Gerard Butler GALS

6/12 - Gerard Butler expected to attend CFDA Awards

becozy

from: http://www.wwd.com/fashion-news/fashion-sc...tories/20090612

More, More, More

by WWD Staff

Posted Friday June 12, 2009

From WWD.COM

More presenters have been confirmed for the 2009 CFDA Awards taking place this Monday. Jack White from The White Stripes will present Anna Sui with the Geoffrey Beene Lifetime Achievement Award. In a switch, Diane Kruger will now present this year's Womenswear Designer of the Year award — she was initially slated to present accessories — and Kerry Washington will present this year's Accessories Designer of the Year award. Jimmy Fallon, meanwhile, will do the honors for the Menswear Designer of the Year category at Alice Tully Hall, where the awards are taking place.

Blake Lively, who is presenting the Swarovski awards, will be wearing Michael Kors. She will be sitting with the designer, who is also bringing Heidi Klum, Coco Rocha and Lauren Santo Domingo, among others. Bradley Cooper, Claire Danes, and Gerard Butler are also expected to attend.

What does CFDA stand for? I clicked the link but it didn't say. Center for Designing Arts? Looks like it's a combo of music, fashion and movies.

Hope we get some good pics. Thanks for the heads-up, Barb!

Lisa

I've had this desire to see Gerry in Ermenegildo Zegna! The best mens clothing on the planet, IMHO!

http://www.zegna.com/

Tom Brady and David Beckham, two name just two hot men, wear alot of Zegna. Tall, strapping men in this clothing drives me nuts. Maybe, just maybe we see Gerry rocking some Zegna at this fashion event!!!

Thank you Barb :):bow:

I'm looking forward to all of the upcoming photos

:drool1: Oh my...and with that new tuggable length dark hair of his...

:thud:

Get the defibrilators ready!!

trying to keep the over 18 comments to myself. :lalala:

Thanks, Barb, for the update. Wish they'd put Gerry on the "catwalk" in some of their duds! Va..va...vooooom!

Are those your cute "babies" in your siggy? Adorable!

D

thanks for the info :)

I was reading about the show on a fashion blog but they didn't mention attendee's

It would be a dream to go to one of these events and meet some of the designers~~!

Off Topic...I can't believe they are giving Anna Sui an award, I mean she's okay and all but nothing original

When I was studying fashion one of our classes was to go into the high end department stores and study the clothes and etc.,

and my friends and I saw her in Sak's Fifth Avenue before she became really big and she had a notepad and was copying other

designers styles and ripped the look off in her own collection with some detail changes lol! :lalala:

TRUE STORY!

Gerard either is growing a greater love for the fashion industry or he has a lot of friends in the biz but glad he get's to go

to these events...I'm jealous now ;)

thanks for the info :)

I was reading about the show on a fashion blog but they didn't mention attendee's

It would be a dream to go to one of these events and meet some of the designers~~!

Off Topic...I can't believe they are giving Anna Sui an award, I mean she's okay and all but nothing original

When I was studying fashion one of our classes was to go into the high end department stores and study the clothes and etc.,

and my friends and I saw her in Sak's Fifth Avenue before she became really big and she had a notepad and was copying other

designers styles and ripped the look off in her own collection with some detail changes lol! :lalala:

TRUE STORY!

Gerard either is growing a greater love for the fashion industry or he has a lot of friends in the biz but glad he get's to go

to these events...I'm jealous now ;)

I hate to break it to you, but that's what fashion designers/houses do. I was a designer back in Montreal for years, worked for Bugatchi, Amerella, and Milano. Many of us were "spies". I've been tossed out of stores wandering around with my portfolio, them thinking I was in there to take their ideas and run with them. Little do most know that I don't need my portfolio to "steal" "copy" someone elses idea. But they all do it. Why do you think so many different designers often come up with "similar" lines, or desgins. It is what it is.

If we liked a sweater somewhere, we would copy the idea and then add a different logo or patch, or something to make it look unique..."ours", when in fact it was someone elses. It's the nature of the industry. That's why it's hard to be original anymore.

Right now I am designing jewelry, and my work is definately original. I make what feels good/right/nice to me, and surely someone else will feel the same. But if I ever get my things out there, someone may come along and mimic or copy my stuff too. Crocs were original till others copied them and called them something else, the same can be said for almost anything .

Edited by Jennifer10

I hate to break it to you, but that's what fashion designers/houses do. I was a designer back in Montreal for years, worked for Bugatchi, Amerella, and Milano. Many of us were "spies". I've been tossed out of stores wandering around with my portfolio, them thinking I was in there to take their ideas and run with them. Little do most know that I don't need my portfolio to "steal" "copy" someone elses idea. But they all do it. Why do you think so many different designers often come up with "similar" lines, or desgins. It is what it is.

If we liked a sweater somewhere, we would copy the idea and then add a different logo or patch, or something to make it look unique..."ours", when in fact it was someone elses. It's the nature of the industry. That's why it's hard to be original anymore.

Right now I am designing jewelry, and my work is definately original. I make what feels good/right/nice to me, and surely someone else will feel the same. But if I ever get my things out there, someone may come along and mimic or copy my stuff too. Crocs were original till others copied them and called them something else, the same can be said for almost anything .

Lol! You don't need to break anything to me, I know how the fashion biz works ;) I meant it's such a lame thing to do and I know it's

done by all but not every designer does it. I think it's safe to assume we would never see G. Armani sitting in Bergdorf's scribbling away

I was just trying to share a funny experience :kisswink:

You don't need a notebook these days, spy's from companies go to the runway shows and grab stills off the cell phone and send

it to their office and after a week or two viola! Knockoff heaven!

Big companies like A.B.S. don't even bother denying it, they have people at Red Carpet Events with camera phones and send it right away to get the look rip offed for less and it takes them a couple of weeks to get them into stores. The A.B.S. representatives

are even proud of this fact when they show off the "Oscar" or whatever event dresses.

I guess for mass market purposes it works and understandable becomes how many women can afford a look in the thousands!

For about $300 you can get a dress from A.B.S. or another manufacturer.

Even though it's done I still think it's lame when a "real" designer does it. What happened to the Ann Klein's and Gianni Versace's of the world. :unsure:

Some big couture houses use fresh unknown designers who take over whether out of necessity {the fashion house namesake passes on}

Others may still be alive but the designer might want to compete with a younger buying consumer and have an edge over others by hiring new designers out of school.

I never heard of those names you mentioned, I guess fashion manufacturers from Canada? I would love to see your jewelry designs

too if you want to share them. I would love to design a jewelry line I have some "unique" ideas about what I would create

How about the celebrities who do this and not that I consider J.Lo or Jessica Simpson a "designer" {insert rolling eyes} by any means

but they are examples of ripping off looks straight from the runway and mass producing them while earning half a billion dollars in sales for made in China {possibly lead ridden textiles} at low prices while people scramble to buy this "crap" . I know not everyone could afford quality clothing but I would never give any of these clothing Co's a dime of my money :funnyface: J.Lo sells her shizz in country's like Russia and the girls there just go crazy and I can't figure out why other than the price :unsure: Gwen's L.A.M.B. sells cheap fabrics and most of the looks are hideous for outrageous dollars. At the end of the day it's just a business and profit margins

I guess it's just me then because if I were selling goods and putting my name on it along with making money I would want to

be proud of what I was making as well

Jennifer,I never heard of those names you mentioned, I guess fashion manufacturers from Canada? I would love to see your jewelry designs too if you want to share them. I would love to design a jewelry line I have some "unique" ideas about what I would create

Moira, thanks for the info and everyone else :) I see he is on the board of C.F.D.A

I found his website and his designs reminded me of Bill Blass with his use of colors and elegance, very feminine American

looking styles.

You're right, most high end desginers are not stealing people's ideas, but it is "coincidental" at times when you see similar items coming down a runway. People who have no original ideas steal from others, and then mark it all up 1000% or more and make a killing. Markup is insane. At Bugatchi we would sell a skirt for $60.00 and it would maybe cost us $4.50 to make. I laugh when sales people talk to me about "Quality" and "Worksmanship"...then I tell them what I used to do, and know enough to know I'm being screwed daily when I shop.

Yes, the houses I degined for are Canadian. Mind you, Bugatchi I find at Nordstroms and Macy's here in LA, and when I'm lucky, I find stuff discounted at Marshalls.

As for my jewelry designs. I'm working on a website; will keep you posted and add it to my profile if anyone is interested in taking a peek.

Cool thanks :) Cant wait!

We dont have a Nordstrom where I am but I'll look at Macy's @ Herald Square for that line

I know what you mean about being screwed, ever since the classes I took on Manufacturing I realized how much of a sucker

a consumer is! I never looked at items the same and when I shop I play a game I pick up the receipt then imagine what the actual

cost is and I cringe! But if something were worth it and I could afford it say like Armani I would be happy knowing I got something

of real quality :)

Edited by Guest

does anyone know if this event is televised anywhere? Like on the Style channel or something. Just curious.

I've had this desire to see Gerry in Ermenegildo Zegna! The best mens clothing on the planet, IMHO!

:thud: Holey schnikey! I share your dream and your opinion sav!

Not convinced he actually attended this event afterall as alot of pics are showing for "arrivals" and "inside" on Getty Images and he is not on any of them.

Maybe he was late. Filming may have took longer than expected.

Time will tell.

Moira

He went to a Calvin Klein function last night called First Party on the High Line. There are pics up at GettyImages.

They're also in our Gallery ... look how beautiful and green his eyes look!!

Posted Image :thud:

Posted Image :swoon:

Posted Image:D

Edited by phoenixgirl