Gerard Butler GALS

Gerry's "long time" fans

I think it's great that Gerry fans made him #1 in the Hello poll, and I think at this time any press he gets that is fan based is good news. I think it's absolutely amazing what a "team" Gerry fans from many sites fielded for that poll. It's not really even a big deal, Gerry may not even know there was a poll. But, WE did, and because we want everything that's good for him there was a sincere desire for him to win.

But, what I'm wondering is, as STARS (which is what he will be very soon) move into a bigger career, is the fan base as important to them as it had been? After they become a well known name, and people go see movies because they know the name, does it even matter to them that there is a core group of people who really wish them well, with more interest that just a happenstance moviegoer? Fans who would go see them in ANYTHING.

I've been around since Dracula; watching, hoping, watching, hoping for his career to take off and here it is... a reality! Creators of gb.net and GALS have been around since Gerry was really nobody, and "touting him about" as someone to watch. How do you "foremothers" (?) feel, seeing him actually come into his own?

I'm sure different celebrities feel differently, but I guess I'm just looking for assurance that Gerry will recognize that his early fans have pulled for him every step of the way and are, to some degree, walking with him.

I feel a bit like I'm seeing someone I love pull out of my driveway and I'm waving goodbye and wishing them well as they are move far, far away. :depressed: and ::D:

I'm so happy for him... but there's a twinge of loss here. Understand?

I understand Stalow and I have wondered the same thing. I see Gerry as someone who really appreciates his fans. I don't see him just forgetting about those who really pulled for him to get where he is now.

I know exactly how you feel here.

I think Gerry's fans will always be important to him, but the more famous he becomes, the less personal attention he'll be able to give us. He won't forget us, but he'll have many more fans calling for his attention.

I obvioulsy want him to be successful, and would love for him to become a very marketable name, but I know that when that happens, we're going to lose him to a degree. I like the "pulling out of the driveway" comparison. That's great. I have that little twinge too, but want his hard work to pay off for him. He sooo deserves it!

I'm in agreement ... I don't think the fans will be forgotten at all, but he won't be as accessible (for reasons of practicality in the face of increased busy-ness, if nothing else). I've mentioned in another forum that I can completely imagine him doing the same thing Viggo Mortensen did: still available for autographs and pics in person, but no answers to fan mail. In fact, Viggo asked that people not *send* fan mail any more, because he had made himself a promise to personally answer each letter and the volume after LOTR made that impossible.

Gerry's very loyal fan base is quite important to him; that's very evident by the way he has talked about us when asked. Heck, Sturla Gunnarsson *thanked* us at the Palm Springs Film Festival. ::D: :beowulf:

Ok, here I go with a book again!!

Hmmmm, this is a bit tough to answer. I'm still somewhat of a "new" fan since I only discovered him last February. As I've said before, it wasn't that I had missed seeing him in a movie, I just hadn't seen any of those movies. I've never in my life followed anyones' career (other than renting their movies on Netflix) so this whole "fan" thing is a new phenomenon to me.

I can only imagine what it must be to have "gotten" the whole Gerry-thing a long time ago and realize that not all that many people really knew who he was. Frankly, many still don't really although they know some of the movies he's been in now. One of my good friends has followed him since Mrs. Brown and I've asked her how she didn't explode waiting to talk to someone else about him. Her excitement at being able to share and my over-the-top reaction has kept us both going for a long time.

Anyway, I guess it's a double-edged sword, this whole fame thing. The broader base you have of people that know you, the fewer of those people will get a chance to meet you and the more separate you have to keep yourself if only to keep personal safety in mind. I think what we've seen of Gerry so far, though, leads me to believe he will keep as much of himself out there for the public to see as he has in the past. While he has been open and honest about some pretty deep issues, there are parts that he keeps very private, and I respect him greatly for that. As more people get to know who he is, his actions will be up for much more scrutiny since not everyone that hears about him will love everything he does like we do. I think the hardest part for me will be to see other people criticize him for the very things that we love about him. It really is almost like watching your child learn to walk. You know you have to let go of their hand, but you can't stand to see them fall down and get hurt.

I think because of Gerry's maturity when he came to this career, he knows in his heart where his true fan base lies. He has the sense to understand this business and know what's real and what isn't. It will be fun to watch him soar but I, for one, will still be here no matter what. :inlove:

I had breakfast with a fellow fan this morning and we were talking about the whole "fame" issue. I said I really hope that as he gets more well known he doesn't become a name seen in the tabloids every week. I cannot tell you how sick to death I am of seeing Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise mentioned on the cover of every danged entertainment magazine AND tabloid out there. But then I thought, there are a lot of big stars that you never or rarely see mentioned in that way - Mel Gibson is one, Viggo is another...so it is possible for him to have his stardom and not be weekly tabloid fodder. Now, THAT is off the subject of his fans, I know...sorry about that.

Gerry strikes me as someone who will ALWAYS be grateful for the support of his fans, those who were around from the beginning and every one who joins the bandwagon subsequently. He will stay as accessible as he is able, but there will probably come a time (perhaps very soon) when that accessibility will be more difficult. We all must be understanding, and know that his safety and his well being have to come first over our desire to have contact with him. It probably doesn't sound fair for me to say that since I had my moment to meet him. I've vowed that should that opportunity come my way again I won't be standing in the line. I might go to a premiere and shout out a hello to him as he walks down the red carpet, but if there is to be a chance for people to meet him who haven't done so yet, I won't be standing in your way (and if I am just say to me - "you promised to get out of my way", OK?)

I don't plan on attending any Gerry talk shows/premieres so I guess the whole accesibility question isn't an

issue for me. As for forgetting his "long time" fans, I don't think he will. He may not be able to shake hands

or take pics with fans, but I don't think that means he likes them any less. It just comes down to safety, his

own and the fans. Now, If Gerry got super famous and started dating Paris Hilton I would be concerned. :boink:

But then I thought, there are a lot of big stars that you never or rarely see mentioned in that way - Mel Gibson is one, Viggo is another...so it is possible for him to have his stardom and not be weekly tabloid fodder. Now, THAT is off the subject of his fans, I know...sorry about that.

Gerry strikes me as someone who will ALWAYS be grateful for the support of his fans, those who were around from the beginning and every one who joins the bandwagon subsequently. He will stay as accessible as he is able, but there will probably come a time (perhaps very soon) when that accessibility will be more difficult. We all must be understanding, and know that his safety and his well being have to come first over our desire to have contact with him. It probably doesn't sound fair for me to say that since I had my moment to meet him. I've vowed that should that opportunity come my way again I won't be standing in the line. I might go to a premiere and shout out a hello to him as he walks down the red carpet, but if there is to be a chance for people to meet him who haven't done so yet, I won't be standing in your way (and if I am just say to me - "you promised to get out of my way", OK?)

Sporran - you have just as much right as all of Gerry's other fans to stand in line. I think it's a very noble thing, but I don't think it's necessary. The man has always taken as much time as he can with his fans, and I don't think that's going to change. I just think that the practicality issue that you and the others have mentioned is going to be more of a challenge. I hope that you do get to meet him again.

And I do think you're right that it is possible to be a star and a successful actor without being plastered on every page, billboard, and celebrity-gossip TV show ever. Honestly, I think that there are more than a few reasons why Gerry may not be this way. It seems like he really tries to pick movies that have more emotional parts and also to do smaller budget, yet poignant films that he really wants to do. And while we love them, and finally the critics are noticing (DF), I think that it'll still be awhile before Gerry's movies become popular enough with the general movie-going public that he becomes a household name. When he did TR2, that was a big movie, with Angelina Jolie...he did Phantom, which was Warner Brothers, Attila was all over cable, and I thought that after those he'd be HUGE. Yet somehow, that's not the case. Whenever I mention his name, no one knows who I'm talking about....I wander sometimes if he wants this sort of recognition or if he would rather be a little less known, but that's a question that only he could answer. Sometimes I think that European actors generally don't shoot for mega-stardom the way that Americans do, and I think it might be a better attitude...Fret not ladies, Gerry will NOT forget his fans, no matter how big he gets! :kisswink: :mopboybeowulf:

I've been a fan since January 30th 2001 approx: 9PM Eastern Standard Time.

(First time I saw Attila :;): )

I knew he had it.

I knew this man was going to be big!

Not because he was the most beautiful man I had ever seen.. (Although that was noticed! :tasty: )

but because he was so passionate and powerful that he made me want to dream again.

As the years went by and he was really coming into his craft and was noticed, I was thrilled.

I never met him, but I was thrilled that now other people were beginning to see what I saw.

When the Phantom came out, it was insanity!

The entire world opened their arms to Gerard Butler.

I was so happy because he was finally getting the recognition he deserved!

Not just for fame and fortune, but NOW he could go after the roles he really

wanted, and with artistic freedom we could really see him pour his

soul into projects that he felt strongly about.

But I was also a little saddened.

I felt like Gerry Butler was this wonderful secret, and now I would have to share him

with the whole world. And part of me was saddened, because it made me question..do all

these people love him because he's beautiful and he touches their heart...or just because he's beautiful.

And I was saddened, because I never had the honor of meeting him, and now that he had the entire world offering their arms for an embrace, I felt that my chance to speak to him on and one-on-one level was now impossible.

But those feelings faded on Christmas Day 2005.

When a man who was now embraced by the light of fame/fortune took 6 minutes out of his busy schedule to dial the phone number of one of his fans and speak to her.

He didn't talk about this and that, mindless chit chat only half listening, but he engaged in a conversation, and really listened to her.

He spoke to her as if she was the only person in the world, and even though it was only 6 minutes, it was, for her a lifetime.

I think that Gerry has the most loyal fans in the world.

We love him, and we support him.

Not only because he's beautiful and talented, but because he's real.

He makes no apologies for who he is, and doesn't put on a front to

mask his short comings, or flaws (Although I'll be damned if I have ever spotted a flaw.. :kisswink: )

He's an ordinary man with an extraordinary soul.

I don't think he'll ever be like a "star"

He can't be compared with others.

He can't be put into a category.

Because there is, there never was, and there never will be another - like Gerard Butler.

http://www.gerardbutlergals.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/cleo.gif

Bethy

This is a very thought provoking thread, and I've actually sat on it a while trying to think before I posted. I guess I'm coming at it from a newer fan perspective... a new fan that feels like she got in just a little too late! :alone:

I have always been so amazed at the accounts fans have had of how genuinely appreciative he has been towards them, and how amazing he has been when it comes to giving them his time and attention. There really aren't too many out there like him. I have never met the guy personally, and here's where it gets tough, because as his career is ready to ignite with 300, I think things will probably have to change for his own safety, and that leaves folks like me with little to no chance of ever meeting him. Hey... it's ok, I want him to be safe above all, and will gladly just watch him from afar if that's what it takes. (<---- ok, did I just inadvertantly make myself sound scary here? ROFLOL! :funnyface: )

But here's my point, I guess: I think that he will ALWAYS have a really soft spot in his heart for his truly long-time fans. I think maybe he will always find a way to connect with them. But people like me sort of came on the cusp of that (I didn't learn about him till POTO was released to DVD), and I don't think I fall into that category. As much as I have gone back and watched as much of his old stuff as I have been able to get a hold of, it still isn't the same as having been a fan who was there when all of it was new. I think I will always give deference to those who really WERE there in the trenches when hardly anyone knew his name. Now that he is getting more well known, his fan base is going to look really different. My hats are off to all of you who have been there all along, supporting him as he made his way up; ladies, I don't think you EVER have to worry that he will forget you. Smooches to you all!

(Oh, and yes... as long as he still does the wonderful sort of thing like he did for Bethy? Lordy, but how he proves the point. No, he will never forget.)

When the Phantom came out, it was insanity!

The entire world opened their arms to Gerard Butler.

IBut I was also a little saddened.

I felt like Gerry Butler was this wonderful secret, and now I would have to share him

with the whole world. And part of me was saddened, because it made me question..do all

these people love him because he's beautiful and he touches their heart...or just because he's beautiful.

Because there is, there never was, and there never will be another - like Gerard Butler.

http://www.gerardbutlergals.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/cleo.gif

Bethy

It was his voice that first caught my attention. Never in my life had anyones voice touched me so deeply. The next thing to hit me was the way HE made me feel after watching Phantom. It was like he reached out and grabbed my heart and would not let go. When I saw him on Leno I could not believe that this skinny guy with an accent was the same man that put my heart into knots. Yes, I thought he was adorable and funny, but the thing that attracted me to him the most was the way HE made me feel after Phantom. I cried for days after seeing the movie and I still to this day get goosebumps when I hear him sing.

I WOULD GIVE ANYTHING TO HEAR THAT MAN SING TO ME.

Love,

Suz

Greetings!

All the posts here are stating exactly how I've felt about Gerry since that first moment I saw him appear on screen in POTO. I too, sat there with this huge lump in my throat that moved down into my heart and hasn't left since that day!!

I remember, I couldn't wait to get home to get on the internet, and find out who in the world was that guy? Those eyes behind that mask and his voice just went through me. I STILL get weepy whenever I watch Phantom.....over and over again.

With each and every film he's done, he has the ability to take on the character he's portraying and you leave the theatre or from watching the DVD, thinking about him all the time!! It's a gift that he has and I'm so happy that we're able to see and enjoy him.

After just having the opportunity to see "Beowulf" I'm going through the same feelings I had one year ago that first time with POTO. I love him more and more with each role he takes on!!

Personally, I don't care whether or not he becomes a "mega star." He gives so much to the role he's playing, I'd hate to see him take on "cookie cutter" type roles in the future. I think he is and always will be aware of his loyal fans who've always been there to support him....whether or not he's a huge star or just OUR special STAR!! :wub:

That's my two cents.... :kisswink:

JUDE

I've vowed that should that opportunity come my way again I won't be standing in the line. I might go to a premiere and shout out a hello to him as he walks down the red carpet, but if there is to be a chance for people to meet him who haven't done so yet, I won't be standing in your way (and if I am just say to me - "you promised to get out of my way", OK?)

Don't worry love - I have no problem with stepping all over ANYONE to get to the G-man! :funnyface::kisswink:

Sarah - how did I know you'd take me up on that offer? In fact you won't even tell me to get out of the way you'll just trample over me!!

It really isn't a matter of "nobility" on my part, it is just that my moments with Gerry mean SO much to me that now my "mission" is to try to facilitate others having their moments too. I know that if I meet him 10 more times I am not going to become his "buddy", he won't put my number on his speed dial, so what is the point of it? I'd rather treasure the memory I have and do what I can to help someone else get the same chance I already had.

Bethy - "an ordinary man with an extraordinary soul" that brought tears to my eyes - a beautiful way to put it.

LOL Susan. I bought a line backer suit especially for the occassion - I'll just run over everyone!

I think it's great that you can say that. It shows a true generosity of spirit. But wouldn't it be cool to hear him say Sporrrrrrrrrran again??

*runs off to play vid*

LOL Susan. I bought a line backer suit especially for the occassion - I'll just run over everyone!

I think it's great that you can say that. It shows a true generosity of spirit. But wouldn't it be cool to hear him say Sporrrrrrrrrran again??

*runs off to play vid*

Mmmm or hear him say BAY-eh-thay again.. *thud*

I wanna hear him say Beckielou!! Beh-kee-LEW. *shrugs shoulders* just curious...

Okay, on topic...

I wish I remembered the date, as our Bethy does, when I saw Gerry for the first time, in a PREVIEW for Attila, which was weeks before it aired! They (USA Network) started out just showing little snippets, and the previews got longer the closer to the date of the premiere. The anticipation was like we all have felt waiting for one of Gerry's movies to premiere...excitement, impatience, and thinking the actual date would never come! I HAD to find out who this guy was with the riveting green eyes and black hair!!! Well, needless to say, I was hooked from the Attila premiere on, and Attila has remained my sentimental favorite role of Gerry's.

After a time, I fell by the wayside as far as 'groups', websites, etc., but in the anticipation of POTO, (one of my fave musicals, starring Gerry Butler?! A dream come true, but could he pull it off? Nail biting tension...) How could I have ever doubted our Gerry?! I promise you, readers, fellow gals, and GERRY:

I WILL NEVER DOUBT HIM AGAIN!

So, yeah, I guess you could call me one of the 'forefans' of Gerry, but I don't feel any smugness about it. I do allow myself just a bit of pride that I 'discovered' him so early on and that I have the good taste to admire someone who's so much more than a brilliant actor...he possesses an extraordinary soul, as Bethy put it so 'pair'-fectly!

And yes, there's a motherly love feeling about Gerry (pulling out of the driveway, letting go of the baby) because it's an unconditional love. I think that those of us who feel that way toward Gerry will always feel that way, no matter where career or life takes him.

As Gerry's star continues to rise, his public accessibility will likely have to be curtailed. But, I believe that Gerry values ALL of his fans. He knows that we value him, and he humbly appreciates it and always will. I don't think he'll be tabloid fodder either. He's a smart wee cookie and he keeps his nose clean, even if his mouth gets a bit 'fresh' at times. I also feel that Gerry is a very private person, much more than we realize, and will stay well below the radar of the mindless drivel that's written about in those rags!

Oh, and Sporran, if I'm ever in a position to 'possibly' meet Gerry, I'm hanging out with YEW, girlfriend! :kisswink: