Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Novelistgirl

Box Office

Not very good news about the box office. :unsure:

http://blog.theboxofficejunkie.com/2009/09...oid-movies.html

http://blog.theboxofficejunkie.com/

Let's hope that it'll manage to stay in theaters long enough to not have a too shabby BO total.

I didn't expect it to do as well as TUT, but... I'm a bit disappointed.

Even "All about Steve" did better...

EDIT : The first link doesn't seem to work. But the second one works.

Edited by Novelistgirl

Yeah, that's not so stellar. I was a little worried when I went to the 7:30PM showing yesterday and the theatre was not so full. And a couple of people got up and left... I like to think they had an emergency, but maybe it wasn't their type of movie. Anyway, I'll go see it a handful more to make my personal contribution to the numbers!

I think that if Gamer struggles it'll be because it's an action movie with a focused plot in a genre that sometimes turns people off... kind of the not-too-distant-future sci-fi dystopia feel. Straight action is easier to get away with, I think.

Stephanie

Yeah, that's not so stellar. I was a little worried when I went to the 7:30PM showing yesterday and the theatre was not so full. And a couple of people got up and left... I like to think they had an emergency, but maybe it wasn't their type of movie. Anyway, I'll go see it a handful more to make my personal contribution to the numbers!

I think that if Gamer struggles it'll be because it's an action movie with a focused plot in a genre that sometimes turns people off... kind of the not-too-distant-future sci-fi dystopia feel. Straight action is easier to get away with, I think.

Stephanie

Not good is right.

I attended a 4:30 p.m. showing yesterday and there were only 5 of us in the theater... me and four men who, when the show ended, exited the auditorium like there was a fire... usually not a sign that the audience likes what they saw.

I didn't care for it myself. I loved seeing Gerry for nearly and hour and a half, but I thought the film lacked a lot.

Does anyone know the "production cost" on GAMER?

:erik: Erik's Ebony Eyes :phantom:

Labor Day weekend is a tough opening. People are at the beach or state fairs. Probably not watching movies. It will pick up or it will be a smash on DVD!

I read one review from a gaming site which stated that GAMER is insulting its target audience, so they are staying away. I find that fascinating.

From the beginning when this film was first announced for Gerry, I just didn't believe it would do well at the BO. I know some fans were hoping for another 300.

I haven't seen the film yet, but will later in the week.

Swannie

I do feel badly for Gerry but I sense he might be somewhat expecting this. Going into a project an actor never knows how a movie will turn out. Gerry put a lot of blood sweat and tears in into this one so that aspect must be frustrating to him. Onward to LAC which is very much Gerry’s baby and tells us far more about Gerry’s sensibilities as an actor and producer. Gamer was a job and a paycheck.

Friday means nothing, lets wait till Tuesday AM to see the full intake at the BO.

It still has 3 nights to make money imo, SAT, SUN & MON.

I read one review from a gaming site which stated that GAMER is insulting its target audience, so they are staying away. I find that fascinating.

Swannie

A friend of mine made the same observation... she thought it was insulting to gamers... that is fascinating! :hmm:

:erik: Erik's ebony Eyes :phantom:

I think though that Gamer's insulting of gamers is intentional. I think they did that on purpose by means as a use of satire...they are creating a world where video gaming has spiralled out of proportion. and they are making a valid point that video gaming has greatly evolved, so much so that the heightened reality created in the movie is a not too far off possibility. The movie creators are making a perfectly legitimate observation.

Yeah, I think it can be interpreted that way, but I don't think that's its intent. Sure, if you're the type of gamer who dedicates 24 hours a day to your gaming addiction and don't think there's anything wrong with that, you might be offended. It's more of a cautionary tale, the message being "sometimes we can go too far." I don't think it's meant to be across the board insulting to gamers though... I mean, Simon was both a gamer and a positive character.

Plus... how could they know if Gamer is insulting to gamers if they haven't even seen it??

Steph

Being a gamer and a Gerry fan..I have decided it is my responsibility to see the movie and then post and let you know if I was offended LOL if I can get past body shots of him and follow the movie

As the mother of gamers, this is not something I have heard. My sons and their friends are looking forward to seeing it, and honestly the kid isn't a bad guy so I don't know why there's this "feeling".

There were only a few people when we went. I was disappointed, but then again Gamer has some major competition this weekend. It may not do well, but Gerry is proud of it, he did a great job and whatever happens, happens. Can't win them all.

Unless 'gamers' have joined a union, one person's paranoid observation is hardly proof of anything. Are rom-com fans offended by 'Steve' so that's why they're staying away from that? I've seen gaming sites that loved Gamer. One person's opinion, even on Twitter, isn't the whole of reality.

Gamer came in 3rd for Friday, close to the top two.

Jane

Edited by Jeb

I don't think anyone had big box office expectations of this one, at least not the studios and probably not Gerry or Mark and Brian. Heck the movie was filmed almost 2 years ago and took this long to get released, that tells you that it doesn't have much studio support. We'll see if word-of-mouth is any good or not. I mean TUT had just about as many haters as it had lovers so it is really hard to tell off just the first day. I'm still shocked at how poorly Rocknrolla did last year considering I thought it was fricking hilarious, yet its entire box office during its US run was only something over $5 million which isn't even a good one-day total for a movie, let alone a whole run.

I'm still shocked at how poorly Rocknrolla did last year considering I thought it was fricking hilarious, yet its entire box office during its US run was only something over $5 million which isn't even a good one-day total for a movie, let alone a whole run.

But, at its "widest" release, RockNRolla was on only in 826 theaters.

Gamer opened at it's "widest release" on 2,502 theaters... that makes a significant difference in possible income.

Edited by Erik's Ebony Eyes

I went to the 11:59 pm showing on Thursday... Sept 3rd and the theater was PACKED. However....Deetz. her husband and I were the oldest people there...lol

I went again on Friday with my sisters....one thought it was ...okay and the other didn't like it at all. We went to the 3:10pm show and there were only a handful of people there. Maybe 12 people and my sisters and I were the only women.

I'm sure that the weekend should see a better attendance since many people will be off for the long weekend.

Hugs, Linda

I don't think anyone had big box office expectations of this one, at least not the studios and probably not Gerry or Mark and Brian. Heck the movie was filmed almost 2 years ago and took this long to get released, that tells you that it doesn't have much studio support. We'll see if word-of-mouth is any good or not. I mean TUT had just about as many haters as it had lovers so it is really hard to tell off just the first day. I'm still shocked at how poorly Rocknrolla did last year considering I thought it was fricking hilarious, yet its entire box office during its US run was only something over $5 million which isn't even a good one-day total for a movie, let alone a whole run.

Wow! I didn't realize that RocknRolla did so poorly. I became a Gerry fan relatively recently, so I didn't pay attention to its release. Then again, I didn't remember ever having heard of it, so maybe I should have figured... Anyway, I thought it was hilarious too. I really hope that they do make the sequel, as I know it's at least been written. We'll see, I guess. Someone brought it up in an interview recently and Gerry seemed to sort of shrug it off, like there'd been no official word.

Steph

I saw Gamer Friday night at the 9:30 showing. There were maybe around 20 to 30 people in the theater. :tantrum: I was hoping it would be packed.

Like others have said, the weekends not over yet. Let's hope it picks up.

I enjoyed it! Yes a big part of it was because Gerry was in it. I thought the story idea was great and the social commentary was spot on.

I did feel that more could have been done with the story line though. All in all I thought it was entertaining and a wild ride from beginning to end.

Gerry did a fabulous job with all the crazy action! When we had some more slow intimate moments of him on screen I think he really shined!

His expressions and eyes say so much. Wish there was a bit more of that. But hey it was an action movie, so you go Gerry!!

Cheryl

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/two-top-...tie/#more-15291

Top 10 Movies with Friday Numbers

1. Final Destination 3-D (WB) Wk 1 [3,121], $3.5M Fri, 3-day $11.5M, 4-day $14M

2. All About Steve (Fox) NEW [2,251] $3.5M Fri, 3-day $11.2M, 4-day $14M

3. Gamer (Lionsgate) NEW [2,502] $3.2M Fri, 3-day $8.5M, 4-day $10.5M

4. Inglourious Basterds (Wein/Uni) $3M Fri, 3-day $11M, 4-day $13.5M

5. District 9 (Sony) Week 4 [3,139] $1.7M Fri, Cume $96M, 4-day $8M

6. Halloween II (Weinstein) Week 2 [3,088] $1.7M Fri, Cume $21.7M, 4-day $6.5M

7. Julie & Julia (Sony) Week 5 [2,528] $1.3M Fri, $74.9M, 4-day $6M

8. Extract (Miramax) NEW [1,611] $1.3M Fri, 4-day $4.5M

9. G.I. Joe (Paramount) Week 5 [2,846] $1.2M Fri, Cume $135.5M, 4-day $7M

10. Time Traveler's Wife (WB) Week 4 [2,803] $1.1M Fri, Cume $51.5M, 4-day $4M

Here are the Box Office figures. It seems that poor word of mouth hurt Gamer, I have to say the multiplex was dead on the Friday the night I saw Gamer compared to July and August when I saw TUT and Julie & Julia. The plex was buzzing with full theaters and long lines.

Thanks for that info, Rubee.

Hey, our man's movie COULD have been down there at no. 8 with Extract, or not on the chart at all.

At this point, I'm happy seeing a solid #3 for this particular movie.

(Will be going to "Gamer" tomorrow)

Thanks for that info, Rubee.

Hey, our man's movie COULD have been down there at no. 8 with Extract, or not on the chart at all.

At this point, I'm happy seeing a solid #3 for this particular movie.

Very true, Katie. We'll have to see the entire weekend box office ranking.

