Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
terezoulini

GAMER: my reaction

IMHO:

I keep thinking of Shoot em Up with Clive Owen. Also a rather dismal box office performance two years ago, doing as well as Gamer on the Labor Day weekend, ending up in forth place. But Shoot ‘em Up had a wild crazy heart beating underneath all the mayhem. Yes, it was very much over the top Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd, but the movie was fun. And sexy without being misogynistic. Plus you cared about the characters; both Clive Owen and Monica Bellucci had back stories fleshed out that made the audience understand the connection they felt to the baby they were protecting.

Gerry was the heart and soul of Gamer and he did it on his own with no help from the directors and whatever passed as a script. Amber Valletta tried to inject some humanity but in the end she was just objectified in a rather ugly way. And don’t get me started on the morbidly obese fellow. That was awful and yeah, insulting to real gamers.

A movie has got to be more then a high concept and clever camera angles, and if you’re going to do a movie about human’s beings used as pawns in a video game that you have got to take that concept seriously and explore the human costs. So Neveldine and Taylor have quite a way to go before they can even get in the same zip code as the Cohen brothers or Zach Snyder.

I feel bad for Gerry, I’m sure he went into the film 100 percent like he always does, but the directors failed him for the most part. (IMHO)

The ending was very much a rip off of the theatrical release of Blade Runner from 1982, Deckerd (Harrison Ford) driving off with his lover. The irony of that is the ‘82 version of Blade Runner is considered the inferior version of that film (directed by Ridley Scott) which has had several director cuts released.

And was John Tillman a tribute to the late Pat Tillman, NFL pro football player and soldier?

Rubee, I am really enjoying your contribution to the GAMER discussions. Thank you.

Swannie

SPOILER!

I really liked the final scene with GB and MCHall with Tillman telling MH character 'don't think about......' That was really clever and goes back to the purple hippo story. If you tell some one NOT to think about a purple hippo then that is all they think about - so what Tillman said allowed him to get past the mind control....

I do want to see the movie again because there was so much shock I think I might have missed some things.

The myth about gamers is that they are losers who sit around in their jammies all day playing games. That they do not have social lives and that they are not smart. The truth is, many avid gamers are gainfully employed, are married and have kids. Some are even high up in their professions. Surprisingly, more and more women are being drawn into gaming...so there is is really a broad spectrum of people who enjoy gaming. My son is an avid gamer who is also a very talented composer, and he strongly dislikes being stereo typed.

We Gerry fans know what that's like, because we are often stereo typed by the media and by others who find our devotion of Gerry disturbing.

Swannie

Well, now I've seen it 3 times, and believe it or not, I actually love the movie now. I accept (although still dislike) the fact that the action at the beginning is almost epileptic fit- producing with the fast cuts, wobbly camera work, and the flashes...But I now cherish: Gerry's facial expression, body, action (that we can actually SEE), the stunts, the dance (the audience and I laughed out loud at it...there was a movie with Louis Jourdan and Tim Daly about a champagne empire..where Louis gets drugged and sings WEIRDLY "I've got a lot of living to do"..just as Castle does)...I loved how Gerry (SPOILER) takes out 12 guys in that Gerry-as-ninja scene, how he sits forlonly just before his wife comes down to soothe him, his great acting in the 3 scenes of shooting his friend, the breaking of Milo over his muscular thigh as one would break a stick (this got laughter , too), his ingenius way of creating "fuel" for the truck, the close-ups of his beautiful face, etc.

Note someone said, qnoting Gerry, that in "Tojorrow Never Dies" Gerry's one line was cut because they couldn't understand him. Not true. I have the dvd..you see Gerry (listed as First Seaman) at the controls in the sub...he says his one line (and yes, it is hard because of the burr)..So he definitely has a line! I forget what it is, though.)

