Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
TheBlonde

Are you unsure about Vegas?

If you are a...

Child you mark time from one birthday/Christmas to the next.

Teacher..... Labor Day to Memorial Day.

CPA ..... April 15 to April 15.

Co-ed...... Spring Break to Spring Break.

BUT If you are a GAL....

Departing LAS to Arriving LAS :cunning:

VEGAS BABY!!! 21 WEEKS TO GO!!! :woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

WOOHOO!!!!!!!

Posted ImagePosted Image

:woohoo:

WOW -- thats GREATNESS --

and I SOOOO agree!!!!!

cant wait -- WOOOT VEGAS BABY!!!!!!!!!!

I started this thread as a count down of sorts to Vegas. But being the lazy Gutter Rat I am, promptly found distractions in chocolate, Gerry pics, napping... the usual.

Anyway I wondered how many GALS are hesitating in going to Vegas this year? And the follow up question. Whyyyyyy? :kisswink: (for Holly)

My first Vegas con was in 2007. I missed 2008 for family obligations. I'm not typically afraid of meeting strangers, but I admit there was a moment or two of "I'm nuts for this." HOWEVER, it turned out to be the most rewarding thing outside of motherhood I've done FOR MYSELF in the last 14 years.

I think FOR MYSELF is the kicker. We all feel the camaraderie and support from this online community, but it pales in comparison to BEING with these women.

GALS has become so much more than a fan site for Gerry. And the motto "Encourage, Empower, Enlighten" ....you can FEEL that at the con. They aren't just beautiful words, it's the living pulse of this community. And you can feel it feeding you for two or three days. Too often we, especially women, believe we must sacrifice all to the family or the job. And our sacrifices are fine and noble and good. It is for those sacrifices that we deserve 48 hours of just "being me".

I found the me, I like best because of this FANmily. It is empowering, encouraging, enlightening to just BE KB for a while.

They say laughter heals. In Vegas we laugh till we cry and we sometimes cry until we laugh and are surrounded by people who "get it".

PLUS...

You don't have to get rolling eye cramps when asked "Gerard who?"

you don't have to explain why 3am or pm gives you a secret smile.

You don't' have to justify why yellow towels are just fluffier and prettier.

Everyone understands why watching seahorses in a tank is soothing.

The list is endless.

If you are unsure...

“Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.”

Please don't hesitate, ladies.

I have only been to one and let me tell you I met some of the most amazing women. This is the one thing a year that I will do for myself for sure but it's worth it just to be with my kind of people again. Go on and make that deposit. You'll have a blast.

Sadly, the financial crunch and my health issues are preventing me from coming this year, but I expect to be there next year. I think this year, finances may be a factor for many who haven't decided yet, but ladies...if it is at all possible... you just have to try, and you'll never regret it.

Swannie

Hey Ladies

I wanted to throw in :2cents:

I joined GALS in feb '06 and 4 months later I arrived in vegas...........how did this happen?

I took that leap of faith that at times we all need to do for ourselves. I had formed "online friendships" with alot of the Gals and decided that this was something I wanted to do and had funds to do. I was fearful of many things, traveling alone, would I get on with anyone? would I have fun? would I be safe? will I be laughed at for doing this crazy thing? Have I lost my mind?

This quote sums it up perfect for what happened to me

Rosa Parks ~I have learned over the years that when one's mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear.

One day i made my mind up and booked it all..........got a roomie in the roomie thread chatted with them (jillybean & Issy) and went on my way.

I will never forget the fear walking into Pedro's(think that was the name) in the Sahara and nervously going up to a table full of women I'd never met before and saying "emmm are you Gals? I'm Snap" ....let me tell you the deafening SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE that came about was so heartwarming and that was it...........Friends.......no akwardness, no weirdness just simple comfortable friendship. The women I met for those 4 days are still friends to this day, it was one of the best times of my life.......I was all set to go back in '07 but I had a personal issue that I couldn't.......I did reappear in '08 and that was an awesome shin-dig as well.

All plans are in motion for '09 and God willing I get to party again....

Hope to see you all there!

Snap

x

I can still remember that SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE in the restaurant that evening, Celine. One of my top memories from that convention. I also remember a similar SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE as you walked out of the elevator at the Hilton last year. It truly completed the circle for me. Of course, the folks around us thought we were nuts but who cares. :confused: I sure didn't. :lol:

The time with folks you share a common interest with is priceless. You always find so many more things that you share. We truly are "All Connected."

:hugs:

Jilly

I can still remember that SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE in the restaurant that evening, Celine. One of my top memories from that convention. I also remember a similar SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE as you walked out of the elevator at the Hilton last year. It truly completed the circle for me. Of course, the folks around us thought we were nuts but who cares. :confused: I sure didn't. :lol:

The time with folks you share a common interest with is priceless. You always find so many more things that you share. We truly are "All Connected."

Jilly

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE and death grip hug that was really cool!!! LOL

This will be my first convention this year and I'm sure not my last!

