Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
becozy

Virtual Con: Dear Frankie -"After the Ending" Info

This is not a contest, but a creative outlet for the gals who like to write!

What happened...

at the end of Dear Frankie...

we were left wanting more,

to know what the future held for The Stranger, Lizzie and Frankie.

Challenge: Write a short, short story 750 words* or less, telling us what happened...

"After the Ending"

Some tips to keep in mind:

1. Have a clear theme. What is the story about? That doesn't mean what is the plot line, the sequence of events or the character's actions, it means what is the underlying message or statement behind the words. Get this right and your story will have more resonance in the minds of your readers.

2. An effective short story covers a very short time span. It may be one single event that proves pivotal in the life of the character, and that event will illustrate the theme.

3. Don't have too many characters. Each new character will bring a new dimension to the story, and for an effective short story too many diverse dimensions (or directions) will dilute the theme. Have only enough characters to effectively illustrate the theme.

4. Make every word count. There is no room for unnecessary expansion in a short story. If each word is not working towards putting across the theme, delete it.

5. Focus. The best stories are the ones that follow a narrow subject line. What is the point of your story? Its point is its theme. It's tempting to digress, but in a 'short' you have to follow the straight and narrow otherwise you end up with either a novel beginning or a hodgepodge of ideas that add up to nothing.

source

Get your keyboards humming!The thread will be 'open' for posting stories on the first day of the Virtual Con, Friday, June 26th. If you have questions, post 'em here!

Have fun!

*note:

articles: a, an, the will not be counted

contractions count as one word, not two

Hint:

If you're using Word 2007, right-click the status bar (bottom of the Word window), and click Word Count.

If you're using Word 2003, right-click any toolbar and click Word Count.

'Rule of Thumb": One page typed and double spaced is normally about 500 words; so 750 words should be about a page and a half.

Is this for everyone to participate? and

What if the story goes a little over 750 words?

Thanks

Delene :wave:

Thanks

The send a Bounty Hunter after you!!!!

Thanks

The send a Bounty Hunter after you!!!!

As long as it's "Gerry, The Bounty Hunter"!

D

Well, that's part of the challenge...

keep it short! ;)

Articles (a, an, the) won't count;

contractions count as one word;

Let's see what you can do!

Tracy, if you're composing your entry in a word processing program,

there is almost always a feature for word count!

But it does not make a distinction between the articles and the other words!!! :pointy::pointy::pointy:

BTW, I have two questions:

1. Can anybody take part, or is it necessary to register before somehow (I tried to write something, and it is almost ready)?

and, if the answer to the question 1 is positive:

2. What time and how the thread will be opened (because of the time shift)?

Thank you very much!!! :wave::wave: :wave:

Edited by Donnie

This is just for fun.

Keep it as close to 750 words as possible. Keep it a short, short story. ;)

This is for Members who 'register' for the Virtual Con...

we're trying to have some member participation ;)

And I'll open the thread as soon as I am able on Friday June 26th. :D

From Post 1:

This is not a contest, but a creative outlet for the gals who like to write! Challenge: Write a short, short story 750 words* or less, telling us what happened...

"After the Ending"

The thread will be 'open' for posting stories on the first day of the Virtual Con, Friday, June 26th.

And how should we register? There were not any clear guidelines given. :wave::wave::wave:

There's a whole subforum for the Virtual Con here

and Registration info: here

This thread was posted and opened'early' to give anyone interested in participating a little 'lead' time!

I appreciate your questions, and I hope I answered them.

Best,

Barb

:D

So is there still time to register? I don't want to miss it, if it was opened just for some time (when it could be night here)! :wave::wave::wave:

Registration

Starts Thursday, June 25

and is open through

Sunday, June 28th 6PM Pacific Time

For more info I've posted Program of Activities which is still 'under construction'

Most of the Virtual Con is planned around my availability since I host it -

and I try to be 'computer ready' as much as possible each of the days.

Ususally I'm on Board by 8:30AM US/ET and sign-off at 1 or 2AM, depending upon my stamina :lol:

But, as always with the Forum, members can drop by and participate whenever they're available, I just might not be 'here' to answer questions or moderate. Questions may be directed to any of the Mods that might be 'on-line'.

:D

Hugs,

Barb

Thank you for your answer, and especially for all the effort you put to GALS activities all the time!!! :wave::wave::wave:

Thank you for your answer, and especially for all the effort you put to GALS activities all the time!!! :wave::wave::wave:

You are welcome, Donnie!

It will be very nice to have you 'attend' this year's Virtual Con!

:claphands:

I agree, Donnie. Barb is the "heart" of GALS! If you knew everything she did, your head would spin. I know mine spins and I still don't know everything she does! LOL

:metoyou:

Thanks for the love! :lol:

:bump1:

I do not have a word processing program. I have a site where I write. I am writing it there. So, I have to count it the old fashioned way.

Love,

Tracy

I do not have a word processing program. I have a site where I write. I am writing it there. So, I have to count it the old fashioned way.

Love,

Tracy

:hey: Tracy!

It doesn't have to be EXACTLY 750 words...some less fine. 15-20 more okay. :D

More than that :humph:

I did a little research and added this to the first post:

'Rule of Thumb": One page typed and double spaced is normally about 500 words; so 750 words should be about a page and a half.

Since no word-counting Mods :lol: have been assigned to this, your story should be good if you use that advice!

:hug1:

Barb

I just wanted to know how we will find out that the thread is opened. I know that I might seem to be restless - because of the time shift, it is Friday afternoon here already, so I do not know if it is not too late to join. :wave::wave::wave:

I am very sick today. :sick: I have a terrible case of edema and my diabetes is completely out of control however I did complete my story. :stranger:

I absolutely cannot be online much today as I will swell even more so will someone please PM where to put my story? I know I am a pain in the butt. :spank::bonk:

I want to agree yes Barb is our virtual con angel. :metoyou: She is so kind to us at virtual con. :fans: Last year I licked poor little Gerry and killed him. He was not a sticker, but I still have my book marker and key chain. It has Gerry on one part and I have a Stephen Nichols key chain on it too. I have the best Hubby in the world because he doesn't mind. He knows who my soul mate is.

Love all of you eternally,

Tracy :hug::hugskisses:

Tracy, I am so sorry you're not well.

Prayers headed your way and :hug:

The thread is open: here