Gerard Butler GALS

1/26 - Butler to Play Scottish Poet Burns

becozy

from: http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/artic...20burns_1092835

Actor GERARD BUTLER is to play legendary Scottish poet ROBERT BURNS in an upcoming biopic. The 300 star will take the title role alongside Julia Stiles in the film, which will detail Burns' love affairs with wife Jean Armour and society hostess Agnes 'Clarinda' MCLehose.

And the Scot admits he is delighted to have landed the part, because he is proud of his country's national figure.

He says, "In a way but I feel so lucky to have that opportunity because it's such a great story. I cajoled Julia Stiles into doing it but she told me it was the best script she'd read in years so she's on board. We cover Burns' life from the ploughman days to the Edinburgh society days and his take-off as a poet. It's beautiful, it's passionate, it's sexy, it's hilarious and it's really quite sad as well."

01/26/2009 01:13:22 PM

read the entire article here

id sure love to hear some response from gerry on this...!!! so far from all ive read, its just been press releases.....id like to hear it from his mouth you know??

Edited by nance

I think this is old news from a few years back. Why would GB say he was pleased to be selected if he is producing the movie? And Julia Stiles still with the project? She did say she was interested years ago but there are a number of better known actresses that would sign on now given GB's status in the industry.

:hmm:

I think this is old news from a few years back. Why would GB say he was pleased to be selected if he is producing the movie? And Julia Stiles still with the project? She did say she was interested years ago but there are a number of better known actresses that would sign on now given GB's status in the industry.

:hmm:

It is old news, I await Gerard's words with baited breath, that is if he has anymore to say on the matter. All I know is that he's honoured to be offered the part, so said Alex Salmonde in his speech.

I think this is an old "interview" from Gerry. I think Kate Winslet would be great in this and the other lead female, Cate Blancette. He's more of their level, in the industry now. I'm not that familiar with Julia Stiles although I'm sure she's a fine actress. But thanks for the info!

D

id love to see an unknown scottish actress in this....or i should say actresses..since there should be a few... :pointy:

i too assume this is an older press release, unless the bbc is down in philly getting his take on it... :spit: although i havent read anything that is stating his production company will be involved...i think thats just an assumption amongst isnt it??

Edited by nance

The problem with "unknown Scottish actresses" is that could assure that most of the world never sees the finished film. If they do manage to bring in a fairly well-known name it makes it more marketable to distributors worldwide. But the budget is not a big one - this is going to be a small-budget film so unless an actress wants to do it because of the script, or because of Gerry, it's not likely to get another big name attached to it based on salary. I'd love to see Sharon Small in a part, I just loved her as Marie in Dear Frankie, but she also isn't well-known internationally.

I hadn't read that Gerry is producing - it says James Cosmo (his co-star from OMK) is producing. It would be great if Evil Twins could co-produce but there may be stipulation about Scottish companies being involved since it is the Scottish government drumming up support for it now.

Guest pamelajane

Sorry to get off topic, but, jackie62, do you see the similarities in your siggie and this... :hmm:

I know, they're both Gerry, but the expressions look similar, to me anyway.

Carry on, Gals.

Edited by pamelajane

Sorry to get off topic, but, jackie62, do you see the similarities in your siggie and this... :hmm:

I know, they're both Gerry, but the expressions look similar, to me anyway.

Carry on, Gals.

I do see the similarity and I did think it before when I saw one of your posts.

Evil Twins are co-producing and James Cosmo is the producer.

Edited by jackie62

Guest pamelajane

I think this is an old "interview" from Gerry. I think Kate Winslet would be great in this and the other lead female, Cate Blancette. He's more of their level, in the industry now. I'm not that familiar with Julia Stiles although I'm sure she's a fine actress. But thanks for the info!

D

I totally agree about Kate Winslet and Cate Blanchett. I, personally think it can be an all UK cast and still sell in America. This production is not of the RnR genre. But, then, again, I also have to admit I'm not a big fan of Julia Stiles.

Edited by pamelajane

Susan

This was in the press release

The Producers are also currently in discussion with Scottish Screen, the country's screen development agency. The Film is being produced by The Mob Film Company and co produced by Evil Twins – the American film production company owned by Gerard Butler and Alan Siegel.

Moira

Guest pamelajane

But the budget is not a big one - this is going to be a small-budget film so unless an actress wants to do it because of the script, or because of Gerry, it's not likely to get another big name attached to it based on salary. I'd love to see Sharon Small in a part, I just loved her as Marie in Dear Frankie, but she also isn't well-known internationally.

I never thought of the salaries, but both Kate Winslet and Cate Blanchett have done lower budget movies. And I never thought of Sharon Small. She is a great actress, but unless one is a fan of Inspector Linley, a lot of Americans might not know her. But how many Americans knew Gerard Butler in 300? But, alas, I'm not in the industry, so it's just my two cents or in their case, two pence!

I hadn't read that Gerry is producing - it says James Cosmo (his co-star from OMK) is producing. It would be great if Evil Twins could co-produce but there may be stipulation about Scottish companies being involved since it is the Scottish government drumming up support for it now.[/color]

I read today that Evil Twins IS co-producing! Great news...I'm so excited for Gerry! I was thinking the other day that

we always want the best for our friends and are happy when something wonderful happens to them. I don't even know

Gerry of course, but the feeling I would have for a friend is how I feel about him getting to play Burns and Evil Twins being

involved. That affection and admiration I feel for him that makes me want to see him happy and successful in his life.

Also when you hear how wonderful he is with his fans, you can't help but want the best for him! I can honestly say I haven't

felt like this about any other actor.

from: http://www.contactmusic.com/news.nsf/artic...20burns_1092835

Actor GERARD BUTLER is to play legendary Scottish poet ROBERT BURNS in an upcoming biopic. The 300 star will take the title role alongside Julia Stiles in the film, which will detail Burns' love affairs with wife Jean Armour and society hostess Agnes 'Clarinda' MCLehose.

And the Scot admits he is delighted to have landed the part, because he is proud of his country's national figure.

He says, "In a way but I feel so lucky to have that opportunity because it's such a great story. I cajoled Julia Stiles into doing it but she told me it was the best script she'd read in years so she's on board. We cover Burns' life from the ploughman days to the Edinburgh society days and his take-off as a poet. It's beautiful, it's passionate, it's sexy, it's hilarious and it's really quite sad as well."

Appreciate the news Thank you frannie .By the I get alot of errors on this site and cant post does this happen often?

01/26/2009 01:13:22 PM

read the entire article here

I'm so happy. I have waited with great anticipation for this to happen. I'm glad it waited long enough for Evil Twins to be involved. That will Gerry far more say about the film.

I'm so happy for him.

I knew this was correct because Mr. Salmonte is getting the country involved and would never have done that without first checking with Gerry to see if he was still available, or maybe Alan got him involved to help with the financing. Anyway, I don't care as long as Gerry gets to do Burns.

Adawuchi,

Love him absolutely,

Sandy

That is fantastic news that Evil Twins is co-producing. :cheer2: First, because it insures Gerry's involvement and some level of creative control of the final product, and second because it means more likelihood (I hope) that it will get American distribution. This just keeps sounding better and better - regardless of who he gets as co-stars. I love both Kate Winslet and Cate Blanchett even if neither is Scottish.