Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Swansong

2010 Convention

I know the 2009 convention has barely gotten over with, but I was so disappointed to have missed this year, that I want to be first in line to sign up for 2010. Of course there are no registration threads, or announcements regarding next year, but I figure if I start thinking about it and planning for it early, despite this year's obstacles, I can make it happen.

So my plan is, the minute registration is announced, I'm gonna pay my fee and NOT hesitate. There has to be a way for me to deal with my dietary restrictions, and instead of missing out next year, I'm gonna do some research and figure out how to pull this off.

Determined in Portland OR,

Swannie

And I'm going to be right behind you on this one. Not missing out again.

Cat

Atta girl, Cat!

Who's next?

Swannie

Okay, now I'm getting proactive. I don't know if the convention will be at the Hilton again next year, but I went ahead and emailed them, asking if any of their on-site restaurants serve gluten free meals. A lot of restaurants are doing that now, so I'm crossing my fingers. See, I told you I was determined!

Swannie

I'm in line too! I have a small bit of funds that will be available after I have retired in October -that is earmarked for Vegas registration.

~Bella

I have my empty penny jar labeled for 2010. :woohoo:

I do NOT want to miss it again! I've only gone once, but I missed being there so much this year. I'm in!

Lisa

I see Sally posting down there! We had such a ball again this year there is no way in the dickens I'm missing out next year! Count me in too!

Suzie

I am sooooo there! As long as Dayna does this I will be there!

Love ya Dr Em!

Count me too! I must find a "piggy" bank and start saving now.

Swannie, there were two GALS at my table at the Gala had special plates made as they were both vegetarians. Would that work for you, to order a special plate?

Deb and I took apples, pears and bananas for snacks in our room. a lot of the rooms have little fridges for whatever. I don't think you will have any trouble.

Sally

Sally, prior to this year's convention I inquired about my dietary issues for the catered Convention dinners. The hotel could accommodate my gluten free needs for those nights, but the problem is eating all other meals in the various restaurants. I know it sounds crazy, but even a speck of gluten makes me very ill. Unless restaurants have specific gluten free meals, you run the risk of cross contamination in food preparation, even if there is no wheat or gluten in specific dishes.

Fortunately, more and more restaurants are providing gluten free menu options, but it's still not a common practice. I'm hoping for the best.

Swannie

Edited by Swansong

The Hilton was amazing in assisting with all sorts of dietary suggestions for me, plus I had four mother hens for roomies! (KB, Landa, Stacie, Dawn - I love you Gals) If there's anyway you can pull it off Swannie, I'd love to see you next year as I shoot for the same!

:lol: Totally getting ready for next year already. I was planning in my head on the plane ride home.

Just got this email from the Hilton:

Greetings Ms. Bonnie

Thank you for selecting the Las Vegas Hilton for your vacation. The hotel restaurants do not have special gluten free menus however our chefs will be more than pleased to make product substitutions and will follow your instructions for the preparation of your meals. When you arrive at our restaurants for your meals please explain to the host staff that you have special dietary needs and request to meet with the restaurant chef. You will then be able to plan you special meal together.

This is very encouraging.

Swannie

Put me on attendees list!!! I'll even host/give a workshop! ( yes...it'll be Mr. G related. Why wouldn't it be!!?? ha ha )

Okay...puff puff....I'm getting..puff puff...in shape...puff puff...to fit in....puff puff.....my cocktail dresses.

THUD!!!! Crap!! Fell off the treadmill!!! That'll teach me to try and type on the laptop while exercising!!

(keyword LAP-top...NOT TREADMILL-top!! GOOBER! )

The Divine Miss S :rose:

But of course I will be there, hopefully with even more amazing raffle and auction items with which we can raise even more money for The Shade Tree!! I continue to feel full in my heart from our time spent at the shelter and with Marlene, the Executive Director. As she told us on Sunday, there is some special synergy between what GCF wants to accomplish and what The Shade Tree is doing and wants to continue doing, and I am ALL about synergy. So I am 1000% on board - plus I was already missing all the wonderful GALS before my car even got on the 15 Southbound to head home yesterday!!!

Lord willing, I'll be there, too.

Let me see, if I put back $10 a week, I'll have $520. That's enough to cover registration and at least a portion of the airfare. $15 a week would be $780 annually! I pool my birthday and Christmas gift money into my Convention account as well. :)

Start saving early, and even if in small increments, you'll have a significant "stash" in no time!

The impact of those few days spent together, supporting a most worthy cause like The Shade Tree, is priceless and so rewarding!

:hugs:

Katie

Miss S~ That was funny! I totally drop checked my iPod on the treadmill this morning -the tread spit it back until it hit the treadmill behind mine! Way to go working out though!! I'm right there with you!

Susan~ It was not fate that put us with Shade Tree, it was destiny -and I thank God for his giving you the path that lead us to it! I went through my bathroom this morning pulling out all the mini shampoo & lotions that I have compiled over the past few years and added some other nice bath / spa items as well. I will be going through my jewelry and shoes and just everything! :wuv:

I miss everyone so much -I was missing you all while I was still there on Sunday!!

~Bella

I am definitely there. No if, and, or buts. I am now a free woman (kids will be in college) :yourock:

I am sooooo there! As long as Dayna does this I will be there!

Love ya Dr Em!

Good! because I am not going to miss seeing you again. We have too much fun