Gerard Butler GALS

Suggestion for future GALS conventions

GBPhanatic

I just wanted to give a GREAT BIG :ty:

To Dayna and all the Mods, Admins and everyone else that made this years and every years con a huge success!

I appreciated all the hard work that goes into an event like this. So Brovo to all :clap::clap::clap::clap:

I'll be there next year and will be happy to help in any way I can.

Hugs,

Cheryl

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:cheer2:to you Barb and to Scotsman Stuart on this end (and Holly via webcam and Big Mike's air card on the Vegas end) for making the Virtual Con all that it is! Of course we'll work on any technical improvements that may be possible by next year, but it is quite an accomplishment to have produced what we did with no huge investment in equipment. My company uses videoconferencing to hold meetings with our offices in other locations and I know how hugely expensive the equipment is, and even with that sometimes the picture or sound quality is less than desirable and sometimes we have to switch to a good ol' conference call on the telephone.

Frannie, I will say a prayer that next year you are able to be in Vegas with us.

Wow, what an amazing experience you gals had at the convention. I saw several pictures and I could tell by the smiles you're all having a good time. It must be really exciting and fun to get together once a year. I'm just scared to go, because I don't know a lot of you guys and you might not even notice me. I'm 5'0 flat and 98 lbs, but I'm cute and have a lot of sense of humor. I'll attend the convention when I'm comfortable enough to be with you guys. As far as I know, it's been phantastic and I envy you all.

I'm saving pennies, though.....and Vegas is OK with me. :D That big plate of nachos really look good!

MoniqueD

Wow what a thread ...

First and foremost ... whether or not I can personally get there, I appreciate everything everyone, all the Mods/Admins and members, do to make sure that all attendees have a wonderful time. I have put events together locally and I know how much goes into that; I can't imagine doing it from all over the country. Dayna, Jenn and Susan - you guys are wonderful for putting so much of yourselves into the effort. AND IT SHOWS.

I love the idea that it's in one place every year. Like Debbie said, you always know where it will be. And since you know that it WILL be there every year, you have a year to save up if it's something you want to do. You know how much the rooms are, you know it's always the second weekend in June so pretty much you know how much you'll need. I think it's a smart financial decision to have it in the same place every year.

Also, it would kinda defeat the purpose to have it spread out all over the country. Then people who don't get to see each other all year wouldn't be able to. Last year I was able to meet Swannie, Landa, Dayna, Debbie, Mel, women from other countries, etc. - people I wouldn't normally ever get to see. If it was all over the place, the only people I would get to see would be Susan and Swannie. What's the point then (no offense - I think you both know what I mean). Yes, it's expensive, that's a given. That's just the way it is.

I think it's perfect just the way it is. As for the Virtual Con - my goodness it was fabulous! It was the first year it was done and of course there are going to be glitches, etc. But I felt like I was a part of the whole thing. They tried, it worked and next year maybe will be even better. It's better than nothing!

Instead of complaining every year, maybe we need to look at what is good and positive about the experience and time put into it. Humans as a whole tend to always look at the negative, and that only purports more negativity.

Next year, I'm hoping to not only attend but participate in helping however I can Consider this an official offer, Dayna and Susan. Let me know what, if anything, I can do to help make it as special as always.

As for suggested themes ... I love the idea of Timeline or Beowulf. Two of my favorite Gerry movies. As a teacher, I'm pretty good at coming up with all kinds of things around a theme ... both would garner such wonderful fun things. I'll have to think of a good tag line. :lol:

Another suggestion, if I might be so bold, is that maybe the workshops could be in the hospitality suite or other rooms so that we don't have to rent the ballroom for two days. That might help keep the cost down? Just an idea ... I won't be bent out of shape if it's not taken. :lol:

BIG HUGS for all who put everything together ... Dayna, Jennifer, Susan, Holly, Katie, Barb, Mel, KB, Landa (girl, those cookies were amazing), STUART, and everyone I'm leaving out. It's a lot of work, and I mean A LOT OF WORK, and you do it all for US, not for yourselves.