I'm so excited to go and meet all the fabulous people I've been chatting with here.

It will be such a blast to put faces with all the names. I'm not a shy person so look out GALS!!

Until June,

Cheryl

I am not hesitating for fear of strangers, or being alone in Vegas ( I know I won't be alone, b/c I'd be with all YOU Gals!) but I think my husband would have a stroke if he knew I wantd to go meet like-minded women.

You see I don't think he realizes how deep my crush on Gerry is. I think he'd have a really hard time with knowing about it. He knows I have a picture of a really cute guy on my phone, but that's about as far as he thinks it goes.

Any one else's husband not on board with the whole Gerry crush?

Jilly

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE and death grip hug that was really cool!!! LOL

Abso-frickin'-lutely. :lol:

:hug1: Not quite a boob-squishing one, but close.

PS I Love Gerry - My hubby seemed to be fine with me going when he realized that it was really all about just meeting up with a bunch of girls for a weekend of giggling and having some "girl talk" for a few day. I know that seems like a simple answer but he was fine with it. He knows about my crush and likes knowing I've made some new friends because of it. Granted, I don't plaster G's picture everywhere but he is fine with it.

I have to tell you, though. When I got home and shared my excitement with my mother, I got a lecture about "meeting up with strangers" that I only knew through the internet. *sigh* I'm a grown woman. I wasn't out there meeting strangers. Simply friends that I hadn't seen face to face yet. There really is a difference. However, that taught me a lesson that not everyone "gets" that you can have fun with folks that you might not run into at the grocery store. If the subject comes up, I tell them I'm meeting up with some girlfriends for a weekend in Vegas and that seems to cover it for all concerned.

Hope that helps. :kisswink:

I missed out on '06 because of cash, but I was a verra willing participant in '07 & '08. '09 is up in the air because of family health issues, but God willing, I will be there this year as well.

PS I Love Gerry~ my hubby doesn't get my Gerrydom at all. But, since he doesn't care to get it, I go on my merry way. In my particular circumstances, I do what I want, and Vegas is my one chance a year to not have to be Mommy and wife. The rest of the year I take care of business. But come June, my GALS take care of ME.

I joined GALS 1 month after the 06 convention was held, so I missed that one, but in 07 I took that leap and attended by myself!!!My husband knew all about Gerry...he and my son attended an event in Chicago with me...he was still in the "just starting to get it stages", so he wasn't too happy about me going by myself, and didn't quite understand why I needed it....I stuck to my guns for myself for once and I did it!!!I flew for the first time to a place I had only dreamed of visiting and met up with almost total strangers, other than what I knew of them online....it was the best decision I ever made...heck I even jumped in feet first by doing a stand up comic act in the talent show......the best part of the whole thing was the wonderful lady that was my roommate....we had never met, but we became instant friends, and will be forever.......in 08, I took hubby with me......needless to say, now he gets it.....he understands that we're not just a bunch of women fawning over the wonderful man that is Gerry Butler...GALS is so much more......sadly I won't be going in 09 due to money issues, and I promised my son that I would stay home and we would take a family vacation.....I keep my promises.....I will be very sad to miss it, but I have already promised myself that I WILL be there in 10.......so if any of you are questioning going...DON'T!!!!If you have the means...DO IT!!!!!You will never regret it!!!!

I'm gutted I can't come this year as my colleague has booked the whole of June off - I'm surprised she got it but hey its her leave.

I came last year and had a blast. It is so good to finally meet people you consider online friends. CUT last year was my first proper Gals trip and I had only met a couple before at GB.Net Convention in Glasgow and was a bit nervous but I needn't have been because I was with so many amazing women who "got" what I did. I guess because alot of those same women were going to Vegas in 08 I wasn't too nervous that time.

One thing I will say is if you are thinking about going and you are by yourself - you have to initially put yourself out to go and speak to people - There is normally a bit of meet and greet on the Thursday night so that is an ideal time to make your arrival known and to start making friends. I know we can be nervous about making the first move but we hear time and time again from individuals that this was an issue they found difficult and because they were not outgoing and others did not automatically make the first move some felt a bit out of it shall we say.

I would say people have to appreciate alot already know each other and sometimes don't think of those first time attendees who show by themselves so are not neccessarily looking out for them so that is why you have to pluck up the courage and make the first move - then you will start having a blast. Don't feel like you are intruding on already formed friendships as we hate to hear people have maybe not enjoyed it totally because of this reason.

Moira

I started this thread as a count down of sorts to Vegas. But being the lazy Gutter Rat I am, promptly found distractions in chocolate, Gerry pics, napping... the usual.

Anyway I wondered how many GALS are hesitating in going to Vegas this year? And the follow up question. Whyyyyyy? :kisswink: (for Holly)

My first Vegas con was in 2007. I missed 2008 for family obligations. I'm not typically afraid of meeting strangers, but I admit there was a moment or two of "I'm nuts for this." HOWEVER, it turned out to be the most rewarding thing outside of motherhood I've done FOR MYSELF in the last 14 years.

I think FOR MYSELF is the kicker. We all feel the camaraderie and support from this online community, but it pales in comparison to BEING with these women.

GALS has become so much more than a fan site for Gerry. And the motto "Encourage, Empower, Enlighten" ....you can FEEL that at the con. They aren't just beautiful words, it's the living pulse of this community. And you can feel it feeding you for two or three days. Too often we, especially women, believe we must sacrifice all to the family or the job. And our sacrifices are fine and noble and good. It is for those sacrifices that we deserve 48 hours of just "being me".

I found the me, I like best because of this FANmily. It is empowering, encouraging, enlightening to just BE KB for a while.

They say laughter heals. In Vegas we laugh till we cry and we sometimes cry until we laugh and are surrounded by people who "get it".

PLUS...

You don't have to get rolling eye cramps when asked "Gerard who?"

you don't have to explain why 3am or pm gives you a secret smile.

You don't' have to justify why yellow towels are just fluffier and prettier.

Everyone understands why watching seahorses in a tank is soothing.

The list is endless.

If you are unsure...

“Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.”

Hey Ladies

I wanted to throw in :2cents:

I joined GALS in feb '06 and 4 months later I arrived in vegas...........how did this happen?

I took that leap of faith that at times we all need to do for ourselves. I had formed "online friendships" with alot of the Gals and decided that this was something I wanted to do and had funds to do. I was fearful of many things, traveling alone, would I get on with anyone? would I have fun? would I be safe? will I be laughed at for doing this crazy thing? Have I lost my mind?

This quote sums it up perfect for what happened to me

Rosa Parks ~I have learned over the years that when one's mind is made up, this diminishes fear; knowing what must be done does away with fear.

One day i made my mind up and booked it all..........got a roomie in the roomie thread chatted with them (jillybean & Issy) and went on my way.

I will never forget the fear walking into Pedro's(think that was the name) in the Sahara and nervously going up to a table full of women I'd never met before and saying "emmm are you Gals? I'm Snap" ....let me tell you the deafening SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE that came about was so heartwarming and that was it...........Friends.......no akwardness, no weirdness just simple comfortable friendship. The women I met for those 4 days are still friends to this day, it was one of the best times of my life.......I was all set to go back in '07 but I had a personal issue that I couldn't.......I did reappear in '08 and that was an awesome shin-dig as well.

All plans are in motion for '09 and God willing I get to party again....

Hope to see you all there!

Snap

x

Blonde and Snap,

You captured in words my feelings exactly!

This is my first Vegas Con and I am soooo looking forward to it!

You are right; it is a little frightening...but hey, I say LETS HAVE A GREAT ADVENTURE!!!! And I know GALS won't let me down!!!

I look forward to meeting all of you deliciously fabulous GALS when I get there!

So, I raise my Gerr-ita to you all and shout..... :vegasbaby: !!! :drink::cunning:

Cheers Ladies!!!!

Raz :kisswink:

Edited by razberry

Very like Celine, I was nervous about my first convention (in 07). I was a fairly new widow who had been protected and cherished for 30 years. I was sort of timid and rudderless for a long time. (I know, ME TIMID???? HA!) I was terrified of flying, scared about being on my own, and just generally lonely and unhappy.....till I got GALS! I met Lady Elissa here shortly before a showing of Beowulf and Grendel in Austin, and we became fast friends. (Turned out she only lived only a few blocks from me!) When talk of Vegas came up, I suddenly wasn't so worried about getting on an airplane because I was going to Vegas to meet a bunch of women who had been so warm and supportive to me on line. My family thought I had gone 'round the bend and they were very nervous about me meeting up with people I'd met on line. But I knew better. I always say Gerry and GALS gave me the confidence and reassurance to do whatever made me happy!

It was a little weird when we arrived early (we got there on Wednesday) and it wasn't until Friday when everyone got their convention badges that we were able to tell who was with GALS and who wasn't.....I learned not to approach every group of women I met with "YOU"RE GALS, right??? unless they were wearing Gerry tee shirts or badges! OOPS! Note: That is not a problem with Elissa and me. Our chests will be decorated with with pictures of Gerry or GALS tees, and we'll be carrying 12" Gerry Mandolls!! Walk on up and say HOWDY when you see us!

The conventions are a wonderful opportunity to mingle with the word's most warm and wonderful, savvy and intelligent women you'll ever meet....and some of the goofiest! AND we all have great taste in Scots! GALS has given me a strength and confidence I've never had and I refuse to be limited in my goals because of what I learned in Vegas and from GALS!

COME TO VEGAS - I promise that if you don't come away with anything else, you WILL come away with lots of laughter, a few tears, lots of squeeing, drool spots and many memories!

:read::vegasbaby::cleavage:

Suzie

Edited by Texas gramma