Gerard Butler GALS

1/24 - Burns to film in 2009

sav8821

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a bonnie good day to become a new member with the other "gals!" I'm totally gobsmacked and speachless about Gerry being so closely involved with this project. I have all the confidence in the world he'll do a superlative job (as usual) especially because he's so passionate about it. All the hairs on my southern Clan Wallace head are standing on end. Ain't life grand??? I'm DEFINITELY on board with sending some $ for the cause!!!!!!! [/color]:wuv:

:whoa:

Edited by Scotslass53

This is such an historic role...part of the history of Scotland. Imagine what he and his family must be feeling...Your government putting the faith in you to play their nation's favorite son. They've got to be so proud, but so nervous at the same time. It doesn't matter if it's box office, but that would be nice. It just matters that Gerry will forever be tied to a part of his country's history. Burns' fanatics will be playing this movie for decades to come. And, Gerry will be the face of Burns to be remembered. How epic is that? I just hope they pick actresses from Scotland to be in the film as well. We don't need Julia Stiles trying to put on a Scots' accent. Even if you didn't appreciate Valerie Edmonds in OMK, she'd be the better choice. How about Emily Mortimer? It's been a long night at work, but this was always in my thoughts.

OH YES! She'd be perfect

This is such an historic role...part of the history of Scotland. Imagine what he and his family must be feeling...Your government putting the faith in you to play their nation's favorite son. They've got to be so proud, but so nervous at the same time. It doesn't matter if it's box office, but that would be nice. It just matters that Gerry will forever be tied to a part of his country's history. Burns' fanatics will be playing this movie for decades to come. And, Gerry will be the face of Burns to be remembered. How epic is that? I just hope they pick actresses from Scotland to be in the film as well. We don't need Julia Stiles trying to put on a Scots' accent. Even if you didn't appreciate Valerie Edmonds in OMK, she'd be the better choice. How about Emily Mortimer? It's been a long night at work, but this was always in my thoughts.

I just had to check back on here this morning to make sure that I wasn't dreaming yesterday about Gerard and the new Burns film....yep, it's all still here....this will be phenomenal, my heart is full of joy for you Gerard, so happy!!

Just waiting now to see if we can all contribute to the funding. Any news on that front? I'm off to Uni now so be back later.

Emily Mortimer is English but she does a mighty good Scots accent. How about Catherine McCormack (played Murun in Braveheart, Wallace's wife). She again is English but does a great Scots accent. I think Valerie Edmonds is superb too. Whoever they choose I'm sure will be excellent but I do think she should be Scottish or be very able to do a very good historical Scots accent.

Edited by jackie62

I hate to make waves, but unless they get some more big names in the cast in addition to Gerry, I forsee this being another limited release in the States. I'll bet the film distribution "powers that be" won't be able to wrap their heads around the fact that American audiences may be interested in this type of movie. Look what they did to RocknRolla! They are such dweebs! :(

Suzie

That's the only thing I foresee about Burns. It may be more difficult to see in the theater than RNR was, but I'm just glad Gerry gets to make it. With the Prime Minister of Scotland behind them, helping them to raise funds, I can't see them being stopped!

Lisa

Don't give Alex Salmond a more bigger head than he already has - he is First Minister not Prime Minister :funnyup: We have only one Prime Minister within the UK and that is Gordon Brown.

Moira

If I have to follow this one around to film festivals - or fly to Scotland to see it - I will. Thankfully being near L.A. means that even if it gets a limited U.S. release it will be shown around here - Dear Frankie played here for a couple of months (ducks flying dishware being thrown by those who live in more remote markets).

I'm sure if we can figure out a way for fans to participate as a subscriber to the film's financing we'll do whatever we can.

Doesn't the movie have two leading ladies? How about Beckinsdale and Blanchette? How about Winslett? If it is going to go worldwide including the US then they need to have an A-lister with GB. ESPECIALLY if the script is award material. It is going to have to be someone who can share the screen with Gerry and not be overpowered by the man's screen presense, including bedroom scenes. And what will get this US distribution? A heavy duty R rating... in my opinion.

AND THE OLDER SNARLING GB AS BURNS POSTER WOULD BE MUCH BETTER. THE CURRENT POSTER IS....WELL...BORING. YOU CAN'T EVEN SEE 'THE MAN'. HOW ABOUT A CLOSE-TO R RATED POSTER?

:hmm:

Edited by Lady Ski Bum

I am anxious to hear more as this moves along. I heard there is a place to vote for the actor you would most like to see play the role, and that there are four actors to choose from - and, yay, yay, Gerry is one of them. I hope it happens for him.

Cheers!

Doesn't the movie have two leading ladies? How about Beckinsdale and Blanchette? How about Winslett? If it is going to go worldwide including the US then they need to have an A-lister with GB. ESPECIALLY if the script is award material. It is going to have to be someone who can share the screen with Gerry and not be overpowered by the man's screen presense, including bedroom scenes. And what will get this US distribution? A heavy duty R rating... in my opinion.

AND THE OLDER SNARLING GB AS BURNS POSTER WOULD BE MUCH BETTER. THE CURRENT POSTER IS....WELL...BORING. YOU CAN'T EVEN SEE 'THE MAN'. HOW ABOUT A CLOSE-TO R RATED POSTER?

:hmm:

Don't suppose you would care to clarify what you mean by "close-to R rated" poster? GB shiirtless perhaps, or ...................shirtless in bed..............or................ :cunning:

James Cosmo, the producer of Burns and also OMK, wants to keep this production as Scottish as possible, with Scottish stars. I'm sure we'll find out soon who will be playing the major parts. I believe that Cosmo, along with Evil Twins, will find the best people for the roles. Evil Twins represents the American counterparts. Woot for Evil Twins!!

:yay::wuv:

If my priority wasn't moving I would be saving to go to Scotland just to see this movie! I'm with Susan, though - I'm sure it'll play in Los Angeles and New York at least. Sounds like another Gerry gathering could be in the works!

I also had a feeling ET would be a part of this. I've actually always kinda thought Burns was the main catalyst to Gerry forming the production company.

Darn it - I have to go to work. Keep the positive thoughts flowing, ladies! Nothing makes me more happy than all of us being behind this project together!!!

Lisa

PS: My bad, Moira. Sorry. LOL

My lovely Lisa,have a good day at work sweetheart. I'll behave while you're gone, but if Cheryl gets on soon I can't promise anything lol

I still wish there was a way, that GALS, possibly in combination with other websites, could join together, in a effort to contribute financially to bring Burns to the screen. The contribution could be large or small, but might be quite worthwhile.

Is there anyway the websites could send representatives to the Salmond dinner in May, at Edinborough Castle? Just a thought.

Another thought: there are numerous Scottish clans, with thousands of members scattered across the US. I belong to one. Perhaps some of these people, with their intense national pride in the country of their forebearers, would be interested in seeing BURNS brought to the screen.

:hmm::igotgals:

Edited by Emily Bronte

I still wish there was a way, that GALS, possibly in combination with other websites, could join together, in a effort to contribute financially to bring Burns to the screen. The contribution could be large or small, but might be quite worthwhile.

Is there anyway the websites could send representatives to the Salmond dinner in May, at Edinborough Castle? Just a thought.

Another thought: there are numerous Scottish clans, with thousands of members scattered across the US. I belong to one. Perhaps some of these people, with their intense national pride in the country of their forebearers, would be interested in seeing BURNS brought to the screen.

:hmm::igotgals:

I do agree with you. The amount of 'international Scots' out there must be huge! I'm sure something can be arranged and if it can be done, it will be done.

Isn't it wonderful that Gerry's career has come so far! He has his own production company & can now choose the roles he would most like to play. He will be amazing as Burns! Good for you Gerry! Acting isn't about how many Oscar nominations you get, it is the roles you get to play.

Isn't it wonderful that Gerry's career has come so far! He has his own production company & can now choose the roles he would most like to play. He will be amazing as Burns! Good for you Gerry! Acting isn't about how many Oscar nominations you get, it is the roles you get to play.

I do so agree with you. Gerard said it himself, the roles are the most important thing, not money or awards, although awards for what you do are very nice. Him playing Rabbie Burns will be phenomenal and I am sure will turn out to be one of his best performances.

As Susan stated in an earlier post after I initially suggested the idea at #40 if we can do something I am sure we will - after all we are all connected :wave: . I'm not a ballsy Scots for nothing and it helps working for the army!!!!. Be patient ladies :funnyface: . I have my contacts at relevant places.

I am just thrilled it is finally happening and glad to see Evil Twins is indeed involved and couldn't agree more with Lisa in that Gerry probably set up his own Production Company to do projects close to his heart and get this passion of his off the ground at last.

Moira

As Susan stated in an earlier post after I initially suggested the idea at #40 if we can do something I am sure we will - after all we are all connected :wave: . I'm not a ballsy Scots for nothing and it helps working for the army!!!!. Be patient ladies :funnyface: . I have my contacts at relevant places.

I am just thrilled it is finally happening and glad to see Evil Twins is indeed involved and couldn't agree more with Lisa in that Gerry probably set up his own Production Company to do projects close to his heart and get this passion of his off the ground at last.

Moira

Yay, Moira! That's the kind of talk I want to hear!

Swannie