Gerard Butler GALS

Falling deeper in love with Gerry! Phantom related

SouthernGirl28

Hi ladies,

Well, with Erik being a hot topic in the siggy piggy clubhouse I got the urge to pull out my se of Phantom! I've had it since December and am just now watching it. I've watched my single disc several times.

I fell deeper in love(if that's possible) with Gerry while watching the special features! Watching him so patiently sit there while they took hours to do his makeup and hair and then seeing Gerry look in the mirror at his transformed self and stick his pouty lip out and then smile! I'm so gone after that! It breaks your heart watching him stick his lip out.

Off to watch the movie disc :)

April

April, :D

Me too! I'm going to play that video tonight. Since my encounter with him I too can not believe how much more I have fallen for him. He is the essence of the perfect man we all wish we had in our lives. This was the movie that sealed it for me although I remember him very well as Attila first.

Barbara :wave:

I must confess that my GALS started exactly in the same way! It was some 2 years ago, I bought POTO on DVD (2disc edition) and liked it very much, then I watched the extra features, and then it happened. Those shots with him having the prosthectics made (and then smiling), the big respect and passion he showed during the interview, these were things that really impressed me (and still do if I watch it again). :pointy::pointy::pointy:

April, :D

Me too! I'm going to play that video tonight. Since my encounter with him I too can not believe how much more I have fallen for him. He is the essence of the perfect man we all wish we had in our lives. This was the movie that sealed it for me although I remember him very well as Attila first.

Barbara :wave:

I watched POTO yesterday and this will always be the one that brought me to Gerry and GALS.

D

Barbara! That siggy! The lyrics you have on it is so perfect and one of my favorites! For anyone who wants to hear the entire song.....

I'm officially hook, line, and sinker for our beloved Erik!

Ya know, I get all warm and fuzzy when someone else falls so hard for my Beloved. :wuv:

Please tell me ladies, is it just Gerry's portrayal of him, or is it that you find yourself seeking out all things Erik?

While I fully admit that is was Gerry who brought me to Erik; once I saw him, I had to find out more. What was it about this man who captures people so? For me, I think it was when I began to dig into the 'backstory'. The very real possibility that Erik was once a living, breathing man.

Here it is almost three years later and my fascination with him and his story only continues to grow. I read articles about the Opera, stories about how the various authors and composers were inspired by this lonely misunderstoood man who only wanted to be loved for who he was.

The underlining thing of being loved is what appeals to most of us I think. We all want what Erik never got; so we project that love on him.

I often ask my self if I could really love Erik the way he was originally written (severly deformed and <really> not much to look at). It is not an easy question to answer. I think if I had the opprotunity to get to know him, with out the distraction of how he looked, I could accept his deformity when he decided to show me. Yes, I would be shocked. (Really, who wouldn't?) But I hope that I am a big enough person, to get past it quickly and truly see the beautiful man he is.

There is a Phoenix policeman here, who's story helps me to understand. He was a patrolman; married with 3 small kids and one on the way, who was rear-ended in his cruiser one night by a drunk driver. The car burst in to flames and Jason (the officer) was severly burned over 90% of his body. He was not expected to survive the night. He did, and for the next 8 months, went through Hell; fighting to live every day. Jason recovered but at a terrible cost. He now resembles how Laroux described Erik, a man with barely a face. His children were afraid of him for months, but his wife stayed by his side, loving him and helping him to regain the man he was. I am happy to say that Jason Sheckterly(sp?) is still an active duty Phoenix police officer, although he no longer goes out on patrol, he is a Detective. He has, since the accident, had another child and the family is a shining sexample of how with love you can over come just about anything.

So, yes I believe I can love Erik. I do love him and will for the rest of my life.

Beautiful story Deb!

To answer your question I do believe I could see past his deformity and love him for who he is. I mean to me I see a lonely yet beautiful man who wants someone to share his life with and to be loved in return! I haven't stopped watching POTO since yesterday!

I too love POTO and it started me on this road to being a fan. I used to try to explain my fascination with him to my family but it can't be explained. I don't know if it's all Gerry or whether the music and Gerry but I have just given into the spell. I keep POTO in my DVD just in case I need a fix. Now that I've talked about it, I'm going to start movie so I can hear it while I clean house. :wave:

There is an aura, for lack of a better word, around a man who is in love. It goes beyond any superficial beauty and becomes very attractive and seductive. To be desired by a man, as the Phantom desired Christine, is so powerful that it draws you!

When I saw the movie, Bram Stoker's Dracula with Gary Oldman, I remember a scene when he was dying and his appearance turned back from his young, beautiful face to that of his hideous character and Meena stroked his face and kissed him and it was so beautiful! She was kissing the soul of the man she loved, not the vile creature that he could be, which was, in fact, spawned from his eternal love for her.

That's what love should be based on, rather than the exterior beauty. We are so conditioned to look upon beauty as the key to love and happiness. It is not, trust me.

