Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
becozy

5/5 - Spartan Efficiency

One of the many things I love about Gerry is that he is so accomplished but so humble about it! This is just an example right here.

There are so many things I would love to know about Gerry, his past before he was an actor, etc. I even would like to know about the little things that make him happy, like his favorite thing to do when he relaxes. I know there is more to him then socializing. What's his favorite food or snack and what he likes to read. Maybe these are all things that have been discussed before I came here so forgive my ignorance on the matter.

I would love nothing better then to sit down with him and listen to him just talk about anything and everything, his past, his present, his dreams! I could listen to him for hours (especially with that accent of his)! I'm sure I'm not alone in that desire.

He is a wonderful actor, but he is so much more. I hope he writes and even does some directing. I think Gerry could take on just about anything his heart desired and do it well!

D

Just adding to this conversation regarding Gerry's abilities as a writer. I am posting this link which shows that Gerry was awarded the DLitt (Doctor of Letters) from Glasgow University in 1992. (scroll down the list of 'Arts and Media')

http://www.gla.ac.uk/services/alumni/lifeafterglasgow/

This link gives some info on the DLitt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Letters

These are the original links posted by Robyn, Marg.

J

If I'm not mistaken, an "Honorary" status here in the states his one given to a person, albeit a celeb or not, that completes a work of publication or outstanding achievement in their field of arts (acting, etc.), science, literature or whatever for any university whether they attended it or not. My uncle was a published author and never attended university but he wrote "papers" for a lot of universities and Duke gave him an honorary status there. His dissertation was on the use of laser light. He was scary smart but he had a couple of books of poetry published during his lifetime.

The DLit, from what I understand is as good or better than a PhD and it's for the same thing, a published dissertation. It is an honorary degree and if it is a DLit it was in literature. If it had been in law it would have been an "LLD". Could it have been a short story or poetry perhaps or a screen play? It also could have been for a "body of work" done as well. I take it that might not have necessarily been a written dissertation or thesis. It would be an interesting question to ask him sometime.

I just like the sound of "Dr. Butler"!

D

Here is a link which explains what a DLitt is in the UK where Gerry achieved his. It is the highest of academic achievements and is a higher doctorate than the PhD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Letters

Gerry is in good company when you look at some of the others who have received this award.

He could even teach with it. Professor Butler. I would be willing to go back to school to get another degree if he could be my professor.

:funnyup:

Our little bad boy is so complex and always surprising us! He makes me so proud!

D

I think that the university's website lists all the "famous" people that got their degrees from this school and their designations are listed after their names.

So he got his DLitt in 92 and his actual law degree in 93.

I can't get over this. I was raised that education was everything and the most important thing you can obtain for yourself that no one can ever take away from you. The fact that Gerry is so educated and intelligent makes him that much more attractive to me (as if he needed any help).

OK so I looked at the Wikipedia link ... check it out:

The degree D.Litt. is awarded to candidates whose record of published work and research shows conspicuous ability and originality and constitutes a distinguished and sustained achievement. University committee and board approval is required, and candidates must provide documented mastery of a particular area or field.

I'm sorry I'm gushing so much. I know he's an amazing actor and that's where his focus is right now (and producing), but this really means something to me. He's brilliant. There is so much more to him than he ever lets on. Makes me wonder what really goes on behind those beautiful eyes.

Delene, I, too, would love to sit down and have a great conversation with him; find out who he really is; what makes him tick; what he dreams about; what he thinks about. I would love to hear his ideas, his opinions, etc.

I could go on and on ... I won't.

To me it's curious that he received the DLitt a year before he graduated.

:unsure:

According to the definition I posted, I don't think being a graduate is a pre-req like it would be here to earn a doctorate or PhD. Looks more like this is a letter and title awarded based on writing.

GB is certainly a complex and unique human being.

Knowing how bright her son is, I can only imagine his mother's panic and disappointment when he threw away his law career. Of course, he redeemed himself totally, but at the time his family had no way of knowing what was to come. Telling them he wanted to be an actor must have had them ready for an intervention.

It would be fascinating to know what makes this gorgeous man tick!!!!

Years from now, I'm sure someone will write a bestselling biography of Dr. B. I hope it's truthful. (Not a Kitty Kelly work.)

I agree Lisa ;) And no worries about gushing, we all do it :wuv:

Delene- I agree with what you've said as well. I couldn't be prouder :)

It kind of makes sense in a way. His father was sort of a man who always went his own way and always had some scheme or something going which eventually drove his parents apart. Maybe Gerry had that same restless spirit that his father had but I'll bet that his dad urged him to NOT do what he did and make something of himself, go in to law or something and he did it for him but it wasn't what he really wanted to do maybe but more what every body else wanted him to do.

I think his dad died when he was about 22 and I think Gerry had started living with him at around sixteen or so I had read. These accomplishments were right around the time his dad passed away and he was trying to prove to him and to his mom that he was going to be responsible and successful. Then, as time went by and he grew more dissatisfied, it fell apart and he ended up going his own way and it paid off for him. His dad might have been one of those, "do as I say, not as I do" kind of parents. Just a thought.

