Gerard Butler GALS

2/6 - Watchmen composer crafts emotional soundscape

from: http://www.reuters.com/article/musicNews/i...E5160HS20090207

excerpt...

Billboard: In "Watchmen," there's a comic within the graphic novel called "Tales of the Black Freighter." How did you differentiate the score for that versus the score for the main narrative?

Bates: "Black Freighter" is being read concurrently through the graphic novel -- it's not as clearly emphasized in the film, but it's a throwback in terms of narrative. It's a tale of pirates, so I wanted to give it its own sound, something related to "Watchmen" but not requote any themes to convolute the "Watchmen" story itself. There are things about it that make it feel a little older, and Gerard Butler narrates the entire thing, so basically a lot of the colors I chose were something that I hoped would complement his performance.

read the entire article here

I'm not going to be watching The Black Freighter or the Watchmen movie. I read The Watchmen and Black Freighter is going to be very bloody and gorey in the extreme. Watchmen is not a favorite of mine either. I like heroes to be just that in the movies. I own most of GB's other movies but these two I will pass on...I would STRONGLY recommend that GALS read the Black Freighter before spending the money for the DVD or send me an E-mail and I can tell you a spoiler that might help...

:hmm:

Edited by Lady Ski Bum

Gerry's awesome voice is what got me hooked on this beautiful man in 1997. I can still hear his voice in my mind and that Lil' boy laugh, And OMG, that smile that clinched the deal for me. Got me then, has kept me always and will keep me forever. Sometimes I just close my eyes and listen to him talk no matter what it is he is talking about!! I just dream he is in the room with me and I could listen to him forever! I know that sounds silly, but to my ears Gerry's voice is so beautiful and makes me feel so good. If he ever got around to making a CD, my Lil' arse would camp out over night to get it first thing in the morning where ever it was being sold!!!!! I have "Shadow Company" and I listen to Gerry with my eyes closed sometimes and that is all I sometimes watch the DVD for. I have seen it so many times, now it's for Gerry 'that' see it for. He talks and you can watch him talk to the interviewer for almost a total hour on the DVD "Wrath of Gods". He is in costume and he is absolutely beautiful. :thud:

Gerry's awesome voice is what got me hooked on this beautiful man in 1997. I can still hear his voice in my mind and that Lil' boy laugh, And OMG, that smile that clinched the deal for me. Got me then, has kept me always and will keep me forever. Sometimes I just close my eyes and listen to him talk no matter what it is he is talking about!! I just dream he is in the room with me and I could listen to him forever! I know that sounds silly, but to my ears Gerry's voice is so beautiful and makes me feel so good. If he ever got around to making a CD, my Lil' arse would camp out over night to get it first thing in the morning where ever it was being sold!!!!! I have "Shadow Company" and I listen to Gerry with my eyes closed sometimes and that is all I sometimes watch the DVD for. I have seen it so many times, now it's for Gerry 'that' see it for. He talks and you can watch him talk to the interviewer for almost a total hour on the DVD "Wrath of Gods". He is in costume and he is absolutely beautiful. :thud:

Hi Joanna

Oh, my God... I totally agree with you... and you'll never sound silly, but perfectly right in every word you wrote here..

I´m crazy for his voice so ... come on, Gerry, talk to me... let me hear your voice... ever...

Ma :music:

Edited by maria cordovil

I'm not looking forward to hearing Gerry's voice. What I am looking forward to is his vocal characterization of another dramatic role. "Freighter" may not be the genre I usually go for, but I wouldn't miss another opportunity to see his talents on display.

Swannie

Gerry's beautiful speaking voice is one of his greatest assets, and Zack Snyder knows that. I don't pretend to be an expert on Watchmen and Black Freighter, but I did buy a copy when I was at CC last summer, and read it pretty thoroughly, before I passed it on to my SIL, who is really more familiar with Watchmen and all its "heroes."

Black Freighter is the darkest story (actually sub story) in Watchmen. Maybe the most challenging, emotionally. As we know, Gerry does "dark" so very well.

Black Freighter may not be for everyone, but I can't wait!! "Bring it on," as Gerry would say!

GB's voice will capture us once again. Yes, some of the images may be very disturbing. I see this as a great opportunity for Gerry to really emote. Black Freighter is a very unique opportunity for a dramatic actor.

He has an exceptional speaking voice........it is part of his charisma.

:poof::gotgals: