Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Swansong

Compare Gerry's voice with MC's

POTO Phans...this is incredible. Someone made a trio of MOTN with the voices of Gerry, Michael and Sarah.

Hear for yourself how Gerry sounds in comparison to these 2 classically trained singers. Gerry's voice, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh......

enjoy and comment!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZoAhvcga5A

Gerry's voice was a stand out! I MUCH prefer his singing to MC! However, this was a clever idea and a beautiful vid.

Suzie

This is wonderful Swannie!

Gerry's voice is magnificent! I prefer his over MC anyday. He's so talented.

Cheryl

This was a fascinating comparison. I always loved MC on the Broadway soundtrack and listened over and over since I first saw the play back in the 80's. Hearing them so close together I now realize that I love Gerry's interpretations even more in some ways so now will have to download Gerry to my Ipod!! Thanks for showing me the light!

:wuv:I just watched this video patiently because I am on dial-up sooo it took a long time to finally watch it and LOVED it! I even shared it on another fansite. I also commented that it puts Gerard's voice right up there with the best of them. Thank-you for this link...

I thought the combo was awesome! I love the way Gerry holds his own up against the other trained singers. He should be proud of what he did. I hadn't listened to POTO lately and this reminded me of how well he sounded. (sigh) I read and commented on youtube. I think it's funny he is compared to a professional trained singer. That says a lot right there. Michael has a wonderful voice and as so many point out he has sang the song night after night after night and Gerry still sounds the part better to me.

Not to take away Michael's fantastic voice, but, Gerry's voice fits the character best. (IMHO)

Sally

This is wonderful Swannie!

Gerry's voice is magnificent! I prefer his over MC anyday. He's so talented.

Cheryl

Take that you [bleep - bleep] critics!!!

I commented on face book you should share this with the Gals! Thanks again...I said it before that Gerrys voice is the stronger voice when it comes to MC...I said MC has a nice voice but he didn't make me sit up and take notice like out guy did!! Well....it wasn't just the singing ya know.. actually when all the negativity was put out there about Gerrys singing I felt then and I still do someone was behind it because of MC not getting the part!

:wave: Frannie

I think that he has the voice that brings true emotions. He surpasses MC by a mile. :whome2:

I'm not being predjudice (sp) but Mr G voice was the better of the two for the character. Richer, deeper, more emotions reflected in the voice. He "enhanced" the character of the Phantom to me.

JMHO!

The Divine Miss S :rose:

I have only seen Gerry as the Phantom besides little clips from other performances.. and I have to say, he has pretty much ruined the role for anyone else...lol For me personally, no one will be able to match the performance he gave. You can literally almost feel Erik's pain in Gerry's singing. But that is just IMO.

I do not mean that the other actors who have portrayed the Phantom are not talented or didn't do the role justice, just that I might be a little biased :)

Thanks for posting the video as well. I haven't seen it before now. I like the way they blended everything to show the differences and how Gerry sounded amazing next to the trained stage voices.

Very interesting comparison. I have always thought that MC,s voice was a little tight and high. I remember him in Hello Dolly (yes, I am that old!) and never thought he was that good of a singer or actor. I think GB was miles better, not only in voice quality (more of a baritone than tenor, which I prefer) but much more emotional in his singing. The critics were way out of line on Phantom. It was and is a fantastic film and still my favorite GB movie. Now if we want to talk trained BARITONE singer who I adore, let's talk about Bryn Terfel...........................As some critic said "a voice in a billion". Love him, love him.

The POTO is very important to me as it is what brought me to Gerry. Sarah and Michael are very beautiful singers but comparing Michael or even John Cudia, whom I have seen twice, to Gerry I have to say that Gerry brings the passion and the power of the character over the others. Even just listening to the voices, Gerry exudes sensuality, vulnerability and sex appeal though his singing without even seeing him.

As I listened to each voice, it was unmistakable which one I thought was the best because the hairs on the back of my neck stood up when Gerry sang and the sensation traveled down my spine. You might say I'm biased but Gerry's voice reaches down and grabs your soul. I wish he would consider doing Phantom on Broadway just once. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the entire cast did? You can bet I'd be there come hell or high water!

I love it that Gerry seems to be so proud of that role and well he should be! He'll always be the Phantom to me.

Thanks Swannie!

D

I have been meaning to post my thoughts on the subject at hand, but in my laxity others have stated it already.

You all know how I feel about Gerry's portrayal of Erik. To me, there will never be another who conveys Erik's soul like he did.

