Gerard Butler GALS

One More Kiss

Abrock

Mousie and I watched One More Kiss the other day. I'd seen it quite a few months ago, but Mousie never had. I'd ordered it off amazon.uk, and can only play it on my computer in a drive I've specified for Region 2...in case any American GALS are wondering. ::D:

Anyway, the three chief characters in this film all make me upset. It's very true to life in many ways, because no one is the hero or the bad guy per se. They all have many faults that get in the way of their most noble intentions. Sam's indecisive nature makes me want to strangle him. Sarah's irreverence is a bit refreshing, but I find it grating by the end. Charlotte's jealousy from the beginning does nothing to help the situation.

But the thing that frustrates me the most? Is I can't necessarily blame them! Because I see where each is coming from and I can sympathize...yet I want to hammer all three at the same time! I don't think I've ever seen a film that's made me this frustrated over the characters before. If that was the director's idea, then he hit it spot on.

And I have no idea if that's a good thing or not...still trying to decide.

Hmmmmmm... If I could see it, I'd let you know. Grrrrr... It's not easy to find!!! Then again, maybe I don't want to?

Edited by Lish

Mel, I'm completely with you. I think its the only Gerry film that I have watched only once. I tried to watch it a second time a couple of weeks ago, but I got so annoyed with the characters, especially Sara's.

Despite her fatal illness, I could not feel real empathy for her.

And I agree also about Sam's wife and Sam himself. The film is beautifully done, and I try to understand what these characters go through, but somehow it doesn't work for me. Gerry gives a wonderful performance, as usual and he looks so young.

But I often had the wish to smack someone, either Sarah or Sam or even her father.

But in a way, the film leaves one a bit disturbed and this can also be a good thing.

I'd recommend it anyway, and if only for Gerry.

• 2 weeks later...

You said it, Risa. Because it displaced and distrubed me into thinking heavily about the issues involved, I think the film did its job. Every time I watch it, or even just a scene from it, I get frustrated and angry.

In my directing class last semester, the prof talked about how each major character in a play/film has what's called a "spine line", the line that their objectives and motives stem from.

I'm pretty sure I found Sam's, when Charlotte is asking him what his decision about seeing Sarah or not is. He says,

"I don't want to let anybody down."

His please-everyone mentality was very much a weak point for him. He's a very indecisive man.

I could only watch this film once.

I think the whole "Cancer" thing just makes this film too painful.

Most of the character interaction just bugs the hell out of me..

but one thing just touched me beyond all human description.

I saw Gerard Butler perfom with true passion watching someone with Cancer dying.

To me his passion was my own.

The look in his eyes when she was in that bed..I have found that look in my eyes many

times during this struggle.

True, a lot about this film gets on my nerves, but the passion underneath it all is

undeniable.

I would have liked to see another actress play the female lead.

I don't think Edmond was the right actress for the part.

She did not do the role justice.

And she was not a strong enough performer to stand beside Gerry.

His passion made her invisible to me.

Bethy

I have seen it twice, and I do enjoy watching it. I have always liked films that make you think. I too feel sorry for each character, but want to slap them in the head. I think this film is SO real! It shows how decisions can dramatically change our lives, and I think it also shows that we should live each day to the fullest.

I agree with a lot of what's been said. While I have sympathy for all of the main characters throughout for different reasons, you want to slap them upside the head half the time. Sam, oh darling Sam. He does want to please everybody and that is impossible. Charlotte had her radar up from the moment Sarah walked in the door. So somehow she must have known that he had never really gotten Sarah out of his system. How sad to got thru a marriage like that. I felt bad for her and all of her insecurities. All in all, though, it made you wonder what drew Sam and Charlotte together in the first place. They didn't seem like a good fit.

I know I should have more sympathy for Sarah. And while I felt bad for her having to realize she was dying at such a young age, she just was incredibly self-centered. I'm sorry if I'm offending anyone. She shouldn't have barged in on their lives like that after so much time had gone by. But I guess, we wouldn't have had a story then. It does make you think, though, about decisions you've made along the way and trying to change them if you can. You can just affect so many lives.

