Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
becozy

5/10 - Aniston to play ex on the run

Romantically" linked together? Gerry and Jennifer? What's up with that? If it's going to be identical to Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Well, at leas Gerry is not married. I won't be disappointed if the two ended up together, but I heard Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston are sort of dating again.

This is false, denied by Gerry in India. That item is a perfect example of what the celebrity media does: link together several names- GB, JA and BP to drive hits to their web site, the item does not have to be true and most items like these are not. Everything that comes out of these types of sites should be greeted with skepticism.

I think all actors should just do what they want, what makes them happy. And if their fans don't like it - tough.

Aren't we the one's they have to ultimately please? We go see the movies and buy the DVD's afterall. Of course, we are all biased when it comes to Gerry. We'd go see ANYTHING he is in. But if most actors have chosen a part that's not suited to their persona then it could be a box office disaster. I think that's one of the reasons Gerry picks roles where he sees some of himself or he identifies with the character. So far, he has not dissapointed in that regard. I would have not seen RNR if Gerry had not been in it, but I loved Gerry's character!

D

Which we? "Fans" who comprise a relatively small part of the film audience? Or the larger audience who will see a film just because it's good - not necessarily who's in it? And how do you know it doesn't "fit" until you see it? Ever read the blogs about Johnnie Depp before Pirates? The consensus was that it would be a disaster. Or the fan rumbles before "300"? Or before "Phantom", for that matter? Lots of people were convinced they'd be the worst possible choices for the respective actors. The woods are full of films that "fans" thought would be terrible that weren't, and films they thought would be great that weren't.

Actors have to follow their own instincts or their careers wind up in a dead end. Bronson and Eastwood were comparable "action" heroes back in the day. Bronson (who I liked) chose not to go far from his genre, he chose to 'please' his fans. Eastwood chose to follow his own ambitions and interests. Who do you know now? Who's at the top and who's a "Do you remember?" guy? "Fans" are sometimes the worst people to listen to. They only know what they 'liked' - in the past - not what they might like in the future.

Nope. Actors should do what they want. If they film it, and it's good, fans, and more importantly audiences, will come.

Which we? "Fans" who comprise a relatively small part of the film audience? Or the larger audience who will see a film just because it's good - not necessarily who's in it? And how do you know it doesn't "fit" until you see it? Ever read the blogs about Johnnie Depp before Pirates? The consensus was that it would be a disaster. Or the fan rumbles before "300"? Or before "Phantom", for that matter? Lots of people were convinced they'd be the worst possible choices for the respective actors. The woods are full of films that "fans" thought would be terrible that weren't, and films they thought would be great that weren't.

Actors have to follow their own instincts or their careers wind up in a dead end. Bronson and Eastwood were comparable "action" heroes back in the day. Bronson (who I liked) chose not to go far from his genre, he chose to 'please' his fans. Eastwood chose to follow his own ambitions and interests. Who do you know now? Who's at the top and who's a "Do you remember?" guy? "Fans" are sometimes the worst people to listen to. They only know what they 'liked' - in the past - not what they might like in the future.

Nope. Actors should do what they want. If they film it, and it's good, fans, and more importantly audiences, will come.

My reference was to the movie going public, not just the "fans" in fan clubs, etc. "Fans" is a term used many times to describe the audience. I haven't been a "fan" of any certain celebrity before this but I do go see movies of other actors that I would consider myself a "fan" of too even though I'm not as "fanatical" about them as I am with Gerry.

I don't think Bronson and Eastwood were ever comparable. As you said, Bronson "chose" to not go far from his "genre". You said it yourself, he thus did what HE wanted to. His choice didn't get him as far as Eastwood because I am sure Eastwood stepped out beyond films that he "preferred" and did what he knew the public/fans would enjoy. Also, it didn't hurt that Eastwood was a heartthrob just like Gerry.

D

Clint Eastwood was nothing like Gerry. :lmao: I knew the man ... NOTHING - professionally or personally. I only see Eastwood as a one-trick pony, and I never knew anyone who thought he was sexy or anything like what we say about Gerry. Completely different leagues.

I think the actor and career to compare Gerry to would be Paul Newman. He never chose roles based on his fan base. Newman did movies based on what he wanted to do; what would give the best performance. I don't know if he chose roles that challenged him like Gerry does, but I see the different roles they chose to be similar.

My opinion only ....

Edited by phoenixgirl

Clint Eastwood was nothing like Gerry. :lmao: I knew the man ... NOTHING - professionally or personally. I only see Eastwood as a one-trick pony, and I never knew anyone who thought he was sexy or anything like what we say about Gerry. Completely different leagues.

I think the actor and career to compare Gerry to would be Paul Newman. He never chose roles based on his fan base. Newman did movies based on what he wanted to do; what would give the best performance. I don't know if he chose roles that challenged him like Gerry does, but I see the different roles they chose to be similar.

My opinion only ....

I never said Eastwood and Gerry were alike! I said they are both considered heartthrobs. I don't compare Paul Newman to Gerry because I don't see Newman as the "rugged" actor like Gerry. In that regard, Eastwood would actually be more comparable to Gerry, the more you think about it. Clint has done many different genre's not just the action movies. Remember "Bridges of Madison County?"

I could even see Gerry reprising "Dirty Harry". They could just rename it "Dirty Gerry"! :funnyup::funnyface:

D

Edited by GBPhanatic

I only see Eastwood as a one-trick pony, and I never knew anyone who thought he was sexy or anything like what we say about Gerry. Completely different leagues.

That's a joke, right? In his day, he was considered "it" by a LOT of women. He is a popularly and critically acclaimed actor/director. Gerry should be so lucky as to have a career like his.

Besides which, I was not comparing Gerry to Eastwood on a personal level but on a professional one.

And yes, Bronson and Eastwood shared top box office honors at their peak and Bronson himself has been quoted as saying he perhaps too often chose roles based on what he thought fans would like but they were 'safe' and paid well at the time. Many of Eastwood's personal projects were nothing like his "action" roles that fans loved. And certainly his directorial choices were pieces that interested HIM and because he could commit his passion to those projects some of them won Oscars, some of them became cult favorites, and some never found an audience. But he prospered as an artist.

I don't see the reason for an argument on this. Many actors have been stars prior to Gerry, revered and admired. Artists who follow their instincts tend to do better over the long haul than those who conform to what they think their fans will tolerate. Even in the narrow world of Gerrydom, different people prefer different kinds of films, different kinds of characters. Not everybody will see "anything", or like everything, but the more an actor tries different things the better off he or she is.

Gerry has said he wants to do it all - all the kinds of characters there are. I support him in that. Do it all. Don't be Phantom or Leo or Gerry K or anybody else all the time even though I loved all of those characters. Be whatever you want to be and audiences will catch up.

Why're people gettin' riled at that?

Jane

Just curious - what is Clint Eastwood's one trick? Directing movies like Million Dollar Baby and Mystic River? Acting in movies that span decades and entertain generations? That would be two very difficult tricks to accomplish or do I not understand what one trick means?

:hmm:

Who's riled? I'm not riled! Wait....what were we talking about?

D

Who's riled? I'm not riled! Wait....what were we talking about?

D

We're totally not riled ... this is just a conversation/discussion.

I guess because I personally don't like Clint Eastwood I said all that. I never found him attractive, and neither did any women I knew; and he only made two types (okay a two trick pony) of movies: westerns and action (the movies with the orangutan don't count). Plus, he's an arse in real life.

Okay, my apologies as it seems my personal opinion insulted some Eastwood fans. I'm sure if Gerry compared himself to Eastwood there's a good reason for it ... I don't see it, but whatever. I don't have to agree with everything Gerry thinks or says.

I'm not riled up or upset. I just really dislike Clint Eastwood as a human being and an actor. I'm allowed that.

We're completely off-topic anyway ...

Lisa

Wow never thought that someone called a living legend, an actor who has done comedy (yes they count), drama, action, independent etc... and has directed also a wide range and produces, can be considered as limited as its been implied. Even now at almost 80 Clint was phenomenal in Gran Torino. Sexy and attractive is a matter of opinion that i can totally understand. to each his own in that capacity. As much as i dont get it, some dont think Gerry is either (crazy talk I know lol) But asfar as Im concerned his record speaks for itself. (both G and C actually)

That being said and IMHO being compared to Clint is something Gerry should be extremely flattered by, considering CE's vast and enduring career. And I am also one to believe that if an actor only chooses roles of potential blockbusters or only crowd pleasers then they are doomed to mediocrity. And just as there are many genres of films there are fans of each and those that revile each. You can't please everyone, cant control what others will like or dislike or how they will react, BUT each of us CAN control what we do and how we react. So it makes perfect sense to me that actors should choose projects that please THEM. Sometimes they make good choices, sometimes not so good. Not everything can be or will be seen by everyone. So might as well please themselves.

JE has potential I believe, but I will reserve my opinion on her in this part until after seeing it.

Edited by MareksLadyD

Wow never thought that someone called a living legend, an actor who has done comedy (yes they count), drama, action, independent etc... and has directed also a wide range and produces, can be considered as limited as its been implied. Even now at almost 80 Clint was phenomenal in Gran Torino. Sexy and attractive is a matter of opinion that i can totally understand. to each his own in that capacity. As much as i dont get it, some dont think Gerry is either (crazy talk I know lol) But asfar as Im concerned his record speaks for itself. (both G and C actually)

That being said and IMHO being compared to Clint is something Gerry should be extremely flattered by, considering CE's vast and enduring career. And I am also one to believe that if an actor only chooses roles of potential blockbusters or only crowd pleasers then they are doomed to mediocrity. And just as there are many genres of films there are fans of each and those that revile each. You can't please everyone, cant control what others will like or dislike or how they will react, BUT each of us CAN control what we do and how we react. So it makes perfect sense to me that actors should choose projects that please THEM. Sometimes they make good choices, sometimes not so good. Not everything can be or will be seen by everyone. So might as well please themselves.

JE has potential I believe, but I will reserve my opinion on her in this part until after seeing it.

That's the beautiful thing about living in a free world and being on this site. People don't have to agree - even though someone might be considered something by the majority doesn't mean every single living person on the earth has to feel the same way. I can't stand his movies; I can't stand looking at him, and I just don't understand where people think he has versatility. But like I said, we're each allowed our own opinions so just cause I don't see it doesn't mean you shouldn't. (Just as an FYI, I was the secretary to his personal civil attorney in Los Angeles over 15 years ago - the man's actions and behavior left a bitter taste in my mouth then and it will never go away). When I saw the trailer for Grand Torino, yes, the story looked good but all I saw was the Man with No Name on that porch - same voice, same demeanor. Maybe if i saw the movie I would have seen something different, but alas, I just couldn't bring myself to pay for it.

I used to love him. I used to be a huge CE fan; I loved the spaghetti westerns. High Plains Drifter is a fabulous movie - no doubt. One of the best. It's the man I don't like, and that taints everything I've see him in since Pink Cadillac (that's when I worked with him).

I totally agree with one point that has been made over and again - that actors should choose roles that satisfy their own desire to make a good film or that speak to them. They shouldn't take the fans into consideration; that's what a sell-out does. Look at Matthew Mc .... he only does rom coms now, and probably because they're very popular. But I LOVE that Gerry chooses roles based on personal challenge or something that speaks to him or evokes emotion in him. That's what it SHOULD be about. That's how you get the best and most versatile performances. Not from playing the same person over and over.

You know, the loss of topic on this thread is my fault, and I apologize to the Mods and Admins. It just seems like everyone is down on me for not liking a particular Hollywood Icon and my point is that I'm entitled to not like him. I think this is a very good conversation about actors and choices, versatility, fans, etc., but doesn't belong in this thread.

I apologize for hijacking the thread.

Lisa

Edited by phoenixgirl

I wasnt trying to change anyone's mind, only state my own view.

I forgot, when does this start filming again? June?

Edited by MareksLadyD

Don't feel bad, Lisa! It doesn't hurt to have some "spirited" discussion, if it doesn't get personal. In fact, I think we just ran out of things to talk about as far as JA is concerned. I'd rather talk about Clint Eastwood!

M. McConohooo does romcoms because he's probably offered those roles more than action, although I think he was stellar in ROF! When he said, "personally, you all disgust me" I really believed he was disgusted :rotflmao: However, he doesn't have the wide range of emotional intensity that Gerry has.

Personal sidenote here, M. McConohoo (and Tom Cruise) were a close neck and neck until Gerry bumped them :bump::whome2:

I always thought Matt was sexier and Cruise was the better actor and then along came Gerry.

As regards CE being compared to Gerry, I hope Gerry follows Clint's career path and continues acting for a long time. Clint produced, directed, wrote, etc., and Gerry seems to be very much like him, although again, Gerry's emotional intensity has a wider range. Gerry has a gift and I hope he knows it and doesn't stop acting.

Now I've really hijacked the thread! Sorry!

So, JA and Gerry in a movie together! Sounds smashing!

D

As regards CE being compared to Gerry, I hope Gerry follows Clint's career path and continues acting for a long time. Clint produced, directed, wrote, etc., and Gerry seems to be very much like him, although again, Gerry's emotional intensity has a wider range. Gerry has a gift and I hope he knows it and doesn't stop acting.

That's the point I was aiming at. I remember CE as Rowdy Yates - and wasn't that impressed. But look at where he is now professionally. Goes to show - never write anybody off. :D

But it took decades and not everything worked and some things worked critically but not popularly and vice versa. I pray Gerry has that kind of run. From 'one of several' to a living legend that the people and the critics embrace.

Yes, I'll see anything Gerry does (and probably defend it no matter how it turns out) but his entry into producing is just so exciting. The chance to do projects he believes in and can shape rather than fitting into someone elses 'vision' - that's how you stay alive in 'the business' over the long haul.

And JA, one of the current "it" girls, whose films will get publicity and attention to the max, well, it can't be bad for Gerry. And they might just hit gold, you can't tell until they at least get it made. :p

So much to look forward to!

Jane

Wow, this thread is going all over the place, so I'll make a few disconnected comments.

I don't know why some people out in Web land seem to hate Jennifer Aniston. I rather like her and I think Bounty Hunter should be interesting. I see it's now listed some places as an action/thriller which is good IMO.

The only Clint Eastwood movie I really liked was Play Misty for Me.

I'm glad GB is acting in a variety of movies and not just romcoms like Matthew McConaughey. I used to like him, but he's turned into the king of really awful romantic comedies. I haven't paid to see any of them, but the ones that show up on HBO etc. are terrible IMO, and McConaughey plays the exact same person in each.

I really think (hope) GB's time has come. I've read a lot of blogs by the public about his upcoming movies and the majority are very positive. One even noted that GB is becoming Hollywood gold! A writer in a column accompanying the Gamer trailer said 'everyone loves Gerard Butler right now.' YES. YES. YES.

I don't hate JA. I'm not sure what to say about her. She really doesn't do anything for me and I think her popularity is based on her position in the gossip rags rather than her acting abilities. She acts the same in everything. It started with the demise of her marriage to Brad Pitt and hasn't stopped. She just hasn't done anything special enough for me to think she deserves all the hype she gets. I neither dislike her or like her. :confused: Perhaps this new movie will show another side of Jen.

I think it's wise on Gerry's part to do movies with as many A listers as possible. I would put him up there in that ranking but it doesn't seem like he gets the recognition he deserves even yet. I wish the media would get off the kick they are on with Gerry linking him romantically with every woman he comes within two feet of. We all know he's hot and sexy but he's more than a pretty face ya know!

D

Wow, this thread is going all over the place, so I'll make a few disconnected comments.

I don't know why some people out in Web land seem to hate Jennifer Aniston. I rather like her and I think Bounty Hunter should be interesting. I see it's now listed some places as an action/thriller which is good IMO.

The only Clint Eastwood movie I really liked was Play Misty for Me.

I'm glad GB is acting in a variety of movies and not just romcoms like Matthew McConaughey. I used to like him, but he's turned into the king of really awful romantic comedies. I haven't paid to see any of them, but the ones that show up on HBO etc. are terrible IMO, and McConaughey plays the exact same person in each.

I really think (hope) GB's time has come. I've read a lot of blogs by the public about his upcoming movies and the majority are very positive. One even noted that GB is becoming Hollywood gold! A writer in a column accompanying the Gamer trailer said 'everyone loves Gerard Butler right now.' YES. YES. YES.

I agree. I also have read on a "younger generation" website about Gamer and it was very positive.

This is going to be a great movie for younger people as well. My almost 16-year old son is excited to see this-it melts my heart. :wuv:

I feel the same about McCon; he is so boring now. I saw him on Leno and could not even watch.

It is time that the world discovers Gerry. He is one of a kind actor and everyone needs to realize that now. :D

YAWN! *sigh* I'm still waiting to feel the excitement of a new Gerry project. I haven't felt it in quite some time. *sigh* I'm not giving up. ;)

Cassie

I personally am thrilled to see this! Has anyone ever seen the movie Derailed with Clive Owen and Jennifer Anniston in it? IMO it was an outstanding movie especially because of the twists and turns it took. JA nailed the part that she was given and I think she could lend a very large hand to the scottish hunk we all know and adore. I wish him continued success in whatever he endeavors.

I agree with you and Jeb wholeheartedly I just want Gerry now. I can't wait to see anything.Derailed was quite good(I like Clive Owen) but JA will never compare to Jolie in the action hit woman genre Jolie has nailed that.Gerry imo can do anything he is limitless and quite the chameleon.But someone said earlier they are hot now, if this movie isnt' in the can by year's end who knows what will happen he has on going projects I don't want her to hurt him professionally.and I surely want him in front of the camera forever.

I wish they'd quit saying romantically involved, he and Jen were working on a project, nothing more!

I can't see Jen in the part as much as I could see Thandie Newton. They had chemistry in R&R, but if it is suppose to be a comedy I see Jen in it. Oh well, it's not for me to decide, anything Gerry is in, I'll be seeing regardless of his co-star.

Sassenach

With JA in this I don't see it being a too serious action, thriller type movie. Maybe she's trying to change her good girl next door image some with this. We know that the reason she is being "hunted" is because she witnessed a murder and the bad guys obviously want her dead. It could be that it has some comedy element in it. I have a bit of trouble with the title "Bounty Hunter" which means someone who tracks down fugitives on the lamb, not innocent people who were in the wrong place at the wrong time. I would think that would be more of a "hit man". Interesting.

D

With JA in this I don't see it being a too serious action, thriller type movie. Maybe she's trying to change her good girl next door image some with this. We know that the reason she is being "hunted" is because she witnessed a murder and the bad guys obviously want her dead. It could be that it has some comedy element in it. I have a bit of trouble with the title "Bounty Hunter" which means someone who tracks down fugitives on the lamb, not innocent people who were in the wrong place at the wrong time. I would think that would be more of a "hit man". Interesting.

D

I hope we get more info soon so we know. I can totally see this being a serious action/ thriller with JA trying to show a different side. But like I said, with Andy Tennant directing (if he still is), it's hardly likely.