe at something he says or does, but I love him for being real. As I said before, if you want a perfect Gerry, he is available in the 12" size. He is in a cardboard box and he comes in an Andre' Marek costume. That Gerry never makes any naughty gestures, never drops an f-bomb, never pops a razzi and never dates anyone you might not like. He is made of plastic. That Gerry is adorable, but (no matter what some of us think), he isn't real! He is an action figure. The REAL Gerry is only human.

You know what? The only thing Gerry owes his fans is a good performance on the screen. Everything else we get from him is gravy.....and baby, I am mashed potatoes!!

Love ya, Big Guy!

Suzie

Ok I meant absolutely no disrespect. I guess my point did not come across very well. And I sure as hell am not going to bring it up again.

I was not pointing fingers at ANYONE. And you know what? Some people DO take all kinds of quotes out of context. Susan, I NEVER meant you; Lisa I didn't mean you either. Swannie, I never said people shouldn't quote him. Can't someone just make a statement about something without everyone getting up in arms about it? Not everything is meant as a personal attack. It was something I noticed so I mentioned it.

Lisa

Lisa, I did not take your comment personally at all, and I'm sorry if my post came across that way. I was just making a passionate point that even if other folks use Gerry's own words against him, I never will. I love many of the things he says, and in fact his words are part of what makes him so fascinating to me. I mean how can I not love a guy who throws F-bombs and then turns right around and talks poetically about the roles he plays?

Swannie

There have been some really good points made in this thread and I just want to say that I fully support Gerry all the way. IMO he IS one in a million. He stirs me as no other actor ever has and I have seen them all. I also dislike the negativity surrounding him lately. A lot of what we see is through the distorted lenses of razzi cameras or rumour and gossip regurgitated in the tabloid gutter press. I can't believe people believe this stuff. His behaviour sometimes can be a bit off the wall but he is who he is and most of us accept that and recognise and focus on the finer qualities he has demonstrated to us time and again. As Gerry said recently not all paps are bad, some treat him fairly well. Has anyone seen the recent video where he is leaving the Kutsaya(sp) club? He looks kind of subdued and sad IMO. I wonder why? I have never seen him so serious. I did wonder if he has heard about Angels closing down and the reasons given. It just seems a bit coincidental to me. GB's fansites do seem important to him and he seemed to be aware of that site. The admin always participated in the conference calls and he seemed to recognise her and was very polite and respectful to her. I can't believe that he would not have heard by now about the closure. He's only human and beneath all the clowning and bravado he does seem like a sensitive sort with quite a fragile ego like most men. Could he be feeling a little hurt and confused right about now? At least it seems as if his long time friends who know him well don't judge him as harshly as some of his fans do.

I really can't bear to think that he is sad and thinking that he has let his fans down somehow. He's been through so much personally and has worked very hard to get where he is today. I'm afraid I became very upset when the video was posted on IMDB and I posted a rant, bawling my eyes out all the time I was doing so. I do now realise that this was speculation on my part and Gerry could have been just tired or unhappy about something totally unrelated. I think he is very, very special and it is obvious to me that he puts his whole heart into everything he does. I believe that he does appreciate his fans and their support and would not do anything deliberately to offend them. I just cannot see what he has done to cause a fan to cut him off so completely.

As others have already stated on this thread, Gerry is a human being. He's not perfect. It's his very imperfection that appeals to me. Anyway, I'm in it for the long haul. Gerry, :yourock:

As Elissa stated, sometimes it's Gerry's inperfections that appeal to me too. I love his rooster hat, I love when he forgets certain items of intimate apparel, I love when he leaves one too many buttons undone on his shirt, I love when he makes Leno sweat, I love when he tells it like it is in an interview, I adore the cocky grin. I may not always agree with him and I may occasionally cringe at something he says or does, but I love him for being real. As I said before, if you want a perfect Gerry, he is available in the 12" size. He is in a cardboard box and he comes in an Andre' Marek costume. That Gerry never makes any naughty gestures, never drops an f-bomb, never pops a razzi and never dates anyone you might not like. He is made of plastic. That Gerry is adorable, but (no matter what some of us think), he isn't real! He is an action figure. The REAL Gerry is only human.

You know what? The only thing Gerry owes his fans is a good performance on the screen. Everything else we get from him is gravy.....and baby, I am mashed potatoes!!

Love ya, Big Guy!

Suzie

Now, that's what I'm talkin' about!

*dashes out to hunt up a gravy ladle*

:gerrylicious:

Connie

As Elissa stated, sometimes it's Gerry's inperfections that appeal to me too. I love his rooster hat, I love when he forgets certain items of intimate apparel, I love when he leaves one too many buttons undone on his shirt, I love when he makes Leno sweat, I love when he tells it like it is in an interview, I adore the cocky grin. I may not always agree with him and I may occasionally cringe at something he says or does, but I love him for being real. [b]As I said before, if you want a perfect Gerry, he is available in the 12" size. He is in a cardboard box and he comes in an Andre' Marek costume. That Gerry never makes any naughty gestures, never drops an f-bomb, never pops a razzi and never dates anyone you might not like. [/b] He is made of plastic. That Gerry is adorable, but (no matter what some of us think), he isn't real! He is an action figure. The REAL Gerry is only human.

Love ya, Big Guy!

Suzie

Well, that is almost true. I was at the Indy Gerryfest and dog gone if Andre' didn't have improper hand placement. When it was pointed out you could color me embarrassed. :wuv:

Suzie you are correct thy guy you see in a box and the guy you see on the screen is not the real Gerry. Maybe some bits and pieces of the character are him, but on the whole Gerry is an entity all on his own.

There have been some really good points made in this thread and I just want to say that I fully support Gerry all the way. IMO he IS one in a million. He stirs me as no other actor ever has and I have seen them all. I also dislike the negativity surrounding him lately. A lot of what we see is through the distorted lenses of razzi cameras or rumour and gossip regurgitated in the tabloid gutter press. I can't believe people believe this stuff. His behaviour sometimes can be a bit off the wall but he is who he is and most of us accept that and recognise and focus on the finer qualities he has demonstrated to us time and again. As Gerry said recently not all paps are bad, some treat him fairly well. Has anyone seen the recent video where he is leaving the Kutsaya(sp) club? He looks kind of subdued and sad IMO. I wonder why? I have never seen him so serious. I did wonder if he has heard about Angels closing down and the reasons given. It just seems a bit coincidental to me. GB's fansites do seem important to him and he seemed to be aware of that site. The admin always participated in the conference calls and he seemed to recognise her and was very polite and respectful to her. I can't believe that he would not have heard by now about the closure. He's only human and beneath all the clowning and bravado he does seem like a sensitive sort with quite a fragile ego like most men. Could he be feeling a little hurt and confused right about now? At least it seems as if his long time friends who know him well don't judge him as harshly as some of his fans do.

I really can't bear to think that he is sad and thinking that he has let his fans down somehow. He's been through so much personally and has worked very hard to get where he is today. I'm afraid I became very upset when the video was posted on IMDB and I posted a rant, bawling my eyes out all the time I was doing so. I do now realise that this was speculation on my part and Gerry could have been just tired or unhappy about something totally unrelated. I think he is very, very special and it is obvious to me that he puts his whole heart into everything he does. I believe that he does appreciate his fans and their support and would not do anything deliberately to offend them. I just cannot see what he has done to cause a fan to cut him off so completely.

Hi Robyn!

I saw the vid you are referring to, and I didn't think Gerry seemed sad. I thought he looked very focused and serious about not engaging with the photogs. He seemed determined to get through their gauntlet, and absolutely closed himself off, but I really saw no evidence of sadness.

I agree that the closure GBangels site might have upset him, because I do believe fan support is important to him, and I do not believe success makes one impervious to disappointment and hurt, but of course all we can do is speculate about the situation.

Anyhow, those are my thoughts.

BTW, it's nice to see you posting here!

Swannie

Edited by Swansong

Okay I wasn't going to post in here but I'll post something real quick and be done w/it. I'm a fan of Gerry's. I've been a fan for years - since I first saw him in "Attila" I went on Yahoo and joined the ONLY Yahoo group site out there at the time. I will continue to be a Gerry fan for as long as I'm excited about him. I'm always excited about him per se, but lately not his movie choices. I'm sure he knows what he's doing, but I don't have to like his choices. That's what being a fan w/opinions is. I can still enjoy him, but not necessarily what he's doing. As long as he's not abusing anyone or doing anything illegal I don't really care what he does in his personal life. I'm one of those people that even though I can pick up a People Magazine or an Enquirer and go "WTF" w/the information, it doesn't mean that I A) Believe it or B) care about the contents beyond reading it at that particular time. I've actually stopped watching E! or Entertainment Tonight everyday or reading the mags cuz I'm really not that interested in what these celebrities do in their personal lives A) who cares and B) it's not that interesting other than they have lots of money that I don't to spend when they want to spend it. I'm tired of spending my money to read about these people. If Gerry happens to be in the magazine I'll flip through it but unless it's a new picture I'm not interested in purchasing it.

Having a new baby (4 1/2 mons now) my time on here has been limited but I still come on becuase I want to see what is going on. Unfortunately, most of the projects mentioned I have no interest in, but it doens't make me less of a fan. Some people (no one specifically, just something in passing no need to read into anything) think the amount of posts you have determines how much of a fan you're. Well, I've been here on the site for 2 1/2 years and there are some who have more posts than me who have been here less than a year - does that make them more of fan than me? I just think we need to all be adults here and understand that this is a fansite. As far as I know, no one is personal friends w/Gerry to know what he's doing on a personal level so why speculate or plant seeds where there isn't any dirt. Lets just enjoy being a fan of a wonderful actor and mingle w/fans and be happy about it. I'm not going anywhere.

Cassie

I also do not think he is sad in the video.

I do not think he is mad either. I just think

he is determined to ignore those photogs.

I agree. He was ignoring the photographers. In fact he appeared to me to be cutting them dead, given the blank expression he was wearing.

Warning Will Robinson...Danger Danger...woman venting her guts out ahead...(for those not old enough to get my reference...I am quoting from Lost in Space...which makes sense since I am really not even from this planet...LOL!)

I promise you, I am trying very hard to think, think, think before I write in response to this discussion. I am filled with pain in my deepest heart and soul...because the biggest hurt for me is Merciless Judgement...regardless of whether it is of eachother, of Gerry and or of ourselves. So, given that, who am I to judge even those who act in ways I find impossible to understand? I am trying very hard not to talk specifics here...so, if anyone decides to take offense at my ramblings...please know that I am praying very hard to understand what makes anyone do the things they do...even when I don't understand the choices that other people make, it is still not my place to beat the crap out of them for doing it. So, I am not casting blame here...I am simply trying to wrap my brain around so much of what I have seen over the past almost 4 years of reading the opinions of others (whether it is critics of every stripe in the media or "fans" on the message boards) about who Gerry is, what he has done or not done, etc.

I am just trying to understand what makes anyone, myself included, decide to put their cruel boots on and commence with the buttkicking. It seems that it is heartbreakingly easy to turn a critical eye toward our fellow human beings...and I am sure there have been many times when I have done it myself. Why do we do it? Why do we inspect and dissect and scrutinize with the most powerful of microscopes...when it could so easily be us in the next heartbeat...feeling the glare of that merciless spotlight turned in our direction. I am just so thankful, to the depths of my soul, that I do not have my entire life torn asunder for the viewing pleasure of the masses...it would be such misery to have to explain and defend and justify myself...and I would Never, ever, ever be able to stand up to such a test. I guess it is always my policy to give others the benefit of the doubt whenever possible...especially when I have so little in the way of hard, cold facts to base my opinions on. That goes for Gerry and everyone else as well.

