Gerard Butler GALS

GAMER: my reaction

I saw the fat "gamer" not so much as a gamer but as a warning about the sleezeballs that often inhabit the internet and that you never know who you're really talking to. Present company excepted, of course! :D

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have friend, also a Gerry fan, who almost walked out due to the Society stuff, but she stayed to finish it. She felt Gerry's performance was really good given what he had to work with. She felt her intelligence was offended by the Society thing. I can see that.

I know everyone has their own boundary, and maybe I'm desensitized but I didn't see anything I would walk out on. Just too much T&A. It's all over the top stuff that really wasn't necessary to the story, but I have never walked out on a movie.

Hopefully those that did walk out will give it a second chance once it's out on DVD and just FF through the parts they don't want to see. :)

hi all,well its about time i put something up here considering i was lucky enough to see it last Thursday night at a preview showing in Toronto (I won 2 tickets) :) I really enjoyed the movie but Laura and I both thought it was quite short. Yes it was gory in parts even a bit pervy at points.

I havent read all of the above yet but i think some people are talking about Gerrys accent in the movie right? I definately hear Scottish accent in major parts and I did so even from the trailers and clips before i saw the whole movie.

I will certainly be buying this one and of course broadcasting it to you all on my channel when its released :).

Oh and Laura and I havent been about to get that tune out of our heads from the movie and have been playing it and singing it since Thursday lol (Bloodhound Gang)

Edited by scotsmanstuart

which song Stu?

There Are No Strings On Me? originally from Pinnochio

or

I've Got You Under My Skin? Sami Davis version?

LOL, these songs do stay in your head.

which song Stu?

or

I LOVED Marilyn Manson's version of "Sweet Dreams Are Made of This"!!

The Bad Touch - Bloodhound Gang -

I think they play this song when we get first look of the "Society" game.

which song Stu?

or

Edited by scotsmanstuart

I loved Manson's version of the classic Lennox tune too!! I love that song anyways but this version was so fitting.. I'm not going to elaborate a lot tonight on the movie but let's say I was pleasantly surprised and I found it visually stimulating.. yup I did! Surprised myself! I really enjoyed it. I'm not overly sensitive to violence and the Society scenes didn't bother me at all. It's all entertainment to me and it is JUST a movie..

I loved Manson's version of the classic Lennox tune too!! I love that song anyways but this version was so fitting.. I'm not going to elaborate a lot tonight on the movie but let's say I was pleasantly surprised and I found it visually stimulating.. yup I did! Surprised myself! I really enjoyed it. I'm not overly sensitive to violence and the Society scenes didn't bother me at all. It's all entertainment to me and it is JUST a movie..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YNV_mX6JIA

This is a somewhat humorous video of 'The Bad Touch' featuring clips of Gerry and his movies. I love the bit where he looks like he is chewing nuts LOL.

I finally saw GAMER at the late show tonight. Shocker.....I really enjoyed it! I loved the opening montage, and I was totally entertained throughout the whole movie. I was drawn in by the story, I thought the visual style of the film was almost like an art film, and of course I loved Gerry's performance. I could say more, but between the frenetic shots, my son's driving and the smell of blacktop outside my window, I'm a bit sick to my stomach.

The movie totally surprised me!

Swannie

I finally saw GAMER at the late show tonight. Shocker.....I really enjoyed it! I loved the opening montage, and I was totally entertained throughout the whole movie. I was drawn in by the story, I thought the visual style of the film was almost like an art film, and of course I loved Gerry's performance. I could say more, but between the frenetic shots, my son's driving and the smell of blacktop outside my window, I'm a bit sick to my stomach.

The movie totally surprised me!

Swannie

HUH??? This shocks me. :lmao: I just figured you wouldn't like it, Swannie, but I'm so glad to hear that you did! I can't wait to read more of your thoughts later.

Lisa

A quick note about Gerry's accent in the film:

A friend of mine called me last night after seeing Gamer, and she told me she thought he did a great job keeping his accent in check in this movie. Personally, I found myself thinking the opposite. For the amount of dialogue in the film, I thought I heard the Scots come through a lot. I mean, not so that your normal viewer would notice it, but someone who pays way too close attention to everything Gerry does would. I thought his accent work was much better in TUT.

Steph

Absolutely Steph I was hanging on to his every word as usual,modulation,inflection, enunciation and all.Thankfully Gerard is truly gifted when it comes to emoting with his characters.You can feel everything he doesn't say and you can see it in his eyes.They are so expressive... :2cents: Tanya
  • 2 weeks later...

