Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
AbandonThought

Article on Gerry in Esquire

So Gerry is on the cover of Esquire for August. Beautiful picture- http://www.esquire.com/cover-detail?year=2009&month=8; beautiful article- http://www.esquire.com/features/gerard-butler-interview-0809.

In particular, I got emotional when I was reading Gerry's story about how unhappy he was in law and how he got into acting...

"The guy playing the lead role was phenomenal. It was such an incredible atmosphere. And I'm dying inside. This is the life I wanted to live. I can do this. I know I can do this. But it's past now. It's gone. I'm twenty-five. I missed that opportunity. A week later, they fire me."

I burst out crying when I read that quote. I'm 24 and in law school. Drowning in law school is more like it. I don't have a secret desire to be an actor, but that quote is almost exactly what I say to myself on a daily basis. The law is not for me; it's such bullshit. But, I feel stuck now. One year in, thousands of dollars in debt... I at least have to finish my degree. I feel so locked into a life that I'm not sure I want anymore. I have so many interests, and so many alternate life paths that I envision I could have taken. Would I be happier if I had chosen something else? Life is so empty right now.

I've learned from Gerry that it's never too late to change if you're not happy... but I feel like I at least have to finish school, get the degree, and then I can take a different path if I want to. It's just not in my nature to quit.

Until then, I'll continue drowning in law school, and allowing Gerry to rescue me nightly in my dreams...

Dear AbandonThought,

This brought back so many memories for me.. You see, I was stuck in Law School a few years ago too. I never wanted to be a lawyer but my family had high hopes and so I went into that field.

I was miserable and in debt up to my neck after a year as well. I just reached a point where I couldn't take it anymore and I ended up quitting. It was the most difficult decision of my entire life and probably one of my darkest periods! I left school for 6 months. Went to do odd jobs, flipping burgers, etc.. After 6 months I went back to school. I had no idea what I wanted to do, so I thought I'd go in political science. I did get a degree in that field and another one in journalism and foreign languages.

To this day I have never regretted my choice to quit Law. And my family understood after a while and today they agree that it just wasn't what I was supposed to do. I now work as a press attaché. I write speeches, press releases, organise public events for a politician. Although I do like parts of my jobs, it's also very demanding and stressfull. I'm now working on becoming a writer, something I should have been doing all my life since it's a passion. But you know what.. I don't regret my past experiences. If anything, it taught me that life is a succession of trials and mistakes and that we learn and grow from each one of them. In the end, you get to know yourself and then you can work on making your dreams and aspirations come true. Gerry realised it sooner than most of us and actually reached out to make his own dreams come true. And he succeeded!

Danielle

Gerry is such an inspiration in so many ways!

I was always one of those people with big ideas about what I was going to do with the rest of my life. Law school is just a means to an end; I never wanted to be a lawyer, per se... I'm just here because I want to work for the FBI, and it's easier to get recruited if you have a law degree. So the fact that I'm not actually going to work in law simultaneously helps me and hurts me. At least I can tell myself that I won't be doing it for the rest of my life, but then I also have those days where I stop and think: "What the F*$% am I doing here?!"

The big problem is that lately I've even begun questioning my chosen career with the FBI... is it really what I want? Will I really be happy? I have such a diversity of interests and there are so many things that fascinate me in the world... I think the thought of settling into any one particular path would freak me out. I think I'm just a wandering soul... Ideally, I'd spend my whole life in school just collecting degrees in the things that fascinate me. Unfortunately, nobody pays you to do that, and I'm NOT independently wealthy. Sigh.

I just dream of a different kind of life. Always. No matter what path I'm on or where I'm headed...

Oh Gerry, what have you done to me?