Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Swansong

New LAC Pic, worthy of discussion!

I can't wait to see Gerry as a villain. He continues to challenge himself as an actor, which is one of the things I admire most about him. As usual, his eyes convey his character's emotions without a word: cold, no feelings left but bitterness and anger.

ANyone who says he isn't a great actor is just so wrong.

You said it, Sasharose!

Edited by Ainaran

Thank you for posting the picture!!! :pointy::pointy::pointy:

This is really something so different from what we saw so far!!! I am looking forward to seeing it!!! I somehow hope his character will not be really a "genuine" villain, that his anger and desire for vengeance that we see from the picture will be understandable from what had happened to him... Well, let's wait and see. I have really very high expectations as to this film.... :wave::wave::wave:

Great photo but I wouldn't want him to look at me like that :funnyface:

Yes he looks great but I'd say mean and moody rather than sexy. I think he will surprise all those who just see him as another talentless hearthrob.

Moira

I have always said that nobody plays "psychotic" better than Gerry...as evidenced in both "Shooters" and "Fast Food." Although neither of those movies were outstanding, Gerry's performances in both were very outstanding, memorable and amazing....Another reason the scrapping of Therese Raquin was a disappointment, as he would have completely OWNED the role of Laurent, and he would have been outstanding there as well.

I think Gerry is going to surprise everyone in this one...even his fans who know how good he is, they are REALLY going to see what he can do in what is probably, to date, the most difficult role he has had to play. It would be interesting to see where he was in his head during this, but Gerry has always been able to dig way down deep inside of himself to channel emotions and even "attitudes" to bring the character he is playing to a level of realism that not many actors are capable of doing.

This picture is really indescribable, as there is so much going on there, just in his eyes alone, not to mention the position of his mouth. It's no wonder he had to listen to Mogwai in order to get into that kind of frame of mind for his character of Clyde Shelton. Oscar nom's anyone? It's highly possible. Don't discount it for him. This is the kind of role and acting that the Academy looks for. Jamie WHO??? Gerry will be the one that people will come away from the theaters remembering and talking about...He's going to OWN this movie, totally....And we have to wait a whole year to see it...it's going to be a long year.....

Tense

What makes his expression even more chilling for me is looking in to the face of someone I've grown to love and admire! Our emotions for him in this movie are going to be beyond what the normal audience will be feeling I'm sure!

As far as we know, Gerry may be the "good" guy, maybe the hero, and the system is the "bad" guys. Perhaps he won't die and go on to strike vengence for other's who have been wronged. Maybe this would be like a series of movies like Bourne or Death Wish and he'll continue to champion the cause, right the wrongs, etc. That would be awesome! Maybe that's what he's doing in India! Yeah, he plotting out his next location for LAC 2! OK, I'm getting ahead of myself. Sorry!

D

Edited by GBPhanatic

OMG....someone stole my fantasy and put it on screen!!!!!!

Gerry in shackles...dog collar and all....all that's missing is the whip! :cunning: :cunning:

Just kidding you naughty girls.

OMG....someone stole my fantasy and put it on screen!!!!!!

Gerry in shackles...dog collar and all....all that's missing is the whip! :cunning: :cunning:

Just kidding you naughty girls.

Oh, :behave:

D

Sexy to me in this picture means dark, introspective, brooding - a man who feels he has lost everything and has to protect himself. I think if we didn't know as much as we do about the character we would see it as a scary ominous picture. But because we are aware of what brought the character to that point we can find the empathy and understanding for him.

Let's face it - if Gerry played Hannibal Lecter we would find him sexy. :lol: It's just something he can't get away from, as much as he would probably like to for certain roles. I'm not sure many of us can watch any Gerry movie and see only the character. I'm not sure I can. I would guess he wouldn't like to know that, but it would be like my son being in a role (which he does in plays). It's hard for me to separate the person vs. the character when I care so much about the person. I do try when I see a Gerry movie for the first time - I try to watch it for the movie and put my feelings aside. I'm hoping LAC will be one of those movies where I can do that and see Clyde and not Gerry.