It makes my heart happy to know that Gerry still feels a kinship to Erik, and I hope that he no longer feels the sting of the critics; only the love that we have given him. I sincerely hope that ALW reunites with Joel and Gerry for the sequel on film.

Edited by Knight Phantom

Since I never saw a play, I did not feel right in answering at first. I heard some video's of MC and thought his voice was a bit tinny. I have always loved Gerry's voice, even though I am a classical trained musician and he is not. There is just something so special about how he gets his whole heart into the Phantom role and into the songs. Definitely a baritone is Gerry, and much better suited for Phantom. But this, well it renews my first impression, his voice is perfect for this role. :tens::phantom2:

Anne

I had my husband, who is not biased like me about Gerry, listen to this video. I let him know when Gerry was singing and when Michael was singing. Afterwards I asked him which voice he liked better. As he walked away he said. " That's easy, Gerry's voice was much better". I know that was painful for him to say but he is an honest man. Of course, I agree with him. Stage singers are used to singing loud and strong to get to the last row in a theater and they aren't known for beautiful soft and emotional singing. I saw a lot of the POTO stage play with Michael on TV and it was totally different in style than the movie. I didn't like it because stage actors overact in a unnatural way. Gerry's voice and acting was perfect for the film version of POTO and he brought more masculinity to the role which was lacking in Michael's performance. IMO!!

~HUGS~ Kathy

Great video comparing the three of them. Thanks for sharing it. The only thing that would have made it better is putting Emmy in there. :lol:

Michael's voice and Gerry's voice are so different from each other, I'm not sure you can actually compare them. Gerry's voice touches my soul more (it did from the beginning) but that is purely a personal reaction and has nothing to do with who might be technically a better singer. I've always preferred singers with a lower range so I'm more drawn to someone that's a baritone vs a tenor. I love the slightly less refined edge to Gerry's voice throughout the whole movie. For me, the raw emotion in his voice is more evident. I can feel his performance more, if that makes sense. But I'm not criticizing Michael's version. The two of them are just truly very very different.

I would have loved to have seen Michael on the stage. I've heard his performance was always breathtaking. But Gerry, you stole my heart as the Phantom and I still have no plans on giving it back. :kisswink: I was glad to read that Phantom was the first movie he mentioned in the Esquire article. I enjoy thinking that the role of Phantom had a profound effect on him as well. It certainly did me.

Can I just say .......... ^ what they all said! It's the way he put his heart and soul into the music....you could hear when he was crying inside and when he was furious....It's called living the part...To me he wasn't Gerry acting...he was The Phantom of the Opera!

:wave: Frannie

It's funny you said that Frannie.

When I see Gerry on screen......I don't think of it as him. He IS the character. They're all individual people. While they may have some characteristics in common with him......they're not him. Whenever I discuss a role, I always refer to the character, not Gerry.

They're all so unique and special......the Phantom, Gerry Kennedy, Johnnie Donne, the Stranger, One Two, Mikey etc. Gerry gives them their heart.

Ren

The sign of a good actor is when you forget the actor and just see the character. That is why so many people don't recognize Gerry when they see him. But when you tell them the roles he played they say, "That was him"? He becomes the character to the extent that he changes his look. It's fascinating to watch. He did that in POTO. He changed before our eyes depending on the scene.

~HUGS~ Kathy

Edited by Forbes girl

Ok this is going to sound crazy but I just saw Gerry singing from TPOTO on some Youtube clips & all I have to say is OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG! :doh:

Yes I know I am crazy for never seeing him in this movie but I didn't even know he made it. LOL It's from 2004 so cut me a little slack here, I was not up on GB back then.

WOW he sounded amazing for not being a professional singer & training just for this movie, omg I have to rent it this week & watch it with my mom she will die when she hears him sing.

How totally amazing is he!

BTW Emmy Rosseum is gorgeous & what a voice, perfect Christine for sure! ;)

Ok this is going to sound crazy but I just saw Gerry singing from TPOTO on some Youtube clips & all I have to say is OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG! :doh:

This one??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCl-p97GOIM

Raaaaaaawwwwwwwwwrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!

I commented on it! ;)

Liisa, I thought I was the last one to see POTO. I saw it for the first time in April of 2008 on TV. My dream is to see it on the big screen before I croak. :wave: However, I still think it is the most beautiful movie I have ever seen. I never tire of watching it. I would suggest you buy it rather than rent it, as you will want to watch it over and over again. :phantom2:

Anne