I DO have aquestion: I'll probably have to see it a few times agan, but maybe you can help me:

Earlier in the movie, you see the Tillman family in the car..John driving, and Angie in the passenger seat with their daughter in the back. She turns to him and strokes his arm..showing us his tattoo scrawled on the forearm...My question? At the end, it's almost the same scene.....I don't get it. When I first saw the movie, I worried because as the car is seen from above going along the road toward the tunnel, the music has a crescendo, as well as a rather threatening tone...I assumed they were going to get killed. Then it abruptly ended with "Game OVER!) and the scene going to black..

Did that possibly mean that they weren't really out of danger? That they were still part of a game? That was like Groundhog's Day or something? That it was deja vu? Otherwise, why was the music so threatening? The camera panned closer and closer and closer...and then nothing?

Interpretations, please?

Thanks,

Poptart

First, :thankyou: Swannie for what you said about gamers. It's very, very true. There is a stereotype that they fit into, and like any other stereotype, it's just not true.

Poptart, I'm with you on the ending. It just didn't make sense as I also thought the scenes of them in the car earlier were flashbacks, not flashforwards. It just was weird.

I'm also glad you brought up the scene where John is sitting in the hallway, remembering killing his friend, and Angie walks up and comforts him. That's just Gerry doing what Gerry does best - showing the character's emotion all over his face. I did say, "oh my baby" out loud and my son was not amused. That and when John finds her at the apartment (after he breaks RR in two) I think were Gerry's really great scenes when he got to "act".

Thoughts after a third viewing:

The more I see this movie, the more I like it! I now have my certain favorite action sequences (in Kable's 28th battle when the explosion flips the car over across Gerry's path and it goes to slow motion with the classical music; the car chase during Kable's escape, the fight scenes between Kable and Hackman in Society city when Kable is rescuing his wife), my certain favorite quirky scenes (Hackman singing "I've got no strings," the "Under My Skin" scene), and my certain favorite emotional scenes (when Kable first finds his wife in society city, when his wife's chip gets cracked and she meets him in the stairwell).

Okay, so above in the thread there was a discussion about his wife's name... lots of people were posting that they couldn't even remember it, as she was such a forgettable character. Someone said they looked it up on IMDB and it was "Angie." They never actually say her name! The social worker calls her by her maiden name, Ms. Roth, the other icons in Society City call her by her avatar name "Neeka," and Kable calls her "baby" a few times, but NEVER does anyone say her real first name.

And the deal with the backstory to Kable's memories... He and Scotch were volunteers in a military research project that was testing technology developed by Castle. The idea was to replace your brain cells, bit by bit, with the synthetic nanocells that Castle had engineered. They were told that the nanocells would never break down and never degrade, and that this would lead to a new era of human longevity. So they volunteered for the study, but obviously, they got more than they bargained for.

In the end, when Deliah asked "Are you my daddy, Tillman?" there was some question about exactly what his reply was. I listened as closely as I could, and I heard "I'm your daddy." I didn't hear any word or qualifier before or after "Daddy," except for a bit of a swallow directly after.

The theatre was decently filled. Fewer people than the midnight showing I went to on Thursday/Friday, but more people than the 7:30pm on Friday. Plus, when the movie ended and the credits came on, a group of guys behind me got up, high fived each other and commented that it was "f*$%ing awesome." Good to see at least some people leaving with a smile on their faces!

I can't wait 'til this comes out on DVD. I know I'm going to spend about 3 hours on my first viewing, watching more than half the scenes twice (in regular time, and then again in slow motion!). :D

Steph

Thanks for all that Steph! You really paid attention this time! :lol: Hmmm, I thought I heard something more about the daddy thing, but apparently not.

Is it me or has this movie evoked more discussion than others of Gerry's movies in a long while? Just seems that way to me. Other than, "oh my god he's so hot" type of comments. Interesting ....

Thanks for all that Steph! You really paid attention this time! :lol: Hmmm, I thought I heard something more about the daddy thing, but apparently not.

Is it me or has this movie evoked more discussion than others of Gerry's movies in a long while? Just seems that way to me. Other than, "oh my god he's so hot" type of comments. Interesting ....

Yeah, it was a pretty complex movie... I think that's it. Plus, the GALS seemed to have had mixed reactions and that always sparks debate. There's only so much you can say when everyone loves it. :)

Steph

Okay, saw gamer last night. Loved Gerry of course as he was HAWT! :) He and Amber did a terrific job of showing the conflict in the few chances they actually got. Not enough story to keep me interested and as a gamer....yea I was insulted. Gerry is the only reason for me to entertain sitting through this again.

Okay, saw gamer last night. Loved Gerry of course as he was HAWT! :) He and Amber did a terrific job of showing the conflict in the few chances they actually got. Not enough story to keep me interested and as a gamer....yea I was insulted. Gerry is the only reason for me to entertain sitting through this again.

Why be insulted? I think they were just using the fat slob as an exaggeration. My sons were not insulted. I wouldn't take it too personally. Find the humor in it. Most of us who know real gamers, SERIOUS GAMERS, know that what Mark and Brian were trying to show was not what you guys are really like. I'm sure of it .. :)

Well, now I've seen it 3 times, and believe it or not, I actually love the movie now. I accept (although still dislike) the fact that the action at the beginning is almost epileptic fit- producing with the fast cuts, wobbly camera work, and the flashes...But I now cherish: Gerry's facial expression, body, action (that we can actually SEE), the stunts, the dance (the audience and I laughed out loud at it...there was a movie with Louis Jourdan and Tim Daly about a champagne empire..where Louis gets drugged and sings WEIRDLY "I've got a lot of living to do"..just as Castle does)...I loved how Gerry (SPOILER) takes out 12 guys in that Gerry-as-ninja scene, how he sits forlonly just before his wife comes down to soothe him, his great acting in the 3 scenes of shooting his friend, the breaking of Milo over his muscular thigh as one would break a stick (this got laughter , too), his ingenius way of creating "fuel" for the truck, the close-ups of his beautiful face, etc.

Note someone said, qnoting Gerry, that in "Tojorrow Never Dies" Gerry's one line was cut because they couldn't understand him. Not true. I have the dvd..you see Gerry (listed as First Seaman) at the controls in the sub...he says his one line (and yes, it is hard because of the burr)..So he definitely has a line! I forget what it is, though.)

I DO have aquestion: I'll probably have to see it a few times agan, but maybe you can help me:

Earlier in the movie, you see the Tillman family in the car..John driving, and Angie in the passenger seat with their daughter in the back. She turns to him and strokes his arm..showing us his tattoo scrawled on the forearm...My question? At the end, it's almost the same scene.....I don't get it. When I first saw the movie, I worried because as the car is seen from above going along the road toward the tunnel, the music has a crescendo, as well as a rather threatening tone...I assumed they were going to get killed. Then it abruptly ended with "Game OVER!) and the scene going to black..

Did that possibly mean that they weren't really out of danger? That they were still part of a game? That was like Groundhog's Day or something? That it was deja vu? Otherwise, why was the music so threatening? The camera panned closer and closer and closer...and then nothing?

Interpretations, please?

Thanks,

Poptart

I managed to see the film for a second time and I agree with you, eventually it grows on you for all the reasons you describe in your first paragraph. You see, when you are not distracted by trying to follow the plot, you have the luxury to notice Gerry's moments more closely and realise what a great performance he gives and how he can inject some good acting even when he is not given much to work with (as a reviewer said somewhere on the Internet, this is not an actor's movie after all). One scene I would like to add that I found so cute is the one where he thinks of happier times with his daugther (it just makes want to have his children LOL). You have to be a fan though to notice all that fine detail, I don't think regular members of the audience would take the trouble.

As for the end, my interpreatation is that they are now free from the Game and they will live happilly ever after.

Theresa

One scene I would like to add that I found so cute is the one where he thinks of happier times with his daugther

Oh my yes ... the scene of him lying under the tree watching her? I don't think my heart could have swelled any bigger without bursting through my chest. The man deserves to have daughters ...

The only "gamers" they show in detail are a really fat and throughly disgusting guy and a kid. Kid no big deal but the other one was just gross. I agree people who KNOW real gamers are not going to think much of it but those that don't, well we already get a seriously bad rap in most cases. Of course, both games were kind of sick and sadistic anyway. Even the ones who communicate with the kid are all weird or just WRONG LOL like the twins trying to buy cable...not even NICE breasts...PLEASE!

All in all, as I said, Gerry did an anwesome job with what he had to work with. As for the comments about his daughter, I would imagine living with that sicko would have done some damage to her (she is not with either parent but with the bad guy for those that don't know) so I can see why should have acted so odd when they get her back.

I usually don't care a fig for what the critics say about a movie but this time I paid attention. Time after time they would down the movie in general for sloppy editing, not enough plot development or character enrichment, disgusting scenes, etc., but most of them would still praise Gerry's acting saying it was the best part of GAMER. Even the harshest review would slip in a kudo for Gerry's ability to breathe life into a dystopia.

I plan on seeing GAMER at least one more time. The first was a shocker and hard to take it all in and I know I missed a lot (viewing through my fingers at some parts :lol: that's something I tend to do) so I would like to see again in a more calmer viewing with a better understanding of this complicated movie. And I will purchase the DVD when it is out. I join in with a lot of you saying that I would not have gone to see this movie without Gerry in it. Not my type of movie usually.

I enjoyed reading everyone's POV on GAMER. :thankyou: for sharing.

Diane

So they were insulted because they showed fat gamers in the movie?

Maybe I'll figure it out when I see it myself...

About the hallway scene...... I loved the look on his face when he realized it was really his wife and not "the mind controlled version of her".

Gerry flipping Milo was awesome! He acted like it was nothing to pick him up!

I definitely want to see it again because I know there are things I missed :)

April

I'm just getting ready to go now..

I've waited 3 whole days to go and see a Gerry movie.. Unbelievable restraint on my behalf, if I do say so myself. lol

It's not my usual type of movie but I'm 'game' to get my Gerry fix.. excuse the pun!

I may be able to add my 2 cents worth after I get home..

Actually the reviews for Gamer are somewhat more favorable then for TUT. Most critics are far more inclined to cut action movies a lot of slack in a way they won’t for romantic comedies. It might have worked in Lionsgate’s favor to let the critics screen the movie in advance ironically enough.

I'm just getting ready to go now..

I've waited 3 whole days to go and see a Gerry movie.. Unbelievable restraint on my behalf, if I do say so myself. lol

It's not my usual type of movie but I'm 'game' to get my Gerry fix.. excuse the pun!

I may be able to add my 2 cents worth after I get home..

LOL that IS restraint :) Have a good time and I look forward to hearing your opinion tomorrow!!

Amanda

Any idea why they chose not to do a critic's screening of GAMER in advance?

Yeah, the critics were brutal for TUT. I had to quit reading them.

The conventional wisdom is because a movie is expected to bomb and the production/distribution team wants to get the movie out and rake in some dough before possible negative reviews. That’s what they did for GI Joe in any case, no advance reviews. In Gamers’ case I’m not sure, it’s a niche film for young males so Lionsgate might have thought that group would not care about the reviews anyway.

If I am not mistaken Mark and Brian never screen their movies for critics in advance. I think they have a deep disdain for critics and won't give them the chance to nosh on their movies before the public gets to see them.

As for the "fat" gamer, he is beyond fat. His character name according to IMDb is "Gorge". He is probably 600 pounds, cannot walk, and is grotesque in everything he does. He is "playing" the female character who is the avatar of Kable's wife, and it is just really gross. That's what I believe gamers are finding offensive - I know if I was a gamer I would. Heck, as a human being I found that part grossly offensive.

But I will probably see the movie again. Two of my friends (Gerry fans) walked out of it - couldn't handle the gross parts (and we're not talking the violence, but rather the stuff in the "Society" game from what I'm told).

Susan,

I too found it gross. I felt sorry for John's wife.

Lisa - I'm like you. I like knowing him as John. It would have been fun to see it together :)

:hugs:

April

Edited by SouthernGirl28