Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Novelistgirl

Box Office

Gamer is most definitely NOT marketed to women. In fact the only time I ever saw a Gamer promo on TV it was during a truly disgusting (to me) comedy show on The Comedy Channel. I have never seen it promoted on anything else I watch (because I'm not who they expect to go see it). I never saw a trailer for it before any movie. I can guess that what gamers found offensive wasn't Simon but rather Gorge - the hideously grotesque fat man who controlled Abby's Society character. So let's figure Simon's character is only barely old enough to see the film (17) - the other depicted Gamer is disgusting - so the adult Gamers who might be the prime audience are the most likely to be offended at that portrayal.

I actually did not go see TUT 3 or 4 times its opening weekend. I saw it twice before the opening weekend due to preview showings. Then I saw it on opening night with my husband. I managed to see it 6 times in total, which isn't a lot compared to most of his other movies. I will not see Gamer 6 times, I might see Gamer one more time, but I can't even guarantee that. I will buy the DVD, but may never watch it.

Now I am looking forward to LAC which I expect I will find completely riveting.

Well, I contributed to the box office sales one more time today. My son, his girlfriend and I went today. It was way more crowded today than it was yesterday for some reason. There were only four girls in there, me and Krystal and two girls each with their dates. The rest were gamer boys.

Again, the weekend isn't over and I think they count tomorrow in the revenue since it's a holiday weekend. :confused: Not sure ...

Here's what IMDB has ... I'm thinking those are projected figures?

1. "The Final Destination" ($12 million three day, $15 million four day)

2. "All About Steve" ($11 million three day, $13 million four day)

3. "Inglourious Basterds" ($10.8 million three day, $13 million four day)

4. "Gamer" ($9 million three day, $11 million four day)

5. "District 9" ($6.2 million three day, $8 million four day)

Edited by phoenixgirl

So the final numbers have Gamer down to number 4. You know, all the pundits and the tracking information seemed to indicate that Gamer would do better, this has got to be disappointing for Gerry, I’m sure he’s feeling very down this weekend, he did every thing in his power to work on behalf of this movie. He’s a smart guy too; I suspect he knew the problems with the finished project but hoped the movie would somehow be a success despite the weaknesses of the finished product. This is a good example of why he wanted to start a production company, to give himself a measure of control over his films. I’ll be honest, I didn’t like the trailers to Gamer, and I thought the marketing campaign was lousy. I agree it’s a very good thing that LAC was moved up to October because everything about LAC looks far superior to Gamer and that’s got to be giving Gerry some hope as well. I’m jazzed about LAC in a way that I never was about Gamer. I’ve got pretty good movie savvy, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

Seems to me it's been a dismal weekend at the Box Office all the way around. There are far fewer $$ between 1st and 4th place than usual, in my humble opinion.

It's a shame the fanboys who were so stoked to see it were not pleased but, I think this is a movie that will make most of its $$ in dvd sales/rentals anyway. :2cents:

Edited by Hobbes

According to the production folks, the film only had a budget of $15 mil. If it makes $11 mil opening four day weekend, that's not bad. I did see Gamer heavily advertised on the SyFy Channel and (surprisingly) on BBC America. I agree that some of the Gamerboys may have been turned off by their portrayal in the movie, but that's the way the pickle squirts. Some of those guys really are weird!

Suzie

Note: The squirty pickle remark is in no way intended to be a gutter remark. It was a favorite of one of my college profs and it stuck! Anything I say at this point will only get me in deeper d*od*o

However I have to point out that you US GALS are partly to blame as well: I remember not so long ago when TUT was out, most of you had already seen it 2 or 3 times by Sunday evening. Not the same response here. :-) OK, it's not our dream movie but we have to support Gerry, right? It's important to get good numbers the first weekend.

Just kidding of course, I hope you don't hold it against me! :-)

I saw it twice on opening day, and am going again tonight (despite having about 30 hours worth of work to cram into tomorrow)! I'm doing my part! (Also, I liked the movie...)

Haven't seen it yet but this news is not a surprise to me. The movie is made for a certain kind of audience as I stated before...It's not a general audience type film. I ask you all...if Gerry wasn't in it would you have bothered to go? I can honestly say I would not! As for RockNRolla....I don't even own that one. Also to me not a general audience movie...I understand a lot of you loved it but again I ask...would you have gone to see it if Gerry wasn't in it? I think it boils down to what the competition happens to be at the same time and also the rating has a lot to do with the larger audience. I've also thought about how many have home theaters and instead of fighting the younger crowds at the movies they will wait for the DVD so maybe the DVD will help to bring in the bucks! As I said I haven't seen Gamer yet but expect to Tuesday... I might be back here eating my very words or I might be saying what so many others have already said...Gerry looked good!

JMO Galfriends, Frannie

Let's see... would I have gone to see Gamer if not for Gerry? I was JUST starting to get into Gerry when I saw the preview for the first time, and I thought it looked cool. I might have missed it in theatres due to being too busy, but at the very least I can say I would have wanted to see it in theatres even without Gerry.

As for RocknRolla... I watched it because it had Gerry in it. But, if I had heard of it aside from my fandom of him, I definitely would have wanted to see it. After RocknRolla I decided that I really like that type of black humor, and I watched Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and loved that too.

Gamer is most definitely NOT marketed to women. In fact the only time I ever saw a Gamer promo on TV it was during a truly disgusting (to me) comedy show on The Comedy Channel. I have never seen it promoted on anything else I watch (because I'm not who they expect to go see it). I never saw a trailer for it before any movie.

I know I saw Gamer trailers twice in theatres. I forget what the first movie was, but I remember specifically seeing a Gamer trailer before Transformers 2. And a friend of mine called me and said that she saw a Gamer trailer before Terminator Salvation. I mean, they always try to promote movies that they think the people currently in the audience are going to see, so it makes sense that they would have only run Gamer trailers before action movies.

Steph

If Gamer breaks even I'll be happy.I saw 300,Dracula 2000,ROF,AND TR2 before I knew who he was,and now I only see movies he is attached to because I know he is a good actor and I own all of

his previous efforts.I watched Dear Frankie all night long last night because I wanted to see vintage Gerry wherever he is I wish him all the best...

If Gamer breaks even I'll be happy.I saw 300,Dracula 2000,ROF,AND TR2 before I knew who he was,and now I only see movies he is attached to because I know he is a good actor and I own all of

his previous efforts.I watched Dear Frankie all night long last night because I wanted to see vintage Gerry wherever he is I wish him all the best...

Ditto- I saw Reign of Fire, Timeline, Tomb Raider 2 before I knew who Gerry was. I also bought a copy of Phantom before I knew him, but oddly enough, didn't end up watching it until after I discovered him (it's a hazard when you collect DVDs as if they were coins). But yeah, Gerry impressed me time and again before I even realized it was the same actor everytime... :)

Steph

I could be way off base here but All About Steve got really lousy reviews and while Sandra Bullock has a steady fanbase it would not surprise me if younger gameboys who wanted to see Gamer but did not have an adult to go with them paid to go into an age appropriate film and snuck into Gamer. Considering The Final Destination and Inglorious Basterds are all R rated All About Steve would be the only film they could get into without questions being asked.

Since most cinemas are multiplexes each individual theatre is not as strictly controlled as in the past. I know at my local 12 screen cinema there's one or two people on the entrance into the corridor taking ticket stubs but in all the time I have been using it(4 years) never have I seen a member of staff coming in to check who is in the actual theatre. Only during the Edinburgh Film festival have I seen a member of staff stay within the theatre and that tends to be because celebs are in there and they need to keep an eye incase any issues.

I'm sure I am not the only one (Ms Ghere LOL) that when Gerry has movies out even though I may go and see another movie I always get the ticket for Gerry's movie so the money goes to his film and no other :lmao:

Moira

I could be way off base here but All About Steve got really lousy reviews and while Sandra Bullock has a steady fanbase it would not surprise me if younger gameboys who wanted to see Gamer but did not have an adult to go with them paid to go into an age appropriate film and snuck into Gamer. Considering The Final Destination and Inglorious Basterds are all R rated All About Steve would be the only film they could get into without questions being asked.

Since most cinemas are multiplexes each individual theatre is not as strictly controlled as in the past. I know at my local 12 screen cinema there's one or two people on the entrance into the corridor taking ticket stubs but in all the time I have been using it(4 years) never have I seen a member of staff coming in to check who is in the actual theatre. Only during the Edinburgh Film festival have I seen a member of staff stay within the theatre and that tends to be because celebs are in there and they need to keep an eye incase any issues.

I'm sure I am not the only one (Ms Ghere LOL) that when Gerry has movies out even though I may go and see another movie I always get the ticket for Gerry's movie so the money goes to his film and no other :lmao:

Moira

That's definitely a possibility. Haha, clever on you for buying the Gerry ticket. I would never think to do that. But also, I keep my ticket stubs and create a collage of them in my journal at the end of the year, so that would throw that off for me... it's fun, I can tell you when I went to see any movie I've seen in theatres in the last 10 years!

Steph

RocknRolla is definitely the sort of edgy character driven movie I like. If it didn’t enter into my awareness in October of 2008, that was because of lack of promotion on the part of Warner’s, and the movie was released after the financial collapse and in the middle of a busy election season here in the US. A whole lot of stuff going on and at that point PSILY was slowly working its way up my Netflix queue and that was the movie where I really “got” Gerry for the first time. I had seen Shattered and thought he was sexy but PSILY pushed me over the edge.

If I like a movie enough I will happily go back again to see it. Gamer is not one of those, nor will I buy the DVD. I might rent the DVD when it’s out but that’s it, I’m done. I would not have bothered with Gamer at all if it Gerry was not in it. I will be more then happy to contribute to Gerry's bottom line where it will truly count: to see LAC.

I didn't get a chance to see this yet spent the holidays with family but hopefully will see it this week

I was surprised about the box office draw but then again it wasn't just Gamer that didn't do so hot mostly all the movies that opened this weekend seemed to take in less than usual for the weekend.

Maybe Gamer will be a sleeper hit and and the ticket sales will add up. Not even that Sandy movie did great and she usually draws in audiences.

I get the Final Destination draw, it was a series of movies { I'm addicted to them myself} and I guess the super die hard fans couldn't stay away

I saw The Final Destination on Saturday late night showing and it was great. Really enjoyed it.

I saw The Final Destination on Saturday late night showing and it was great. Really enjoyed it.

Did you get nightmares from it? lol! I'm asking because although I'm addicted to these types of movies the minute I go to sleep at night I have really BAD dreams but I still keep watching them:doh:

Was it as good as the previous FD movies?

No i didn't get nightmares it was alot of fun as it was in 3D. I'd say nothing tops the first one such an original movie for being a teen franchise.

Just seen the box office and Gamer has fallen to 10th place thats such a bummer. I hope Gerry is not too upset. It opens in UK next week so hopefully it will do well in its first week.

Moira

Gamer does not seem to be a successful movie, one can though hope that its box-office gets better. I wonder how high the production budget was? I´d suppose that to build and explode is not cheap.

I think the movie was genius, but it doesn't show a good side to gaming and some gamers don't want to see that side. Too bad it isn't appreciated more. It has a big message.

Sally

Edited by cybrsal

I think Gerry as Kable the real tough guy who once in a while showed his John (soft) side was the only good part of the movie...The dance was absolutely stoopid, the club scenes were so uncalled for and the use of explotation of sex and women was to me way over the top. I was surprised that my son totally agreed with me. Most of all I was sorry that I begged him to take me because he was a gamer and I thought he would love this type of film....He told me after the movie that it was so far off of what gaming was all about that it was laughable....not the impression I wanted him to have but then again he DID say that Gerry's role saved the movie!! Before you guys start throwing things at me ....This is JMHO and I can't bring myself to say that I "loved" a movie just because Gerry was in it. I also said I WOULD buy the DVD to support our guy! That way I can always fast forward through the parts that I so disliked!!

These are my observations of the movie Gamer and not the opinions of all individuals.... :wave:

Frannie

I think Gerry as Kable the real tough guy who once in a while showed his John (soft) side was the only good part of the movie...The dance was absolutely stoopid, the club scenes were so uncalled for and the use of explotation of sex and women was to me way over the top. I was surprised that my son totally agreed with me. Most of all I was sorry that I begged him to take me because he was a gamer and I thought he would love this type of film....He told me after the movie that it was so far off of what gaming was all about that it was laughable....not the impression I wanted him to have but then again he DID say that Gerry's role saved the movie!! Before you guys start throwing things at me ....This is JMHO and I can't bring myself to say that I "loved" a movie just because Gerry was in it. I also said I WOULD buy the DVD to support our guy! That way I can always fast forward through the parts that I so disliked!!

These are my observations of the movie Gamer and not the opinions of all individuals.... :wave:

Frannie

I agree too, Frannie sitting through it with my son was painful at times. I just kept eating and hoping it would end soon.I liked it enough to sit there but never again.I will buy it because of Gerry..and he was the saving grace for me of course...We all want LAC now i'm ready to move on...Tanya

GAMER has dropped from 4th place to 10th place in its second week. Sinking like a stone thrown into a pond.

But... with all of the LAC promotions - tv. appearances and the like; and of course the new movie's actual release... we have a look to look forward to! :wuv:

:erik: Erik's Ebony Eyes :phantom:

Edited by Erik's Ebony Eyes

No i didn't get nightmares it was alot of fun as it was in 3D. I'd say nothing tops the first one such an original movie for being a teen franchise.

Just seen the box office and Gamer has fallen to 10th place thats such a bummer. I hope Gerry is not too upset. It opens in UK next week so hopefully it will do well in its first week.

Moira

thanks for responding to my question and yes the first one was amazing! I couldn't sleep the night I saw it :funnyup: but yet I continue to view these movies.

I hope it does good internationally as well as the dvd sales.

I still can't believe it dropped here in the U.S.

Sometime you can't predict these things but if he's proud of the work he did and his fans enjoyed the movie that should be important to him as well not just the box office :)

I thought I'd read somewhere that Gamer only had a $15Million budget. Doesn't seem like enough to include salaries, though. If that figure is correct, The movie has made budget. According to Box Office Mojo, it has made $16,120,000 as of today.

Suzie

Frannie

Took the words right out of my mouth Frannie!!

Awww, I'm bummed that this one had such a cold reception. I was very excited about Gamer when I first saw the trailers, and I have to admit, my interest sort of shifted to LAC when those trailers came out, but during opening week, my interest came back full force. I saw it 3 times and thought it was really underrated. I understand the objections that a lot of people had with it, but I guess I'm just surprised that so few people even bothered to see it (people in general, not talking GALS here).

RESOLVED: I will go see it again this week, at least once more! Gerry needs my help!

Stephanie