Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Beanie

300, Seriously

Guest Beanie

Ok, GALS... I know a lot of us have been perving really hard over the newest photos. *ehem*

But in my mind, I am really looking forward to this movie for other reasons. (Ok, ok, pick your jaws up off the ground and just listen. Sheesh!)

I have the graphic novel 300 in my posession, and I have researched the history of King Leonidas and the 'gates' here and there. So I'm here to tell you that I am really excited to see how Gerry brings this character to life. This story is really all about self sacrifice and doing the hard thing because it is the right thing to do. This king had to convince his best men to follow him on a quest that would undoubtably end in death. How does a man do such a thing? What qualities must be innate in him to inspire such loyalty? And what sort of man willingly puts himself in the way of certain death for an ideal? Are you getting the vision now?

I am so excited that Ger got this role. Based on his past performances, it is making me squirm with anticipation to see how he will portray this amazing historical figure -- what courage and depth he will give him, and make us inspired all over again.

Add to all this the fact that the artistic vision for this film is breathtaking. I do believe I am going to cry buckets at this movie, overwhelmed by the beauty and heroicism of it all. What say you?

:leo: Yes I admit I have participated in the recent discussions about certain body attributes of Gerry's that are well, highlighted by this costume...

But when you describe the story like that - it's sounds like something right up Gerry's alley.. intense & inspiring!!!! Can hardly wait... Interesting that Gerry picks roles where his face is often covered by some costume item???

Should be good at the theatres.. big, graphic historical story.. excellent..

Great topic Beans!!

I bought the graphic novel as well when I heard Gerry was going to be in the movie. I'm not a great fan of graphic novels usually. But I was intrigued with the notion of this one being turned in to a movie like Spin City. Everything I've seen so far indicates this is going to be a artistic triumph. Not only is Gerry putting his body in to it but the intensity he projects in the clips we have been lucky enough to see tells me it is going to be one of his finest performances.

Zack Snyder's interpretation appears to be stunning and determined to keep the true spirit of Frank Millers novel. I am awaiting each release of information with baited breath and constantly searching the web for more.

I have also read a lot about the Spartans and the Battle of Thermopylae. The study has proved most interesting and rewarding. There is little to admire in the social structure of the Spartan society by todays standards. But much to be admired for this one shining moment in their history. And this particular King what little is known about him is very interesting and I am sure will be somewhat glossed over in the movie.

Carrie

Beanie ~

Thanks for bringing this up. Whilst I am thrilled with the costumes on “300" *clears throat*, I am so looking forward to seeing Gerry on the silver screen once again plying his trade ever so brilliantly. I have never seen another actor with the intensity Gerry has for his characters. His passion for each and every one of his roles comes through loud and clear and even if the films he has been in were “flops,” Gerry’s portrayals were always far beyond the “norm.” I’m sure his role as “King Leonidas” will be just as spectacular as the other roles he has played.

There is something about historical movies that I absolutely love! For some reason, I just see Gerry doing historical films better than other actors. What is it about him that he can seemingly feel what those people of the past must have been feeling? I believe, based on the story of the Spartans, this will be a chance for Gerry to truly shine. With the passion Gerry is able to emote, the small details he never seems to miss, the subtle nuances that make his characters “real,” Gerry is sure to never have to say, “Remember the face” again. There’ll be no forgetting it after “300.”

:hugs:

Dr. Em

I've been checking the 300 website daily, hoping for new photos or additional design images. I have always loved this type of film, and I'm thrilled that Gerry was chosen for this role. As he has done with each iconic figure he has portrayed, he will likely utilize his considerable talent, and uncanny ability to go beneath the surface of characters who could become one dimensional and predictable.

I have not read the novel, but have visited the discussions on GB.net. The story is quite intriguing.

I am an artist of sorts, so the beautiful artwork and cutting edge design are fascinating to me. Overall, it looks to be a brilliant work, and I certainly hope the film gets wide distribution.

I can't wait to see more! Following the progress of this fim is like watching a birth!

I am very proud of our Gerry!

Swan

Edited by Swansong

Beanie - thank you for really making me THINK about this movie. The more I think of it the more excited I become and NOT over the costumes (that is its own discussion elsewhere). I am excited about the theme of the movie and the fact that Gerry will be portraying such an incredible character from history, a King who inspired that loyalty. I am excited to see him portray the conflict that must go on within this man (for he may be a ruler but he is also a man, and that is something I'm confident Gerry will bring out if allowed to). He is a man who must lead his loyal troops into a battle to the death - their deaths. How tormented that must make him feel in some ways while realizing it is for the greater good, the good of their country that the few shall die. That is quite a premise.

I'm also very excited about the look of the movie - it looks like it is going to be very special. Live action that almost looks animated, as opposed to the current trend of animation that almost looks live action.

I'm excited that even at this early stage the film is getting great buzz from all different segments of the audience. The graphic novel fans, the Gerry fans, history fans....this could really turn out to be as HUUUUGE a project as Gerry first intimated in that interview at the Red Eye premiere.

So even though I am a hot blooded lusty GAL who will more than appreciate the physical attributes being displayed in the movie I realize there are a great deal more things about it that make me more excited to see this film than any I can remember awaiting.

Gerry, we are with you, rooting you on as you complete the filming. I think you know that your GALS have every confidence in you - this film is going to show the rest of the world what we already know - that you are a GINORMOUS talent in the world of cinema, an actor who deserves to be at the top of the heap.

I still remember how excited Gerry was when Rebecca Murray, the film critic from About.com, interviewed him this past summer. He seemed as if he could hardly contain himself!

He wasn't kidding when he said it was 'huge'....Warner Bros. is really doing this up big time, it seems!

I really am hoping this is the role that makes him a 'household name'...one that will make everyone take notice (finally) of the talent we know he possesses! Maybe this will be the movie that will give him clout in the industry; then he can work on the type of movies that are dear to him.

See, it even inspired me to stay up too late again - and make a whole new siggy in honor of 300!

Very nice siggy Sporran! :leo:

Yeah--Good topic! I wish I had more time for a well thought out reply, but I don't.

But, after the intensity of Miller's "Sin City' which also has a good story and every time the characters tried to do the right thing, tragedy befell them, I can really say I fully expect this to be a wild ride. And yeah, I'll probably cry too Beans!

Great siggy, Susan!!! And I LOVE all the new mod and admin signs!!! Makes me wish... *sniff* that I were as cool as you guys! LOL

Anyhoo... Hubby said the other night that he didn't think it will live up to the hype. I reapect his opinion (a little) but I think he's wrong. I think is WILL be huge! I *hope* it will be!!!

Lish - I hadn't even noticed the new mod icons (duh)...but just think in 35 more posts you'll be Gerry's 3am GAL (again). I loved the addition of Leo but it was a bummer that some lost the 3am status when Leo joined the ranks.

I think a lot of hubbys who didn't care for some of the other Gerry movies will like this one. I don't have to worry, my hubby has liked all the Gerry movies he has seen (and I think he's seen all of them since D2k, except ROF ~ we have it but I don't think he's watched it).

I really liked ROF. Even though Creedy didn't last long.

About the 3am thing... at first I was a bit bummed, but I like that we have to keep working for it!! 3am GAL is such a prestigious honor! I'm just glad we're getting new characters to push it up with!!! I can only imagine if Burns goes through. "Rabbie's Poetic GAL" *swoon* I'm just in love with the man!!!

Oh yeah... the movie. Forgot what we were talking about! I had a Gerry lust blackout there!!! Barry liked a few of the movies. ROF, Timeline and D2k. He watched the end of The Jury (like the last half of episode 6) and he didn't make the gag face. I think he really would have liked it. I hope he sees 300 with me. It's so his kind of movie!

Yep, Mark liked a few. Even DF lol, thought it probably wasn't something he'd go out and buy per se. But, "300" is most definately his kinda movie so yaaay!

What I am most excited (okay, second most excited next to seeing Gerry half naked) is the whole green screen thing. I think about how our emotions are shaped by our environment, our surroundings, the things we visually absorb. It is easy to get caught up in the beauty or the tragedy of a moment, overcome with joy or sadness by whatever it is fueling our fires.

How difficult might it be for Gerry to be an actor playing out his role as King Leonidas, barefoot on a cold cement floor surrounded by scaffolds and concrete walls instead of a magnificently sculpted set or the glory of the scenic outdoors where even the production crew is surrounded by beautiful things. There are no visual treats for him to fuel his acting. He is alone with his creative talent likely dredging up scenes, pictures, distant memories of things needed for the moment. This is an opportunity for Gerry to prove to the naysayers that he is indeed made of the right stuff, a chance to showcase not only his tremendous talent but also a glorious display of that incredibly magnificent sculpted body.

:inlove: :leo: :inlove: :leo:

Lisa

:gerrygasm:

Guest Beanie
Wow, Adoring... great point. I've often thought of the green screen thing myself, trying to wonder what it must be like to act in those conditions, or if the good ones don't even see a difference in their technique at all? Would love to ask him that someday.

We've seen the thighs, the arms, the pecs, the abs - and thank you verra much to the Almightly - but I desperately wanna see his BACKSIDE, his arse :barebum:, his back, those broad sexy shoulders creating the inverted triangle to his backside. :barebum:

What was the costume designer thinking anyway, capes for warriors who really went naked. She clearly ain't no GAL, or maybe she is but she just doesn't know what she's suffering from. Hehehehe.

:barebum:

:lustylunatic: :leo:

:funnypost: Adoring - I'm sure what the costume designer was doing was replicating as closely as they could the look of the Frank Miller 300 book. Which, not to overstate the obvious, is the reason the movie is being made. Throughout the graphic novel you never see more of King Leo than is currently being shown from the production shots so far. Although otehr Spartan warriors are shown nude in the graphic novel, King Leonides is not.

Gerry - looks so intense, I'm sure this is going to be one of his greatest roles!

Carrie

Well, the cape is to wrap us up in so we can be by that warm delish bod on those cold nights!!! :cunning:

Sarah ::D:

Oh, SarahKitty, I like the way you think!

Also, it might present Gerry more opportunities for cape twirling! He does that better than anyone I've ever seen! Maybe King Geo will throw his spear, and then turn away with a twirl of his cape! :bonk: