Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Swansong

Comedies verses Drama

http://movies.about.com/b/2009/04/24/the-soloist-review.htm

Hi everyone,

I just ran across this very interesting review of The Soloist by Rebecca Murray. In this article she states that now is not the time for Hollywood to release heavy dramas, because audiences are too stressed out about what's going on the real world. They want comedies or movies that help them escape from their troubles at home.

There has been quite a bit of discussion in Gerrydom, and it appears that some fans wonder why Gerry is choosing several comedies for his upcoming projects. These fans would prefer that he sign on for dramas which would showcase his full range as an actor. Some of the fans are disappointed that his next announced project is a comedy with Jennifer Aniston. I find it interesting that Rebecca's comments confirm my own belief that Gerry is making wise choices for his career.

I would venture a guess that TUT will benifit from the fact that dramas are not doing good BO, while comedies are.

Rebecca writes great reviews and articles!

What are your thoughts?

Swannie

Edited by Swansong

It is often said that comedy is much more difficult to get right than drama. I feel that Gerard's choices have been very wisely made and that is borne out by the wide range of his appeal and diversity of genres which is apparent when looking through the list of past and known future projects.

That light hearted movies are popular at the moment is quite understandable and I would agree that everyone needs an escape from the current problems that we're all experiencing.

It needs to be borne in mind that the order in which movies will be released will be such that there will be a range for fans to enjoy: a comedy, an action movie, an animated feature, a thriller .... so the diversity continues. "Several" comedies doesn't seem quite the correct term. In any case, no one really knows what the premise for Bounty Hunter will be.

I also feel that it is presumptious of anyone to try to give the impression that they know better than Gerard as to how he ought to manage his career. I see that tendency on various boards and it always causes me to wonder why it is that some feel able to make those judgements.

I look forward to following this thread. Another interesting discussion lies ahead Swannie.

Very well put, Patsyb....

It is a well-known fact, voiced by most all actors in the business, that comedy is far more difficult to pull off than drama...it's all to do with timing...and from what I have seen over the years with Gerry, in the few comedy roles he has done, he's more than qualified to do comedy roles, just as well as he does drama/action roles. Gerry has a natural "wit" about him that none of us can deny or minimize...and from what we have already seen, as well as the trailer for The Ugly Truth, I think he is doing well in the comedy genre and as Patsyb pointed out, it's all in trusting Gerry with his choices...he knows what he wants to do, and who are we to second guess him. He hasn't disappointed us yet, and I doubt that he ever will.

He hasn't done enough comedy roles to date to pigeonhole him into that particular genre...he has been well versified in his roles and I expect that he will continue to be diversified in the roles he chooses. I think we all should be thankful that he's out there making movies for all of us to enjoy, and need to stop trying to decide what he should or shouldn't do, and just enjoy what he does do...after all, it's Gerry on the big screen...that's all we need to be concerned with.

Gerry is going to be working a lot behind the camera as producer as well....this will also give him more control over his career and the type of roles he takes in the future. And I imagine there will always be a variety of roles of all genres out there offered him. Like Patsyb also said, we are in trying times now, and people are welcoming more light, comedic movies right now, they need that more now than ever.

Trust Gerry, he knows what he is doing with his career and his life. He'll make the best decisions there for himself and his career. Things are going really good for him right now, and they are just going to get better.

Cheers...

Tense

Wonderful comments and insight, ladies. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I am anxious to hear what some of the other fans have to say about this.

I do believe this trend toward people wanting lighter fare, impacted Watchmen's BO and other heavy material.

I think Hollywood needs to take notice, but sadly, many fine dramas that have not even been released yet, are bound to suffer with lackluster ticket sales when they finally hit the theaters.

Swannie

I think his comedies show his range. He seems to be able to do action heroes with ease. Rock n' Rolla seemed more like Gerry. The trailers for TUT seem to be him as well. Gerry is quite funny without over doing it. I think that he is quite smart in trying new roles. There doesn't seem to be a limit as to the role he can play. If I had to pick a movie that I thought was ill advised, it would be Shattered. It seemed to be a fiasco from start to finish but as usual, Gerry gave it his all!

With all of everyones comments and thoughts in mind, I am in agreement to a point. My personal feeling on this is that I would love to see Gerard in a comedy that really showed his 'true' humorous side, the side that is silly to a point, his dry and gently satirical side that I interpret whenever I hear him (and with a Scots accent would be nice). I know that films are written mostly in a format to appeal 'across the board' but it is just a private wish of mine I guess. I personally feel that I have not encountered that humour yet, not even in Rocknrolla. Perhaps one day, Gerard will be in a position to make such a comedy. As far as dramas are concerned, well I think most of us would be in agreement when I mention Burns. I am quietly confident that when this film is made (please God), it will be phenomenal. In my opinion, it will really put Gerard on the map and will be released at a time just right for it. He's a very clever man our Gerard and I think he knows that if the 'mechanics' of it all are processed with prescision, all aspects of success for Burns are probably guaranteed.

Edited by jackie62

I do believe Gerry's choices in roles, up to Evil Twins development, have been made by him sort of strategically, in other words not only to show his wide range of acting ability but to avoid being typecast. He will have creative freedom now and his first film is very much a drama, psycho thriller. Not exactly light hearted fare but, perhaps something people can relate to as a sign of the times and our sometimes faultering legal system. Someone might view the picture after just loosing a job but think, "wow, I thought I had it bad! This poor guy lost his entire family, I just lost a job!" And perhaps this character will be viewed as a hero in a sense and we could all use that right now. Depends on how dark the story is.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Soloist, which is out now. This is going to be a movie mostly geared to the plight of how homeless are treated in our society I have heard. We need more movies that reflect social problems.

I loved The DaVinci Code and looking forward to "Angels and Demons". These kinds of mysteries and stories that give you pause for thought I find very entertaining.

Comedies are hard to pull off sometimes, true, and fall in to the realm of just being silly or tasteless (Don't Mess With The Zohan) rather than giving audiences the guffaws they're looking for. I almost got up during that one! Seems a lot of them are geared around an age group that is too young, single and not burdened of the responsibilities that most working class, family audiences might enjoy sadly. That's why I'm looking so forward to TUT and Bounty Hunter.

Hollywood generally seems to base their "target audiences" around those who will spend the most money right now at the box office and we all know that money slips through the hands of the single, 18 to 30 something single male, maybe still living at home, on action flicks and date movies. Also, with the population boom, there's plenty of animations for the families with kids and I enjoy many of these too. I love the voice overs by major stars like in Ice Age. I'll be looking forward to "How To Train Your Dragon".

I think that I would like to see more "epic" or historically/romantic based movies like "Burns". I am so looking forward to that one! With all the recycling of old movies, why no one has redone Wuthering Heights or Gone With The Wind is beyond me! Maybe there is a fear they wouldn't live up to the originals. Solution to that worry would be for Gerry to star as leading male! :hubba:

I'm happy to see Gerry is aggressive about learning the craft of producing now. I am really looking forward to LAC and anything else he does in the future.

I'd like to see him do another "love gone wrong" star crossed, sexy, tragic love story like Phantom some day. (swoooon) Not necessarily where he dies like in PSILY. How about recycling "Valmont?" Gerry would be exceptional in this one!

As far comedies versus dramas, if the comedy is realistic and not based on unrealistic characters like (The Zohan, I really hated this movie :bleh: ) either I think will be good distractions for people to see at the box office or to augment their DVD collections, right up until they run out of money I guess and the last of

:2cents:

D

Edited by GBPhanatic

I’ve always contended that it is impossible to second guess an actors decision on what role they choose unless one knows the whole universe of scripts the actor and his agent have access to. That’s key. Actors like to work, need to work and sometime will take any job they can get after Option A, B, or C is cast with other actors. Thus I don’t think Gerry ever saw the script for Benjamin Button for example or the sort of scripts that are sent to George Clooney or Will Smith.

A lot in Hollywood depends on building relationships with directors and producers. Gerry’s starting a production company was a perfect way to take control of his career, the smart thing to do to take advantage of the momentum from 300.

Gerry first registered with me in PSILY, which was very much a light leading man type of role; it was the first role in which aspects of his real persona really shinned through. So to me romantic comedy seems to be a natural for him. I realize the so called chick flicks don’t get a lot of respect, but they can make a lot of money and comedies in general are doing real well right now. I don’t want GB to be painted into the same corner that Jason Statham or Vin Diesel seems to be finding themselves in, trapped in the action genre. One of the most enduring actors of the golden age was Cary Grant. He was a perfect light leading man. He played those types of roles well into his sixties. But he also did all kinds of other roles too, action adventure & drama. So having the light- comedy card in your deck is a pretty good thing to bring to the table I think, particularly when you have success in other genres as well.

I’ve always contended that it is impossible to second guess an actors decision on what role they choose unless one knows the whole universe of scripts the actor and his agent have access to. That’s key. Actors like to work, need to work. . . I don’t think Gerry ever saw the script for Benjamin Button for example or the sort of scripts that are sent to George Clooney or Will Smith.

A lot in Hollywood depends on building relationships with directors and producers. Gerry’s starting a production company was a perfect way to take control of his career, the smart thing to do to take advantage of the momentum from 300. . . .I don’t want GB to be painted into the same corner that Jason Statham or Vin Diesel seems to be finding themselves in, trapped in the action genre. One of the most enduring actors of the golden age was Cary Grant. He was a perfect light leading man. He played those types of roles well into his sixties. But he also did all kinds of other roles too, action adventure & drama. So having the light- comedy card in your deck is a pretty good thing to bring to the table I think, particularly when you have success in other genres as well.

I couldn't agree more. Some people always seem to think that an actor just walks into Hollywood and says, "This is what I want to play - show me the scripts." It's just not how it works. If someone knows that he turned down "There Will Be Blood" or "No Country for Old Men" to play "Nim's Island" I'll wonder about his choices but I don't think that's what happened. He may have turned down a host of action films to do Nim's and PSILY. And he was smart to do it.

Most actors are immediately typed by fans and by 'the business' to their last successful film. And they have to prove their versatility again and again, that they can do many kinds of roles. RNR was a perfect blending of the action-type hero people know he can do with a bit of comedy many didn't know he could do. (Not everybody saw Nim's or PSILY afterall.) Even well-established actors, successful in dramas, have to beg and prove that they can do comedy or lighter roles effectively (sometimes that's how they started but no one remembers).

There is also the fact that careers are not established overnight. It's a process. It doesn't matter who the hot property is right now. Will they still be doing interesting work ten years from now or will they be replaced by somebody else? I never thought much of Clooney's acting when he started getting recognition but he is somebody who has used his chances to his best ability and improved the quality of films he's been associated with. Clint Eastwood is an older example. Who would have believed that Rowdy Yates would become one of the most commercially and artistically respected actor/directors? It took a lifetime of committed work and imagination. I think Gerry has that kind of long time committment to improving his career.

I have no doubt that once he has a broad resume to prove he can do many things we'll see more serious films now and then. If there's one thing that sets Gerry apart as an actor it is his drive to make himself better, stronger, more skilled at whatever he does. Hollywood will give him what THEY know he can do and Evil Twins will let him tackle what HE knows he can do. I think the next ten years will be fantastic.

Jane

Edited by Jeb

I don't want Gerry to remake any movie from the past but to build his career on roles he "owns", whether they're comedies, action flicks or dramas. If the story touches him, it will touch me, judging from the films he's already made.

Gerry's career won't play out like any other actor's. Why should any of us want it to? He's unique. I remember a time when we used to compliment him for seeming to march to his own drummer. And with all his upcoming roles, I think he's still doing it.

I don't think any of his comedic characters have been based on the "real" Gerry. He's used his charm and goofiness, it's true, but he hasn't been playing himself.

A lot of us saw potential for comedy in his interviews a long time ago and hoped he'd try a romantic comedy sometime. Well, we were right. He appears to have a gift for them, according to rom-com fans. He also has an entirely different demographic laughing at and sighing over him in those films. That's immensely important to an actor's continued success and "place" in Hollywood.

The most risky film he's done lately, in my opinion, is "Law Abiding Citizen". What are his rom-com fans and action fans going to think of him playing a psychopathic killer? If he portrayed that role well, he's going to finally get respectful critical acclaim. Any actor who has the guts to shoot for that at this point in his career has earned my utmost admiration.

There are so many knowledgeable people here that seem to understand the inner workings of the acting business without actually being IN the business themselves! I had no idea how niave I was!

Gerry is smart in selecting a wide range of genre's. I do believe actors have the final say in what role they want. Sure, they want the work but if they keep getting scripts put before them that are all about the same thing, all action, all romantic, then they run that risk of being typecast, no doubt. He's brave to do what he's done. It can't be by accident or luck of the draw that he has played in so many diverse roles.

Something he once said stuck with me about his decision process in the scripts that he is offered and that is that he wants to see some of himself in the character, if he can relate to it, not whether or not it will be a big box office hit. That really takes guts!

I'm not going to presume to suggest what kind of roles that I would personally NOT like to see him take. That's a personal choice for him and not my call. So far, I haven't seen anything that he didn't excell in even if the movie itself was a little lackluster (Dracula) and that's not his fault. All actors have those to look back on either with regret or as a learning experience.

The mention of Cary Grant really makes me think of Gerry in that they are a lot alike really with their diversity to play serious drama, romance and even have a similar comedic timing, not to mention the sex appeal! In that regard, how about Gerry in a remake of "North by Northwest" in the Roger O. Thornhill role? Since Alfred Hitchcock is no longer with us to direct it again, how about Quentin Tarantino and of course produced by Evil Twins. Awesome!

D

I am not going to over-analyze things a whole lot. I think whatever roles he chooses to take are his decision and I enjoy watching his films whether it's action,drama,comedy,whatever. However, I do like him in comedies best because from the interviews that I've watched and read,I personally find him to be really funny, so maybe comedy isn't a huge stretch for him,but personally, I like it. I like a good action movie too but life is serious enough on it's own,sometimes,no actually all the time, it's good to get a laugh. I am not in the least bit suggesting that all he ever does is comedies,because as an actor he does need to challenge himself,someone who doesn't, really isn't a very good actor. And we can see from his body of work thus far that he is capable of playing various types of characters.