D

Edited by GBPhanatic

It kind of makes sense in a way. His father was sort of a man who always went his own way and always had some scheme or something going which eventually drove his parents apart. Maybe Gerry had that same restless spirit that his father had but I'll bet that his dad urged him to NOT do what he did and make something of himself, go in to law or something and he did it for him but it wasn't what he really wanted to do maybe but more what every body else wanted him to do.

I think his dad died when he was about 22 and I think Gerry had started living with him at around sixteen or so I had read. These accomplishments were right around the time his dad passed away and he was trying to prove to him and to his mom that he was going to be responsible and successful. Then, as time went by and he grew more dissatisfied, it fell apart and he ended up going his own way and it paid off for him. His dad might have been one of those, "do as I say, not as I do" kind of parents. Just a thought.

D

That's a very interesting analysis. I've always thought from the stories he told, that he is very similar to his dad.

He always talks about him meeting up with his dad, when he reappeared in his life. He never talks about how his brother and sister reacted. I'm sorry if I'm talking about personal stuff. Just ignore me if I am.

According to the definition I posted, I don't think being a graduate is a pre-req like it would be here to earn a doctorate or PhD. Looks more like this is a letter and title awarded based on writing.

I think so too. I did some research on the university website and it seems like you can do it while you are doing you graduate studies.

He is one smart cookie. I wish I could have a little piece. :bonk:

D

That's a very interesting analysis. I've always thought from the stories he told, that he is very similar to his dad.

He always talks about him meeting up with his dad, when he reappeared in his life. He never talks about how his brother and sister reacted. I'm sorry if I'm talking about personal stuff. Just ignore me if I am.

We all just like to know what makes Gerard Butler tick, that's all. When I think of Gerry sometimes, I'm reminded of the Rolling Stones, "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" (listen to the lyrics sometime).

Gerry seems to always be on a quest. I might be wrong but aren't we all sometimes. The difference is that he does something about it, he takes gigantic risks and some of us just stay dissatisfied and stagnant. That's why so many have expressed the revival of their spirit and rejuvenation of their soul after "knowing" Gerry. He reignites passions and works like a muse for our creativity. Then we seek to analyse why he has that affect on us. We understand the "hotness" factor. That's obvious! It's natural, really, that we would.

Now, I'll shut up.

D :wave:

Edited by GBPhanatic

:funnyup:Figures, Delene, that you pick the one verse in the song about a girl who can't have sex because she's on her period. :lmao:

Delene,

you said it girlfriend! I love how you can express my feelings perfectly.

I feel all this just unable to express it due to my lack of linguistic ability.

I thank you for that. :bow: :bow:

Delene,

you said it girlfriend! I love how you can express my feelings perfectly.

I feel all this just unable to express it due to my lack of linguistic ability.

I thank you for that. :bow: :bow:

Thanks, Andrea, but really there is really nothing wrong with you. Gerry has that affect. You are just at that :humina: phase. This too shall pass!

D

I have no idea what phase I'm in right now but it ain't looking too good. :wall:

Edited by andrea71

D

You know Egypt I went to bed last night thinking pretty much the same thing. His loss of his father after reconnecting I'm sure devastated him.Studying and achieving so much in spite of the circumstances is a testament to the dynamic person that he is...I really can't express how so very proud of him I am Edited by dairyqueen

I can't talk about his reasons for leaving law and going into acting because,I don't know him. But I believe that we are all meant to do something and if we aren't doing it,we aren't going to be as happy as we could be. And even as brilliant at he was at it. And I have to say,I respected him as an artist because of his acting work but I have even more respect for him now,after reading what I have read the last several pages. But if law isn't what he was meant to do,he wouldn't have been as happy in that life. And sometimes you have to choose whether to be logical or be happy.Or have to choose NOT to do the "practical" thing. You have to follow dreams.

Now... I always thought he seemed like a smart cookie,now I know he is! And I really believed he was when I watched Wrath of the Gods,he is really,really deep. He seems like the sort of person that if you asked him what he's thinking...he'd be thinking about alot more than where to go to lunch. For me, intelligence next to looks(cause yes you have to also be physically attracted to a person),intelligence in a guy is very,very attractive.Because I've met some really hot guys before that were dummer than a box of rocks and would be like "oooo he's hot,uh...never mind" And what makes this even better is that he's humble about it.

I don't really know what else to say. That is just really cool.

He seems like the sort of person that if you asked him what he's thinking...he'd be thinking about alot more than where to go to lunch.

That's a good point and because his mind is on deeper matters that perhaps he doesn't want to "go there" he jokes around instead. He seems like the kind of guy that if he seemed deep in thought and you asked him, he'd say something like, "thinking about what to have for lunch" even though it's the furthest thing from his mind!

D

He seems like the sort of person that if you asked him what he's thinking...he'd be thinking about alot more than where to go to lunch.

That's a good point and because his mind is on deeper matters that perhaps he doesn't want to "go there" he jokes around instead. He seems like the kind of guy that if he seemed deep in thought and you asked him, he'd say something like, "thinking about what to have for lunch" even though it's the furthest thing from his mind!

D

Yeah,maybe,or it could be a thing of just saying the "deep" things to people he knows will get what he is saying? Just speculating :)

D

Yeah,maybe,or it could be a thing of just saying the "deep" things to people he knows will get what he is saying? Just speculating :)

Or, he doesn't even like the kind of people who'd ask him what he's thinking or even what he's having for lunch. :funnyup:

D