Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Swansong

2010 Convention

All the signs point to YES......so far so good on the being there but can ya'll hold the con before the 29th my niece will be 1 and I can't miss that :)

I had a fab time this year as usual!

BIG thanks to everyone who attended the workshop, I was completely blown away!!

Binks, Raz, Deets, Poppy, Cheryl and Barb sorry I missed ya'll I was bummed we didn't get a chance to say byebye....HUGS

I'm trying to think of who else I missed??? Hugs to ya'll

This year was great even with the decreased numbers and next year I will be doing extremely little on the sight seeing and more on the GALS seeing

Snap xx

Here I go again! Thought I'd put this here instead of the ol' suggestion thread.

I just viewed the pics from Vegas and knew a couple of people or so but the rest were all faces I could not associate with names. I knew Barb, Susan, Dayna, Bella, and Deb as she was holding up those infamous Gerry jeans I believe. At future conventions, perhaps a group pic could be taken with people holding up their names in front of them for the rest of us who might not be attending and especially for those who are newer.

Thanks,

Delene

It's great that so many of you who could not make it this year are so enthusiastic already for next year and I really hope it comes to fruition for all of you. It's so easy to say after the event when you hear all the great stuff that went on and you feel like you missd out "if only". Unfortunately real life does take over and this year it has been hard for so many and I think the virtual con was a magnificent idea for those who never went regardless of reason.

People have alot of good ideas for scrimping and saving for next year to ensure their attendance and I believe if you really want to go you will find a way - I know I could not go because of work commitments and when I looked at my finances recently on a seperate issue I realised there were alot of ways I was just wasting money here and there. For example toiletries - how many of us use named brands and not a shop brand. I have found things like mouse, hairspray and body sprays etc can be just as nice and cost less than half. We all have specific foods we like and again more often than not go for brand names - I shop at Asda which is the equivalent of your Walmart and apart from the odd product their own brand stuff is just as nice and considerably cheaper than a named brand.

My sister has a good way of saving - at the end of each week she empties her purse and all small change in coins up to 50p pieces ie 1p 2p 5p 10p and 20p she sticks in a bottle and tries her best not to raid it often :funnyup: - she loves spa weekends and this allows her a couple a year without having to put much to it.

I think Swannie is right when Registration is announced make the conscious effort that you are going and sign up without delay. Are airfares cheaper in US if bought in advance? - if so book without delay as it will be alot cheaper. More often than not you will get a roomie easy enough and we have been good at getting decent rates at Convention hotels.

Most importantly if you are a Gal who wants to go but knows they will be coming alone then take the bull by the horns, get brave and go knowing you will not be alone when you get there - alot do already know each other but I have never met such a nice bunch of women who go out of their way to make newbies feel welcome - don't be timid you may have to make first move but chances are even if you have not met in person you have mixed alot on the forum already. It is so great to finally put faces to names you see so often here.

Moira :wave:

I don't know if everyone has Southwest Airlines service from your airport, but usually in January or Feb they run specials to Las Vegas, sometimes as low as $99 one way.

(TheBlonde @ Jun 30 2009, 09:21 AM)

I have my empty penny jar labeled for 2010.

You hiding it from dear ole' hubby??!

You are SOOO funny! Get this chick a mike.

Here I go again! Thought I'd put this here instead of the ol' suggestion thread.

I just viewed the pics from Vegas and knew a couple of people or so but the rest were all faces I could not associate with names. I knew Barb, Susan, Dayna, Bella, and Deb as she was holding up those infamous Gerry jeans I believe. At future conventions, perhaps a group pic could be taken with people holding up their names in front of them for the rest of us who might not be attending and especially for those who are newer.

Thanks,

Delene

I can help with the names in this group picture:

Shade Tree group

1st row kneeling (l to r)

Me

Knight Phantom

cybersal

2nd row (l to r)

Beejay

phanphorlife

Texas Gramma

Lady Elissa

stacie-in-nebraska

3rd row (l to r)

Songbird

Janice (sp?)

Dr. Em.

RandomLanda

The Blonde

Erin (daughter of Lady Elissa)

GEMSTONE

Back row (l to r)

Diane

Jenni St. Giles

MareksLadyD

Bella

Hello to all the FAB -U- LOUS GALS out there!!!

Vegas was "gorgeous"!!!!

:vegasbaby:

Firstly,

To Dayna, Jen, Susan, Katie, Holly, KB, Landa and all the other wonderful Gals who gave of their time and talents to make this years convention such a "fierce" time! This being my first time (yes, I WAS a Vegas virgin!), I had a fantastic experience and I am looking forward to attending next year! You made me feel very welcome and part of the FANMILY and I thank all of you lovely GALS out there for that!

Secondly,

To Susan for matching GALS with such a wonderful charity. I don't know how much money in total was raised at the con, but judging by the bids for all the items in the raffles and auction it must have really tipped the scales!

Thirdly,

To all the GALS that I had the pleasure of meeting. You are all godesses!!! Paisleyscot, Binks, Snap, Deetz, Poppy, and Lugerry... :yourock: FYI...I am punishing my evil liver as I am writing this!!! :spit:

And finally,

To Gerry.....just because you are you!!! :hehe:

Much love and snogs to all,

Raz

I bought a big plastic jar today and labeled it my "Gerry Jar" I'm going to put all my change in it to contribute to my expenses I will be there in 2010...I can't wait to meet the GALS...

Thanks,

Delene

I can help with the names in this group picture:

Shade Tree group

1st row kneeling (l to r)

Me

Knight Phantom

cybersal

2nd row (l to r)

Beejay

phanphorlife

Texas Gramma

Lady Elissa

stacie-in-nebraska

3rd row (l to r)

Songbird

Janice (sp?)

Dr. Em.

RandomLanda

The Blonde

Erin (daughter of Lady Elissa)

GEMSTONE

Back row (l to r)

Diane

Jenni St. Giles

MareksLadyD

Bella

Thanks so much, Susan. :wave:

D

To all the GALS that I had the pleasure of meeting. You are all godesses!!! Paisleyscot, Binks, Snap, Deetz, Poppy, and Lugerry... :yourock: FYI...I am punishing my evil liver as I am writing this!!! :spit:

:dancer::fall::yahoo::naughty: HAHAHAAH :funnyup::pointy::spit:

I will be partaking as well this weekend for the 4th sooo -- WOOT!! LOL

Big HUGS

B

I don't know if everyone has Southwest Airlines service from your airport, but usually in January or Feb they run specials to Las Vegas, sometimes as low as $99 one way.

(TheBlonde @ Jun 30 2009, 09:21 AM)

I have my empty penny jar labeled for 2010.

You hiding it from dear ole' hubby??!

You are SOOO funny! Get this chick a mike.

Oh why thanks!! *Jenny takes a bow* I just remember Landa saying, "Greg's gonna kill her!!" Ha!! :spit:

Heyyyyy that twasnt me!

Thanks,

Delene

Hi! I'm Jenny!! :wave: (top left pic is me)

Heyyyyy that twasnt me!

Ohhh! Sorry. Must've been another Landa.

NOT!! ;)

I am definately well over due for a holiday and long to return to the States after my first visit some 17 years ago. I will be lining up to register for the 2010 convention as I couldn't think of a better way than spending time meeting lots of new GALfriends and then going off catching up with friends I havent seen in years.

And Swannie, I am will be right behind you in the line for gluten free food!

Must save, must save (heaps!)

Sally :wave:

Sally, prior to this year's convention I inquired about my dietary issues for the catered Convention dinners. The hotel could accommodate my gluten free needs for those nights, but the problem is eating all other meals in the various restaurants. I know it sounds crazy, but even a speck of gluten makes me very ill. Unless restaurants have specific gluten free meals, you run the risk of cross contamination in food preparation, even if there is no wheat or gluten in specific dishes.

Fortunately, more and more restaurants are providing gluten free menu options, but it's still not a common practice. I'm hoping for the best.

Swannie

Can we cook for you in your room, Swannie? I would try to help if that would work? Save me a place in line at the registration table. I so want to be there again next year. I just hope that I can save enough money between now and then to pay my costs. Last year and this year have been such wonderful turning points in my life. I can't wait until next year. Count me in girls. JADE

:wuv: I would love to help out in creating next years convention. I have been to two, and it just amazes me what goes on in the planning

Sally, prior to this year's convention I inquired about my dietary issues for the catered Convention dinners. The hotel could accommodate my gluten free needs for those nights, but the problem is eating all other meals in the various restaurants. I know it sounds crazy, but even a speck of gluten makes me very ill. Unless restaurants have specific gluten free meals, you run the risk of cross contamination in food preparation, even if there is no wheat or gluten in specific dishes.

Fortunately, more and more restaurants are providing gluten free menu options, but it's still not a common practice. I'm hoping for the best.

Swannie

Can we cook for you in your room, Swannie? I would try to help if that would work? Save me a place in line at the registration table. I so want to be there again next year. I just hope that I can save enough money between now and then to pay my costs. Last year and this year have been such wonderful turning points in my life. I can't wait until next year. Count me in girls. JADE

Awwwwww, that is so sweet of you! I'm thinking by next year at this time, I'll be so much better. Maybe I won't be as gluten sensitive as I am now. I'm sure that if I work with the different restaurants at the Hilton, we'll figure something out!

I hope you can work out your financial strategy and be there, Jade!

Swannie

My son graduates from HS next June and I really hope the convention is not the same weekend, although I have a sinking feeling it will be since it was this year. Any chance it would be either earlier or later next year? I really want to go but of course family comes first. Then it's fan-mily!

My son graduates from HS next June and I really hope the convention is not the same weekend, although I have a sinking feeling it will be since it was this year. Any chance it would be either earlier or later next year? I really want to go but of course family comes first. Then it's fan-mily!

Reg,

we could go together. I am planning on going. Hopefully my job will let me.

You know you can count me, Mom (RezzRN aka Naoma) and Samantha in, along with the WALL. We would like to do a workshop next year for those of you who need help creating a page.

Any ideas about a theme yet? Gotta go shopping you know:)

Char

You know you can count me, Mom (RezzRN aka Naoma) and Samantha in, along with the WALL. We would like to do a workshop next year for those of you who need help creating a page.

Any ideas about a theme yet? Gotta go shopping you know:)

Char

Go shopping?? Oh yeah!! Check out all the bargains & have a BLAST doing so. As soon as there are definite dates, I'm on the hunt for airfare!! I even have a jar marked, "VEGAS MONEY $$". Drop $5 in each week. As long as nothing happens financially, I won't be touching the funds there!!!

WHOO HOOO!!

The Divine Miss S :rose:

Exactly, must find BARGAINS!

I am bringing a Vegas VIRGIN with me next year. She is my babysitter LOL so I am just keeping money out of her pay each week for her so she has savings for next year.

There is definitely an idea for next year's theme, we tossed it around the Sunday after this year's was over as we were sitting in the car at the bank to deposit all that cash from the raffles and auctions!! However, since Dayna's return home her focus has had to be on family and the loss of her mom so we aren't even talking Vegas plans right now. Maybe in a few weeks we'll be putting our heads together and will be able to firm up whether we are going to go with that first idea we had. I know I still like it and I think others will too. Timing of the convention will likely be in June again, but we won't know which weekend until things can be firmed up with the hotel and sometimes we don't get that until near the end of the year. Unfortunately that means every single year a few people miss out because of graduations that happen the same time.

It is always great to see the enthusiasm for the next convention after each one is finished and hopefully finances and jobs will allow more people to attend next year than this.

I hope everyone gets to come next year. This year was so great. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a Phantom theme for 2010, but I will be there no matter what!

Sara