I loved the dad. I know he was kind of a pain, but he really did love his daughter and eventually tried to open up to new things. He was amazingly set in his ways but he did start to warm up a bit. I think James Cosmo was set for a role in Burns, if I'm remembering correctly. I thought I saw that on IMDB.

I thought it was a great performance by Gerry. OMG-so young and cute. He's gotten sexier, though as he's aged. And that was only a few years back. You've come a long way, Baby!!-you betcha :KingLeo: :beowulf: :creedy: :greatking: :stranger: :mopboydracula:

I know what you Gals mean about having more symphathy for Sarah...but it is really hard. I kept thinking that if she really loved Sam ( more than she loved herself anyway) then she would have left him be! To go into his life and disrupt it after all those years.

Charlotte was right when she said " you will everything away for a woman who didn't even want you when she was well!" That doesn't sound like love so much to me.

Sam is too cute though, Gerry was adorable when he was younger, just uber sexy NOW!!!! ::D: Well you know what I mean. He does do an amazing job in this movie but my Favorite is still "The Jury" That one his performance just takes you to the darkest places with him, and then brings you right back!

(((HUGS))) Toni

This movie bugged me in a major way. I despise infidelity. Sarah was so friggin SELFISH. It was all about Sarah's needs, her wants, her demands of the flesh to add some flourish to her final days. It didn't matter to her that her selfish actions would inevitably leave a trail of destruction in her path, as long as she was able to fulfill her dying desires. Sarah was the great manipulator playing off Sam's weakness. Who was the smart one here? As for the actress herself, I thought she was the wrong person for the part both in looks and in her inability to add any depth or passion to the part. She was like cheap chocolate lending no pleasure.

And Sam, well he just needed a kick in the head!!! Could he really have been as stupid as that to not see what it was that Sarah really wanted?

As for Charlotte, she had all my empathy for she knew exactly what would happen to her marriage. No woman in her right mind would "loan" her husband to a dying woman. There would just be too many emotional opportunities leaving a cloud of doom hanging over a marriage.

Tell me, how many of you married ladies wouldn't have any fears if a love from the past wanted to spend her final days with your spouse?

Lisa

• 5 months later...

I ordered the DVD from Amazon.ca and it arrived just after I came home from Vegas. With trying to catch up on everything I didn't have time to watch it until tonight. I've only watched it the once so far but I liked it.

I understood where Sarah was coming from. She is dying and she is being selfish. I think that is natural for someone who is dying and feels so much left undone and unsaid in their life to want to have some closure. She left Sam and went to America. I think she felt guilty and understood what a mistake she had made. I felt a lot of sympathy for her. Coming to terms with ones mortality is not easy for anyone.

I thought Gerry did an excellant job as usual. He is believable as this character. When you see him in the kitchen it is convincing. I wonder if he can really cook. :inlove: The character Sam is also admirable in that he realizes he too made a mistake by not following Sarah to America. So he settled with Charlotte. He is weak and torn between the two. In the end he follows his heart by going to Sarah's side in the hospital.

The Charlotte character is not so sympathtic to me because she is jealous of a dying woman. Surely she realized long ago that Sam had turned to her on the rebound. If she had stood by Sam and supported him she would have been the ultimate victor in the struggle for him. But she is faced with her own petty shortcomings.

I didn't see any infidelity between Sam and Sarah. Do you think it was implied during the opera scene?

I think the message of the film is loud and clear. Live strong and follow your heart. Because you don't know how long you have.

Just my two cents...I know, who asked? Ah well. Writing things down clears the head.

I thought the infidelity was implied during the opera scene. But maybe that was just my take on it. I think I may have said it earlier, for me, I wanted to slap all three of them upside the head in frustration. But I think that is the beauty of the movie. You can understand where they are each coming from. And while you may not agree with their motivations, they were sincere from the positions they were starting from. Sarah - dealing with her fear of dying with regrets. Charlotte - her fear of losing Sam. And Sam - who just didn't want to dissapoint anyone. Just so sad.

The more I think about Charlotte, the more I wish we could have gotten a bit more insight into her and Sam's relationship. I'd like to think given the same set of circumstances, I would possibly "let" my husband see his friend but I would insist on going along. I say that now. Who know how it would end up. It was just so clear from the get go that her radar went up instantly with Sarah.

And now, I want a cooking lesson from Sam.

Just got my OMK yesterday, too. Gerry and James Cosmo (Braveheart) were the strongest performances. I thought the movie was a little stilted and didn't know what it wanted to be. I think it was trying to be funny and sad, but it didn't strike me that way in either case. I may not have drunk enough of my happy tonic: Diet Pepsi. :kisswink:

Sarah's character was supposed to be sarcastic and funny, but I thought the movie didn't set the tone for what she was like before she went to America-that would've helped me understand her better and have more compassion for her. I found her very unlikeable.

I thought it was mature of Sam to keep appropriate physical distance (except for the opera scene when I wasn't sure what was happening-and what was the significance of that cottage? Was it an old make-out hideaway when they were kids or what? I wanted more explanation here).

I loved James Cosmo-he was very real. Gerry by the bedside was a heart grabber. He needed a super big kiss and squeeze don't you think? :kiss:

I thought the movie was weak and probably will only watch the Gerry parts when I need a fix. :wub:

I am so glad to see that I am not the only one who thought Sarah's character was incredibly selfish, and Sam's incredibly WEAK. I watched a video of this sent to me by a friend, but there was no closed captioning (I'm a bit hard of hearing) so I wondered if I had missed something critical in the dialog that might have changed my mind about these three people. After reading the posts above, I think I probably had it right. I've pre-ordered the DVD from amazon and hope it WILL have closed captioning so I can pick up any subtle nuances that I might have missed, but unless I hear something to change my mind, I have to say I really did NOT LIKE Sarah.

Yes, I know she was dying and filled with sadness and fear, and there is no telling how someone that young might react to dealing with that. BUT. I don't think that gives one a blanket excuse to cut a swath of destruction through the lives of others.

We are only given a small glimpse of the life of Sam & Charlotte before Sarah's arrival, but they seemed relatively happy to me. Then Sarah shows up and finds out to her apparent surprise that Sam is married. (Did she think he would spend his life pining away for her after she walked out on him & went to NY looking for better things? WITHOUT even asking him if he wanted to go with her? Apparently so, as she seems shocked to find he has married and made a life for himself.) What galls me is that it is AFTER she finds out he's married that she has the effrontery to ask to borrow him. Anyone with a modicum of kindness and decency would have wished them both well, acted like she was just touching base with them, and walked right out of there. But no, she all but DEMANDS that Charlotte let her have Sam to make her last days happy ones! That takes some nerve.

And poor Charlotte. She was doomed from the get-go. No matter HOW she reacted, she was bound to lose. Should she hand over her husband without a fight? Be just fine with him going off with his EX for sun-filled days of fun and frolic while she remains behind to tend to business? I don't think *I* would have done that. I would have pitched a bloody fit! Of course she was jealous. How could she possibly compete with the drama of an EX-love (one that her husband didn't give up WILLINGLY in the first place) who is DYING? She had NO chance at all in the equation. Don't protest and you give up your husband without a whimper. Do protest and you are branded a jealous bitch.

And Sam? OMG...I never saw a LOVELIER face with an EMPTIER head! Or as my friend from Scotland said...he was a "gormless idiot!" (Presumably having nary a trace of gorm about him!) No spine. No loyalty to the woman who DIDN'T run off and leave him and who built her whole LIFE around him. I agree...he needed to be slapped up beside the head. Though to be sure, it was an absolutely GORGEOUS head! I don't think I've ever seen a more beautiful young man in my life! The close-ups of that Botticelli angel face take my breath away!

I saw nothing to indicate that Sarah was in love with Sam. Had she been, she would never have left him. I saw a selfish, scared woman who was trying desperately to turn back the clock to a time when her life appeared to stretch out indefinitely in front of her, filled with possibility. And I saw a man so besotted with the tattered remains of his earlier love that he was willing to throw away everything for a few days of false love and regained memories.

I am looking forward to watching this again with the closed captioning to see if I still feel this way, but I don't really think I'll come away with a different opinion. However, the pure pleasure of seeing Gerard as that dropdead gorgeous young man will make the RE-viewing worthwhile, for sure.

Thanks for letting me express MY thoughts, too.

Marcia

I don't disagree with anything you said. Honestly, I still wish there had been a bit more of Sam and Charlotte's story in it before Sarah came along just to get a better feel for their relationship. Poor Sam really was weak but it was out of not trying to offend anyone. I wanted to put my hand over his mouth when he gave Charlotte the scarf. "Shut up Sam. Quit talking now." I think his heart was in the right place when he went off with Sarah on the little ventures at the beginning. But he just didn't understand what it was doing to Charlotte. I felt sorry for her(Charlotte) in her desperation to hold onto him. While I'm not sure if they were a perfect match, I think she did truly love him.

You could see so many places where Sam's weakness came into play. In the restaurant when he was discussing the artwork with the dad's character, he didn't even know why they had put it up. Jeez. Have a spine. "I dunno. I dunno."

Sarah's selfishness was hard for me to deal with. I feel like she was reacting that way out of fear but still to rip their lives apart really was self centered behavior. I felt sorry for her at the same time while wanting to say "What are you thinking?"

I like that this movie makes it hard to automatically settle in on one side or the other. While it may not be a perfect movie, I think it shows a good slice of life being messy and unpredictable.

I don't disagree with anything you said. Honestly, I still wish there had been a bit more of Sam and Charlotte's story in it before Sarah came along just to get a better feel for their relationship.

While it may not be a perfect movie, I think it shows a good slice of life being messy and unpredictable.

Hi, Discovering Me...I agree with you that the movie is a slice of life film, and the fact that it portrays such conflicted and IMPERFECT characters is interesting. I think it was well acted, too, by everyone, especially Sarah's father. I thought Gerry did a surprisingly good job at that young age, without some of the over-emoting he was prone to do in his earliest days. (Sam is truly glorious to behold, even if he WAS a "gormless idiot.")

I also agree that we should have seen more of the relationship between Sam and Charlotte. It would have made it clearer just what Sam was throwing away to spend a few days with his old girlfriend.

My main complaints about the film are 1) I don't like Sam or Sarah very much, and 2) I think the directing was poor. (Is it just me, or did the film skip around all over the place in a very jerky manner? It was so bad, my friend and I had trouble telling if we were moving forwards and backwards through time or if the transitions between scenes were just that rough.)

While Sam was just weak and wishy-washy, I found Sarah so truly unlikable that I wanted to echo Charlotte's reply to Sam when he said she was dying..."...get ON with it!" However, even saying that, the film was still interesting and worth watching. It is just flawed, somewhat, and centered on two people who seem terribly shallow and weak, to me.

Frankly though, all things considered, I prefer it to The Cherry Orchard, which I have so far been totally unable to sit through. Oh, those melodramatic Russians!! Run away, run awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!

No offense, anyone...strictly my OWN opinions and tastes, here...but give me Dracula and the Phantom over Yasha, any day!

:Draculababy: :reddeath:

:bouncydrool3:

Great thread, btw! LOVE dissecting films!

Hugs,

Marcia

Don't get me started on Cherry Orchard. As much as I would want to tackle our darling Yasha to the ground and have my way with him (over and over and over) again, I can hardly watch that movie. I have never seen something so utterly depressing. Talk about wanting to push just about the whole lot of them off a bridge. Gag!

Now, that said, I know there are those out there who enjoy the movie. And I really am sorry to offend you. It just is one of those movies that I just can't stomach. Not one character that I can remotely identify with, understand or even want to get to know better.

Ok, I've completely exposed my un-PC side. But, you know where I stand!! :bonk::bonk::bonk:

Don't get me started on Cherry Orchard. As much as I would want to tackle our darling Yasha to the ground and have my way with him (over and over and over) again, I can hardly watch that movie. I have never seen something so utterly depressing. Talk about wanting to push just about the whole lot of them off a bridge. Gag!

Now, that said, I know there are those out there who enjoy the movie. And I really am sorry to offend you. It just is one of those movies that I just can't stomach. Not one character that I can remotely identify with, understand or even want to get to know better.

