Gerard Butler GALS

2010 Gerard's Grove & Phantom's Phorest News

Some of you may already be aware of Gerard's Groves

which have been planted in his name in the Highlands of Scotland. The reforestation of the Highlands is

an ongoing effort by the people at Trees for Life near Inverness along with other environmental groups.

Only 1% of Scotland's original forest remains. With your help we can bring back the Scots Pine forests

along with the animals that depend upon them.

This thread was created for the 2009 Un-raffle, but will now focus on any news about Gerard's groves.

Together we can reforest the Highlands of Scotland!

Posted Image

Gerard's words to us regarding his forest:

"I just heard about this Trees for Life. That is so cool!

Restoring these Caledonian forests in Scotland which is,

if you ask me, one of the biggest heartbreaks in the history of our country,

is very imaginative and different ...

Congratulations to you guys!"

A wee Scots pine.

Posted Image

About Trees for Life:

Scotland is a prime candidate for ecological restoration work, as it is one of the countries which has suffered most from environmental degradation in the past.

The Highlands in particular have been described as a 'wet desert' as a result of the centuries of exploitation which have reduced them to their present impoverished and barren condition.

With most other countries now repeating the same ecological mistakes, Trees for Life believes that the onus is on Scotland to provide an example of reversing the damage which has been done there.

Trees for Life believes that the work to restore the Caledonian Forest will not only help to bring the land in Scotland back to a state of health and balance,

but also have global relevance, as a model for similar projects in other countries.

If you have any further questions, please PM me!

Edited by Peigimccann
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your support, ladies!

D, even one tree helps immensely. over its lifetime one tree can absorb over 1 ton of C02.

I visited the first grove the summer it was planted

and then last year again,

the survival rate of the trees was 100%,

simply amazing!

View north to the Highlands from Gerard's First Grove

Posted Image

View south to the Higlands from Gerard's Corrimony Grove

Posted Image

Edited by Peigimccann

Our Phantom Pheast and Phantom Redux held in L.A. each November has been adding some trees to the Phantom's Phorest for the past couple of years, and I so hope to be able to visit this October when I plan to be in Scotland again Maybe I will be lucky enough to see the new plantings! I will certainly be glad to add a few more trees now as well.

Thank you Peigi for bringing your campaign to reforest Scotland over here to GALS, we are proud and happy to be able to help!!

Our Phantom Pheast and Phantom Redux held in L.A. each November has been adding some trees to the Phantom's Phorest for the past couple of years, and I so hope to be able to visit this October when I plan to be in Scotland again Maybe I will be lucky enough to see the new plantings! I will certainly be glad to add a few more trees now as well.

Thank you Peigi for bringing your campaign to reforest Scotland over here to GALS, we are proud and happy to be able to help!!

Susan,

:wave:

I really hope you get to see some of the trees, PM me as the time approaches and I'll give you what directions I can!

And thanks for your continued support through the L.A. event

(which by the way is a fabulous one!)

Edited by Peigimccann

Hi Peigi. Thanks for sharing the information and beautiful pictures. I had tried to do this yesterday, but had problems. Went back today and everything worked fine.

Good luck reaching the goal and please keep us updated.

Thanks!

Ren

Hi Peigi. Thanks for sharing the information and beautiful pictures. I had tried to do this yesterday, but had problems. Went back today and everything worked fine.

Good luck reaching the goal and please keep us updated.

Thanks!

Ren

Ren, thanks so much for adding to the forest!

Happy Earth Day everyone, may this year be your greenest yet!

Happy Earth Day to everyone! There is no better way to celebrate than to plant trees! Thanks for the lovely pictures and updates on the progress of this great project!

Peigi, this is a wonderful way to reforest the Highlands in Gerry's name. You are right, even ONE little tree makes a HUGE impact on the Earth. Best Wishes for continued success!

Hugs,

Diane

Thanks for your kind words, Diane and *guest* !

As of today the tree count has gone from

3229 to 3273

That's 44 trees in 4 days!

Thanks to all of you who have donated,

at this rate we will reach our goal of 4000 trees by July 1st!

This is a spectacular idea and I'm only sorry that I wasn't aware of it sooner...but I will certainly try and help with a couple of trees in a week or so...Have to replenish the green in my bank accnt. first!! :cunning: This is why I love being part of Gerry phandom...I only wish outsiders looking in and judging us with negativity could know the good that we do besides watching over our guy!

Thanks for the heads up, Frannie

Edited by ladyfran

This is a spectacular idea and I'm only sorry that I wasn't aware of it sooner...but I will certainly try and help with a couple of trees in a week or so...Have to replenish the green in my bank accnt. first!! :cunning: This is why I love being part of Gerry phandom...I only wish outsiders looking in and judging us with negativity could know the good that we do besides watching over our guy!

Thanks for the heads up, Frannie

Thanks Frannie, I'll let all of you know when the total changes again, it's usually updated every ten days!

I am so proud to be a member of Gerry's fandom. I am honored that I have been able to participate in the Phantom Phorest project, and proud that we actually DO something with our fandom that honors Gerry.

:hugs: and :hearts:

Lisa

I am so proud to be a member of Gerry's fandom. I am honored that I have been able to participate in the Phantom Phorest project, and proud that we actually DO something with our fandom that honors Gerry.

Thank-you, Lisa!

Here's a new Trees for Life video featuring the song 'Trees' by Iona Leigh and photographs of the Caledonian Forest.

Edited by Peigimccann

Two more great prizes have been donated by Rose for our un-raffle!

A signed CD, Push, To Perfection, from the Scottish band, Spotty Dogg, which includes the track, The Bard.

Posted Image

A Belle Canto CD signed for our cause by sopranos Michelle Crozier and Canadian Kyla Lingley.

This CD has been produced for the Breakthrough Breast Cancer charity.

Posted Image

Thanks Rose!

Click link to see graphic:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/pei.../Treesfinal.jpg

To donate go here.

Edited by becozy
Changed image to link per Guidelines (clickable thumbnails or images no larger than 250x250 are permitted w/i posts)

Congrats on the great job you all are doing for Gerard's Grove and Phantom's Phorest Trees for Life! I love seeing that poster with all the little trees representing just how much has been accomplished there! :goodjob:

Congrats on the great job you all are doing for Gerard's Grove and Phantom's Phorest Trees for Life! I love seeing that poster with all the little trees representing just how much has been accomplished there! :goodjob:

Thanks for your support Alex and Shamrocked!

Trees for Life has planted more than 750,000 trees across its target area Since it was founded in 1989.

Gerard’s Groves count for 1 in 250 trees planted and is “by far the biggest grove” yet sponsored in the Caledonian Forest.

To donate and for a chance to win one of the un-raffle prizes, go here.

Edited by Peigimccann

I'm happy to report that during the first two weeks of the un-raffle

62 trees have been donated bringing the total to

3291 trees !!!

Thank-you

Glen Coe in the Highlands:

Click link to see the photo:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/pei...GlenCoeSite.jpg

Edited by becozy
Changed image to link per Guidelines (clickable thumbnails or images no larger than 250x250 are permitted w/i posts)

Just a reminder that this year's "Un-raffle" will run through midnight June 30, 2009 at which point winners will be chosen randomly by the staff at Trees for Life to each win one of these items:

(To donate to the latest Gerard's Grove or The Phantom's Phorest, which will be planted contiguously in Glen Affric, Scotland, this autumn, go here.

~A copy of Audio Visual Enterprises Magazine July 2007

From Thessaloniki, Greece with the article, “Molon Labe”

and a special pull out section. In Greek.

Posted Image

A signed CD, Push, To Perfection, from the Scottish band, Spotty Dogg, which includes the track, The Bard.

Donated by Rose.

Posted Image

A Belle Canto CD signed for our cause by sopranos Michelle Crozier and Canadian Kyla Lingley.

This CD has been produced for the Breakthrough Breast Cancer charity. Donated by Rose.

Posted Image

~ Seven Gerard Butler quilted pillow covers handmade by felliniquilter who says, "Here's your chance to snuggle with Gerry on those lonely nights when you travel or just want to feel closer to The Real Thing!

~A personally signed DVD from Christ Tait the famous Robert Burns impersonator. Donated by Rose.

~An autographed CD, "The Greatest Love Poems in the World,” the love poetry of Robert Burns presented and donated by David Sibbald.

This CD contains many of Burn’s best known poems such as "My Luev is Like a Red Red Rose" and "Ae Fond Kiss" as well as many others.

Posted Image

~An intricate handmade chain maille bracelet created and donated by GeriatricFan.

~Stunning handmade chain maille earrings also donated by GeriatricFan.

~An autographed copy of the Clarinda the Musical by Kevin and Mike. Donated by Rose.

~A copy of

Men’s Health Magazine October 2008 with Gerard on the cover.

And the feature article, “The Men’s Health Guy 300 Star, Gerard Butler”

Posted Image

~A copy of Men’s Vogue Magazine November 2008

with Daniel Craig on the cover.

And the feature article, “Men of Action Daniel Craig Vs. Gerard Butler”

Posted Image

~An autographed CD, "The Greatest Poems in the World,” the poetry of Robert Burns presented and donated by David Sibbald.

These double CDs contain many of Burn’s best known poems such as "To A Mouse" and "Tam O’Shanter," as well as many others.

Posted Image

~A copy of

Men’s Health Magazine October 2008 with Gerard on the cover.

And the feature article, “The Men’s Health Guy 300 Star, Gerard Butler”

Posted Image

~A book of sheet music, “Piano Vocal Selections from The Phantom of the Opera: Includes material from the movie.”

Posted Image

~A poster from 300 of the Persians falling over the cliff from an anonymous donor.

Posted Image

~ A double sided PS, I Love You poster from an anonymous donor.

Posted Image

~ A framed, signed POTO film cell with a print from the movie from an anonymous donor.

Thanks to all prize donors for their generosity!

Edited by Peigimccann

Gerard Groves and the Phantom's Phorests now have

3,328 trees!

That's 99 trees since the un-raffle began!

Thanks to all of you who have donated, we're well on our way to 4000

by Gerry's 40th!

To donate and have a chance to win one of the prizes go here.

Heather

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/pei.../HeatherGG1.jpg

Edited by Susan~Sporran
Photo changed to link due to size

Some of you might like to see where Gerard's Grove have been planted.

Posted Image

This year's groves will be planted in Corrimony this fall. Here are a few photos of the area:

4000 year old burial cairn at the entrance to Gerard's Corrimony Grove preserve.

Posted Image

A volunteer planting the first Phantom's Phorest.

Posted Image

Scots Pine bark in the Corrimony Grove.

Posted Image

the view south from Gerard's Corrimony Grove.

Posted Image

To donate and enter the un-raffle go here!