Gerard Butler GALS

Blog on plot of Law Abiding Citizen

framolamdu

http://teaser-trailer.com/2009/08/law-abid...izen-movie.html

Gerard Butler and Jamie Foxx are the two lead stars of Law Abiding Citizen, an upcoming drama thriller film directed by F. Gary Gray. The film is about a prosecutor who tries to hinder a man from orchestrating a well-organized revenge place. The Law Abiding Citizen movie is set to to hit theaters on October 16, 2009.

Plot:

“Clyde Shelton (Gerard Butler) is an upstanding family man whose wife and daughter are brutally murdered during a home invasion. When the killers are caught, Nick Rice (Jamie Foxx), a hotshot young Philadelphia prosecutor, is assigned to the case. Over his objections, Nick is forced by his boss to offer one of the suspects a light sentence in exchange for testifying against his accomplice.

Fast forward ten years. The man who got away with murder is found dead and Clyde Shelton coolly admits his guilt. Then he issues a warning to Nick: Either fix the flawed justice system that failed his family, or key players in the trial will die.

Soon Shelton follows through on his threats, orchestrating from his jail cell a string of spectacularly diabolical assassinations that can be neither predicted nor prevented. Philadelphia is gripped with fear as Shelton’s high-profile targets are slain one after another and the authorities are powerless to halt his reign of terror. Only Nick can stop the killing, and to do so he must outwit this brilliant sociopath in a harrowing contest of wills in which even the smallest misstep means death. With his own family now in Shelton’s crosshairs, Nick finds himself in a desperate race against time facing a deadly adversary who seems always to be one step ahead.”

I can understand why Clyde Shelton (Gerard Butler) would want revenge. But our society is based on law. We can’t afford to allow vengeful people to do as they want even when they would be in their right. If we did it would break the very basis of our democratic society. So let’s hope that Shelton won’t be able to carry out his revenge for the sake of the society, but that real justice will be brought.

Interesting stuff.

Moira

Let's cross out fingers that this movie is accepted & enjoyed by the general movie going public. The plot, IMHO, is good. I'd rent it. I'd probably go see it with another person. It's going to be good to see Mr. G portray a character that's considered "the villain." Different from past parts he taken on. I believe that this will show he can play in a very wide variety of roles & genres well.

October won't be here soon enough for the number of GALS here!!! Here's to an Oscar or Golden Globe nomination!!!! With the way politics play a major role in the selection of movies awarded, I don't see a win for this movie. But, Mr G , Jaimie Fox, F Gary Gray and the others may just blow everyone away with this film & garner the much desired recognition that accompanies receiving the award(s).

The Divine Miss S :rose:

Yes this is interesting! It was interesting that the writer felt compelled to put in his two cents worth about citizen vigilantes.

In a society where the system is so flawed that it can be easily worked and manipulated by both criminals and those that are suppose to uphold the laws, the vigilante might seem more of a hero. The uncertainty and fear that could be struck in the minds of the criminal element that they could have the misfortune to encounter such an individual might not be such a bad thing. It might just send the message out to those inclined to break the law, that there's that chance, when they are considering commiting a crime against someone, that it just might be the wrong person to have messed with that day?

Sounds to me as if Clyde had already commited several acts of vengence and in order for it to stop, his wishes have to be met. Hopefully his killing spree is directed at the bad guys and no innocent victims are caught up in it as surely this would mean, yet again, Gerry may have to die!

Interesting too, how vehement this commentator was about expressing his opinion of upholding the law and not yielding to acts of vigilante!

I'm gonna love this movie!

D

It might not be just from this brief description, some time ago, the whole script was available for downloading, he might have read it. :wave::wave::wave:

I am REALLY looking forward to this film very much!!!

Edited by Donnie

In a society where the system is so flawed that it can be easily worked and manipulated by both criminals and those that are suppose to uphold the laws, the vigilante might seem more of a hero. The uncertainty and fear that could be struck in the minds of the criminal element that they could have the misfortune to encounter such an individual might not be such a bad thing. It might just send the message out to those inclined to break the law, that there's that chance, when they are considering commiting a crime against someone, that it just might be the wrong person to have messed with that day?

That's a nice thought, and it'd be convenient if the world worked that way, but research shows that criminals don't do that sort of cost-benefit analysis before committing crimes. Basically, crime isn't rational. That's why capital punishment isn't a deterrent. Criminology major here.

That said, I love a good vigilante story. When the justice system fails, who's there to pick up the pieces? :)

That's a nice thought, and it'd be convenient if the world worked that way, but research shows that criminals don't do that sort of cost-benefit analysis before committing crimes. Basically, crime isn't rational. That's why capital punishment isn't a deterrent. Criminology major here.

That said, I love a good vigilante story. When the justice system fails, who's there to pick up the pieces? :)

That's amazing that actual research has been done on that very thing! I'm still trying to imagine how that type of research was conducted! Do they interview the criminal before he commits the crime or afterwards? :funnyup:

D

Why do I have a very bad feeling that Gerry will die in this movie? :unsure:

Anyway... I hope Clyde will get some form of revenge. I know he's the bad guy. But I just don't want him to be perceived as the bad guy from the beginning to the end of the movie. I hope there will be some kind of moral, other than just "He's the bad guy, he has to die."

Nothing justifies that he kills people, especially if he has to kill innocent people in the process. But we all know why he's doing that. And I hope the script won't be too judgmental.

I'm really looking forward to this movie. I like the synopsis, and I can't wait to see what route it will take.

I hope it will be a hit at the box office. *fingers crossed for the Oscars*

Edited by Novelistgirl

OK I'll say it again for the millionth time, this is going to be Gerry's shining glory. I would be seeing this movie even if Gerry was not in it, but the fact that he is, and plays the "brilliant sociopath" makes it even more desirable to see. I almost didn't read it because I didn't want to know too much, but it didn't say anything more than I didn't already know (well, one thing). And I have a feeling that no matter what, we'll be rooting for Clyde.

I still wish it wasn't being released so soon, but my hope is that it is well received and given good reviews. I want Gerry to have all the success in the world with this movie, as an actor and producer (even if he felt he was too producery).

And since we're expression opinions here (and I can't let that slide by), there are huge flaws in the system that do allow criminals to be released too soon and innocent people to suffer needlessly. Or even the not-so-innocent to suffer longer than they should and the truly heinous SOBs to get off too early.

I don't think LAC will change any laws or start any lobbying in congress or anything. All I hope for is a good story and Gerry's talent to smack TPTB square in the eyes.

Lisa