Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
terezoulini

GAMER: my reaction

Well, I saw the movie this afternoon and I have to agree with most of what's said here, especially Lisa. Gerry WAS the movie in my book. Without him there would have been no movie. He was the perfect Kable. The story was second because the action made me dizzy. I would have liked to see what was going on with a steadier camera. Gerry looked so good when shooting that I felt cheated when I couldn't see him more clearly. I'm so glad I knew the story so well before I went or else I would have been lost. Characters went unexplained too long and pieces were put in place too late in the movie. Thank goodness I saw the videos beforehand so I knew what was going on. I have to say that Gerry was excellent in this role and his wife, Amber Valetta, was very believable also. The dance scene was out in left field and never should have happened. It stopped the momentum of the movie. I have to admit that these types of movies are not my cup of tea so maybe that is part of the problem. Although I am a big fan of "300" and "Beowulf" which were violent movies but they had a good story with a message and good directors to make the movies. I will buy the DVD because of Gerry and his scenes. He was awesome!! *THUD*

~HUGS~ Kathy

I thought Amber Valetta did a good job, too. I thought she and Gerry did a GREAT job of showing that they were doing things against their will. Their faces and eyes expressed the anguish they felt. I really liked that.

I agree that they were both very good at acting "controlled." It must have been tricky... acting one way with your body, and a completely different way with your face. It seems to run counter to everything you teach yourself as an actor. Bravo to the both of them. :)

I have another complaint ... MAJOR SPOILER .....

I HATED the stupid "dance" scene. I understand it was supposed to show the insanity of Castle, but it took me out of the movie. I lost interest there, and even watching Gerry kick arse wasn't as enjoyable. I think this is why the ending was a letdown.

Noooooooooo! That's crazy to me. I thought the dance scene was one of the coolest in the entire movie! I guess I can't explain why I thought it was so cool... it just seemed very creative. Plus, I guess I liked it for being out of character for your typical ridiculously violent action movie. Yet, to me at least, it still seemed to flow with the unconventional kind of sideways storyline. If it hadn't been for this scene, and a few others that kind of make you tilt your head and say "huh..." I might have written Gamer off as just a completely substanceless action flick. My best friend from back home saw Gamer tonight, and she also liked the dance scene. Oh, similar to the dance scene, I enjoyed the scene in the prison bathroom when Terry Crews was singing the Pinocchio song. Truthfully, that song has been in my head all day today because of it. :D

Anyone else want to weigh in? :) Differing opinions are what make the world go 'round. Love you all!

Steph

OK, finally got to see Gamer tonight. Actually the violence didn't bother me and was less graphic than I had expected from some of what I had heard from others. Gerry of course was the best part of the movie as he is in all his films. He made this one worth watching and the only thing that could make it worth watching again for me.

What I liked (besides Gerry)

1) Simon - I liked him as a believable rich kid whose world is almost entirely virtual. I got that.

2) Terry Crews was truly intimidating as a bad arse

3) Michael C. Hall was evil creepiness in a completely insane way. I've never seen him as Dexter, so I don't know how this character compares to that one. Our group laughed at the dance sequence though it was pretty goofy.

4) Kable's escape in the truck, how he fueled it, his work with the resistance, that motorcycle ride was a blast!

5) Gerry was just plain massive - massive arms, massive hands, massive neck with that rugged, manly gorgeous face. YEAH!

6) Possibly due to the very limited amount of dialogue I felt this was his best American accent yet.

7) The ultimate showdown and resolution between Tillman and Castle I loved. I cheered.

What I disliked

1) The gamer who was controlling John's wife in the Society game was way too over-the-top grotesque. If this is the image they are portraying of adult gamers then no wonder gamers are staying away from the movie.

2) Milo Ventimiglia's character was so throw away, the only good part was watching John actually throw him away

3) There was absolutely no back story to make you truly care about John's family. Where was a real glimpse into what their life was like before the games began? A photograph of the family was not enough to make me care. Amber's character was so devoid of any emotion that I still don't remember her name - as a real person or her Society character. The daughter didn't even seem real at the end - it was like she was a robot child. Also, was I supposed to understand or care about the guy he killed that sent him to death row? Because I didn't.

4) Neveldine & Taylor used the Society game to show us the sickest side of their psyches. I know they are sick puppies from watching Crank but this took it to a new and disgusting level that eliminated all the entertainment value as far as I was concerned.

5) Am I the one who only found Kyra Sedgwick's character annoying? And what the heck was with those balloned-overly red lips? Kyra is a very attractive woman but they made her look anything but attractive in this film.

6) WHERE WAS THE HUMOR??? I laughed twice - John "fueling" the truck and the stupid dance number. Crank was crazy and violent but it was also hilarious. Somehow that factor was missing from Gamer in a big way.

So in conclusion, Gerry does the best he can with what he had to work with and he looks absolutely believable as the one who could and should win the game and bring it down.

Hi Gang :wave:

I said a couple of things in other posts but I'll say more here :pointy:

As pure entertainment I enjoyed it. Gerry did a fantastic job with all the action scenes and the more intimate scenes he really rocked! He carried the movie for sure.

I totally agree that he and Amber showed great expressions when they were told to do something they didn't want to do. When Tillman is told to kill his budy, and shots him across the table, WOW! You can just see the pain and struggle he's going through before he pulls the trigger. Moments like that in the film were amazing!

I wish there was more of that!

I have to say that Mark and Brian did an amazing job. I agree that the camera work on the action sequences were a bit frantic. I think that was the whole idea though.

It did make it hard to watch at times because of this. The eyes can only take so much LOL! I think that's why I wish there were more "quite" scenes.

OK the "dance" scene...hmmmm. I didn't mind it either Steph. I think it showed the insanity of Castles world too. Did you catch the expression on Tillman's face as he watched Castle dance? It was like...are you nuts! Then when Tillman beats up Catsles men he makes the crack..."You're good", the people in the theater laughed at that LOL. I also like it when Crews sang!

The story "idea" was really good! I feel that it could have been more developed. I would like to have seen more back story. I needed more info on John's family before the "Game". I can't remember Amber's character's name because she was a bit forgetable. The daughter was cute but kinda of stiff. I do like action movies, but I really craved more dialog. I wanted to here more from Tillman. When he did have lines I was on the edge of my seat!

I will definately go see it again and will ad it to my collection when it comes out on DVD.

Thats :2cents:

Cheryl

Edited by Paisleyscot

The story "idea" was really good! I feel that it could have been more developed. I would like to have seen more back story. I needed more info on John's family before the "Game". I can't remember Amber's character's name because she was a bit forgetable. The daughter was cute but kinda of stiff. I do like action movies, but I really craved more dialog. I wanted to here more from Tillman. When he did have lines I was on the edge of my seat!

I definitely agree. The main complaint I had was inadequate character development, but I kind of expected that deficiency, as it is usually the case in an action movie.

As with many others, the jarring camera bugged me a bit too. It didn't bother my head or anything, I just found myself wanting to see the action sequences more clearly because I love closely watching stunt fighting choreography. 300 was great for that... they even did it in slow motion so you could see every blow being landed. I think though that the jarring camera was part of the style of the movie, BUT ALSO, that it's easier to do action sequences that way, because you don't have to choreograph them so closely, because if someone makes a mistake or the blows don't look realistic, it's extremely hard to tell.

Steph

A quick note about Gerry's accent in the film:

A friend of mine called me last night after seeing Gamer, and she told me she thought he did a great job keeping his accent in check in this movie. Personally, I found myself thinking the opposite. For the amount of dialogue in the film, I thought I heard the Scots come through a lot. I mean, not so that your normal viewer would notice it, but someone who pays way too close attention to everything Gerry does would. I thought his accent work was much better in TUT.

Steph

Oh, and how I can tell that I REALLY liked Gamer... I find myself thinking about it constantly (I've had dreams about it the last two nights!) and wanting to see it again because I'm intrigued by the story (not just by Gerry). I saw TUT a handful of times, but it was just to see Gerry and a fun movie, not because I felt drawn to it like I do to Gamer. In fact, I think I'll see it again today. :D

Steph

I'm going to see it again today, and I'm going to try to not pick it apart and just enjoy it as a movie as a whole.

I LOVE that we have differing opinions and can share them. I think we all agree that Gerry's portrayal of John Tillman was fabulous ... and after seeing the behind the scenes vids, he obviously had fun doing it. So for that, I'm glad for Gerry. :)

I do want to add that Terry did a fabulous job. I thought the locker room scene between he and Gerry was terrific, and the only scene that really made me FEEL anything. He was a great muscle adversary paired with the brain adversary character of Castle. That was a brilliant move on Mark & Brian's part.

I would liked to have seen more character development, but apparently Mark & Brian don't do that. I would have liked to see John and Simon meet at the end. That would have been a better ending, in my opinion. Their relationship was more developed than John and his wife (yup, can't remember her name either).

The fact that Simon helped him kill Castle seemed to not be important

Susan and I discussed the movie and she had a good point ... there were too many "throw away" characters that could have been developed more. The two main ones being Freek and Rick Rape (both actors are two great talents). Then again, this wasn't really a character driven movie. I just didn't feel attached to anyone in the movie, and didn't really have an emotional attachment to John, either. Weird. Maybe it's because I knew too much before going in? Who knows ....

I'll chime in again after I see it the second - and probably last - time.

Lisa

I'm wondering if we can merge the two threads ... this one and April's "Awesome" thread? This way we can all read each other's opinions without going back and forth between the two threads? Just a thought ...

I'm wondering if we can merge the two threads ... this one and April's "Awesome" thread? This way we can all read each other's opinions without going back and forth between the two threads? Just a thought ...

I was thinking the same thing. Don't know if it's technically feasible. Maybe the admins or mods can help.

Theresa

I was thinking the same thing. Don't know if it's technically feasible. Maybe the admins or mods can help.

Theresa

Well, they're the only ones who can do it so whenever they get a chance to read this, I'm sure someone will put them together. :)

In the meantime, there are some great reactions in both threads! I can't wait to see it again today so maybe I'll like it better.

Saw Gamer last night and thought it was very action packed! Definitely not for kids because of some sexual body part scenes but Gerry did a great job.

I think Moira merged them.

I forgot about Hackman (Terry Crews) singing in the shower scene and now I remember the funniest thing was that as soon as he said the words "I got no strings" that Pinnochio song started going through my head so then when he started singing it I really laughed!

That would have been really cool to have Simon and John meet at the end - far better than that stupid car scene which I hated.

The scene where John had to shoot his friend was really good, but another time I would have liked just a little bit of background about how close were they, how long had they known each other? I mean 5 more minutes of film could have given us a lot of insight both into John's relationship with his wife and daughter and also with his friend. I feel gypped out of that 5 minutes. An even eerier ending would have been showing in some way that John and Abby (and maybe even their daughter) still had those control cells in their brains and just because the Castle minions had turned off the program didn't mean that they or someone else couldn't turn it back on whenever they chose to. Maybe even Simon, or Simon's rich daddy (who we never saw or knew). Those kind of endings are more gripping and thought provoking than what we got.

It's funny how we disagree on Gerry's accent. I thought he did better here than in TUT and others think he did better in TUT. TUT was hard because of the number of times he had to say the word "girl" - he has never mastered losing the rolling "r" completely in "girl" or "world" or anything like that. I think there was one time in Gamer he had that kind of word and that's the one time I heard the Scots come through. I felt that by having him clip off the end of words like a lot of Americans do made his accent more authentic in Gamer. Part of the problem for us as fans is we are too used to hearing him speak in his own voice. I wonder if I would think differently of his Americanized accent if I'd never heard him speak without it. I remember thinking while watching him on Jimmy Kimmel the other night as he talked about his carnie days is how did any of the customers even understand him? Back then his Scots accent was very, very thick and many Americans, especially Californians, would have been completely baffled trying to understand him!

Happy to find this thread because I too posted in the siggy piggy room on accident as I am very new to Gals and still trying to find my way around. I was the only woman in the theater and the only one who laughed at the dance scene as well as not so quietly express my thanks for the washing up scene. I think the movie was very smart. By not developing any character sentiment it reflected the way games are played here and now. Just push through the levels killing and blowing s!*t up without a second thought for the affect we cause. I am not an anti-gamer and mean no offense to those who are. But that is the purpose and outcome of the most popular games now. I too thought his American accent was better but I could still pick up on the true Scottsman in places. I thought his accent was terrible in TUT, he seemed to really have a hard time with it. I wish he would stop trying to loose his accent because it's such a part of who he is and I love hearing him talk with that thick Scottish brouge.

John's wife's name is Angie! The only way I knew it was because I looked on imdb :lol:

I agree about not getting any background on anyone! That kinda made it hard!

There's just something about how Gerry plays John that makes me want to :swoon:

Maybe it's his pain and desperation to get back to his family and freedom! Gerry's tender side makes me melt :galdown:

:hugs:

April

Although the washing up scene in the locker room made me drool, my favorite scene was when Kable held the knife to his little girl and overcame everything to not hurt her. Castle was so shocked that Kable didn't do as he was being ordered. I think the next scene with Kable and Castle was brilliant. Kable used his own version of mind control and turned the tables on Castle. Well done. The "oops" was perfect!

Overall, this was not my type of movie, just too much stomach turning gore and it was not CGI like 300. I know they were using cool stuff like colored syrup and dog food or something to simulate a lot of the gore, but it was still pretty yucky. I too would have liked to see the characters a little better developed. I do want to see the film again just to see what I missed when my eyes were closed, and I do SOOO want to see the locker room scene again! That and the Pause button on my Blu Ray will make buying the DVD worth while!

Suzie

Oh yes, I plan to fast forward the scenes with Mr. Fat & Smarmy!

Edited by Texas gramma

As promised I have returned and I know you're all waiting with baited breath for my second opinion. :lmao: I can actually hear eyes rolling ... I really liked it better the second time around. I think part of my reaction yesterday was that I was still "coming down" from Friday. Anyway, I was able to look out for certain things this time as it was less confusing having already seen it.

I still love the locker room scene; I'm thinking that's my favorite so far. My son cracked up when Terry started singing "I've Got No Strings". He has a good voice, no? LOL But what's up with Mark and Brian and the musicals? Kinda funny.

I saw the message they were trying to send; I think it got lost though. I don't know if the target audience will get the message. I know my sons thought Simon's set up for playing was really cool, but I don't think they got the underlying message of individuality versus a controlled society. I'm thinking that was a little too buried in the violence and revenge message.

Accent ... I heard his accent more times here than in TUT. Sorry, Susan. LOL I heard him roll his "r"s and that way he says certain words that make them sound rounder than normal. Honestly, though, I think his lack of lines makes it really hard to compare the two. Gerry really didn't speak very much in this movie, let's be honest.

What does John say to Delia at the end? I couldn't catch it. He doesn't say "I'm just your daddy" ... She asks, "Are you my daddy, Tillman?" and He says "something" Daddy. But I can't hear it. Anyone else get it? I bet we get a few different responses. LOL

Speaking of the end - still hate it. Too quick, too dry ... I really came to care about Simon and would have liked to see him at the end. Oh well ... wasn't my movie to make.

I'll probably see it one more time. I do like the character of John Tillman very much. I agree that they could have shown us more background about the friendship between John and Scotch, and I'm a little confused about how they got involved in the experiment in the first place. I didn't quite catch if John tells Luda how or just that they were involved. I think I might have missed that - or did they not tell us that either?

Like I said before, I think Gerry had a great time making this and that's sometimes all that matters. He can pick and choose whatever he wants to be in and he chose this probably for the fun of blowing stuff up, and because he's a bit of a deeper thinker and saw the message. I'm proud of him and I hope it does well this weekend.

Oy this is a bunch of rambling ...

Edited by phoenixgirl

The first time I saw Gamer on Friday, I was thinking kinda of loud and bizzarr also. But I enjoyed it more today, since I knew what to expect. If you can go into this movie knowing that this is a video game and that is how they look with violence and sex, then I think you can enjoy the movie more. I have never played games before, but I knew what they looked like. Gerry is really good in this. He is a great action hero. His acting was top notched and his presence on the screen is worth the price of a ticket. Also, there are a lot of lessons in this movie as to the way the world is going with entertainment. I hope it doesn't go this far though. Did I mention how great Gerry looks in this.... hawt.... :wuv::pant:

I just got home from seeing it and I love to watch Gerry in action scenes. For the most I enjoyed it, so much action and it kept the pace if the film moving, but some things kept being show repeatedly and not as necessary to the film at least for me, a couple even walked out half way in the film, they were an older couple so not sure if they knew what to expect.

Edited by dlsmilad

IMHO:

I keep thinking of Shoot em Up with Clive Owen. Also a rather dismal box office performance two years ago, doing as well as Gamer on the Labor Day weekend, ending up in forth place. But Shoot ‘em Up had a wild crazy heart beating underneath all the mayhem. Yes, it was very much over the top Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd, but the movie was fun. And sexy without being misogynistic. Plus you cared about the characters; both Clive Owen and Monica Bellucci had back stories fleshed out that made the audience understand the connection they felt to the baby they were protecting.

Gerry was the heart and soul of Gamer and he did it on his own with no help from the directors and whatever passed as a script. Amber Valletta tried to inject some humanity but in the end she was just objectified in a rather ugly way. And don’t get me started on the morbidly obese fellow. That was awful and yeah, insulting to real gamers.

A movie has got to be more then a high concept and clever camera angles, and if you’re going to do a movie about human’s beings used as pawns in a video game then you have got to take that concept seriously and explore the human costs. So Neveldine and Taylor have quite a way to go before they can even get in the same zip code as the Cohen brothers or Zach Snyder.

I feel bad for Gerry, I’m sure he went into the film 100 percent like he always does, but the directors failed him for the most part. (IMHO)

The ending was very much a rip off of the theatrical release of Blade Runner from 1982, Deckerd (Harrison Ford) driving off with his lover. The irony of that is the ‘82 version of Blade Runner is considered the inferior version of that film (directed by Ridley Scott) which has had several director cuts released.

And was John Tillman a tribute to the late Pat Tillman, NFL pro football player and soldier?

Edited by Rubee815

Susan and I discussed the movie and she had a good point ... there were too many "throw away" characters that could have been developed more. The two main ones being Freek and Rick Rape (both actors are two great talents). Then again, this wasn't really a character driven movie. I just didn't feel attached to anyone in the movie, and didn't really have an emotional attachment to John, either. Weird. Maybe it's because I knew too much before going in? Who knows ....

I totally agree about the throw away characters. I wasn't familiar with the actor who played Rick Rape, but I love John Leguizamo, and was kinda miffed at his lack of presence in the movie. He had so much potential! And even Chris Bridges really didn't have that much going for his character. He had a bigger role, but still a lot of questions unanswered. I was a little confused on whether or not he died in the end, too... and usually that's something you're pretty clear about.

I felt that by having him clip off the end of words like a lot of Americans do made his accent more authentic in Gamer. Part of the problem for us as fans is we are too used to hearing him speak in his own voice. I wonder if I would think differently of his Americanized accent if I'd never heard him speak without it. I remember thinking while watching him on Jimmy Kimmel the other night as he talked about his carnie days is how did any of the customers even understand him? Back then his Scots accent was very, very thick and many Americans, especially Californians, would have been completely baffled trying to understand him!

Yeah, Gerry has commented a couple of times about how people couldn't understand what he was saying early on. (In fact, he said in a recent interview that that was why they took the one line away from his character in Tomorrow Never Dies) I'd have to see it (or, hear it, more appropriately) to believe it. Aside from a word here or there, I've never had any trouble understanding what Gerry is saying. Then again, I hardly ever struggle with accents... foreign or domestic (and trust me... really thick country southern accents can be quite a trick), so maybe it's just me?

Happy to find this thread because I too posted in the siggy piggy room on accident as I am very new to Gals and still trying to find my way around. I was the only woman in the theater and the only one who laughed at the dance scene as well as not so quietly express my thanks for the washing up scene. I think the movie was very smart. By not developing any character sentiment it reflected the way games are played here and now. Just push through the levels killing and blowing s!*t up without a second thought for the affect we cause. I am not an anti-gamer and mean no offense to those who are. But that is the purpose and outcome of the most popular games now. I too thought his American accent was better but I could still pick up on the true Scottsman in places. I thought his accent was terrible in TUT, he seemed to really have a hard time with it. I wish he would stop trying to loose his accent because it's such a part of who he is and I love hearing him talk with that thick Scottish brouge.

