Gerard Butler GALS

3/19 - Continental Midtown's Dining Policy Upsets Star of Law Abiding Citizen

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/features/c...izen_quot_.html

Contintental Midtown's dining policy upsets star of "Law Abiding Citizen

By Dan Gross

Philadelphia Daily News

MANY RESTAURANTS choose not to seat incomplete parties, as "Law Abiding Citizen" star Gerard Butler learned on Friday. The Scottish hunk had stopped for lunch at the Continental Midtown (18th & Chestnut) with a woman believed to be his mother and the pair were asked to wait at the bar until their entire party arrived and could then be seated.

Butler, perhaps perturbed that he wasn't recognized, as his co-star Jamie Foxx would have been, challenged the restaurant's policy and asked for a manager.

When a manager reiterated the policy against seating incomplete parties, Butler and mom left, a restaurant publicist confirmed.

Later on Friday, an "LAC" producer came by the Stephen Starr restaurant to complain to staff that Butler hadn't been seated and challenge the policy, the spokeswoman said.

We're also told the "300" star arrived the other day at Parc on Rittenhouse Square after the French bistro's kitchen had closed and was surprised that he wasn't able to order dinner. A restaurant spokeswoman said Butler had been to Parc recently but was unaware of the late-night visit we asked about.

An "LAC" spokeswoman said she was unaware of either visit but passed our inquiry on to Butler's publicist, from whom we did not hear yesterday.

The crime thriller will be shooting in the area through the end of the month.

Ah bless even the best of us get the knock back :funnyup: . Rules are rules I suppose. Shame if it was his mum he was with but you do have to ask was it a case of Gerry Who or do they do this for everyone regardless - me has to wonder????????.

I will say this I can just imagine his mum's reaction if he did play the "do you not know who I am" card I bet she'd have given him a clip around the ear. :funnyface:

Moira

The author of this article is making a lot of assumptions. Sadly, many readers will think it happened just as he speculated. I'll bet Gerry is not the only customer to challenge this policy. If just an average guy from the city did it, that wouldn't be news.

Cool that he was having lunch with his mom!

Swannie

It does sound a little made up.

That doesn't sound like Gerry at all, to think because he is the '300' star he should get special treatment. He's a bit more grounded than that.

But who knows!!!

Edited by BaileyS

"Butler, PERHAPS perturbed that he wasn't recognized, as his co-star Jamie Foxx would have been, challenged the restaurant's policy and asked for a manager."

The "perhaps" is key.

Swannie

Ya' know, having lived on the road for most of 8 years and traveled waay more than is normal for work my whole career -- eating out for every meal, I can relate, identify, and totally sympathize with both of these situations -- and you don't have to be a recognizable celebrity to get annoyed about a restaurant's policies and ask to talk to a manager. Sometimes it even works.

When you're in a major metro area (NYC, LA, London, Paris, Tokyo ... Philadelphia!) and you're working long hours and then have to go out for dinner, you WOULD be kind of surprised when the kitchen is closed. Most restaurants in such cities serve until verra late.

Both of these (one-sided) tales is pairfectly understandable. Poor Gerry.

Mr. Gross has some kind of bug up his b***. This is not a story.

Edited by Constance

Ya' know, having lived on the road for most of 8 years and traveled waay more than is normal for work my whole career -- eating out for every meal, I can relate, identify, and totally sympathize with both of these situations -- and you don't have to be a recognizable celebrity to get annoyed about a restaurant's policies and ask to talk to a manager. Sometimes it even works.

When you're in a major metro area (NYC, LA, London, Paris, Tokyo ... Philadelphia!) and you're working long hours and then have to go out for dinner, you WOULD be kind of surprised when the kitchen is closed. Most restaurants in such cities serve until verra late.

Amen Connie. And I don't see it as "news".

Amen Connie. And I don't see it as "news".

WELL PASS THIS ON THE GERRY WE HAVE A RESTAURANT IN PHILLY AND WOULD HAVE BEEN HAPPY TO SEAT IF PARTY IS NOT COMPLETE..BUT ONCE THE KITCHEN IS CLOSED IT IS CLOSED. HOWEVER, IF I WAS THERE I WOULD REOPEN..JUST KIDDING. EMPLOYEES NEED TO GO HOME AFTER A LONG DAY...I DO KNOW THERE ARE SEVERAL RESTAURANTS WITH THE COMPLETE PARTY POLICY AND IN A WAY THEY CAN'T DO FOR 1 AND NOT THE OTHER. SORRY, NO MATTER WHO YOU MIGHT BE...HE SHOULD LOOK UP FAMOUS BEFORE HE LEAVES THE CITY....

This is definitely a non-story. I've left restaurants that couldn't seat me when I wished to be seated and gone elsewhere all the time. People do it frequently. I've also had the rare experience where you come in late and ask if they can serve you and they either can or they can't. It happens all the time. (And managers are known to make exceptions at their whim.)

Bottom line, they definitely (and not "perhaps") would NOT be reporting this if he WASN'T "Gerard Butler of 300".

Hope he and his mom (?) had a good time anyway.

Jane

Yup, it's only when you ARE recognized that anyone give's a rat's behind about where you go and who you go with and what you say and all that junk. Take it with a grain of salt, this guy just needed something to write about and I guess Gerry's alleged dining experiences were the most exciting thing he could find.

We did decide to move it out of news and into rumors.

Well as Oscar Wilde use to say, bad publicity is just as important as good, your name is is the news.

I don't really care, I'm sure we've all been there though, some restaurants have silly rules.

I can imagine working as hard as he has, being tired, whose to throw the first stone.

Ginny (Sassenach)

This reminds me of the funny "Saturday Night Live" David Spade sketches: "And you are? What have I seen you in? Mmmhmm -- wait at the bar!"

If Gerry was at lunch, he might not have had a lot of time to wait around. He hoped the manager would make an exception and left when he/she couldn't. No big whoop. (Did he fly into a violent rage, start tossing off f-bombs or throw anything? Obviously not.)

Same thing at Parc. If he got there after the kitchen closed due to his schedule, he was probably hungry and disappointed at being refused a meal. But it doesn't sound like he caused a scene there either.

Gerry's an actor and now a producer. He IS recognized quite often when he's out and about in Philly. At times like these, he probably wishes he wasn't! :bonk:

Bless his heart, He just wanted to eat for crying out loud.I would have cooked for him and mum my kitchen is open,but yes this very much a non story.

Let me get this straight. We are in the midst of an economic downturn, a downturn that has hit the food service industry hard. A producer & star of a movie, that is pumping millions of dollars into the local economy, who has spoken glowingly of the city and it’s food, is refused service because his party has not all arrived. Bonehead manager refuses to make an exception, thereby depriving the staff of the tips they would earn and the restaurant of the opportunity to serve a expensive meal to a high profile customer. Then boneheaded spokesperson for the restaurant talks about how they refused service to the producer and star, because they have their rules and apparently can afford to turn away customers. Yep, that’s the kind of PR a restaurant needs! Lots of restaurants do have rules like this, often for good reason but managers can make exceptions, particularly if they see an upside in doing so. If I were the owner of that restaurant I would be offering Gerry a complimentary meal. And I would be having a few words with the manager.

Yup, it's only when you ARE recognized that anyone give's a rat's behind about where you go and who you go with and what you say and all that junk. Take it with a grain of salt, this guy just needed something to write about and I guess Gerry's alleged dining experiences were the most exciting thing he could find.

We did decide to move it out of news and into rumors.

Great call. A great deal of assuming going on with this "article".

I do hope by now that the restaurant manager's face is very red! What a missed opportunity. I live in the metropolitan area and go out frequently with a larger group to eat and some of the restaurants won't seat us until we all get there, but then others do.

It sounds like they're just trying to make Gerry out to be a divo and he's not...he's just hungry and probably on a time schedule.

:wuv:

You know what they say about the word ASSUME.

It can make an arse out of U and ME!! ASSUME!!

This man is doing a lot of that in this article. Who knows what Gerry was thinking? He certainly has never acted like an egomaniac in the past. In fact he has been just the opposite. Scottish people are very sensitive when it comes to not displaying a big head. If Gerry's mum was there you can be sure she would not have put up with any airs on Gerry's part. So I don't believe this incident happened the way it was portrayed. In my opinion, Gerry just questioned the policy and when he heard it they left because they didn't want to wait. Who knows, maybe they were on a schedule. That's the real issue....WHO KNOWS?? No one but Gerry!! No reason to even discuss it.

~HUGS~ Kathy

As has been said, its' pretty bad when someone can't get a little rule bent when they've just generated thousands of dollars in to the local economy for the city.

There are policies that restaurants apply to get people in to the bar to generate revenue from the sale of alcohol. I can't see why an exception could not have been made in Gerry's case. I would have been miffed too if I were him, especially with his Mum there. I don't really understand the rule on seating partial parties.

I can understand the other restaurant having a closed kitchen, but you know what? If one of those actors, particularly one of the stars and/or producer of the film that chose my city to make their movie came in to my restaurant, as the manager, I'd make him something to eat myself. I'd probably give it to him for free in appreciation.

I hope this doesn't give Gerry a bad taste in his mouth now, pardon the pun.

D

So who was the rest of the party? Wasn't it just him and his mother?

Gerry and his mum?? came in and there were others in the party who had not arrived yet hence because full party not there that particular restaurant had a policy that they do not seat people at tables until full party arrives. For whatever reason Gerry left etc etc.

Moira

I hate it when people write stupid stuff like that,like there isn't anything more pressing to cover than whether or not Gerard was perturbed he didn't get seated,if that even happened. And if it even happened, did they even bother to find out if there was a particular reason? Nope. For all we know all the seats could've been taken at the bar and maybe his mom needed to sit down or she was tired or maybe he was tired. Just saying,people should take into consideration circumstances(if it happened) before writing pointless articles.

You know what they say about the word ASSUME.

It can make an arse out of U and ME!! ASSUME!!

This man is doing a lot of that in this article. Who knows what Gerry was thinking? He certainly has never acted like an egomaniac in the past. In fact he has been just the opposite. Scottish people are very sensitive when it comes to not displaying a big head. If Gerry's mum was there you can be sure she would not have put up with any airs on Gerry's part. So I don't believe this incident happened the way it was portrayed. In my opinion, Gerry just questioned the policy and when he heard it they left because they didn't want to wait. Who knows, maybe they were on a schedule. That's the real issue....WHO KNOWS?? No one but Gerry!! No reason to even discuss it.

~HUGS~ Kathy

I didn't think it was true either...just not Gerry's style, especially with his mum there. I think the restaurant was trying to get its name in the headlines...

:hmm:

I kinda think the restaurants have shot themselves in the foot(or feet) with this one but policies are policies it probably has a lot to do with expected dining. We don't know if the restaurant was full and had no tables or weather it was empty and they were just being rigid.

Any who Gerry doesn't come off too bad in this article and if it keeps him in the news well then........bonus points!

I have to say I firmly agree with Moira is Gerry's mam saw him try and pull the "do you know who I am?" thing she'd probably walk right out of the place and leave him there then smack him upside the head, he was raised better than that LOL