Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
becozy

12/17 - Priest - New Director...No Gerry?

from: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/conten...d2265370e25bc24

Helmer ordained for 'Priest'

Scott Charles Stewart will direct the horror Western

By Borys Kit

Dec 17, 2008, 01:00 AM ET

Scott Charles Stewart has signed to direct "Priest," a horror Western that Michael De Luca and Stars Road Entertainment's Josh Donen are producing for Screen Gems. Mitchell Peck will also produce.

An adaptation of a TokyoPop comic book, the story is set in a world ravaged by centuries of war between man and vampire and follows a warrior priest who turns against the church to track down a murderous band of vampires who have kidnapped his niece. Cory Goodman ("The Brood") wrote the screenplay.

The boarding of Stewart blesses "Priest" with new life; the project almost came together a couple of years ago with Gerard Butler and Steven Strait under the direction of Andrew Douglas but fell apart.

Stewart, repped by Endeavor and Anonymous Content, is a former ILM staffer who, along with Stu Maschwitz and Jonathan Rothbart, co-founded special effects house the Orphanage. "Priest" sees him back under Screen Gems' wings, as he is making his directorial debut with the company's biblical apocalyptic thriller "Legion." Stewart also wrote the film.

also:

Orphanage Fonder to Direct Priest

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

By: Ryan Ball

Priest from Tokyo Pop is one of the latest graphic novels to travel the road to the big screen, and it now has a visual effects expert in the director's chair. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Scott Charles Stewart, co-founder of vfx studio The Orphanage, has been hired to helm Screen Gems' horror Western being produced by Michael De Luca and Stars Road Ent.'s Josh Donen. Andrew Douglas (The Amityville Horror-2005) was previously attached to spearhead the adaptation with Gerard Butler in the title role. A replacement for the 300 star has yet to be announced.

Created by Hyung Min-woo, Priest involves a centuries-old war between humans and vampires and tells the story of an immortal, 19th century priest who sells his soul in order to save his niece from a murderous band of bloodsuckers. The screenplay was written by Cory Goodman, who has penned the script for the 2009 remake of the 1097 David Cronenberg horror flick The Brood, and has also adapted the Kung Fu television series for the big screen. Warner Bros. plans to release that pic in 2009 as well.

Stewart worked for Industrial Light and Magic before starting up The Orphanage with Stu Maschwitz and Jonathan Rothbart. Priest will be his second directorial effort for Screen Gems. He is currently in pre-production on the studio's Legion, a supernatural thriller about a group of strangers in a diner who learn that they may be humanity's last defense against the apocalypse foretold in the bible. Stewart also wrote the film, which is slated to hit theaters in 2010.

I always thought this film was a neat idea.

It would be nice if Gerry would do the role, but that might be wishful thinking... :wuv:

:erik: Erik's Ebony Eyes :phantom:

Ever since I had originally heard about this, I was excited.

I agree with Ebony Eyes, while I hope that Gerry might consider the part again, I am still excited to see this movie come to fruition.

I remember hearing about this too soundsl ike it would be great it Gerry were in it as well

thanks for sharing the news :)