Really neat observation!! I don't know whether that was the intention, but seeing it now, it seems to have been a good choice. I like it when movies present their message on another level like that. I had a similar observation about the third Spiderman movie. People were complaining that it was too disorganized and unfocused with two separate villains, but I thought it was brilliant, since a lot of the struggle with Peter Parker in that movie was that he himself was very disorganized and unfocused, and as a result his life was falling apart.

I agree that they could have shown us more background about the friendship between John and Scotch, and I'm a little confused about how they got involved in the experiment in the first place. I didn't quite catch if John tells Luda how or just that they were involved. I think I might have missed that - or did they not tell us that either?

He says that they were told that it was an experimental technology to basically make brain cells perfect and cure all bad brain stuff (okay... not feeling so eloquent right now...) and that they volunteered, I believe.

Okay, now that I've replied to THE WORLD in one thread, I'd better get back to work.

Steph

I totally agree about the throw away characters. I wasn't familiar with the actor who played Rick Rape, but I love John Leguizamo, and was kinda miffed at his lack of presence in the movie. He had so much potential! And even Chris Bridges really didn't have that much going for his character. He had a bigger role, but still a lot of questions unanswered. I was a little confused on whether or not he died in the end, too... and usually that's something you're pretty clear about.

You don't watch Heroes? That's Milo Ventimiglia who plays Peter Petrelli. :) He's basically THE hero. LOL

Happy to find this thread because I too posted in the siggy piggy room on accident as I am very new to Gals and still trying to find my way around. I was the only woman in the theater and the only one who laughed at the dance scene as well as not so quietly express my thanks for the washing up scene. I think the movie was very smart. By not developing any character sentiment it reflected the way games are played here and now. Just push through the levels killing and blowing s!*t up without a second thought for the affect we cause.

Well, I have to say something here ... Gamers are not mindless. In fact, if anything they have to use their brains and bodies at the same time, which isn't easy. They don't just sit there mindlessly pushing buttons. If you have ever played Halo, which both my sons have made me do, it is incredibly difficult. I don't have tactical sense. My brain isn't wired that way. Video games can also teach problem solving, teamwork and other useful things. I'm incredibly proud of both my boys. And I know you meant no offense, but not every gamer is like that fat slob in the movie. :lol:

He says that they were told that it was an experimental technology to basically make brain cells perfect and cure all bad brain stuff (okay... not feeling so eloquent right now...) and that they volunteered, I believe.

I did catch that, but I guess they never explained why, who they worked for, etc. I wonder if there's a lot on the cutting room floor that we missed.

You don't watch Heroes? That's Milo Ventimiglia who plays Peter Petrelli. :) He's basically THE hero. LOL

Nope, I don't watch Heroes. I'm a movie buff, but I don't watch much broadcast TV. I have my favorite shows on DVD and tend to recycle them. The only current show I keep up with is Bones.

Happy to find this thread because I too posted in the siggy piggy room on accident as I am very new to Gals and still trying to find my way around. I was the only woman in the theater and the only one who laughed at the dance scene as well as not so quietly express my thanks for the washing up scene. I think the movie was very smart. By not developing any character sentiment it reflected the way games are played here and now. Just push through the levels killing and blowing s!*t up without a second thought for the affect we cause.

Well, I have to say something here ... Gamers are not mindless. In fact, if anything they have to use their brains and bodies at the same time, which isn't easy. They don't just sit there mindlessly pushing buttons. If you have ever played Halo, which both my sons have made me do, it is incredibly difficult. I don't have tactical sense. My brain isn't wired that way. Video games can also teach problem solving, teamwork and other useful things. I'm incredibly proud of both my boys. And I know you meant no offense, but not every gamer is like that fat slob in the movie. :lol:

I don't think she meant that Gamers are mindless, but that the fast paced action of the game itself doesn't allow for much time for reflection. At least that's the way I interpreted it...

I did catch that, but I guess they never explained why, who they worked for, etc. I wonder if there's a lot on the cutting room floor that we missed.

Okay, I know I said that ridiculously, and as I started trying to reply, I realized I couldn't remember exactly what was SAID regarding it, that was just what I remember getting out of it. I'm going to see Gamer again tonight, so I'll pay special attention to that part and perhaps will be able relate what happened more concretely and less in the abstract. (Cure all bad brain stuff? I mean seriously, what was that about? *Sigh* Today has been too long...)

Steph

Edited by AbandonThought