Gerard Butler GALS

Love Letters From the Lair

My Sisters of the Lair, tomorrow we see "Phantom" at the Music Hall in KC! I've been looking forward to this for months! I'm anxious to see how it compares to the one at the Majestic in NY! I'll report back!

Delene

Mistress of the Master's Black Stallion and

Enchantress of Rhyme

Posted Image

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Cudia was the Phantom last night and also played the Phantom in the NY production at the Majestic when I saw it there! Amazing!

The show was, of course, wonderful!

D

Delene,

I'm glad you got to see the show. If I had the resources, I think I'd try to see the live show at least once a year.

Sorry I've not been posting in the lair. I've come down with a nasty cold, so I'm taking it easy.

Take care, everyone!

Swannie

Delene,

I'm glad you got to see the show. If I had the resources, I think I'd try to see the live show at least once a year.

Sorry I've not been posting in the lair. I've come down with a nasty cold, so I'm taking it easy.

Take care, everyone!

Swannie

Hope you feel better soon, Swannie! The show was great but when I first sat down and looked at the stage, I thought how in the heck are they going to pull this production off with this little stage! The one at the Majestic was much deeper, but they did! The tickets here ran $30 to $75, so I didn' think that was too bad. They were selling the little music boxes but I refrained! I think I've seen them cheaper on line.

D

John Cudia was the Phantom last night and also played the Phantom in the NY production at the Majestic when I saw it there! Amazing!

D

So glad that you enjoyed the show! I would dearly love to see the play again on stage. I have seen the show in Vegas at the Venetian twice and did love it but I have to admit I still love the full length version of the play that I saw years and years ago in San Francisco. *dreamy sigh* Simply spectacular.

D

So glad that you enjoyed the show! I would dearly love to see the play again on stage. I have seen the show in Vegas at the Venetian twice and did love it but I have to admit I still love the full length version of the play that I saw years and years ago in San Francisco. *dreamy sigh* Simply spectacular.

What is the full length version? Is that with the "No One Would Listen" song by the Phantom or is there a play version without music?

D

The version in Vegas is a beautiful production. The costumes are gorgeous and the whole stage is really amazing. I've been so impressed when I've seen it. It's Andrew Lloyd Webber's version of the story. There are some differences from his play to this version, such as where the chandelier falls. (This version is like the movie-nearly at the end.) I think the whole thing is about 90 minutes, if I'm remembering correctly. There are some songs that are cut from the ALW stage version. I'm not exactly sure which ones since it's been years (about 13) since I saw it in San Francisco with Davis Gaines as the Phantom. *dreamy sigh* But I know there are some differences.

The version I saw in SF was the full length ALW play (musical). I think that ran in the vicinity of 2 hours but I'm guessing.

No One Would Listen, to the best of my knowledge, was just written for the movie and not included in the final version and hasn't been a part of the play. I'm sure someone has more accurate information than that but that is what I know.

As far as non-singing versions, I'll leave it to the more educated among us to let you know about that. I've seen other POTO versions including Bela Lugosi's version and Claude Raines' version. I haven't seen them all by a long shot.

• 2 weeks later...

Sisters of the Lair,

It's been a while since I have been in here and I just had a few things I wanted to share. Some know that POTO was the movie that started my Gerry infatuation. But also the first time I watched it was with my mother after she became bedridden. She couldn't sleep well after she got out of the hospital so I would stay up with her and we would watch movies together. When we watched phantom on pay-per view I feel in love with it. She liked it also, and that is saying something because she wasn't into musicals. Then she watched it with me again right after and she never liked to watch anything more than once.

Well anyway you all heard that before so I digress. The last time I watched POTO was the night before my mother died last July. I sat near her bed knowing she was sick but I was still in denial thinking she would get better. To keep myself occupied I decided to watch POTO on my computer. Well after it was over I tried to get some sleep their next to her. That morning she woke me up told me she was thirsty so I got her a drink. She also told me she felt better and that everything was going to be alright. By noon that day the paramedics where called and she was gone.

