Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  

PAL VHS

Is Pal VHS tapes also non compatible on US NTSC video recorders or can you paly them

or is it just the PAL dvd that are not playable here in the US

Hi *guest* ,

Unfortunatly, you can play neither on North American equipment. If you are thinking of getting a PAL format VHS movie converted, the copy right on the movie will prevent that.....I tried. As for DVD's that are not region 1, you can get around this by playing them on your computer BUT.....

Most computers only allow you to switch regions a finite number of times (I think about 4, but you can check with your computer...it should prompt you.) If you switch more than the number allowed your computer will not be able to switch back to North American region 1, possibly hampering other media you wish to play on your computer. Even changing the operating system will not work! So do your homework before you make a mistake that you cannot undo. (I had to learn this the hard way!)

Hope this helps you out.

Raz

There are ways around the "region" issue on your laptop and/or computer. There is software you can download. Many of us have done this. For all of the particulars, I suggest you read the Lucy Sullivan thread. There's a ton of information and/or "experience" posted there.

Good luck!

thanks for all the help :)

I knew about the dvd from a different country I was just unsure of a VHS tape I always thought that was universal

I guess I;ll just wait if they put the movie on dvd one day