When I came out of the movie yesterday there was a kids baseball team having a part at the theater and I was trying to figure out what they would be seeing. My only guess is GI Joe as there are no other kids movies playing. So, I think because there are no real kids movies out right now, Gamer has a good chance of staying in the top 5.

Wow! I didn't realize that RocknRolla did so poorly. I became a Gerry fan relatively recently, so I didn't pay attention to its release. Then again, I didn't remember ever having heard of it, so maybe I should have figured... Anyway, I thought it was hilarious too. I really hope that they do make the sequel, as I know it's at least been written. We'll see, I guess. Someone brought it up in an interview recently and Gerry seemed to sort of shrug it off, like there'd been no official word.

Steph

RockNRolla was not well-marked and under-marked; and no where close to being marketed as heavily as Gamer.

I thought the marketing on Gamer was near overly saturated and would expect a heavier return on the advertising dollar. We will see how things stand at the end of the Labor Day holiday...

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/two-top-...tie/#more-15291

Top 10 Movies with Friday Numbers

1. Final Destination 3-D (WB) Wk 1 [3,121], $3.5M Fri, 3-day $11.5M, 4-day $14M

2. All About Steve (Fox) NEW [2,251] $3.5M Fri, 3-day $11.2M, 4-day $14M

3. Gamer (Lionsgate) NEW [2,502] $3.2M Fri, 3-day $8.5M, 4-day $10.5M

4. Inglourious Basterds (Wein/Uni) $3M Fri, 3-day $11M, 4-day $13.5M

5. District 9 (Sony) Week 4 [3,139] $1.7M Fri, Cume $96M, 4-day $8M

6. Halloween II (Weinstein) Week 2 [3,088] $1.7M Fri, Cume $21.7M, 4-day $6.5M

7. Julie & Julia (Sony) Week 5 [2,528] $1.3M Fri, $74.9M, 4-day $6M

8. Extract (Miramax) NEW [1,611] $1.3M Fri, 4-day $4.5M

9. G.I. Joe (Paramount) Week 5 [2,846] $1.2M Fri, Cume $135.5M, 4-day $7M

10. Time Traveler's Wife (WB) Week 4 [2,803] $1.1M Fri, Cume $51.5M, 4-day $4M

Here are the Box Office figures. It seems that poor word of mouth hurt Gamer, I have to say the multiplex was dead on the Friday the night I saw Gamer compared to July and August when I saw TUT and Julie & Julia. The plex was buzzing with full theaters and long lines.

Let's see the glass half full: no 3 with such small difference from 1 and 2 is better than expected. However I have to point out that you US GALS are partly to blame as well: I remember not so long ago when TUT was out, most of you had already seen it 2 or 3 times by Sunday evening. Not the same response here. :-) OK, it's not our dream movie but we have to support Gerry, right? It's important to get good numbers the first weekend.

Just kidding of course, I hope you don't hold it against me! :-) You know I love you and would be a very miserable and isolated fan without support if it weren't for you.

Theresa

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/2009-9-6-bo...odbye-to-summer

According to HitFix lousy weekend all round at box office with Gamer at #4 with $9 mil(4 day total of $11 mil)

I think this will do better on DVD. I can say now where I had my worries of releasing Law Abiding Citizen too soon after Gamer I am now glad they brought forward the release as I have a feeling Gamer will slowly fade away and if Gerry is going to have a big gap to his next movie I'd like him to go out on top - lets hope we are not wrong about LAC. Gamer has not done this for him.

Even though the studios may have been expecting this and I'm sure Gerry will have been briefed on the target audience and what to expect it must be gutting. I expected Gaming fans would come out in their droves. I would not have thought they would have been the types to listen to critics.

Regardless of how good or bad the movie is and I will not be able to make judgement til it opens in UK in a few weeks I'm afraid to say Gerard has still not quite made it considering one of the top 3 movies has been out a few weeks and all the publicity he has been getting lately. At least its top 5. Even though TUT only came in at #3 it took more money in its first week than some of the films the following weeks who made #1.

Gerry is proud of the movie so to me that is what matters. As long as he has no regrets.

Moira

Haven't seen it yet but this news is not a surprise to me. The movie is made for a certain kind of audience as I stated before...It's not a general audience type film. I ask you all...if Gerry wasn't in it would you have bothered to go? I can honestly say I would not! As for RockNRolla....I don't even own that one. Also to me not a general audience movie...I understand a lot of you loved it but again I ask...would you have gone to see it if Gerry wasn't in it? I think it boils down to what the competition happens to be at the same time and also the rating has a lot to do with the larger audience. I've also thought about how many have home theaters and instead of fighting the younger crowds at the movies they will wait for the DVD so maybe the DVD will help to bring in the bucks! As I said I haven't seen Gamer yet but expect to Tuesday... I might be back here eating my very words or I might be saying what so many others have already said...Gerry looked good!

JMO Galfriends, Frannie