Gamer opened here Friday and I finally saw it today. It was certainly a unique movie and very original and man are Neveldine and Taylor crackpots LOL or are they inventive not sure :lmao:

While I enjoyed it I can't say I would rave about it. Maybe it needs a few more viewings. That obese Gamer repulsed me and I have to agree it probably offended Gamers in general. I was beginning to think Gerry would not have much to say and was there for braun and action but he had more to say in 2nd half of movie. I agree that none of the characters were developed enough to make you care for them. It was highly original I will say that for it and did anyone else notice the backup Geek at the end beside the one that said OOPS was Rick Mike Chadway's agent in The Ugly Truth?.

I did laugh seeing Zoe Bell's name quite high in credits and she was in it for all of 5 mins LOL.

It did look like Gerry probably had alot of fun making this move and as long as he is happy with it that is all that matters.

Moira

Wow Moira, good eye for spotting Rick Mike!

Yep I still agree with most of you. Enjoyed the movie but it did have flaws. Gerry did have a good time making it and that's what counts.

I will definately add it to my collection and view many more time I'm sure.

Cheryl

I know I should give it a second chance....maybe when I buy the DVD.... I do have to add my 2 cents about gamers ...although not all gamers are slackers that sit around in their PJ's all day and live with their parents I'm living proof of dealing with one of them! And I know of at least 50 more that sit on the puter sometimes for endless hours trying to get to the next level and the next level and so on... I know for a fact that this has become a sort of an addiction because someone very close to me lost his thriving business, his wife and family and just about his life. As I said I don't believe all Gamers are the same but I have seen the destruction that it can cause ....and it "aint" purty! With this said ...my biggest complaint about the movie was all the obscene and disgusting parts that I think were even an embarrassment to my son! Could be because I was sitting right next to him ...who knows? Watching Gerry in the action shots? Now that's a whole new ballgame! He was awesome!

Just remember...these are my own opinions and feelings and if and when I see it a second time and should change my mind ....I'll gladly eat my words! :p

:wave: Frannie

Edited by ladyfran

ATTENTION SPOILERS!

I saw GAMER tonight (it already opened in Greece) and I would like to share some feelings and thoughts with fellow GALS. Here we go:

First of all, the theatre was almost full which is a good thing because I went to an early evening performance which normally gets fewer people in Greece. We prefer later shows. Demographics were mixed: mainly teenage boys and adult geeky gamers. However there were also groups of ladies, some ladies on their own and some young couples (which most of them we saw making out under the moonlit sky once we got out of the theatre so this confirms my view that taking your girlfriend to a Gerry movie is a great way for a guy to ensure that he is going to get "lucky"; same thing happened at TUT both in Scotland and London :-) ). Just to help you understand how good a sign the amount of people in the theatre was, bear in mind that in Greece it is still very warm, schools have not started yet and normally people do not like to go to closed spaces like a movie theatre so early in the autumn.

The film now: I have been very worried on how to put my feelings in a delicate way. I will try, moderators feel free to edit.

Gerry is very good as one might expect and frankly he saves the film. This is not just my opinion but that of two girlfriends who I have successfully butlerised in the last month, mainly through showing them a series of recent Gerry interviews where they appreciated his charisma, charm, humour and wit. An interview appearing in a large circulation magazine last Sunday here in Greece has also done wonders for his image here in Greece (I will translate and post over the weekend).

The film is basically what we have seen in the various trailers and behind the scenes footage. Lots of explosions and running and endless violence. This is a good thing for this type of movie of course. The fact that a lot of shooting was done with a handheld camera by Mark Neveldine on his skates gives you a very honest feel of the action, almost as if you were part of it. In the fighting scenes Gerry is at the top of his game, he completely nails them. You can tell there were boys with big toys and they were all having lots of fun, although it must have been very taxing especially for Gerry. Having said that, seeing how hard Gerry has worked for this film and how much he tries to deliver his character, you cannot help but feel disappointed at the fact that the directors failed, in my humble opinion, to really take this film off the ground and to the stars where there was every possibily it could go. It seems at times that at the back of their mind they only saw Gerard Butler/Kable as a kick arse character (which he is and portrays to perfection) but does not cross their mind to give him the possibility to showcase his acting abilities and develop his character the way one would expect, given the fact that they claim they wanted to go deeper and darker with this film. As one reviewer mentioned, they don't give Kable much emotional content and leave Gerry very little to work with, although he does try to take every advantage of the few opportuinities he is given. Those rare moments where we are allowed to see Kable's emotional torture, Gerry is excellent and only leaves you with the bittersweet taste of wanting for more, of wishing that the directors had made better use of the talent that was available to them. Quite frankly, they showcase Castle's character much more and allow Michael C.Hall for much more room for actual acting perfromance which is really unfair to Gerry's potential.

Furthermore, the idea behind the storyline does provide ground to keep us all at the edge of our seat for most of the time. I'm afraid the directors once again could have done better to provide us with more intensity regarding putting Kable in dangerous situations, especially when dealing with other Slayers that are meant to put him off the game. Blowing things up and running becomes too predicatble at one point.

Just to clarify one thing: I do understand this is an action film and do not expect Oscar winning performances. However 300 was also an action film but Zack Snyder utilised Gerry at the maximum brought the best out of hims and also managed to produce visual poetry and have everyone at the edge of their seat out of a very simple story line.

Having said that, on the whole it is a film that's enjoyable but what sets it apart is Gerry's presence; his intensity and the way he fills the big screen is the first thing that strikes you once the film starts. Had it been any other actor, the film would have suffered big time. As I said, he literally saves it. Of course, all this analysis comes from a woman who maybe thinks too much and, more importantly, knows (an any GAL) what Gerry is capable of. My prediction is that teenage and male audiences will not go into that direction, so they will take this as a kick arse action film, love the explosions and the chasing and fill the theatres. The film should do well.

From a GAL point of view, and to lighten things up a bit, there are a couple more "personal" Gerry moments that are revealed to us. First we had the camel shagging, then the awkward orgasm at Rock'n'rolla and now we have Gerry vomittinf and peeing, but it is for a good cause: he needs fuel to get a truck running in order to escape. :-) Also there are a couple of flash backs where Kable thinks of happier times with wife and daughter which are absolutely adorable. Unfortunately you must not blink or you will miss them. Maybe we will get more on the DVD. I also liked one scene (also from Kable's past) where the actor is shaven and it was a pleasant surprise; I had almost forgotten how kissable and pinchable Gerry's cheeks can be! :-)

I would be very interested to see if other people agree on my take once you have seen the film. I am also open to be pursuaded otherwise. I will go and see the film again in the hope to find more positive aspects.

Theresa

P.S. Maybe it's time Gerry starts directing his own films, he certainly has the brains and the passion for it.

I agree completely with all you said. I will see this again but just to see Gerry. He was very underutilized. This movie could have/should have been sooo much more with the talent they had in their hands. On another note, the message regarding the devalueing of human life and video game violence, I can see our world heading in that direction. It is scary..

I know I should give it a second chance....maybe when I buy the DVD.... I do have to add my 2 cents about gamers ...although not all gamers are slackers that sit around in their PJ's all day and live with their parents I'm living proof of dealing with one of them! And I know of at least 50 more that sit on the puter sometimes for endless hours trying to get to the next level and the next level and so on... I know for a fact that this has become a sort of an addiction because someone very close to me lost his thriving business, his wife and family and just about his life. As I said I don't believe all Gamers are the same but I have seen the destruction that it can cause ....and it "aint" purty! With this said ...my biggest complaint about the movie was all the obscene and disgusting parts that I think were even an embarrassment to my son! Could be because I was sitting right next to him ...who knows? Watching Gerry in the action shots? Now that's a whole new ballgame! He was awesome!

Just remember...these are my own opinions and feelings and if and when I see it a second time and should change my mind ....I'll gladly eat my words! :p

Sure, gaming does become an addiction to some people... but so do many other activities. Gaming is an escape, and a very effective one, since you can so completely become someone else. I have always been the escapist type and although I have never gotten much into gaming, I can tell you that you can waste just as much time and have the potential to ruin your life over things as seemingly innocuous as music, reading, or writing. It's not the activity, it's the fixation.

Steph

I'm going to see it this week. It's down to two showings daily at a cinema about half an hour from me. (I'm not sure why it's not showing everywhere.) I'm not a fan of viewing these kinds of films at the show - I'm hoping I can still follow the story even with all the covering of my eyes!!

Sure, gaming does become an addiction to some people... but so do many other activities. Gaming is an escape, and a very effective one, since you can so completely become someone else. I have always been the escapist type and although I have never gotten much into gaming, I can tell you that you can waste just as much time and have the potential to ruin your life over things as seemingly innocuous as music, reading, or writing. It's not the activity, it's the fixation.

Steph

I am not sure it is the message of becoming addicted to the games. It is the desensitizing of the youth to death and gore. And the idea of 'disposable' humans that is the core of the problems.

I would agree. The film is not about addiction but dehumanization. Gaming is the metaphor used to explore the increasing degradation of human beings and human relationships for "entertainment". Technology is wonderful but it also tends to isolate us, separate us from each other. People say things on the internet they'd never say face to face. Reality TV encourages people to degrade themselves so an audience can watch. The lure is fame, of sorts, and fortune. Gamer is an extreme vision of where we are headed, maybe. Not where we have to go.

Jane