Gerard Butler GALS
Swansong

Love Letters From the Lair

Hi Elissa!  glad to see you here! 

In fact, I didn't really care much for Love Never Dies.  When I first saw the Australian version, I did like parts of it, but then having watched my bluray of the show, the more I watched, the more I disliked it.  I was excited to see the tour with Gardar Thor Cortes as the Phantom, but I came away from that performance even more convinced that LND is just too melodramatic for my taste.  The original Phantom of the Opera occasionally balances a tightrope between drama and melodrama, but it always maintains plenty of tension and sweeping romance without seeming absurd.  LND is absurd, in my view.

There are just too many plot elements in LND that go too far and fail to connect to the original show.  They do bring more elements of the Original POTO into the new touring LND, and while lovely, those moments only serve to remind me of how perfect the original is compared to the sequel.  There are a number of changes in LND and it has certainly evolved into a better production than the London version, but I still cannot buy into the relationships between Mr Y, Madame Giry and Meg.  I cannot accept Madame Giry as the evil, angry bitch she has become in LND,  nor can I comprehend Meg's insane jealousy of Christine, when there was zero indication of that in the original POTO.  In fact, Meg was nothing but supportive of Christine in POTO.   

I tried really hard to overlook these issues, but just couldn't do it.  I can't help but be enthralled with seeing The Phantom again, and Gardar is brilliant in the role....but he deserves a much better story.

I have no issues with conflicts in the Christine/Raoul dynamic.  I have never been able to visualize those 2 living happily ever after, because I truly do believe the final scene in the original POTO reveals Christine's romantic love for the Phantom.    

Those are my thoughts.  Are you going to see the LND tour, Elissa?

Edited by Swansong Paisley

Thanks for the analysis, Swannie. I don't actually care very much for LND either,  for the reasons you stated, although there are a couple of songs that I like from the show. I really wish that since ALW used "The Phantom of Manhattan" (a dreadful book, IMO) as the basis of this sequel, he had followed the book's plot. As much as I disliked the book, at least the plot made more sense than what ALW came up with. LND is a true character assassination of Meg, Madame Giry, and even Raoul. Anyway, no, LND isn't coming here. It will be in Houston, Dallas, and Fort Worth. Houston, at 200 miles, is the closest city. I don't like LND well enough to justify the expense of the show and travel. Just sayin'.

I love a lot of the music, Elissa.  Some of it is gorgeous.  There are some good ideas in the show, but they never truly gel into a great plot.  I never read The Phantom of Manhattan becase so many fans said it was awful.  If you can, listen to Gardar's LND via youtube.  He makes a delicious Phantom!  Have you had a chance to see the new touring Phantom of the Opera?  What are your thoughts about that?

Keep coming back here trying to recapture the magic.  But everyone has moved on it seems.  The internet is so much broader in its scope than when GALS and other Gerry sites were THE place to be.  I suppose there is no way to bring back the old days. I'm just sorry I allowed my personal  heartbreak and depression to pull me away from my GALS sisters and other fan groups.  Facebook is busy, our lives are so busy, but I will never forget my friendships here or the Gerry and Phantom love we all shared.

Hi Swannie - I, too, miss all the Erik/Phantom stuff.    There will never be another one of those.    I wish I could find something to post here - but I can't.

Bonnie BlueJean

Hi Bonnie Blue Jean!  Nice to see another Phan in here.  I would post a lot of stuff in this forum, but I don't know how to use the media posting tools on this new format.  There is so much going on in the Phantom world, with Love Never Dies now touring, and although Gerry was not involved with that in any way, I feel we can celebrate our Phantom love in all its forms.  Not just Gerry's Phantom.  As soon as I learn how to pst images and video, I have got some gorgeous stuff on my Pinterest that I would love to share here!

Love,

Swannie

OMG! 

Someone is posting in the Lair!!! This is great. Its so quiet here now. Kinda like the cellars in our beloved Opera.

I hope you figure it out soon Swannie! I'd love to see what you have.

xxx

Deb, I'm just not as technically agile as I used to be when it comes to navigating this newer site.

I totally understand Swannie! 

I access the site from my iPad, and I don't know how to drive it from there. 

Can you imagine poor Erik trying to figure it out? 😂😂

Yeah, but he's a genius!  He can figure out anything.  Whereas, I am not!  Apparently I have gotten dumber because I used to be able to figure out all this stuff!

This is an illustration from a new illustrated Phantom of the Opera book.  I think the book costs costs around 350.00.  Wish I could afford it.  The artwork is gorgeous! 

10834e2699863fc1725e5ac296814dca.jpg

These are gorgeous!!! 

Now, we need people to come see them!

Just to let you know I finally made it over here (from facebook.)  I would love to see us revive this topic and maybe have some fun with The Phantom again.  

I had trouble with the technology too, but at least I am here.  I have tons of Gerry/POTO pics saved on my computer so if I can figure out how to, I will try

to post something soon.