I hope some of this made sense.

Sorry, I didn't see this thread! I started up a "scarey Gerry" thread over under LAC. My thought was, "Hello, Clarice!"

D

I don't see that at all ... I see nothing malevolent. I see anger, sadness and intensity. Not scary at all ...

Then again, you're probably joking, arent' you, D?

:lol:

I jest not, my sweet! No one gets an iron collar attached to a chain for anything less than .......

ma·lev·o·lent [mə lévvələnt]

adj

1. wanting to cause harm: having or showing a desire to harm others

2. harmful or evil: having a harmful or evil effect or influence

Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

D :wave:

Sorry, I didn't see this thread! I started up a "scarey Gerry" thread over under LAC. My thought was, "Hello, Clarice!"

D

I don't see that at all ... I see nothing malevolent. I see anger, sadness and intensity. Not scary at all ...

I jest not, my sweet! No one gets an iron collar attached to a chain for anything less than .......

adj

Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2004 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

I know what the word means - I used it. :lol:

I still don't see someone who wants to kill ... I see someone who is miserable inside. I don't see anything menacing. Maybe it's cause he's not looking at the camera, but I really see more of a man like I described in my post before this. The torment is all inside.

D

adj

I know what the word means - I used it. :lol:

I still don't see someone who wants to kill ... I see someone who is miserable inside. I don't see anything menacing. Maybe it's cause he's not looking at the camera, but I really see more of a man like I described in my post before this. The torment is all inside.

Do you think all he needs is a big hug?

I might be inclined to go along with you if it weren't for the IRON COLLAR! I see a man who's snapped! Sure he's miserable inside and tormented but I do believe he looks like he will kill and isn't that the look he's going for?

You know, on second thought Lisa, you're right! If you sit there and look at the pic long enough and just stare in to his eyes, blimey if you don't pick up a little glint in there! Could be a laugh starting to errupt or his beautiful hands about to clutch around your neck in a death grip any moment! You choose! :funnyup:

D

The more I've looked at this photo of GB from LAC, I have come to see sadness in his eyes. I guess we'll all have to wait until the movie comes out to find out exactly what is going on, but I think this is a multi-layered character.

The picture conveys (to me) the look of a man who knows his soul is dead and beyond hope of resurrection.

I've said this before - Gerry seems to actually become the characters he plays - the mark of an incredible actor. This movie is gonna get 5-stars.

There is a tremendous amount of emotion in that look. There's sadness, agnst, frustration, unimaginable anger, bordering madness, equals psychopathic killer. He knows nothing now but avenging his family by getting revenge on a flawed legal system which probably not only didn't protect his family, but then rewarded the criminals. He was once someone who played by the rules, abided by the laws, was a Law Abiding Citizen, but has lost his faith, he doesn't care anymore, he's turning his anger in to getting even now, he's developed his own type of "justice". He's turned from hot to cold calculation. It's all in there. Bravo, Gerry! Do I see your "award" coming this time? :yourock::clap::cheer2:

D

Great picture...thanks for posting it! :)

At first I was upset that Gerry's role was changed from the attorney (good guy) to the criminal (bad guy) but in seeing this picture, it is obvious that Gerry has the better role. One where he can stretch his acting talent and go to places he hasn't gone before. Most actors will tell you they prefer to play the bad guy because it is fun to be bad and suffer no consequences. I cannot wait to see how far and how dark Gerry takes this role. :unsure:

If this movie is a cross between Seven and Silence of the Lambs, it ought to be quite creepy and violent. :scared:

Sadly, I am betting Gerry dies again. Oh well, I'm used to it. :confused:

There are not very many actors out there who can convey what they mean just by a look. Kevin Spacey is one of the best especially in American Beauty. I've got high hopes Gerry will exceed my expectations of him in LAC.

As for Oscar nominations if the studio powers that be deem this to be Oscar worthy in any category they will be wise to bring forward its release or delay it til later on in 2010. Any film to be considered for Oscar has to have played in one cinema by 31 December hence why so many films start the rounds at places like TIFF but dont have release dates til months later. Very few films that come out in the first part of the year just after Oscar time are remembered come next Oscar time and if they keep the current release date of end of March unless it is an outstanding film that people keep talking about it will get lost and that will be such a shame if it is indeed that good.

Moira

Check out Elisabeth Rappe's column at Cinematical:

Your Friday Fantasy -- Gerard Butler Chained Down in 'Law Abiding Citizen'

Any comments may be added to the thread about this topic:

New LAC Pic, worthy of discussion!

Any comments that had been added here, will be moved and merged there.

:ty:

My, my! I suppose it wouldn't do to just shackle his neck. Let's imagine the hands as well and perhaps I could have my way with him!

:hubba:

Thanks for the link and the mental vision!

D

Violent and aggresive prisoners are still shackled, particularly when brought into court, moved from one cell to another, or after confrontations.

The chain runs from the collar to handcuffs which are further secured to a chain around the waist and then a chain down to individual ankle shackles which impede movement causing the 'convict shuffle'. You see them sometimes on Court TV (Tru TV now).

Anyway, the shackle indicates he's been a bad, bad boy and they are scared he's planning to be bad again.

Jane

I see a forlorn and vulnerable look...and very intense. I didn't know they used neck shackles anymore...to me they're only fit for an animal. And I don't think of Gerry as an animal. This is a neo-noir film, very dark. I believe this movie took a toll on Gerry with its intensity. I've never seen Gerry the man in his films...I always see the character...that's how good he is.

I have a feeling I'll be sympathetic to Clyde in this movie and especially if he dies in the end as he is surely going to. I can't imagine it ending any other way. I can't wait for LAC!

BTW, Crash won the Oscar and it came out in the spring.

:yay::wuv:

Delene ... are you having fun at my expense, you cheeky monkey you? :wedgie:

Like I said, it's cause I know the backstory that I just don't see a cold-blooded killer. And it seems that I'm not the only one (based on other people's posts). I also think I'll sympathize with Clyde, and not because it's Gerry but because I'm someone who has been so hurt and devestated (not to that extent, thank goodness) and can understand wanting revenge and someone to hurt. I would never kill anyone, but no one has killed my sons.

I sure wish one of these days we could all be together and have one of these discussions face-to-face and in real time. That would be fantastic, wouldn't it?

March 2010 can't come fast enough. I know we have two (there if you count Dragon) movies before LAC, but I really am anticipating this one. And I think I can see the character over the actor in this one.

Hmmm, maybe I need a weekend of watching Gerry movies to see the characters only (actually I do in 300). :pointy:

Nicely said Lisa! I think this movie will REALLY put Gerry on the map.

Delene,

You are a naughty naughty girl!!! Perhaps you need a spanking LOL

I didn't know they used neck shackles anymore...to me they're only fit for an animal.

I agree but when you see individuals who either can't or won't control themselves, who attempt to murder lawyers in a courtroom or other prisoners who get in reach, you can understand why they are used on occasion.

I will be happy if it is a solid, well-received film with positive critical and public support. Lots of fine films don't get awards. It doesn't make them any less worthy than the very few that do. I am very happy that the first film for his production team seems to be coming together so well. And if it does well, it will mean many more to come.

This is such an exciting time for him and for us. I wish him the very best.

J

I'm in love with this picture. This will definitely be one of the most interesting roles he's ever played.

Edited by Novelistgirl

I've been so wrapped up in looking at GB's eyes in this photo, I didn't until just now realize that his hair is natural!! Just gorgeous Gerry with the gray showing through. Thank you, powers that be in movieland.

I love Lisa's idea of everyone being able to discuss this movie together in real time at some point. Best would be seeing it at the same time and then talking about it in detail.

While I'm looking forward to TUT and Game, this is the one that has me really excited. But, we've got a lot of living to do until March 2010!