Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
SouthernGirl28

What "Gerry Movie" comforts you?

For me it would be Dear Frankie. Gerry is so wonderful in this role, so somber and grave, each gesture simple and understated. I love how his character suggests a hidden world of heartbreak and sadness. But yet his inherent decency and goodness responds to Frankie and Lizzie. When he finally goes back to his ship, not only are Frankie and Lizzie in a more positive place, but the Stranger is a changed man as well. And I find it so lovely and touching. By the time it’s reveled that the Stranger is Marie’s brother there is no doubt in my mind that he will find his way back to Frankie and Lizzie.

My Gerry Movie that comforts me is Dear Frankie. I loved Gerry as the stranger, it's the only role I can think of, I don't want to kick the TV cause he's dying or he's a jerk like in Shattered.

I am home with a cold today and I have already watched PSILY and Nim. I might veer away from GB for a few hours and watch some Star Wars, or Transformers or Jurassic Park III. I always have a movie day with a bad cold since I don't have the energy to read...BUT 300 sure sounds tempting. YUP, 300 it is.

You have great taste in movies!!! All the ones that are some of my go-to movies, as well (although I'm partial to the first Jurassic Park movie).

I would have to say "Dear Frankie" or "PS I Love You" for comfort. The movie changes with the mood, but these two are great when I am under the weather and need comforting.

Sally

You know, as I was sitting here reading these posts and thinking about everyone's personal choices for movies, I think about when I want to watch a movie and how my dogs are all over me (they own the living room) and it's hard for me to get in to them sometimes because of all the dogs trying to vie for their positions around me! I often wonder where Gerry would fit in on the couch with me! The dogs would definately have to go out!

Anyway, I love to watch different ones for different moods and to watch PSILY, I have to be in the right frame of mind. Same with 300. I might be in a mood to kick some arse and need to get pumped up, POTO I can watch just about any mood but I still watch it and hope that Christine will change her mind and run off with the Phantom! DARN! :funnyup:

D

I'm curious about something ... Is there anyone here who once in a while finds that they CAN'T watch a Gerry movie? That it's too painful sometimes? Whether it's because of feelings for Gerry or the subject matter or the emotions the film brings up?

Anyone care to admit it? I will. I already said I can't watch PSILY. POTO as well makes me cry not for Erik or Christine but because I relate to Erik too closely. I'll watch it any chance I get though. It's one of those movies that even though it makes me sad, I can't NOT watch it I love it so much.

Anyway, I'd like to know I'm not alone ....

sometimes watching PSILY is tough

sometimes I watch a movie then cant watch it for the longest time no reason at all...not just Gerry movies

even if I love the movie and sometimes Im obsessed and watch certain movies 300 times lol!

Like Memoirs of A Geisha, I can almost speak the words along with the characters

I cant possibly live without Dear Frankie Attila and 300 Miracle Match {if I had to choose but I love them all}

Edited by Guest

I'm curious about something ... Is there anyone here who once in a while finds that they CAN'T watch a Gerry movie? That it's too painful sometimes? Whether it's because of feelings for Gerry or the subject matter or the emotions the film brings up?

Oh no, you're not alone.

*pushes past everyone and tackles Pam*

OMG come here you!!!!

On a serious note, I saw One More Kiss once.

I own the movie, yet have only seen it once.

I could only watch it once.

I don't think I will ever watch it again.

While I knew I'd only be able to see it once,

I knew I had to own it.

So it sits on my Gerard Butler DVD shelf, and there it will always sit.

PSILY is something I can only watch with my fellow GALS.

I don't think I can watch it alone again.

Like, OMK, it's just too much for me.

:hug1:

Bethy

I love PSILY. It does change dependeing on my mood. It's uplifting knowing that he loved Holly so much that he wrote those letters for her to cope, and that he knew she would eventually be able to move on. it's also so sad that such a great relationship was torn apart by cancer. Weee what a roller coaster! But such a fabulous performance from Gerry!

Dear Frankie, and Phantom I love for the story. I just like seeing Gerry!!

I agree with Bethy on One More Kiss. I watched it once. He's beuatiful in it but it's hard to get over the way he treats his wife!

Cheryl

I'm curious about something ... Is there anyone here who once in a while finds that they CAN'T watch a Gerry movie?

As I stated in Vegas, PSILY is "emotional kryptonite" for me.

Michael gave me a trip to Ireland for Christmas. I thought I could watch PSILY (a YEAR after seeing it in the theater) as it played on HBO. I simply wanted to enjoy the scenes shot in Ireland. I was wrong. I was completely and thoroughly mind f*cked -- again -- for 3 days. Not only did I find myself still not liking the movie, I actually resent it on a bunch of different levels. I appreciate that there are those who perceive this movie as "hopeful." It's the exact opposite (in the extreme) to my pysche. I can barely get my mind around how someone can get anything positive out of it at all. I will never watch this one again.

As for G movies that I enjoy more with every viewing: RNR, 300 and POTO. I like DF, too -- but it's as much for the location and Gerry's appearance as anything else. WombRaider is a sure thing, too -- but strictly for accent and appearance.

I'm curious about something ... Is there anyone here who once in a while finds that they CAN'T watch a Gerry movie?

As I stated in Vegas, PSILY is "emotional kryptonite" for me.

Michael gave me a trip to Ireland for Christmas. I thought I could watch PSILY (a YEAR after seeing it in the theater) as it played on HBO. I simply wanted to enjoy the scenes shot in Ireland. I was wrong. I was completely and thoroughly mind f*cked -- again -- for 3 days. Not only did I find myself still not liking the movie, I actually resent it on a bunch of different levels. I appreciate that there are those who perceive this movie as "hopeful." It's the exact opposite (in the extreme) to my pysche. I can barely get my mind around how someone can get anything positive out of it at all.

Oh Spotty! Same here, my friend. It takes me days to get over the movie so I've just stopped watching it. It just rips me up inside my head, and makes me feel horrible. I'm so glad we're not alone. It evokes so many different emotions, but finally by the end I feel so empty inside.

I love the term "emotional kryptonite". Perfectly describes it.

:wave:Ok...call me crazy! My first and always love will be Phantom! :donjuan: Then, I love :drac: Dracula 2000. I just love the twist! I will watch any and all of Gerry's movies except that :whoopdedoo: >IMHO< stupid "shooters". The ONLY part of that movie, is of course the yellow towel!

Great thread! For sheer comfort and warm fuzzies, it's Dear Frankie. Not was Gerard brilliant in it, I love the story, direction and everyone else's acting.

However, I find I watch 300 or Beowulf more frequently because they inspire me to get through my exercises. I *loathe* exercising!! If I must do it, Leo and his leather speedo or Wulfy and his mighty weapon provide lots of inspiration. They're both good for elevating my heart rate, if you know what I mean... :pant:

Although I love Gerry’s performance in PSILY, I tend to only watch his scenes and skip over the rest. Not because it’s painful but because I’m disappointed in the fact that GB is not used enough in this role. Plus it really pissed me off that Gerry Kennedy’s final letter to Holly was read in that flat, inexpressive way by Harry Connick Jr. Gerard Butler is a gifted and emotionally truthful actor, Phantom and The Jury demostrate his skills very clearly. I wanted to hear Gerry Kennedy read that final letter. The one place in the film where I thought a flash back to a sick Gerry Kennedy would of worked was when Patricia told Holly that she helped Gerry K plan everything. Can you imagine a scene between Kathy Bates and Gerard Butler? Where Gerry gets make his case to his skeptical Mother in Law, on how much he wants to help the love of his life begin her life’s journey without him? Gerry would have owned that moment. Okay, so my avoidance isn’t because of pain but annoyance. I should take this up with Richard La Gravenese I suppose. But I wanted some closure for Gerry Kennedy in that movie and they never delivered it.

Anyone care to admit it? I will. I already said I can't watch PSILY. POTO as well makes me cry not for Erik or Christine but because I relate to Erik too closely. I'll watch it any chance I get though. It's one of those movies that even though it makes me sad, I can't NOT watch it I love it so much.

I'm the same way about PSILY. I've watched it 3 times, when I first got it, and haven't been able to put it on since. When Holly is going thru all the emotions about not being able to see Gerry, touch him, talk to him anymore, I feel every one of them because I know I will never do any of those things with Gerry either, and it just hurts.

I ache for Erik and also wish just once Christine would wake up and make the right choice (IMO). But it's still my fave and I will watch it till the DVD wears out! I keep going back to Beowulf and Dracula when I just need to fill TV time (you know -- 1000 channels and nothing on!) And I think I'll be adding "One More Kiss" to that list too.

But no matter the role, there's always something of Gerry there that just reaches out to us. And we can't help but reach back.

:wuv::cloud9:

Edited by cronewolfe

howdy gals i find myself putting in gerry's movies when ever i get bored. my fav is 300, closely followed by RNR. also phantom gives me quite a bit of comfort since it is so beautiful. The music is fantistic. take care ladies see you in the funny papers!!! dede

Although I love Gerry’s performance in PSILY, I tend to only watch his scenes and skip over the rest. Not because it’s painful but because I’m disappointed in the fact that GB is not used enough in this role. Plus it really pissed me off that Gerry Kennedy’s final letter to Holly was read in that flat, inexpressive way by Harry Connick Jr. Gerard Butler is a gifted and emotionally truthful actor, Phantom and The Jury demostrate his skills very clearly. I wanted to hear Gerry Kennedy read that final letter. The one place in the film where I thought a flash back to a sick Gerry Kennedy would of worked was when Patricia told Holly that she helped Gerry K plan everything. Can you imagine a scene between Kathy Bates and Gerard Butler? Where Gerry gets make his case to his skeptical Mother in Law, on how much he wants to help the love of his life begin her life’s journey without him? Gerry would have owned that moment. Okay, so my avoidance isn’t because of pain but annoyance. I should take this up with Richard La Gravenese I suppose. But I wanted some closure for Gerry Kennedy in that movie and they never delivered it.

I find that aspect of PSILY unsatisfying too. I rented it recently and ended up doing the same thing, just watching his scenes. (A funny side note, my daughter made her BF watch it with her...she says she did better this time, went through 8 tissues instead of 14.) I would have liked to see sick Gerry Kennedy 'practicing' in front of Kathy Bates, instead of in the travel agency. Can you imagine Patrica's reaction? I don't want to say much more for the sake of those who might not have had a chance to see that scene.

No Lisa you aren't alone!

I love 300 but that very last shot of all of them laying there is so painful to watch imo :)

April

Well,if I want to bawl my head off,PSILY, I cried alllllllll the way through that movie first time I saw it and then cried 3/4 of the time the 2nd time I saw it,I'm wondering if I see it enough time,if I can make it through without crying,doubt it.

But to be honest,I don't like to cry a whole lot,when i'm down I am more of a 'Pull myself up by my bootstraps' type of person, I'm more of a fight than flight type . So,when I'm down I'd prefer to watch 300 because it gets you all pumped up and ready to fight and overcome whatever is weighing you down. So....300 for me,plus all the nice looking guys with big muscles kinda helps too ;)

Hmm...definitely Phantom or PSILY...of course my options are a bit limited because I only own 3 of his movies...Phantom, PSILY, and Beouwulf and Grendel....

For that "warm and fuzzy all over" feeling it has to be "Dear Frankie" hands down...but for break my heart "Phantom of the Opera" does it every time...sniff sniff as for PSILY...it makes me laugh and cry all at the same time!

When I'm feeling down, I like to watch POTO, Timeline, or Dear Frankie. If I want a good laugh, I like to watch Rocknrolla or TUT. And if I just want to drool over Gerry for a while, I watch Dracula, Tomb Raider 2, or Attila. Of course, I ALWAYS love to watch POTO! :D