If I didn't love Gerry's soul, I would have lost interest a long time ago. He's beautiful externally, no doubt about it but he has that "aura" that comes from within his soul, despite his sometimes crude and raunchy personality. That's the mask he wears. When you look beyond that, you can see the real man. That's the man I love.

What we love about "Erik" is that part of his soul that can love so powerfully! We all want someone to love us like that! It's irresistable!

D

Who could not love such a man? Looks can come and go, but the Soul that loves, shines through.

I've told some of you but have never posted my small story.

Long ago when I was a very young girl about 7ish, I remember the kids all spoke of a monster of a man. They said lots of cruel things about him. If you have seen "Rigoletto" or "Man without a Face", then you will understand the way people treated this man. He had developed a disease that had covered his head with huge warts. The warts were grotesque, some were up to three inches long. People were scared of him.

I saw him in the small drug store one day without his hat. Everyone kept their distance, but gawked at him with distaste. I was fascinated by his demeanor. He seemed quite harmless, not a monster at all. I went on about my business following my mom as a young child would, not paying any attention. I tripped or something (remember, it was a very long time ago and I don't remember all the details but, I was doing something dorky and I needed some help.) I looked up and a stretched out hand was helping me. I looked up into the beautiful eyes of the kindest most loving man. It was him, warts and all. I can't even express the feeling of the exchange that took place at that moment. I just knew he had touched my heart. It is amazing what a touch of a hand can do. Posted Image

I walked away a different little girl, knowing beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and goes far deeper than outer appearances. From then on, every time I saw him, he tipped his hat at me and winked ( like in Casablanca "Here's looking at you, kid".) I never let anyone say bad things about him in my presence again.

When I saw POTO, not the first time, but the second time, I fell head over heels in love with this phantom character played by Gerry. It makes me cry every time I see it, and my friend from long ago comes back to my mind...a misunderstood man who took the time to give a helping hand.

Sally

It is interesting to read the stories of those who encountered or knew of someone like Erik and how it made a difference in their lives. I too had a similar experience.

I worked at Kentucky Fried Chicken in high school and once a week a man would come in and order the same meal. This man's face, neck and hands were covered in white bandages and he wore dark glasses. He looked like the Invisible Man. It was obvious that he was a burn victim. He also spoke very quietly as his voice/throat must have been damaged too. I sometimes had to help him with his money because he had a hard time with his money because of the bandages. I remember feeling very sorry for this man but always was friendly to him and gave him a big smile when I saw him.

As time when on, little by little the bandages started to come off and it wasn't pretty. This poor man was severly scared and his skin was blotchy and red. But I treated him like any other customer, maybe alittle nicer because I felt sorry for him, and he always seemed very appreciative of my efforts. Sometimes when I saw him come in and I wasn't working the register, I would walk out and take care of him personally since I knew what he wanted because he always ordered the same thing. If I couldn't come up front, I would make up his order and have it waiting for him. He would smile and wave to me through the order window.

Most times he would leave to eat his meal but occasionaly he would eat in the store and people would stare at him. Sometimes the other employees would make mean comments about his looks and I would get so mad at them. Instead of feeling compassion for this poor man, they feared him and because of this fear, they lashed out at him. Just like Erik.

Maybe this is why I have always been drawn to the Phantom's story long before Gerry played him. If people would just look past the scars and deformity, they would find a human being who just wants to be treated like a human being, not a monster.

Edited by Scorpio613

It is fascinating to know that some of us encountered "real life" Phantoms in our lives. Here is a story I posted some time ago, but it may be new to some of you:

Phantom Boy

Written in 2006

For the past two years, I have been trying to understand why I was so captivated, and why to this day, I am still haunted by Gerard Butler's interpretation of the Phantom. For me, the whole thing has transcended movie or movie-star fandom.. and has moved into the realm of a spiritual experience. I have spent this last year writing pages and pages about the Phantom... analyzing its personal message to me... and through my association with Gerry Butler's sites, many others have contributed to the whole Phantom phenomenon through their own observations and experiences.

Two springs ago, while Phantom was still playing in the theaters, I met (on-line) a lovely young woman whose teenage son was injured in a serious burning accident, while she and friends were out for the evening, viewing the POTO film. She had posted a prayer request for her son on GB.net, and we began a friendly correspondence through PMs. I prayed for her son, and found it so ironic that his face had been badly burned, while she was watching Gerard's rendition of a disfigured man.

Her son has since recovered with thankfully, very little scarring, and she posted a sweet message in my prayer thread for Nathan just last night, which led me to a profound discovery.... unlocking my understanding as to why I connect so deeply, both emotionally and spiritually to the Phantom.

I was discussing with her, how badly Nathan is scarred, and that because of his social isolation and his musical abilities... he reminds me often of the Phantom. That discussion in turn, brought back a shocking memory from my early childhood. It is a memory which has surfaced once or twice over the years, but for some reason, until last night... I had never connected this childhood trauma with anything else in my life. It was a shadowy experience that seemed more a dream than reality.

Suddenly, very late last night, the memory of Jimmy blazed through my mind with startling clarity, and the pieces of the Phantom mystery fell together.

When I was in the second grade (7 years old)... I was admitted to a children's hospital here in Portland for delicate eye surgery. I recall being very frightened of the sights and smells of the strange hospital, and after my parents left on the night before the surgery... I was in my room alone and crying.

A lady dressed all in white (a nurse) wheeled a young boy into my room and introduced me to him. He was sitting in a wheelchair, a boy a few years older than me. He had been the victim of a fire, and had virtually no legs, only one functioning arm and hand.... his other arm, nothing more than a stump wrapped in gauze. One side of his head was badly damaged and bald, and one side of his face was severely deformed with thick red and purple leathery scarring. At the time, I was too young to understand what tragedy the the boy might have survived... my guess is, he must have been a live-in resident at the hospital.

After all these years... I still remember his name.... Jimmy, his name was Jimmy.

Jimmy wheeled himself right up close beside my bed, and after she introduced us, the nurse left the room... leaving the two of us alone. He was very friendly and outgoing, and just wanted to reassure me that surgery was nothing to be frightened of. He went onto explain that he himself had undergone several surgeries... and that it happens while you are asleep... and you never feel a thing. I can't recall our entire conversation, but I remember staring at him... and being afraid of what I saw.

He came and went several times that night, bringing me comic books and a candy bar. Each time he came into my room, I could feel my heart squeezing with sadness for him... while at the same time, his deformed appearance repulsed me.

It is to my shame, that I recall asking the nurse not to allow him to visit me anymore, and I remember even as a child... I felt very bad about my feelings, and I felt guilty.... because I knew that how Jimmy looked was not his fault, and yet I did not want to see it... I just couldn't bear to look at his ugliness.

The day I was released from the hospital... I recall wondering what would happen to Jimmy, and hoping I had not hurt his feelings too badly.

Several years later when I saw my first Phantom of the Opera film.... the memory of Jimmy was not in my conscious mind, but looking back, I now realize.... the incident with Jimmy must have been where the seeds of my Phantom attachment were sewn.

That young boy, and the memory of how I shunned him... were buried deep and hidden away from my conscious thought , and when I saw the tragic and beautiful Phantom story unfold on the silver screen.....the compassion I should have had for Jimmy, was projected in some deep and mysterious way, onto the fictional Erik.... and I immediately loved that character.

Perhaps through my compassionate connection to Erik... I was purging myself of the guilt that obviously never left me.

If I had been blessed with parents who could have explained Jimmy's situation and helped me to understand that boy's need for friendship and acceptance, I might have been able to work through my ignorance and fear... to selflessly caring for him. But because I was so young, and my parents did not give me good counsel, I rejected that poor boy... and in some ways, my soul cries for him even now.

It was Jimmy's face I saw in Gerry's unmasked Phantom.... that lost and forlorn nine year old boy, singing to the monkey music box.

If only we human beings would learn to value and love, not only the beautiful and attractive among us, but those whose inner beauty far surpasses their outer shell.... then the world would be a better place. Through the writing of my own Phantom book, as inspired by POTO... I embrace all the unlovely... loving souls who the world turns away.

After all these years, what I remember most about Jimmy, is not his deformed body.... but his warm and friendly smile.

Swan

Edited by Swansong

I do have a little story of my own. One time, a friend of mine and her husband, in an effort to get me out of my mood, asked me to go out with them. It was when my husband and I had just separated. I didn't want to go out but they kept bugging me until I finally said I would, for a while.

They loved country western bars and so we ended up in a place called, of course, JR's! Oh brother! I was a rock and roll kind of gal and I didn't know how much of this night would take my mind off of my troubles.

We went in and sat down, there was a wonderful live band and my friends got up and danced and her husband took turns dancing with his wife and then me, trying to cheer me up and teach me the two step. I was really depressed and I finally begged off of dancing for a while and sat and watched them.

Then, I could feel the eyes on me! I looked across the room and there he was, a handsome cowboy, across the floor staring at me. He was dressed fine too, with his Stetson and his fancy shirt, looking good and as I met his gaze, I knew what I wanted to do. I got up and crossed the floor over to where he was. I asked him if he wanted to dance. It didn't take much of a "come hither" look from him to make my move!

He looked shocked and a bit bewildered at first. I could tell he didn't expect that! And then I said, "You know how to two step don't you? Come on, I just learned and I need the practice." I lead him out on to the floor, wheel chair and all, and we "two stepped", or at least as close as we could get. I think maybe some of the people around him at the time might have been thinking at first I was being cruel or making a joke, since both of his legs were gone below the knees.

After he spun me around that floor, literally and some of it I spent in his lap reeling from exhaustion and after the band playing nonstop for several songs, I finally had to sit it out! He wanted to continue but I told him he had the "advantage" on me as he was already sitting! He certainly didn't need legs to dance!

His sister came to me later as I was leaving and thanked me for making her brother's night! She told me that she had to drag him out that night. I left the bar with my friends having had the best time I'd had in a while. Both he and I just needed to "dance"! I didn't need to know what I was doing and he didn't need any legs. I like to think we were two lost souls that came together at the right time. I know he made my night!

D