I am just imagining what Life would be like if I was in Gerry's shoes (shudder...too often, it seems like my worst nightmare come to life!) ...and yes, I can certainly be Tawonda the freaking Warrior Goddess...so, I really do wonder how I would handle some of the "challenging" situations Gerry has found himself in...and I guess I am just glad not to have to find out. and I am sure glad no one else has to find out either. :tantrum: Far from perfect I am . All of a sudden, I sound like a bad version of Yoda. LOL.

Just wanted to add that a lot has transpired in Gerrydom since I first posted this topic. Some of Gerry's fans are withdrawing their support of him because because of recent events in his personal life, and some are disappointed in his current films and the direction of his career in general.

How do you feel?

Swannie

Sooooooo....

How do I feel? Usual Disclaimer...These are just my opinions, not absolute fact, please, I beg of you, don't kick my arse for saying how I feel. I am not asking anyone else to agree. I am not forcing you to even read what I have to say. I am just trying to reach out with my whole heart to try to understand what is happening in the world around me.

I feel Sad. There is so much Good which has come into my life "through" Gerry. So many blessings. So much Love. So many friendships. How does it feel when I hear the kinds of things some people are saying about him? It makes me feel like I want to wash away the muck and the mud slinging...it makes me wish that I could "unhear" and "unread" so much of what I have heard and read. It makes me get on my knees in prayer for Gerry and for all of us... there is just so much that is pure speculation and supposition based on gossip and by a few sound bytes in interviews...so much can be taken out of context...none of us can Know what has taken place unless we were right there to witness it...and until Gerry feels like baring his soul to us and telling us why he has said and done this or that, I refuse to automatically think the worst of him. I know that I have made mistakes in my life that I would never want to come back to haunt me...and no one knows what my rationale was for the choices I made except for me and the One who made me. I feel the same is true for Gerry. The same is true for Any of us. As much as it hurts me to see the choices others have made to withdraw their support from Gerry...I cannot know the intent of their heart and therefore, I cannot judge them for making that choice. I am simply saying that I wish that we could ALL allow our better natures to come forth whenever we decide to air our opinions in a public forum. I wish that we could Let all we do be done in Love...I wish that we could give one another (and Gerry) every chance and every ounce of our compassion and empathy...I wish that we could Stop being so hard on him, on ourselves and on one another. I realize that I am a contradictory mess here...and I keep circling back around to the fact that if I say how this kind of stuff makes me feel, I am casting my own judgement out into the fray.

Where do I stand? I stand with Gerry. I support him, I believe in him and I am more than willing to allow for whatever misbehavior and mistakes and boneheaded choices he might have made and will undoubtedly make in the future. Does this make me a starstruck eejit fangirl with not a brain in her head? Maybe in some people's estimation. But, I am only using the Golden Rule as my standard. Do unto others as you would have done to you. I can only pray that I will be shown mercy and forgiveness and tolerance and acceptance when I hurt the ones I love, speak without thinking, act like a crazy person, etc etc etc, ad nauseum. I just want to give others the same respect and common courtesy I hope to receive myself. Does this make sense, or am I the biggest and most deluded Pollyanna ever to walk the planet?

I guess you will just have to judge for yourselves.

In the meanwhile, I am praying for Grace and Mercy and Forgiveness to reign supreme in our beloved sphere of existance...May we speak blessings more often than harsh words, may we cherish our Connections...to Gerry, to one another and to this world we live in. May we remember that Time is precious, short and much too valuable to waste in anger and intolerance. May we accept one another, flaws and all...even when we fall flat on our faces, may we find many hands outstretched to help us back onto our feet again. May we share our love, our joy and our kindness as often as we possibly can...remembering that the hands of the Divine are our hands...we may bless or we may curse, it is always our choice.

I love you all...

xoxoxoxoCheri

AMEN

i STAND WHERE I ALWAYS STAND. I LOVE HIM ABSOLUTELY, UNCONDITIONALLY, BECAUSE HE IS JUST HUMAN LIKE THE REST OF US. HE IS NOT PERFECT. NO ONE IS. HE IS FALIBLE JUST LIKE THE REST OF US. HE IS CAPABLE OF BEING TIRED AND FRUSTRATED WITH HIS SITUATION, NO MATTER HOW WONDERFUL MOST PEOPLE THINK IT IS, IT REALLY ISN'T. HE IS IN THE SPOTLIGHT LITERALLY EVERY SINGLE MINUTE. HE CAN NOT BE EXPECTED TO BE PLEASANT AND HAPPY ALL THE TIME. HE IS HUMAN, AND I LOVE HIM FOR IT.

NOW, WHAT IT THE WORLD DID HE DO OR SAY THAT HAS EVERYONE SO UPSET? WHERE DO I FIND THESE WORDS AND SOUNDBITES.

JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW WHERE I STAND BEFORE I WITHNESS THE STUPIDITY THAT CREATED THIS UPROAR.

Sandy

I think that's the basis of the discussion. A lot of us DON'T think he has done or said anything that out of the ordinary to cause such an uproar. A few are offended by what I, for one, consider very mild behavior. There is a lot that goes on in the world, in my country, in my town, that is far worse and worthy of condemnation than anything GB has done, to my knowledge. A lot of trash talk is out there but that's all it is - talk without substance.

Fans come and go. A small website closing is not the end of the world regardless of the reasons for closing. I would defend those who comment on it, though, that what is posted on the web is public access. And no matter who "owns" a site, when you make the contents public you can expect comment on what is posted. If you expect to be able to say what you please without feedback you should reconsider hosting a public website. You may not think it's fair, anymore than a celebrity considers it fair to spin fabricated stories about their private life, but that's the way it is. And people on the web, many of them, because they don't have to take responsibility for what they say, don't have to reveal themselves, feel free to say anything they please and be as nasty as they like.

Jane

NOW, WHAT IT THE WORLD DID HE DO OR SAY THAT HAS EVERYONE SO UPSET? WHERE DO I FIND THESE WORDS AND SOUNDBITES.

JUST WANTED YOU TO KNOW WHERE I STAND BEFORE I WITHNESS THE STUPIDITY THAT CREATED THIS UPROAR.

Sandy

Hey darlin'...since you quoted my post, I thought I would try to give an answer that won't stir up a whole hornets nest all over again...basically, I was referring to stories about Gerry in the "media" ( I won't even call it news since it is basically gossip posing as facts) about issues with the press, stories about who he is dating, etc...and when I mentioned "soundbytes" I was referring to the few words he ever says on the subject which cannot possibly give the entire story of what happened (or didn't as the case may be).

My entire point is that Gerry is not perfect, he is not infallible, he is bound to have days which make him wish he could get a "do over" and he is undoubtedly going to makes choices which not everyone will like...simply read back through the thread and you will realize that there are as many passionate opinions about all of this as there are stars in the sky (seems like it anyways)...and everyone is entitled to have an opinion and to express it.

I was just praying for an atmosphere of goodwill, acceptance, tolerance and forgiveness to shine into this thread and into the hearts of all who share their opinions here. I am hoping that even when any of us have to "agree to disagree", I pray we will try to see the other person's motivation and intention before we take offence to what they have to say. I pray that we will begin to take Gerry down off of his pedestal...he cannot possibly remain there...and it will only lead to heartache and pain when he ultimately cannot live up to the expectations of anyone who wants him to be *perfect*...*especially when "perfect" can mean so many different things to so many different people as well.

It is so easy in times of stress and painful goings-on in the world for us to allow that climate of unease and dismay to color so much of what we are thinking and saying and how we might react to something that someone says which presses a sensitive button and they don't even know they are hurting us. I guess I really am the epitome of the Pollyanna character...I try to shine light when there is darkness, I try to find common ground and connections to counteract the division and feelings of disconnection that we can sometimes feel. Most of the time, I fear I am fighting a losing battle...but, I soldier on, throwing glitter and sticking my smiley faces all over the place! LOL

This place has been a haven for so many of us...and Gerry is the one who led me here, ultimately...he is the one who brought the best of friends into my life...and he is blissfully unaware of the part he has played in so many of our lives. I know that I am sentimental and emotional about him...I know I tend to see him through a lens of tolerance and empathy...mostly because his life in the fishbowl of "popularity" is one which I shudder to even imagine. I realize that so much of the negative stuff is expected to be part of the package of being a "celebrity"...Maybe that is why I pray so hard and so often for him...I cannot imagine how hard it must be to have so many people holding you up to impossible standards...there is just no way for ANYONE to be able to stand up to those kinds of expectations.

I don't know if this answers your question...but, reading back through the thread would probably give you all the answers you want (and maybe didn't even want...) to know.

With much love and respect to all

xoxoxoCheri

I think I missed where everyone is in such an uproar. Did I miss someone claiming to be a better fan based on the number of posts they have? Is there an alternate universe in which something entirely different is being said than what I think I'm reading, or have I truly missed something (entirely possible)? I feel like one of those characters on SNL - the one who used to say "Simmah down now, simmah down!"

First - Lisa -

I guess my point is that I don't think it's fair to use Gerry's words against him (or to prove our points). I know I won't be popular for this opinion, but I just had to say something.

THAT is all that I responded to. You did say your opinion might not be popular but you had to say something, so it should be expected some of us who have used Gerry's words had to say something too. But my opinion was just that, mine, the same as your opinion is yours - not an attack, only an opinioin. We just have to accept that sometimes we don't see things the same way.

To Cassie - you don't have to like Gerry's choices, and I don't think anyone said that makes you lesser of a fan. Members are in various stages in their personal lives as well as just having different interests and amounts of time to post. Some very devoted fans likely never post, some may only lurk, some may never visit a fan site. And there is nothing in the "Official Rule Book for Gerry Fandom" that says to be a fan you have to like all his movie choices! Really, I checked, not there, nope!

To shirsan - I believe what spurred this discussion was the closing of the GBAngels site (which has since reopened but as a social site rather than a fan site). To hear the interview that apparently led to that action you can download it here.

I feel like a broken record reminding everyone that differences of opinion are OK, and everyone is entitled to express their own so long as they are not disrespectful to those with whom they disagree. That includes respecting the decision that was made by the owner of the Angels site. You don't have to agree, or like it, just respect that it was her choice to make.

And here at GALS, we aren't going anywhere!

First - Lisa -

I guess my point is that I don't think it's fair to use Gerry's words against him (or to prove our points). I know I won't be popular for this opinion, but I just had to say something.

THAT is all that I responded to. You did say your opinion might not be popular but you had to say something, so it should be expected some of us who have used Gerry's words had to say something too. But my opinion was just that, mine, the same as your opinion is yours - not an attack, only an opinioin. We just have to accept that sometimes we don't see things the same way.

You're right . . . and I apologize if my post sounded too pissy. It seriously was not directed at anyone here . . .

Poor Gerry . . . look at the crap he causes in our life. :lol: I'm just glad to see that most everyone who posted here loves him unconditionally, accepts him as a flawed human being (as we all are) and is in this for the long haul. Cause that means we all get to be friends for the long haul, too.

As for the video, I don't see him as being mad or sad . . . just not wanting to deal with the razzis. I'm sure he's been re-instructed on how to deal with them, and I am glad that he's taking this route. I even love that he commented at the end that it's all good with them. Shows no remorse, no grudge . . . but at the same time he's also letting them know that he is no longer their best friend. I'm so glad.

Gerry has my unwavering loyalty and fandom, and I just want to see him happy and make good movies. So far, he hasn't let me down.

Lisa

I think I missed where everyone is in such an uproar. Did I miss someone claiming to be a better fan based on the number of posts they have? Is there an alternate universe in which something entirely different is being said than what I think I'm reading, or have I truly missed something (entirely possible)? I feel like one of those characters on SNL - the one who used to say "Simmah down now, simmah down!"

I thought I was clear when I posted this: Some people (no one specifically, just something in passing no need to read into anything) but I guess not. Convo's are had outside forums. Again, Some people (no one specifically, just something in passing no need to read into anything).

Cassie