Ok, I've completely exposed my un-PC side. But, you know where I stand!! :bonk::bonk::bonk:

I'm with ya AAAALLL the way on that one, girlfriend! I hated everything from the silly

"Mama" character, practically walking around with her fingers in her ears going "Lalalalalalalaaaaaa" when anyone tries to explain The Situation to her, to the simpering maid/friend/whoeversheis, to the Old Man channeling Tim Conway as he shuffles around bent over and muttering to himself. My friend Barbara and I tried to watch it Sunday, but between laughing hysterically at the old guy and being utterly perplexed (and even bored) by the rest of them...we just couldn't do it, even for Gerry. I will put the dvd in my computer and fast forward to any interesting Yasha moments, and that's IT. I'm never going to watch that entire movie. It goes right up there on my shelf next to Reign of Fire, which I wouldn't sit through again for 100 Creedy's. (Though I DID like the dragons quite a lot...I was rooting for THEM, in fact.)

And if that means risking the wrath of the PC police, so be it. However, I fully respect the right of other fans to like these films...even to love them. It's just that *I* don't. I'd rather watch a blood-sucking vampire any day...especially one as handsome as OUR particular blood-sucking vampire. But that's why there's chocolate, strawberry and vanilla in the ice cream freezer, eh? Something for everybody!

Hugs,

Marcia

:fans:

Definitely worth fast forwarding to the Yasha scenes. In addition to being the sexiest Russian of the bunch, he isthe comic relief of the movie. (Ok, the old man was funny too.) I'll have to be under sedation to watch it all the way through again.

Now, ROF I do like, for some reason. I think it's the whole Gerry and Christian Bale in a movie together thing going on. I'm not a Sci-Fi flick fan but this one is all right. Although, I lose a bit of the will to continue watching after the incineration scene. :tissues:

Now Dracula. :hubba:

But since this is a thread about OMK, I'll stop now.

Sorry for the hijacking folks. Back on track.

Now about Sam.......

Definitely worth fast forwarding to the Yasha scenes. In addition to being the sexiest Russian of the bunch, he isthe comic relief of the movie. (Ok, the old man was funny too.) I'll have to be under sedation to watch it all the way through again.

Now, ROF I do like, for some reason. I think it's the whole Gerry and Christian Bale in a movie together thing going on. I'm not a Sci-Fi flick fan but this one is all right. Although, I lose a bit of the will to continue watching after the incineration scene. :tissues:

Now Dracula. :hubba:

But since this is a thread about OMK, I'll stop now.

Sorry for the hijacking folks. Back on track.

Now about Sam.......

I have trouble with Reign of Fire because 1) I think Christian Bale & Mathew McConnaghey are overrated actors (and I'm being VERY kind here, since my true opinion of each of them is much worse than that) and 2) the story line has way too many holes in it, even though I AM a sci-fi fan, when it is done well, and 3) there was not enough Gerry to save the rest of the film. The only fun scene for me was the one where they were acting out Star Wars. And why does Christian Bale talk like his tongue is too big for his mouth? Is that an effect he used just for this movie, or is that the way he always talks? I dunno...the movie was just awful to me, so I will never watch it again, I'm afraid. Though I DO realize others have enjoyed it, so what do I know?

Sam, Sam, Sam...

lovely to look at,

delightful to touch,

I'd take him home,

but his brains aren't so much!

Ack! :funnyface:

And back to the directing ...did you see it as sloppily done? Just curious, as I sure was not impressed with it. I AM looking forward to seeing the movie again with closed captioning so I can study the dialog a bit more closely, and see if that changes my "take" on any of the characters.

Marcia :Draculababy:

I don't know that I would call the OMK sloppy but I know there are film buffs that might. I think there were areas that could have been explored more so I don't know if that is in the directing, the editing or the story itself. Perhaps all three. :confused:

I don't know that I would call the OMK sloppy but I know there are film buffs that might. I think there were areas that could have been explored more so I don't know if that is in the directing, the editing or the story itself. Perhaps all three. :confused:

What I'm talking about is probably a combination of all three. The editing is the worst of the three...it skips around in such a jerky manner, it is hard to know if you are watching flashbacks or the present. As we both said, the relationship between Sam & Charlotte should have been explored a bit more, and I think had the directing been stronger, we would have been able to understand their motivations a lot better, too. I mean, why IS Sam so weak-willed and easily manipulated, for instance?

I guess what disappoints me most about this film is that it had the potential to be a lot MORE than it turned out to be. The actors all did fine jobs (though I think the actress playing Sarah was poorly cast in that role. She didn't appear to be as "spunky and devil-may-care" as they wanted us to believe Sarah was.) But, the acting is certainly credible and in some scenes, quite well done. But still the story lacks the power it could have had.

When you compare it to Dear Frankie, for instance...another Slice of Life, "small" story...it suffers greatly in comparison. DF is so well written, so perfectly directed and beautifully filmed, and so well acted that you feel you are "pulled right in" to more than Lizzie's eyes. You feel yourself going into the hearts and minds of each character. There is a sense of identification with them and a sense of "knowing" them, even though there are many details we aren't told. Now when I watch DF, it's as though these characters are part of my family. I feel like OMK should have been THAT kind of film, and COULD have been, had it been handled more deftly. Does that make sense?

Hugs,

Marcia

Perfectly said and I agree with your critiques of the film. It's great to see Gerry be involved in so many different types of projects. To see his own skills as an actor progress as well as the film roles that he chooses. And just think, he's getting better and better.

I'm not sure if my heart, mind and body can take much more. :swoon:

Off the OMK subject for a moment, have you seen The Jury? If not, you must.

Ok, back to OMK.

Perfectly said and I agree with your critiques of the film. It's great to see Gerry be involved in so many different types of projects. To see his own skills as an actor progress as well as the film roles that he chooses. And just think, he's getting better and better.

I'm not sure if my heart, mind and body can take much more. :swoon:

Off the OMK subject for a moment, have you seen The Jury? If not, you must.

Ok, back to OMK.

Thanks, discoveringme! And I agree with you 100%. It IS great to see Gerry play so many kinds of roles, and to watch him grow and improve his acting skills, which I think he does by leaps and bounds in each new project. (I LOVE that he has learned to scale back a bit and approach his characters with a bit of "stillness" now...though still able to RAGE when necessary, of course.) I was SO glad he didn't take on the Bond role...I dreaded seeing him get locked into those formulaic movies! It's so much better to wonder WHO he will be next! Good guy, bad guy, sweetheart or villain? And I think he is going to continue to hone his craft with each new project.

The Jury is almost the only thing I haven't seen yet, but I'm planning to buy it soon. I have seen clips from it, and it looks like a stunning performance. Plus I have heard that the entire series is really well done. I'm looking forward to seeing it!

Okay, back to OMK, indeed...about that ramshackle "house" they kept returning to. I'm not sure what the significance of it is, unless it is someplace Sarah and Sam used to go in their younger days. But I AM sure...pretty sure, anyway...that they consummate their current relationship there the night of the opera. There were too many close ups of legs and arms and stuff for it to mean anything else, as I recall. That's how my friend and I interpreted it when we watched it before, but I will pay closer attention when I get the new DVD. How did you take that scene?

Marcia

That's how I interpreted it as well. But it does bear another look and believe it not, I'm not :gutter: on that. It just had that feel to it, though.

And did they ever explain the significance of the house? I'm assuming it had something to do with their past but I can't remember if it was specifically addressed. It's been awhile since I watched it.

My favorite character in the whole thing was the Dad. Even though he was a bit of a grump, he loved his daughter and was really doing his best. None of us is perfect as a parent and I think he began to make changes in his life after she came back to Scotland.

I don't like disliking Sarah so much. I mean she's dying and I want to have sympathy for her. But she was just sooooooo selfish I couldn't stand it. Also, I wasn't thrilled with the performance but I think I would want to see her in another role just to compare. Sometimes it's how a character is written.

I like that this movie makes it hard to automatically settle in on one side or the other. While it may not be a perfect movie, I think it shows a good slice of life being messy and unpredictable.

Aye, cha-ching! That's what I like about the film and hate about it at the same time. Well, meaning from an emotional POV I hate that.

I'm adapting this film to stage for my final directing project next semester (all done legally, no worries ::D: ) Anyway, it's going to be a struggle for me to sympathize with each character, but I think that's why I picked it, and I want to pose the questions the text rises to an unsuspecting group of young theatre students.... :muahaha: