Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Abrock

One More Kiss

I like that this movie makes it hard to automatically settle in on one side or the other. While it may not be a perfect movie, I think it shows a good slice of life being messy and unpredictable.

Aye, cha-ching! That's what I like about the film and hate about it at the same time. Well, meaning from an emotional POV I hate that.

I'm adapting this film to stage for my final directing project next semester (all done legally, no worries ::D: ) Anyway, it's going to be a struggle for me to sympathize with each character, but I think that's why I picked it, and I want to pose the questions the text rises to an unsuspecting group of young theatre students.... :muahaha:

Oh, Mel, that would be an exciting project to work on! I hope you will be able to delve a bit more into the characters, so that the audience can understand them better. Will you keep us posted on your progress?

Discoveringme, I agree that I would LIKE to like Sarah better. I WANTED to be able to empathize with Sarah and Sam and feel like they were so in love, they couldn't help themselves...caught up in something beyond their control or understanding, sort of. Instead I just felt like ol' Gormless Sam was being manipulated by this selfish, shallow woman, and the woman who had stood beside him and built a life with him was getting shafted. At least I totally understood Charlotte's jealousy and anger about it, but I never, ever understood Sam or Sarah, and I could NOT sympathize with them.

On a brighter note...I could watch Young Beautiful Gerard fly a kite in the sunshine all day long!

Marcia

Ah yes, he did look lovely in that sweater as well. I feel the need for a tackle coming on. *snicker* And wasn't that cute when they started singing in the car? :swoon: I'm such a sap for this man.

I love the description, "Gormless Sam". It does suit the poor bloke. He needed a bit of a spine for sure.

Abrock-How totally cool that you are doing this for your project. I'm anxious to hear about it. Promise to keep us updated?

Aye, I'll keep ya'll updated. :smile: And this way, I have a definite interest in the show so I can delve a ton, it's going to be very interesting....

I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to have only four characters....being of course, Sam, Charlotte, Sarah and Frank. One reason, I have to cut it down to forty minutes. I might keep what's-his-name...oh shoot, you know, the guy cancer patient that's horribly bitter? Anyway, I've yet to finalize the script.

Aye, I'll keep ya'll updated. :smile: And this way, I have a definite interest in the show so I can delve a ton, it's going to be very interesting....

I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to have only four characters....being of course, Sam, Charlotte, Sarah and Frank. One reason, I have to cut it down to forty minutes. I might keep what's-his-name...oh shoot, you know, the guy cancer patient that's horribly bitter? Anyway, I've yet to finalize the script.

Yeah, you go, Mel! I would SO love to see this story told BETTER. It could have been so much more than it was. I can't wait to hear how your project progresses!

:claphands:

Hugs,

Marcia

Ah yes, he did look lovely in that sweater as well. I feel the need for a tackle coming on. *snicker* And wasn't that cute when they started singing in the car? :swoon: I'm such a sap for this man.

I love the description, "Gormless Sam". It does suit the poor bloke. He needed a bit of a spine for sure.

I love that phrase, too...and as I said in my first post, Sam apparently has nary a trace of GORM! He's just a big, good lookin' :doof:

Oh, yes...the lovely sweater! The hair flopping down over his eyes...the BEEEYOOOOTIFUL smile!!!

:wub: :wub: :wub:

You can forgive a LOT of :doof: for a guy who looks like THAT!

:drink:

Hugs,

Marcia

I was very excited to get my copy of OMK. I thought it was a good movie. It did skip around, and leave things out. Gerry was just gorgeous. I just love him. His picture is hanging up over my bedroom desk. My husband doesn't appreciate this , but he looks a lot like Gerry. I think the opera scene was hard to understand, probably was an affair. I liked the actress that played Sarah. I thought Sam and Sarah looked good together. I don't like it when tall men go with short women. Gerry is a very good actor, and only gets better. I can't wait to see Beowulf, and the Game of Their Lives. That's all. TallMary :inlove:

Hey Mary

I'm with you on the opera scene. It was so an affair and then he rushes to her in hospital. I liked the film but I didn't like Gerry and Sam together I just couldn't see it long term :confused: but that's just me!

I really liked her relationship with her dad and the whole connection they shared! Sweet film and good for the times it was made

Gerry is a cutie in it but i do prefer the filled out Gerry better than the younger Gerry :behave:

I'm assuming you meant Gerry(Sam) and Sarah together? Gerry and Sam together just doesn't seem right. :lol:

I didn't like the idea of Sam ending up with Sarah. I just felt like they had their shot and Sam had moved on. But I guess, maybe he hadn't. I don't know. His weakness frustrated me but dang if he wasn't a cutie. Such a beautiful face, for sure.

I did mean Gerry's character Sam and Sarah looked good together. Sam and his wife were very cute together also. I don't believe in infedelity. I just liked the way Sam and Sarah were together I think the fun had fallen out of his marriage, and he cared about Sarah and wanted her to be happy, and his own happiness before Sarah died. Does that make sense. Mary

Yeah, Mary that makes sense, no worries.

