Gerard Butler GALS

Phantom Documentary

Emily-MacKenzie was kind enough to give us the links for youtube. All 9 parts of the BBC Channel 2 documentary are here: http://www.gerardbutlergals.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1363237

Let's watch and discuss!

Deb~ Erik's Steadfast Warrior, Protector of the Master's Ring, Writer of Love Letters

Posted Image

I just watched the first one and of course, to me the back story about Phantom is fascinating! I love the description, "the Phantom is sex on legs!" Hahahahaah! boy, is he ever!

Anyway, I'm going out for the day but will watch more later, because I'm absolutely addicted to all things Phantom!

Swannie

I actually found this on youtube by myself on accident and watched it a few weeks ago...and LOVED IT!! Its a phenominal documentary on the show and how the creative process of its developement occured in the span of just a few short years...its truly remarkable. Its even better than the documentary on the 2 disc dvd addition of the movie...and that one was fantastic also....so lol, that says something in my book. :p

The thing I appreciated most about this documentary was the very close attention to detail....and I dunno really made the show seem as epic as it truly is, which I love!

I recommend any true POTO phan to check it out....it adds up to around 90 minutes,give or take, its wonderful...watch it. :D

Edited by AngelofMusic

I also wish that more had been said about Steve Barton, but sadly the character of Raoul is often neglected, even though there would be no love triangle without him. From what I’ve heard of Steve Barton, he sounded wonderful, and I personally liked his voice the best out of the three Original London Cast. I also enjoyed listening to Patrick Wilson. It was a good documentary, but too much attention on Sarah and Michael, even though it is understandable with Sarah because ALW composed the opera for her. Like Sarah or not, without her there would be no ALW Broadway musical known as the Phantom of the Opera. But I still wish more had been said about Steve Barton.

I also wish that more had been said about Steve Barton, but sadly the character of Raoul is often neglected, even though there would be no love triangle without him. From what I’ve heard of Steve Barton, he sounded wonderful, and I personally liked his voice the best out of the three Original London Cast. I also enjoyed listening to Patrick Wilson. It was a good documentary, but too much attention on Sarah and Michael, even though it is understandable with Sarah because ALW composed the opera for her. Like Sarah or not, without her there would be no ALW Broadway musical known as the Phantom of the Opera. But I still wish more had been said about Steve Barton.

Well, in my opinion, there can't be enough attention on Michael. (Die hard MC fan) But, I agree - Steve Barton contributed a great deal to the production and he was such a kind and down-to-earth gentleman. There is a little unknown story that a year later in 1987, after Michael Crawford had to go into hospital after coming down with a case of hiatal hernia - Steve Barton tried to take over for him. But unfortuantely on the very first night he was to go on, during the Masquerade scene where the Phantom is seen going back down to the underworld, the trapdoor fell out from under him a bit and when he landed, he had basically landed so hard it damaged his knee caps. Understandably, he had to stop and as a favour to him (and as no other understudy was available for the role), Michael Crawford came back to help him out. Even at the risk of worsening his own health. But that initial accident for Steve, resulted in him suffering from chronic knee pain for the rest of his life and just before he was to begin work in Germany in "Jekyll and Hyde" in 2001 - he suffered a massive heart attack, the result of weakened heart muscle due to the pain medications he had been taking for so many years.

But I feel he will be remembered just as much as Michael & Sarah for their work - in my mind, they are the ultimate trio for that show. :)

Edited by Emily-Mackenzie

I have now seen all 9 videos. OMG, I enjoyed that so much! Now I'm all crushy on MC's Phantom again. I about fell out of my chair when Jillian was talking about the Phantom's sexuality. She describes the scene in MOTN, when he backs up and grabs hold of the grill and Christine kind brushes her body against him, and then he gets *aroused* only Jillian used the E word, mentioning that Christine must have felt it... which his why she backs way from him!

It is obvious that once this show started coming together, the Phantom's highly sexual persona was key to ALW's production. I've said before, when I saw the show for the first time back in the early 90's with MC, the women in the audience were breathless or panting every time they heard his voice and with each of his scenes on stage.

I'm really crushy now. Got that kind oogly googly feeling.

I'm gonna watch the whole thing again!

Swannie

I watched all 9 parts last night. The musical and how it came to be was incredible!! Just think if it

never had come to pass!! I think Michael Crawford was wondeful, and I always liked Sarah's voice--

albeit it on the "light" side, but that made her more believable as a very young girl, at least to me.

As for the behind the scenes stuff--it always ends up being about $$, who is more bankable, and all

of that. MC was "different"--he had a voice that was not the usual stage trained voice. I think that

made for a good Phantom.

Thanks so much for giving us this link for this very interesting documentary.

J.

I watched all 9 parts last night. The musical and how it came to be was incredible!! Just think if it

never had come to pass!! I think Michael Crawford was wondeful, and I always liked Sarah's voice--

albeit it on the "light" side, but that made her more believable as a very young girl, at least to me.

As for the behind the scenes stuff--it always ends up being about $$, who is more bankable, and all

of that. MC was "different"--he had a voice that was not the usual stage trained voice. I think that

made for a good Phantom.

Thanks so much for giving us this link for this very interesting documentary.

J.

Oh, I'm glad everyone liked it!