:hugs: and :hearts:

Lisa

Monique, I am 5' nothing (although I cheat by claiming an extra 1/2 inch) and not quite as tiny as you any longer. I too was scared to death the first time I went to Vegas. Thankfully I was able to travel with Lady Elissa and her family. However, once we arrived and met our first batch of GALS, we were "home". There is such love with this group that you will not be a stranger for long. It is such a ball trying to add screen names to faces and you will be shocked when you meet some people who don't look at all like you thought - what fun!

But I have to tell you, our Admins and MODS and volunteers put together a Convention that is filled with love and excitement and emotion and such big hearted warmth that you truly do feel part of a "family" as Frannie said. The conventions are accomplished with lots of class, hard work, blood, sweat and tears and they will make you very proud to be Gerry Butler booster and a GAL!

We were told early on that the conventions would always be in Vegas and would always coincide with CineVegas, the Las Vegas Film Festival just in case Gerry would be at the festival as he was in 2006. Later we learned it is very unlikely he will ever attend another convention but his presence is no longer the focus of the Conventions. The sisterhood of fans and the good we can accomplish through GCF IS the focus. As I have heard before, "Gerry brought us here, the friends we have found keep us here".

Suzie

Edited by Texas gramma

I consider you enlighted, D, but I also appreciate your willingness to share your ideas!! Although this particular idea may not come to fruition (who knows maybe one day we WILL be global!), this kind of suggestion is what sparks others to think about "how it can be done"! Please don't misconstrue the reactions in the thread as anything negative or personal! You never know if the discussions within this thread will give birth to a completely different and wonderful idea that IS feasible at this point in time. And all because you started a discussion! This kind of post is completely welcomed, especially in the form and place in which it was posted.

:hugs:

Spot

I agree, I love Vegas and next year plan on having more days to really see the City.

A Big HUGE {{{{{{HUG}}}}}} to all the hard workers and thinkers or both that put this together and next year when I get there...and I will.....I will be willing to do anything that I can to help out.... ANYTHING! You might have to drag me away from the one armed bandits though :p (slots) they can be addictive ya know!.... Also the virtual Con was an absolute blast and Holly....I see in Cheryls pics you were working your Bunns off to keep us apprised Sweetie....THANK YOU! And Barbara (becozy) I can't thank you enough...but ...THANK YOU!

Dayna,....without you as our leader Gal...well it goes without saying...we would not have our absolutely amazing extended family today!! So for this .. :hearts:

:wave: Frannie

Monique, I am 5' nothing (although I cheat by claiming an extra 1/2 inch) and not quite as tiny as you any longer. I too was scared to death the first time I went to Vegas. Thankfully I was able to travel with Lady Elissa and her family. However, once we arrived and met our first batch of GALS, we were "home". There is such love with this group that you will not be a stranger for long. It is such a ball trying to add screen names to faces and you will be shocked when you meet some people who don't look at all like you thought - what fun!

But I have to tell you, our Admins and MODS and volunteers put together a Convention that is filled with love and excitement and emotion and such big hearted warmth that you truly do feel part of a "family" as Frannie said. The conventions are accomplished with lots of class, hard work, blood, sweat and tears and they will make you very proud to be Gerry Butler booster and a GAL!

We were told early on that the conventions would always be in Vegas and would always coincide with CineVegas, the Las Vegas Film Festival just in case Gerry would be at the festival as he was in 2006. Later we learned it is very unlikely he will ever attend another convention but his presence is no longer the focus of the Conventions. The sisterhood of fans and the good we can accomplish through GCF IS the focus. As I have heard before, "Gerry brought us here, the friends we have found keep us here".

Suzie

Texas Gramma--you cheat by 1/2 inch heels...well...I cheat by wearing 3 inches heels, 4 I cannot handle I'll slip and sprain my ankle. haha! But thanks for telling me I don't feel so bad anymore. It is so true that Gerry brought us all here. Aside from all of you, I have friends from other site that I still keep in touch. They've gone some place else, too. I mean to another celebrity, but all the Gerry fansites are cool. I love all of them and very informative of his whereabouts. Even if Gerry is not around, we feel his presence and value the sisterhood. I feel at home here at GALS. It's so nice to have the same interest and talk and share and "giggle" and "gush" about the man of our dreams.

Thanks for that input, Texas Gramma!

hugs

... his presence is no longer the focus of the Conventions. The sisterhood of fans and the good we can accomplish through GCF IS the focus. As I have heard before, "Gerry brought us here, the friends we have found keep us here".

Suzie

WELL SAID, GRAMMA! :clap:

As for first-timers, Monique, I think every last one of us has stories of either traveling with known friends or traveling alone "just in case" we arrived at the convention only to discover it wasn't what we wanted to do. This is my 4th year (my 3rd as "registration clerk") and I've yet to hear of anyone not returning to the convention after registration. :p In fact, it's quite the opposite. More often than not, we get stories of how "apprehension" was soon replaced with "utter joy" at being surrounded by like-minded people. For me, the convention is the ONLY time I'm able to meet certain online friends. What started as a "WTF am I doing?" moment, has morphed into a "I'll NEVER miss this!" moment. :) I hope we get the chance to meet you at the FIFTH Annual Gerard Butler Fan Convention. :kisswink:

I agree, Holly. My husband came with me for my first convention in '07 because he didn't want Suzie and me to travel alone, and I also think he wanted to see for himself what we were going to be up to :p , but he had so much fun in Vegas that he's now a PAL and has attended every year since. We always rent a car and he serves as driver and errand-runner as needed. Now even our daughter comes with us and has fun too. It's become a family tradition for us! :D

For me, the convention is the ONLY time I'm able to meet certain online friends. What started as a "WTF am I doing?" moment, has morphed into a "I'll NEVER miss this!" moment. :) I hope we get the chance to meet you at the FIFTH Annual Gerard Butler Fan Convention. :kisswink:

Momma Spot, you just put into words exactly how I feel! No wonder I love you...

I just want to say to anyone who has said or thought or will say or think, "I know how much work goes into this..." that respectfully, "No, you do not."

Because even I, who has along with several others, helped with organizing the con for the past 3 years, did not fully realize until this year just how much takes place and what happens behind the scenes to make everything happen seamlessly and flow beautifully.

I was honored to be roommates with Dayna and Jenni (as we are also the officers of GCF) and they both worked tirelessly and long hours meeting with the hotel staff and the decorators, etc. to ensure that everything was set up as it should be, etc. And all of that work is only a culmination of MONTHS of preparation and planning and coordinating with the hotel and other businesses they work with while we're in Vegas.

If we ever appeared to be inaccessible holed away in our room it's because there were still things to get done so that everyone would have a fantastic time. I know I missed out on a lot of laughs because I was helping out with this or that, but I wouldn't change a thing, because it's been such a rewarding experience! (And thank you to any and all who covered for me during registration as our room clock was set an hour early. Never did figure out how to reset that sucker. I wound up manning the Hosp. Suite for 2 hours and worked with Dayna on some of those behind the scenes things. ;) )

So, I just wanted to say a HUGE thank you to Jenni and Dayna and the rest of the "coordinators" who assist and think of all the minutia of detail that goes into making everyone feel special and welcomed and satisfied that it was money well spent. And a HUGE thank you to Barb and assistants who made everyone feel the same way about the Virtual Con!

Thanks, Gals for all the input. It's ssoooo encouraging! If nobody wants to come along with me from Hawaii I will need to buddy up with someone when I get to vegas, because I easily get lost. I didn't even know that plane tickets can be purchased online and be picked up from a computer at the airport to proceed to your gate. I'm so ignorant and naive with these things. :unsure:

But like I said...I'm saving all my money to hopefully attend GB Convention in 2010.

I am going to try my hardest to make it next year.....in a couple weeks I am acquiring temporary custody of my neice and nephew for an undetermined length of time due to some domestic issues with their parents so I will REALLY be pinching the pennies, but with a lot of planning I'm going to do my best to make sure it can be done. :wuv:

I also like Swannies idea for next year and I would like to say thanks for all the hard work and effort that was not only put into the convention but the virtual one as well! As a virtual participant it was great to feel like we were a part of the weekend as well!

:hearts: