Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Swansong

TUT Box Office

Good to see TUT is before Harry Potter. :pointy:

Thank you for the links. :)

Those early numbers are pretty good!!! I cross my fingers for $30 million at the end of the weekend.

Thank you for posting this Swannie! I was hoping TUT would land somewhere between 25-30 million for opening weekend, it looks like it may be on track to do that, which is terrific. And very good for Gerry!

Thanks for posting Swannie,

This is such good news after all the negative reviews (my girls kept pointing them out). I don't pay any attention to critics. It's not easy to get big box office numbers in the summer, with new movies coming out every week.

WendyM :cheer:

I am happy to hear the numbers. After reading all the reviews I was worried.

Gerry is finally being recognized, as he should have been for some time now. I hear a lot of my friends mention him by name now, who didn't know who he was back in the Attila and Dracula 2000 days when I began my lust affair with him, LOL.

This is wonderful news!

I am not surprised when I read how fans are paying to see TUT 3 or 4 or more times! Bet most of the other movies don't have that happening.

Go Gerry and Rob!

G Force got pretty bad reviews too. Harry Potter got great reviews last weekend and yet I’ve been hearing many fans are disappointed in the latest installment. So who knows?

I'm thrilled to bits I wil be seeing it again and it is a good movie IMHO, and judging by the laughter and packed theater as well as diversity in the crowd I'm talking men/women/young/old/couples/groups/ and all racial ethnicities,they definitely have a bonafide hit on their hands!!!

Swansong, thanks so much for the links! Wonderful that TUT is such a box-office success. Who cares about the critics, most of them apparently just are not able to get this kind of movie, LOL? Washington Post review was a really wonderful exception. What counts more than those negative critics, I have understood, is the fact that on Twitter (I did a search for The Ugly Truth and another one for Gerard Butler) and youtube there has been masses of positive (actually enthusiastic would be a more accurate word) comments about the movie and Gerard.

Edited by Skatingfan03

This is GREAT!! I hope they get the 30 mil by the end of the week-end. I know I will do my part by going more than once.

~HUGS~ Kathy

Box Office Mojo have TUT with a $27million weekend in 3rd place

Movie Budget $38 million

Harry Potter and G Force will probably have much bigger budgets but have only made a few million more this weekend

Edited by suse

I'd like to know how much it took in last weekend with the previews because everywhere seemed sold out.

Even though it is 3rd $27 mil is very respectable - some films opening at #1 dont even get that amount. It's the summer and kids are going to the movies so it was obvious G-Force and HP would do well. TUT is a good alternative.

Gerry and all concerned should be very happy.

Moira

I honestly wanted to see The Ugly Truth blow Harry Potter out of the water & that it did. Hey I love Harry Potter & I saw it opening day but I love Gerry & Rob. I would love to see TUT again. I know Swannie & I have been able to tweet with Rob this afternoon. He seems to be in good spirits. I bet Gerry is too!

:yahoo:

I am very happy. It's came out just as I speculated, ranking-wise.

BTW, congratulations on the R&K shout-out. I knew it was you as soon as Gerry started talking.

Sharon

And just think it hasn't opened oversees yet!!!! The Uk and Asian markets might take this over the top!!! We are not finished here domestically yet and then there a DVD and soundtrack sales too.I'm so happy for Gerry and Katherine and all the cast and crew.I feel like a proud mama I just read some of the reviews for the first time ever and I never read those.It is one of those things that is too subjective.How do you know what looks and sonunds good to me,humans are too complex for that give me break.Naysayers you make my day!!!!

This is very good news indeed, very solid numbers when you consider the overall budget for the movie, it will make lots of money for Sony, and by the time you factor world wide release and DVD...well everyone should be very happy. This is very good for Gerry! I have to say this too, I saw him out and about far more then Katherine Heigl promoting the movie.(She might have been limited by her TV show’s schedule) But Gerry was like the Energizer Bunny he kept going and going...so he deserves a lot of credit for the movie’s success as well.

I hope that outside of the USA TUT does do well .

You may remember that PS I Love did not have great numbers in the USA $45million but did spectacularly well in the UK and Germany and fairly well in Japan.The foreign box office eventually being double that of the USA, bringing the movie in at a very repectable $156 million

Katherine does not seem as well known outside the USA, so Gerry may well add considerable value to TUT in other countries.

Edited by suse

I saw an article that said TUT opened in 1000 less theaters opening weekend than The Proposal (because of the Harry Potter film taking in two theaters in one cineplex). Anyway, The Proposal did just over $30 million it's first weekend with alot more screens. So the overall projection according to Coming Attractions is after 4 weeks TUT will pull in over 100 million!!!! If TUT does well this weekend (which we know it did - getting over the 22 million hump) then it will gain more screens for next weekend. Projection of US box office are $144 million. Note: that is just US box office.

Sweet!

Nay sayers and those that gave TUT bad reviews...stick this in your ear!!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eonline/20090726/en_movies_eo/136097

Visit This Website

Los Angeles (E! Online) – So, was Izzie's fate sealed by Katherine Heigl's weekend?

Heigl, whose ultimate future on Grey's Anatomy is one of the small screen's great questions, proved her big-screen worth yet again with an estimated $27 million Friday-Sunday debut for The Ugly Truth.

The romantic comedy, pairing Heigl with 300's Gerard Butler, took third in the box-office standings behind the guinea-pig-powered comedy G-Force ($32.2 million) and the still-big, but somewhat-sapped Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince ($30 million).

Here are some more factoids for Heigl to drop within earshot of an ABC exec:

• Not that Heigl or her team need the reminder, but The Ugly Truth is now the year's third-biggest-bowing romantic comedy behind Sandra Bullock's The Proposal and the all-star He's Just Not That Into You.

• To put that previous factoid another way, Heigl opened a movie bigger than romantic-comedy stalwarts Kate Hudson (Bride Wars), Matthew McConaughey (Ghosts of Girlfriends Past) and Renée Zellweger (New in Town).

• As a reminder, Heigl is back at work on Grey's sixth season. But the star to whom the adjective outspoken is typically applied isn't saying what shape her health-challenged character is in.

• Harry Potter's ticket sales were off 61 percent from its opening weeked. If estimates hold, that fall will go down as the franchise's second biggest plunge.

• In the not-great news department, the Harry Potter with the franchise's biggest drop, Prisoner of Azaban, is also the franchise's lowest-grossing movie to date.

• In the not-bad news department, the "lowest-grossing" Prisoner of Azaban made nearly $250 million domestically.

• In the terribly good news department, Half-Blood Prince, after just two weekends, is already at $221.8 million.

• The horror movie Orphan, the weekend's other major new release, grossed a respectable $12.8 million for a fourth-place bow.

• How low can Brüno go? The Sacha Baron Cohen comedy was down 67 percent from last weekend's near-historic dive, and clung to a Top 10 finish, with a $2.7 million take.

• After three weekends, Brüno has $56.5 million in the domestic bank—a number that would look bigger if Cohen's Borat wasn't already well on its way to $100 million in the same time frame.

• Up exits the Top 10 after eight weekends, and a $283.6 million haul that puts it behind only Finding Nemo on the formidable list of all-time Disney/Pixar grossers.

Here's a complete look at the weekend's top-grossing films based on Friday-Sunday estimates as compiled by Exhibitor Relations:

• G-Force, $32.2 million • Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, $30 million • The Ugly Truth, $27 million • Orphan, $12.8 million • Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs, $8.2 million • Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, $8 million • The Hangover, $6.5 million • The Proposal, $6.4 million • Public Enemies, $4.2 million • Brüno, $2.7 million (Originally published July 26, 2009, at 9:17 a.m. PT

Doin' the spazzy dance!!!

Once the Sunday receipts are in, The Ugly Truth will likely break the $30 million mark. Third in the top ten!! None too shabby, IMHO!!

• To put that previous factoid another way, Heigl opened a movie bigger than romantic-comedy stalwarts Kate Hudson (Bride Wars), Matthew McConaughey (Ghosts of Girlfriends Past) and Renée Zellweger (New in Town).

Whoo hoo!!! Good for her! She's the better of all those actors put together (including Sandra Bullock).

I'm happy that it's in third. I was hoping for second, but it is summer and that's kid movie territory. That's okay; third is awesome.