Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
LADY ALEXANDRIA

CALL FOR RETURN OF WILLIAM WALLACE LETTER TO SCOTLAND

CALL FOR RETURN OF WILLIAM WALLACE LETTER TO SCOTLAND

The Lubeck Letter was written in 1297 and sent to Germany

.... ....

A call has been made for the only surviving document issued by William Wallace to be returned to Scotland.

The Lubeck Letter was sent by Wallace and Andrew Murray in 1297 to the mayors of Lubeck and Hamburg.

It was written following victory at the Battle of Stirling Bridge and informed German merchants that Scots ports were no longer under English control.

A parliamentary motion asking that it be released from Lubeck's National Archives has been lodged. ..

The motion was lodged by Mid Scotland and Fife MSP Murdo Fraser who believes it is one of the most significant documents in the country's history.

I would welcome the day when Scots are able to see the Lubeck Letter and the emblem of William Wallace in their country

Murdo Fraser

Mid Scotland and Fife MSP

.... ..The Conservative politician said: 'The letter is a link to a pivotal point in Scotland's history and gives an insight into William Wallace as the statesman and politician.

'William Wallace is rightly remembered as a hero to Scots for his great victories on the battlefield but this letter reveals another side to him which is not always mentioned in the history books.'

The letter has previously been lent to the Scottish Parliament for an exhibition and Mr Fraser wants ministers to begin a dialogue with the City of Lubeck's National Archives about having it on 'permanent loan'.

Mr Fraser said: 'I understand that Scotland has no claim for ownership of the item but I hope that goodwill and co-operation could result in the letter returning to Scotland.

'I would welcome the day when Scots are able to see the Lubeck Letter and the emblem of William Wallace in their country and this would be a gift for which Scotland would be forever indebted to the City of Lubeck.'

If the document, which is thought to carry the only known impression of Wallace's own seal, is returned to Scotland, Mr Fraser would like to see it stored in the Wallace Monument, near Stirling. ..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotlan...ral/7796121.stm

As you all well know I consider Sir William Wallace and Robert Burns two of my all time fave fellow Scots

Hugs

Lady Alexandria

Interesting and ironic as I came across this post while watching "Braveheart". This letter of Wallace's belongs in Scotland. Hope it finds it's way home.

HH

Interesting and ironic as I came across this post while watching "Braveheart". This letter of Wallace's belongs in Scotland. Hope it finds it's way home.

HH

The letter should be in Scotland, but remember it took over 900 years for the Stone of Scone to be returned from England! I found it unbelievable that the English refused to give it back to Scotland until the 1990's. Talk about holding a grudge! :p

Is there any way outsiders could help get this accomplished? Could a document to the right people signed by thousands requesting the return be effective?

Someone here must know how to get a letter of request started if it would benefit the cause.

Sandy

MORE ON BRINGING WILLIAM WALLACE LETTER BACK TO SCOTLAND

Hello Friends,

You know me and my passion for Scotland and my Grant Clan Heritage and how I love a great cause, I was pleased to receive this letter via email today from The Scottish Government on my offer to lend a hand:

TO: Sandra (Alexandria)

Ref: E/S7/901929 7 January 2009

Dear Sandra

Many thanks for your message in connection with the return of the Lubeck letter to Scotland. Thank you for the kind offer of help. I am currently pursuing this with the Scottish Government and I hope we can make some progress with the authorities in Lubeck to secure the return of the letter to Scotland at least on permanent loan.

Thank you for providing details of your activities with Clan Grant and with all the other things you are doing in relation to the Year of Homecoming. Your interest and commitment to Scotland is very much appreciate.

With best wishes.

Murdo Fraser MSP

Oksana Last - Personal Assistant to

Murdo Fraser MSP - Mid Scotland & Fife

Deputy Leader Scottish Conservatives & Spokesman for Education & Lifelong Learning

Hugs

Lady Alexandria

Anyone who like the email addy please contact me

TO: Sandra Horyski

> Ref: E/S7/901929 9 January 2009

>

>

>

> Dear Sandra

>

> Thanks for your further message.

>