Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
isaboo

Viewing Images

In the last few months...I have encounted an error when trying to view images in the gallery. It says "Stop running this script?" A script running on this page is causing Internet Explorer to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive. Am I the only one getting this? I get it on several computers I work on.

I always get that error on internet explorer too, but never with mozilla firefox.

I get the same message and so does Fran. I just click no and keep going.It is a pain cause you have to do it between every picture.I thought it was just my computer til Fran said she gets the same thing.

:hugs: Peggy

Most likely explanation is you're trying to access photos that I'm still editing

I have to remove our watermark from other site's photos, delete inadvertently added duplicates or substitute better quality images, and some that are too large for the gallery have to be scaled back to acceptable size.

So, if you wait a few minutes, and then clear your browser cache and cookies (it's in the How-To section) or even, just hit 'refresh', or reload the forum (log out, and then back in) you should have all the photos.

Also, make sure you don't have a 'script' blocker enabled, if you do, change it to 'allow' www.gerardbutlergals.com

Microsoft has some trouble-shooting info:

How to troubleshoot script errors in InternetExplorer 6 and in Internet Explorer 7 on Windows 2000-based, Windows XP-based, Windows Server 2003-based, or Windows Vista-based computersat this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308260

AND if that doesn't work, it may be high traffic volume on your IP server - in which case you just have to wait for it to 'clear' or your IP may have a download limit.

Hope it works!

Barb

It only comes up on IE. I just press ok and it works fine. Does not happen on Mozilla Firefox as somebody already mentioned.

Moira

Stef with an F has GALS set up for Firefox.

I usually just 'clear' or reload the page if I get one of these errors.

Since I switched to Firefox I don't have that problem anymore either! Although when I save an image it goes over to a download page which I don't like...Oh well...as long as I can get my Gerry fix I will survive!! :D

:wave: Frannie

Since I switched to Firefox I don't have that problem anymore either! Although when I save an image it goes over to a download page which I don't like...Oh well...as long as I can get my Gerry fix I will survive!! :D

:wave: Frannie

Frannie...

when you right click on the image, and 'save image as', your folders should open up-

Posted Image

Posted Image

select the one you want to save the image into - you can navigate around your folders, even add a new folder, rename it and move it!

Posted Image

Or do what I do for most of my photo harvesting...

I create a new folder for the event and have it 'open'

then I minimize the window size to half of my monitor

minimize the browser window to about half size, too

and then I drag & drop the photos! This works for most sites and most images! :D

Posted Image

And another way:

Go to Firefox Browser's Tools and choose Page Info

Posted Image

when the selection opens, choose Media, and click on the codes with .jpg

and the image will appear in the Preview Window click the 'save as (it will download whatever size image is on the page, if it's a thumbnail, that's what downloads)

Posted Image

then 'save as' on the window (circled in the illustration) and it will open your 'Download' folder...use the instructions from above to pick the folder in which to put the photo.

Hope this is useful!

Hugs,

Barb

Its both the website end, and the user end.

A website consists of many pages, each page containing bits of code. If there is too much code, it takes IE a long time to read it, which means a long time to display it. This is also true with Content Management Systems - or database systems - which I believe the image gallery is. This means that even if theres not alot of code on the specific page you are viewing - IE has to search the whole database (and alot of Gerry pics means a long search!) before it can properly display the page.

Now, you can fix this by editing the registry - but be careful when editing the registry. The registry is like DNA it is the backbone of your operating system (windows). You CAN edit it, even those who do not know how, just as long as you follow everything step by step and dont do anything extra.

In this case we will be adding code (as opposed to modifying or deleting), so theres less worry of mucking something up.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175500

This is Microsoft's detailed explanation, and instructions, however the instructions are vague for someone who has never even seen the registry editor. So heres mine - note you do not have to turn off IE to do this, or restart it when done:

1) Go to Start Menu / Run, and type regedit (a new window will pop up with a folder tree on the left site, listing folders starting with HKEY)

2) Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\InternetExplorer\

3) If you have a folder inside the Internet Explorer folder called Styles, select this folder and proceed to step 4.

If you do NOT have a folder inside the last folder (Internet Explorer) called Styles, click on "Internet Explorer" folder to make sure its selected.

*At the top, in the file menu, click Edit - New - Key.

*A new folder will appear in the folder tree, under the Internet Explorer folder. Name it Styles

If you accidentally deselected the folder before setting the name, right click on the folder and select "rename"

4) Go to Edit - New - DWORD Value and type (or highlight here, copy, and paste there) MaxScriptStatements

If you accidentally deselected before setting the name, right click on the value and choose "rename"

5) Exit the registry editor

I did this myself, and Ive stopped getting the popup - but remember this only stops the popup, the page will still take several seconds too load. My advice is to not multi-task (meaning while waiting for the page to load dont switch over to another program in the interim) when viewing the gallery. IE is unstable and may crash if your computer is "talking" too much.

You might want to copy the instructions and save them in a notepad file on your hard drive for future reference. If you reinstall IE, your windows (including upgrades), or switch to a new computer (hence new windows), youll need to redo these steps.

So it's a matter of both ends, the server, and the user.

But really we can just blame Gerry - its his fault theres so many photos! bwahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa! (besides, its more fun!)

Are we human? ... or are we dancer?