This morning I was listing to my ipod while I was in the shower. I had it on shuffle and "Down Once More" came on, it was the first time I had allowed myself to listen again. I broke down into tears when I stepped out of the shower toward then end when that phantom says good bye to Christine. I don't know why it hit me so hard. But I know that this will always be dear to my heart. Not only because it it a wonderful movie, musical, and story. Not only because Gerry is wonderful in it and the role of the phantom is intriguing and touches that part inside us. But because it touched me personally.

Thanks for listening!!!!

Lairotica,

The Master's Joy of the Flesh

Posted Image

• 2 weeks later...

Sisters of the Lair,

It's been a while since I have been in here and I just had a few things I wanted to share. Some know that POTO was the movie that started my Gerry infatuation. But also the first time I watched it was with my mother after she became bedridden. She couldn't sleep well after she got out of the hospital so I would stay up with her and we would watch movies together. When we watched phantom on pay-per view I feel in love with it. She liked it also, and that is saying something because she wasn't into musicals. Then she watched it with me again right after and she never liked to watch anything more than once.

Well anyway you all heard that before so I digress. The last time I watched POTO was the night before my mother died last July. I sat near her bed knowing she was sick but I was still in denial thinking she would get better. To keep myself occupied I decided to watch POTO on my computer. Well after it was over I tried to get some sleep their next to her. That morning she woke me up told me she was thirsty so I got her a drink. She also told me she felt better and that everything was going to be alright. By noon that day the paramedics where called and she was gone.

This morning I was listing to my ipod while I was in the shower. I had it on shuffle and "Down Once More" came on, it was the first time I had allowed myself to listen again. I broke down into tears when I stepped out of the shower toward then end when that phantom says good bye to Christine. I don't know why it hit me so hard. But I know that this will always be dear to my heart. Not only because it it a wonderful movie, musical, and story. Not only because Gerry is wonderful in it and the role of the phantom is intriguing and touches that part inside us. But because it touched me personally.

Thanks for listening!!!!

Lairotica,

The Master's Joy of the Flesh

Beautiful and touching story, Erica.

Delene

Enchantress of Rhyme

Posted Image

Oh Erica,

I'm so sorry to have not responded before now. I missed the day you posted this and didn't check the Lair the past few days. Please accept my apologies.

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful story about your mom. It warms my heart to know that the movie touched your mom and helped you both on the journey that you both took together. The wounds you have from losing your mom don't ever completely go away but I do believe that we learn to live with them a little bit better each day. I lost my dad more than 11 years ago and I still miss him. Something will happen that I want to talk with him about and I have to remind myself that I can't in a face to face sense. But I also feel, without a doubt, that he is always with me. I hope you can feel that too with your mom. I'm sure that your time of being with her when she was so sick was difficult but how lucky she was to have you there, caring for her and loving her.

While it is gut wrenching to lose someone we love, I think we always carry a part of them with us forever. Our love for them and their love for us is there for all eternity. I know the two of you had probably a million connections big and small that you will be reminded of on a regular basis. For me, when one of those reminders pops up, I figure it's my dad's way of saying, "Hey sweetie. I'm still here and I love you." Even through the tears that follow, I hope you can find a way to smile.

Please know you have my :hugs: and prayers,

Jilly :rose:

Erica, and all Ladies of the Lair. Between working on my my book and my health issues, I haven't been posting much. Your story is very moving and inspiring, Erica. How wonderful that you and your mom could share POTO and Gerry's performance together. Thank you so much for opening up to us.

I am sorry for your loss and my prayers are with you.

Swannie

Edited by Swansong

I would like to point all you POTO fans to a couple things.

I think many of you will want to own a POTO related book that has just been released:

Here is the description I posted in my blog:

Hi everyone,

Today I would like to introduce you to a friend of mine who is soon to release her wonderful book, Lessons From the Phantom of the Opera. Any Phantom fan worth their punjab will enjoy this splended volume; a collection of the author's insights, thoughts, emotions and wisdom; exploring the deeper meanings and complex layers that underscore the story we all love.

Vicki Tkacz Hopkins invites us to dig beneath the surface and uncover hidden treasures in Phantom; where we will gain a better understanding of our beloved POTO characters, as well as a profound glimpse into our own psyche as people, who like our Phantom, desperately long to be loved.

I first discovered Vicki's wonderful blog on MySpace, and finally after all this this time of pouring her passion for all things Phantom into a blog, she is publishing her writings as a book, that you, dear reader, will soon hold in your hand. Please visit Vicki's websites for more information:

http://thephantomslessons.blogspot.com/

Also, visit this thread on GB.net to read some absolutely wonderful reviews of POTO. Some, you may have read when the film first came out, but a few you may have missed. Well worth the read!

http://gerardbutlerglobalfans.com/index.php?showtopic=68664

Take care, everyone!

Swannie

Edited by Swansong

Thanks for the links, Swannie. I'll be sure to check them out.

I actually wasn't a member of a website for a few months after being Butlerized so it will be fun to go back and relieve those threads.

:hugs: to all,

Jilly :rose:

Dear Ladies,

May I interrupt the swooning for a moment to ask a favor. The "Gerry Character Survivor Game" is alive and well and Erik needs your help. For those of you who don't usually play the games, I'll tell you that the game started out with all the characters Gerry has played, and one or two get voted off every week until the final Survivor is chosen (Just like on the TV show). You can visit the thread here: http://www.gerardbutlergals.com/forums/ind...c=25565&hl= . Be sure to read post #79 for a new twist to the game. We played this last year and Erik won. However, this year he is facing a HUGE challenge from Gerry Kennedy. If you want to protect Erik and make sure he once again is the champ, we are going to need all the help we can get! Also, it's lots of fun campaigning for your favorite character when some misguided GAL tries to vote him off! Join in the fun, and let's protect Erik!

Hoping you guys will come over, I also supported Marek this week. Don't hurt me, OK?

Suzie

Yeah, what Suzie said! She and I are fighting a tough battle for Erik over on that thread. Gerry Kennedy has a formidable team on his side.

Lady Elissa, Nightingale of the Lair

Posted Image

:phantom2: Thank-you for your touching story. My mother passed away at the age of 66 about 15 years ago and unfortunately my eldest sister and I were not by her side when it happened. We lived too far away and were working. I think this is also a reason that POTO touched me so profoundly ; I was grieving for her and feeling the Phantom's pain.

I for one am anxious to see Andrew's new sequel and have faith in his talent to surpass his first story. However; if Gerard Butler does not reprise the role in the movie version I will opt out. No other Phantom will do for me as far as he is concerned.

I'm really having an "off" day today! I just wrote a beautiful response to ALW's youtube here and then went up and hit the red X! :tantrum:

Anyway, what I said was that I think ALW is a bit nervous about how he ended this one because it will not be a "happy" ending but that is what I would expect because the character of the Phantom for me has always been the dark, tragic and troubled yet romantic character and his mention of the "roller coaster" ride that it takes you on is apropo for an obsessed, disturbed character like Erik. I just thought of something! He keeps using that metaphor about the roller coaster and this story takes place in Coney Island! You think he's laying out a clue of some sort?

Anyway, I am hoping it's a hit and he turns it in to a film and our Gerry once again brings him back to life! SIGH I know I'll be watching it and loving every minute of it and the music! My only question would be will Gerry die yet again? Maybe he kills his beloved Christine? Who knows! :reddeath:

Delene

Enchantress of Rhyme

Posted Image

This is a lovely interview where the UK's Jonathan Ross interviews ALW, and Andrew gives away some intriguing info about Love Never Dies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDvwgHbBQ_g

:pointy:Thanks for the link Swansong ; was it just me or was the young lady with them trying to dress and wear her hair like a possible Christine? I hope that they bring back (on film) the original cast I mean who else could play Mrs.Giry as well as Miranda Richardson? Besides Gerard as the Phantom she was the other highlight of a personality for me.

As for the ending Andrew fears we will not enjoy ; perhaps by that he means those of the idea that Christine and Raoul living happily married and faithful to the end might not take to her having the Phantom's son..... :unsure: "WHAT!?!" :lalala: "You mean there really was a reason that Christine was without her nylons in the Lair?" :cunning: You naughty Phantom you! Lol... Personally I enjoy the thought of a little "mini me Phantom" running around. But knowing Gerry's luck with most of his characters (and voting Polls such as Hello Magazine) he will probably die in this one...However leave us not forget that at the end of the first one ; Raoul and the Phantom were both there at Christine's grave site....hmmm this is going to be interesting...no?

Awww, Delene....

I'm sorry you're having an off day. At least here, you are among your sisters. Come, I'll light a candle and we can just sit here and 'be'.

Swannie thanks for that video. I am devouring news on Love Never Dies as fast as I can find it! I don't know how I will ever survive until it opens in NYC! And I got my order in for the Lessons book. I've been reading her blog for almost a year and was anxiously awaiting the publication.

Suzie and Elissa, I will be sure to pop over and stick my nose in on Survivor. I didn't even know there was a new Survivor game going on :lalala: . As the Steadfast Warrior, I MUST defend my Master!

Erica, your story was heartfelt. It is good to see some of the original Sisters posting.

Jilly, :wuv:

Edited by Knight Phantom

Awww, Delene....

I'm sorry you're having an off day. At least here, you are among your sisters. Come, I'll light a candle and we can just sit here and 'be'.

Swannie thanks for that video. I am devouring news on Love Never Dies as fast as I can find it! I don't know how I will ever survive until it opens in NYC! And I got my order in for the Lessons book. I've been reading her blog for almost a year and was anxiously awaiting the publication.

Suzie and Elissa, I will be sure to pop over and stick my nose in on Survivor. I didn't even know there was a new Survivor game going on :lalala: . As the Steadfast Warrior, I MUST defend my Master!

Erica, your story was heartfelt. It is good to see some of the original Sisters posting.

Jilly, :wuv:

:confused:

I've been posting but mainly in the Happy Birthday and Welcome to Gals threads....but now and again in some threads that really interest me. But though I've been around for a long time not many members seem to know me? I have never been able to go to Vegas because of the distance and money of course but it's not for lack of wanting or trying Lol...I would LOVE to meet some of the other Gals.

I've been posting but mainly in the Happy Birthday and Welcome to Gals threads....but now and again in some threads that really interest me. But though I've been around for a long time not many members seem to know me? I have never been able to go to Vegas because of the distance and money of course but it's not for lack of wanting or trying Lol...I would LOVE to meet some of the other Gals.

Sorry if I offended you May. I was not referring to GALS, but to the Ladies of the Lair. Again, I am sorry.

The only way for the GALS to get to know you is to post, and post often. This is how we get familiar! Maybe someday you CAN get to Vegas. It is a lot of fun!

Sorry if I offended you May. I was not referring to GALS, but to the Ladies of the Lair. Again, I am sorry.

The only way for the GALS to get to know you is to post, and post often. This is how we get familiar! Maybe someday you CAN get to Vegas. It is a lot of fun!

Oh honey you didn't offend me..hey I'm a Gal too and love to post when I get the chance. I've always considered Gals to be my main drop in more than any other site and have since 2006. I would love someday to meet some of my sisters here at Gals almost as much as meeting Gerry him self! :wuv:

Ladies, feast your eyes on this beauty that Frannie made for me........ :swoon::fook::swoon:

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j285/Kni...gys/debssig.jpg

Edited by discoveringme
Graphic changed to link. Exceeded our 250x250 guidelines