In my opinion, Sam left pieces of his heart with Sarah permanently...which is pretty obvious as the story plays out. As far as Sam and Charlotte...and when I direct this in the fall...I'm gonna have to bat around a lot of ideas (and with my actors as well) of how their marriage was before Sarah re-entered Sam's life. We get the barest of glimpses into their life together before Sarah comes knocking.

Charlotte is devoted, no doubt there. But she's also very jealous and suspicious. I don't think that part of her ever really came out before, at least to Sam, before Sarah came back. So, was she content before? Perhaps walking on eggshells their whole marriage just waiting for something to happen? She mentions in their big fight that she never really wanted to run a restaurant, that she was doing it all for Sam. Is it the Runaway Bride syndrome, molding herself to what she thinks Sam wants...only until it seemingly becomes obsolete?

Ooooh so many questions! *pulls out analytical pen*

Guest greyeyegoddess

omy...I just really sat and watched this yesterday with Cyndee and boy, did we have a conversation about this. It's a movie that definitely makes you think. I like those kinds of movies. I wasn't upset about the characters. Like most, I could see where the characters were going. There could have been things done that could have eased tension between all three characters... a little give and take between all of them. I actually think all of them were quite selfish. Cyndee mentioned that maybe Charlotte could have said something to the effect when Sarah asked for her husband, "Why don't we three do things together?" especially feeling the way she did about Sarah.

The biggest shock to me was the "Let's have a baby" announcement. Were their lives so unconnected that the only time they could discuss a family was while they were working?

Why didn't Frank tell Sarah that Sam was married? Geez, when I was in Brazil for 16 months, my family told me everything about the guy I had dated, even when I didn't want to know! That little knowledge could have saved everyone. It seemed that Frank had known about Sam, even though he had never gone to Sam's restaurant.

I think I laughed more than I really should have. The movie does pull at emotions, because you can laugh at one point and cry at the next.

I hate to admit, but I know how both Charlotte and Sarah feel, and probably Sam, too. I've been on all sides (not seriously ill or anything) but just the fact that ex's wives always have this "stay away from me" attitude when I'm introduced. Later on, I've been told that these women were intimidated by me (what are their husband's saying about me?). PLEEZE! There's nothing intimidating about me.

I can see where Sam was going. I have this weird idea that had Charlotte been ok with just spending time, or actually spent time with Sam and Sarah, knowing Sarah wasn't going to be alive much longer, it wouldn't have turned out the way it did. But then, I really don't know what Sam and Sarah did in the little house. Some say they were quite intimate, which would lead one to feel Sam's grief at the hospital. I felt that it was Charlotte's imagination going, since all she could think of was, "Where was Sam?" She was already feeling pushed out of the picture, why wouldn't she feel that he was cheating on her, on his birthday of all days?

What also bothered me was when Charlotte mentioned how she never wanted to work at the restaurant..she did it all for Sam. That's a big red flag for me! It would have come out in something else if it wasn't through Sarah's appearance. She wasn't connecting with Sam (but she had some great dresses!) so what was their story? How did they get together? They didn't like to spend the same kind of time together. Did they just love being in love?

I did enjoy Frank's character. I didn't think it was fair that he told Sarah that he wanted her and Sam to get together. Another personal sore spot, tugging at me all the time I stay in the city that I live in. And I'm not crazy about sushi either. LOL!

Mel, let me know when you get the play going. If we can see it, I'd love to visit.

~alice

Edited by greyeyegoddess

This Movie really did stir the Emotions!.....I felt for ALL of them....But the most telling dialogue was The moment Sam said.. "I lost the Love of my life once ..I don't think I could go through it again"....Well somethng to that effect (don't remeber the exact Line....But it tore me apart and I knew ..no matter the repercussions.. he would have to be with her...and would probably have to live on the moments for a long time.

Gerry's portrayal broke my heart , he was angry, soulful and compassionate..Amazing performance.

I thought both woman were perfect...but I too wish they had stayed more with the conflict BTW Sam /Sharah/Charlotte...and perhaps the father just a LITTLE more in the Background.

But it was a beautiful movie and one of those 3am , can't sleep plays I so dearly hold onto..

Edited by Micky

Mel, let me know when you get the play going. If we can see it, I'd love to visit.

~alice

Hey, that would be SO awesome! Unfortunately, it's only playing for one day, three times during that day. There will be previews for my directing instructor, that may also be a possibility.

If I remember correctly, it goes up the first Thursday in November.

:smile:

~alice

Hey, that would be SO awesome! Unfortunately, it's only playing for one day, three times during that day. There will be previews for my directing instructor, that may also be a possibility.

If I remember correctly, it goes up the first Thursday in November.

:smile:

This sounds like a movie very adaptable to a play-good idea! I wish I could see how you handle the opera scene and the arms and legs flailing about shot that someone talked about earlier. LOL. I guess you could turn the lights off and use strobe or something during the big smooch.

Anyway-good choice for a movie adaptation. ::D:

Okay I just watched OMK and I think I have to watch it again.......I have to say it is a good movie (not my favorite) because Gerry is in it I will be watching it again. My DVD player was happy to have a new movie in because I have worn out( POTO, Attila, Dear Frankie, Dracula, Mrs Brown, Jury, Shooters, Reign of fire, Lara Croft Cradle of Life, Timeline and B & G..) I guess I expected more out of this movie, it gives all the emotions but not enough of Sam and to much of Frank......So that is my only complaint..

:bump:

Sorry for necroposting as this thread is really old. But I just watched this movie a week ago and yesterday I tried to watch it again but fell asleep. I mean, I like movies that are sorta slow and make you think but there´s a limit for everything! Gee, they could have just deleted some more scenes!

Can´t say that I sympathised with the characters that much either. I found Sarah especially annoying.

Gerry was gorgeous though. :drool1: It´s incredible how much he´s changed!

This was a good idea to bump this cause it makes for a good discussion. I remember when I first watched this movie I just couldn't decide if I was mad, sad, or confused. Apparently it was confusion! :bonk: After watching it a second time I came to the conclusion and this is JMO....that they were all selfish. Even though Sarah was ill she chose to leave 8 years ago and not look back. Sam was devasted but moved on and married another whom I'm sure thought he loved her. In the beginning of the movie when he was rubbing her aching feet ....and I would really have to love somebody to touch their feet!..... they seemed to me to be a fairly happy couple at the end of a long day! Now in comes Sarah.... The once upon a time love of his life......I want to spend the rest of my living days with your "husband" do you mind??? Sorry folks but I would have thrown her out the front door! She had no right to ask that of her or for that matter Sam. Did she think of him before she got sick? Sick or not after finding out that Sam was married she should have left it at that and said she was just visiting her Dad for a while and not have said anything about her health! What she did was to make Charlotte almost feel obligated to let her "USE" her husband. That was selfish...........and BTW I didn't like the way she used her Dad most of the time either! Sam didn't even have any second thoughts about his wifes feelings. All he could think about was being with Sarah and to Hell with his life and his "wife" that was selfish. Charlotte should have stood up for herself more and right from the beginning insist that if he chose to do this then their marriage meant nothing to him and that it would be over! Now...even though that sounds selfish to some ...it would answer one question...did he value their marriage and did he really love her enough to deny Sarahs request? I don't know about anybody else but if my husband turned his back on me like that I would have done the same thing Charlotte did! I guess I really felt the impact when she was at the opera and he never showed up.........instead he went to meet Sarah and in my eyes they made love! Leaving his wife that has been at his side and even though she said in anger that she didn't even want the Bloody business she never said anything cause it was Sams dream ...with her heart and herself broken......she knew then and there he made his choice and just how much he DIDN'T love her!! He got what he deserved in the end. I know evertime it gets to the part where she is at the opera crying her eyes out......I cry right along with her! This is my take on this movie .....when I feel sad and meloncholy I will put this movie in cause I know I'm gonna have a good cry ......and you know after a good cry we all feel better right? :kisswink: BTW....I think Julian Jensens version of Caruso (the opera) was magnificent.........Josh Grobin does it too and every time I hear it I think of the movie!

:wave: Fran

When I watched the film, I just thought to myself that in this situation, it is difficult, if possible at all, to react in a "right" way. All of the main characters had their justifiable reasons and flaws - all were just human beings with their faults, which I liked about the film. I fully understand that Sam wanted to make the last days of his ex-girlfriend nice, but they did not need to go so far (I also assumed they were making love in that old house). From the point of view of Sarah, it might seem like emotional blackmailing, but it is difficult to put yourself into shoes of somebody who knows she has just few days/months left, while the others will be around for many more years (and can make it up later). She was probably very selfish, too much career oriented, less emotional in general - I think the actress played this very well. So even in this situation, it was just another goal, plan to push through for her. She did not seem to too much considerate as a person. Normally, we tend to feel compassion with people suffering from terminal illness, it is true that Sarah did not evoke it so much. Charlotte has probably met Sam only after Sarah had left (if she did not know Sarah at all). I do not know, probably if she was more accommodating at the beginning, if all three together did only some "harmless" activities for Sarah to feel better (like parachuting, kite, horseriding...) it would solve the situation somehow. But it is really difficult to say. It would have been something else if, for example, all three of them were friends from their childhood, but it was not the case. But I really hated the behaviour of Sam when he let Charlotte be alone at the concert (if he knew she was there just because of him, that she actually did not like the music). One thing is "not to hurt anybody", but here he was hurting quite a lot. And I agree with Charlotta that she behaved as she behaved.

I do not know how often did Sarah contact even her father, she apparently visited first Sam, and only then went to her father, so Frank could not have told her that Sam was married, but if I was Sarah, I would assume that a boy in this age can marry or date another woman if I left him "unattended" eight years before that....

I found the film interesting, none of the characters is black-and-white, you have something to think about. And he looked so cute! He should let his hair grow longer even now! :pointy:

Edited by Donnie