Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
GBPhanatic

Suggestion for future GALS conventions

Maybe this has been suggested before, but has the idea ever been considered to run the convention in multiple locations around the globe all at the same time and run a "virtual connection"? Perhaps this would make it easier for some of the GALS to attend and participate if they were in closer proximity of the event(s). The main one could still be in Las Vegas but perhaps some other locations such as on the East Coast, Midwest, Northwest and the Southern region could be included and then others held in locations like Canada, Australia, UK, etc. wherever there are GALS/PALS that want to participate.

Hugs,

Delene :wave:

Edited by GBPhanatic

Delene, I vote the Midwest convention be in Kansas City!! Can you imagine how ROCKIN" Bartle Hall would be packed with GALS!!!!!??? Or, get The Hyatt Regency to take us on!! OOOO!! Better yet!! Union Station. We'd just take over the whole first floor. Dinner at Pierpont's or that lovely cafe in front. We'd be sooo POSH!!!.

The Divine Miss S :rose:

If possible, a better camera. I very much! enjoyed the streaming video, but it got rather hard to see at times.

JMHO

Miss S, I like the Union Station idea but how about Fiorella's? Nothing like that midwestern BBQ and they're the best in my book!

Love

Delene :wave:

They don't have room for that many people & the usual clientele. We'd have to rent the restaurant for the nite. P R I C E Y!!!!

They don't have room for that many people & the usual clientele. We'd have to rent the restaurant for the nite. P R I C E Y!!!!

How many of us do you think there would be?? LOL! We'll have them cater!

D

That works!!!!

It will always be in Vegas as far as I can tell but there is nothing stopping any of you having your own get togthers at the same time in your own locations. If I recall It was co-ordinated to be round the time of CineVegas and by chance Gerry was there attending Ariel's film Danska and according to an interview he said he showed at the Covention because he was spotted in Vegas and was worried what people would think if they found out he was in town at same time and never made the effort. He even says himself it is not right to turn up to your own convention. See always worrying about what people think bless him :wuv:

It is a fan convention first and foremost and people who maybe book on the hope Gerry may attend are heading for a major disappointment. Look at it as a girlie weekend away with like minded individuals who dont think your are a complete loon :rotflmao::lmao:

He went all out for both the 1st GB.Net(he was filming 300 at time so provided special video message and some amazing things for raffle) and Gals Conventions a personal appearance no less and raffle items - more than i suspect any other celeb would do so I think it would be wrong of us to hope he'd pull the stops out year after year.

Moira

I personally think it would cheapen the whole idea if they split it up into different locations, but as mentioned before people could host their own little shin digs at the same time :hmm:

The live video was a new idea this year so they were working out the kinks and figuring out what would work or not....I'm sure things will be better next year. I'm just happy we got as much as we did because it was AWESOME!!!!! :bow2:

:butterfly:

Joni

To be honest, it doesn't matter to me where it happens...I had a BLAST!!!! I go where the party goes!!

The reason for my suggesting the multiple locations was to enable other GALS who cannot attend the Vegas one, a chance to participate more locally. I did also say that the major one was still held in Vegas but on second thought, it does sound like too much trouble.

I apologize if my meaning was misconstrued. The thought of Gerry showing up was just a passing comment, nothing more, and not the reasoning of this suggestion whatsoever. Again, I apologize it it came off as such.

I did not know of the extenuating circumstances around his last and only other appearance and I had only heard he was already in town at the time on other business. Consider me, enlightened.

My suggestion was basically to put the idea out there of a multiple site convention, held together virtually and see if anyone else was interested, nothing more, and not something organized to force Gerry in to an appearance.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

D

If possible, a better camera. I very much! enjoyed the streaming video, but it got rather hard to see at times.

JMHO

After I overcame laptop/messenger issues, the biggest problem was LIGHTING! In addition to being lowered for "ambience" for the gala, the Hilton has implemented a "green program" wherein the chain is striving to reduce its "carbon footprint." Outside of the slot machines and jewelry cases, NOTHING is brightly lit (it's rather annoying -- you always feel like you can't quite "see.")

Between my regular handheld "webcam," which was transmitting through Big Mike's laptop "air card" and the lighting, things appeared "blurry." (Although the hotel offers wi-fi, the wi-fi DOES NOT extend to the ballrooms. The fee for ONE day of temporary satellite internet was $1,000!! Suffice to say, Mike's air card was the chosen option. (Trust me, I would have GLADLY paid the wi-fi fee!))

Hopefully, next year we'll have a lighting source projected onto the "stage area," and even newer technology to implement. We learned lessons for next year; this year we did the best with what we had available.

The reason for my suggesting the multiple locations was to enable other GALS who cannot attend the Vegas one, a chance to participate more locally. I did also say that the major one was still held in Vegas but on second thought, it does sound like too much trouble.

If you knew how much time, energy and effort went into planning this event for ONE location, by a TEAM of people, you'd realize exactly what an understatement you've just made. :rotflmao: I shudder at the thought of trying to get tshirts, swag bags, all the contents of same, enough auction items (Gerry-signed and otherwise), shipment of such auction items, collection of winning bids, catering, room arrangements, etc. from and for VARIOUS locations ... Attendees will tell you the swag bags alone are typically personalized to the degree that they contain the individual's shirt, name tag, tickets, etc. Not to mention the cost of same. We put this on at cost -- there is no "profit" made by registration fees. Heck, the fee we have now doesn't begin to cover the swag bag stuffers and room decorations -- most of which are donated.

It's a fun idea to be sure! However, logistically, it's just not possible for those of us that do this as a "labor of love," and financially it's completely not feasible.

As Moira suggested, there's no reason why "get togethers" can't be planned for the various areas. But as far as being sponsored and/or related to the Vegas convention, I don't see that happening.

I consider you enlighted, D, but I also appreciate your willingness to share your ideas!! Although this particular idea may not come to fruition (who knows maybe one day we WILL be global!), this kind of suggestion is what sparks others to think about "how it can be done"! Please don't misconstrue the reactions in the thread as anything negative or personal! You never know if the discussions within this thread will give birth to a completely different and wonderful idea that IS feasible at this point in time. And all because you started a discussion! This kind of post is completely welcomed, especially in the form and place in which it was posted.

:hugs:

Spot

Yes Ma'am! How do you think this very site got its start? :highfive:

I just wish it was possible to hold it on the East coast once in a while....seems all the activities are on the West coast which does indeed make us East coasters (financially strapped I might add) left out in the cold most of the time...I guess the alternative is to just move to the West coast huh? :p But we do have the birthday bash that's held in NY ...just doesn't ever seem to be many Gals there... :unsure: so the idea that you had D is a good one but I guess just not a practical one! I wish it was....... :tantrum:

:wave: Frannie

I just wish it was possible to hold it on the East coast once in a while....seems all the activities are on the West coast which does indeed make us East coasters (financially strapped I might add) left out in the cold most of the time...I guess the alternative is to just move to the West coast huh? :p But we do have the birthday bash that's held in NY ...just doesn't ever seem to be many Gals there... :unsure: so the idea that you had D is a good one but I guess just not a practical one! I wish it was....... :tantrum:

When you dream ya gotta dream big, I always say!

Thanks, Frannie.

Love

Delene

Hi Delene

You may be interested in this or anyone else for that matter.

Even though Gals runs the Gerard Butler Fan Convention it is open to all Gerard Butler fans not just members of Gals - Dayna wanted to ensure any Gerry fan felt welcome regardless of fansite affiliation hence why there is probably people there who also belong to Dot Net and Gerrylicious etc.

You may not be a member of GerardButler.Net but they have this year in celebration of Gerry's forthcoming 40th birthday a Global party being held in various locations in October across the US, UK and Japan. I am not aware you have to be a member to attend.

http://www.gerardbutler.net/convention/

I expect there are members of various sites attending this so if you are looking for somewhere more closer to home to party with Gerry fans this may be ideal for you

Moira

Frannie,

I will be there this year. :wave:

Hi Delene

You may be interested in this or anyone else for that matter.

Even though Gals runs the Gerard Butler Fan Convention it is open to all Gerard Butler fans not just members of Gals - Dayna wanted to ensure any Gerry fan felt welcome regardless of fansite affiliation hence why there is probably people there who also belong to Dot Net and Gerrylicious etc.

You may not be a member of GerardButler.Net but they have this year in celebration of Gerry's forthcoming 40th birthday a Global party being held in various locations in October across the US, UK and Japan. I am not aware you have to be a member to attend.

http://www.gerardbutler.net/convention/

I expect there are members of various sites attending this so if you are looking for somewhere more closer to home to party with Gerry fans this may be ideal for you

Moira

Thank you, Moira and I am already aware of the BD bash and hopefully can attend the one in KC or NYC.

My suggestion, however, was not for myself but those who simply cannot afford to go to NYC, Vegas, LA and live too far away or out of the country and do not have the resources as we do to travel at will so they can feel a little more a part of the annual celebration.

I realize there are priviledges that come with attending the convention in Vegas and I am not trying to take anything away from that event but it just seems that those who cannot go because of the cost might feel a little left out, perhaps unrecognized in their own efforts, even though they contribute their time, their talents, their donations as much as they can.

The draw for members to this site and their active participation is not only a product of the love for Gerard Butler but the warmth, the beauty, the talented gifts from the members, and the friendship that's available and it's important that we all feel a part of the bigger whole and not just a tally number at the bottom of the page.

I don't mean to sound put off but my idea was presented with the best possible intentions in mind and it was met with a rather seemingly abrupt negativity not to mention a complete misunderstanding of my entire thought process.

As I said before, my suggestion was not constructed with the notion of some global multisited "con" for the purposes of snagging a happenchance Gerry appearance. I just want that to be clear and understood. My idea was sparked from not only the virtual capabilites that seem available now but also the beautiful theme of this year's convention "We Are All Connected".

Thanks to all of you, however, for your consideration.

Delene

Delene

I think you seem to be taking what we have said out of context. Nobody suggested you made the comment to "snag" an appearance by Gerry. You only briefly made a passing comment. In my particular post I only said what I did because I have read a handful of posts leading up to Vegas over the months from new members who commented "maybe Gerry will be there". Now nobody can ever say for sure if he will surprise us again I just felt it was the appropriate time to re-iterate to members if you are going to book you do so because you want to spend a weekend with like minded individuals and not in the hope he will appear. I suspect in this current financial climate alot can ill afford to come as it is and I would hate people to spend what they cannot really afford in the hope he may make an appearance.

I expect after the 1st Gals Convention quite a few booked up the following year hoping for a repeat performance and whilst I am sure they had an amazing time meeting other Gerry fans I suspect they may have been a little disappointed Gerry did not show. I know from experience when I attended the 2nd GB.Net Convention in Glasgow(my first ever fan thing) because he had pulled out all the stops at the 1st one and only provided raffle items at the 2nd there were alot of disgruntled fans that night - many who had travelled from US etc. I realised then so many fans had unrealistic expectations of Gerry. I was only glad I had no idea until I attended what he had actually done for the fans the year before.

You made alot of good points and Holly did commend you on them and who knows what may happen in the years to come.

Moira

Again, thanks to you and Holly for your comments and your feedback.

Delene

Delene,

you should come to NYC to the birthday bash.

Delene,

you should come to NYC to the birthday bash.

I just might do that! It would be a blast I'm sure!

Delene

Andrea....I hope to see you at the birthday bash...and Delene, I would love it if you would try and make it! As I said before I went to one a couple of years back and although I realize the BD bash is for all fans not a lot of Gals attended...I don't know if it was because of demographics or what the reason...I just know I was excited about meeting up with my fellow Gals ...which don't get me wrong...I did meet a few and was ecstatic but I do believe the bash is more of a GB.net gathering....I also realize that a lot of Gals are also members of other sites but there are some of us that are not. I for one felt a wee bit out of place... As I said that was two years ago and I was kind of a newbie to any fan site so now I think i would blend in a bit better :)

I took this thread to be a place were we could make suggestions or maybe just make our wishes known for future Conventions...I don't think any of us have the expectation that Gerry would make a second appearance....I certainly don't but I would just like too meet my fellow Galfriends in the flesh and be able to join in the fun...you have to admit, after those of you that have been able to meet in person do have the advantage more so to become closer so to speak. So I really think that's the whole idea when it's mentioned about moving the convention around to give others the same advantage...I just never thought of it being too much of a hassle but I guess I was wrong...So what the Heck do I know anyway??? :doh:

JMO BTW!

Edited by ladyfran