Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Novelistgirl

Box Office

I've just been checking at Box Office Mojo and saw that a budget for this movie is not quoted on their site. However, today I saw a new UK movie magazine called Filmstar which carries an interview with Neveldine/Taylor in their September 2009 issue. The budget is quoted as being $15 million.

Bearing this in mind, here are the figures as per Box Office Mojo in relation to box office takings:

Domestic Total as of Sep. 16, 2009: $17,271,036

To this should be added foreign takings which are only now starting to appear. So ... it seems that Gamer is doing better than at first appears. Whilst I saw a preview of the movie yesterday it officially opens in the UK tomorrow. Foreign box office income ought to become more apparent next week.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Although this may not be quite the correct place to put this I feel I should add a little opinion as to how I view this movie, so here it is:

I think Gamer is stunning and words almost fail me. I said almost ... :D

Right from the moment it started I was hooked and understood everything perfectly. Those first minutes in battle with Kable were wonderfully done and gave a real sense of the disorientation of the fighter. I had no problem whatsoever with the quick cutting and the "shaky" camerawork. They conveyed that sense of desperation in fighting through to the Save Point.

The storyline at the heart of the movie is challenging and a true cautionary tale as to the effects of the constant need for more and more extreme stimulation from reality shows and their gradual merging together with video games. Even today we see how people who take part in the reality tv shows are manipulated into doing things they wouldn't normally consider ... Gamer pushes that to its extreme and how it might all be at some future point in time. As far as video gaming is concerned I understand that even now some of the big companies are creating those games which allow much more interaction between the player and the character. Put the two together ... reality tv and video gaming and what results? Gamer. The whole movie is a cautionary tale. That's how I saw it anyway.

The sheer physical needs of the role of Kable/Tillman were extreme and bearing in mind that Gerry was suffering with chest problems during his time in Albuquerque he coped magnificently. With so little dialogue to speak he worked wonders with his expressions and, as always, those subtle looks he employs served him well.

The choice of music for the film was inspired: I've Got No Strings, Sweet Dreams are Made of This, I've Got You Under My Skin .... all so ironic and wonderfully placed within the context of the movie.

I shall certainly be seeing the film again - most likely on Monday or Tuesday of next week. I think the film is a little before its time and is going to be one which people either love or hate. There is no middle ground with Gamer. I loved it and can understand the idea behind the movie. I think that somewhere down the road it will be seen for what it is ... a cautionary tale which is before it's time.

It's not for the fainthearted. It is graphic and it is unpleasant in certain areas but what is shown is central to the idea that people have become desensitized and need ever more sensation in order to satisfy themselves. Gamer is much more than a straightforward action movie.

Edited by patsyb

There was one disturbing incident that came up when I saw the movie. Four "boys" walked in to the theater, none of which could have been fifteen yet. I'm sure they purchased tickets to a different movie and then snuck in to Gamer.

The thing I have the most problem with in this area, is that theaters don't have ushers posted outside of R rated movies to keep this from happening. The fact that boys of this age can view the sexual content and violence of something like this does disturb me as to the capabilities of their immaturity to process this kind of information and such and put it in to it's proper context. Not to mention that their ticket tallies counted against another movie, perhaps one of the animations that was playing at the same time.

Just my thoughts. R rated should be just that unless a parent comes along and even then, it bothers me that a parent would see fit to allow a young, impressionable mind to see this. It does desensitize the mind and sometimes we wonder why some young males (and females) have violent tendancies.

This isn't a criticism of the movie but the lack of control on kids who can view these.

D

. . . Although this may not be quite the correct place to put this I feel I should add a little opinion as to how I view this movie, so here it is:

I think Gamer is stunning and words almost fail me. I said almost ... :D

Right from the moment it started I was hooked and understood everything perfectly. Those first minutes in battle with Kable were wonderfully done and gave a real sense of the disorientation of the fighter. I had no problem whatsoever with the quick cutting and the "shaky" camerawork. They conveyed that sense of desperation in fighting through to the Save Point.

The storyline at the heart of the movie is challenging and a true cautionary tale as to the effects of the constant need for more and more extreme stimulation from reality shows and their gradual merging together with video games. Even today we see how people who take part in the reality tv shows are manipulated into doing things they wouldn't normally consider ... Gamer pushes that to its extreme and how it might all be at some future point in time. As far as video gaming is concerned I understand that even now some of the big companies are creating those games which allow much more interaction between the player and the character. Put the two together ... reality tv and video gaming and what results? Gamer. The whole movie is a cautionary tale. That's how I saw it anyway.

The sheer physical needs of the role of Kable/Tillman were extreme and bearing in mind that Gerry was suffering with chest problems during his time in Albuquerque he coped magnificently. With so little dialogue to speak he worked wonders with his expressions and, as always, those subtle looks he employs served him well.

The choice of music for the film was inspired: I've Got No Strings, Sweet Dreams are Made of This, I've Got You Under My Skin .... all so ironic and wonderfully placed within the context of the movie.

I shall certainly be seeing the film again - most likely on Monday or Tuesday of next week. I think the film is a little before its time and is going to be one which people either love or hate. There is no middle ground with Gamer. I loved it and can understand the idea behind the movie. I think that somewhere down the road it will be seen for what it is ... a cautionary tale which is before it's time.

It's not for the fainthearted. It is graphic and it is unpleasant in certain areas but what is shown is central to the idea that people have become desensitized and need ever more sensation in order to satisfy themselves. Gamer is much more than a straightforward action movie.

An excellent analysis of the film and one I totally agree with. I was surprised how much I liked it from the very beginning, somebody who regards many 'action' films as dumb and doesn't care for 'shakey camera work'. But I loved Gamer and felt everything in it was integral to its themes and intent.

I also agree that I think it will be far better understood in the future, that it is a cult film waiting to happen. :D There is a lot of truth and vision in Gamer that has been under-appreciated by critics so far. It's time will come.

Thanks for the insights!

Jane

Edited by Jeb

Its out of my theater already!!!

:tantrum::tantrum:

I haven't had the chance to see it.

Its out of my theater already!!!

:tantrum::tantrum:

I haven't had the chance to see it.

Oh no! So soon? That's horrible! Well, I guess you'll have to get it on DVD when it comes out then!

And patsyb, I loved your analysis of the movie! I liked it the first time I saw it, but enjoy it more each subsequent time I go. I agree about the music too, great choices! I especially love the scene where Kable is making his escape from the game and "Sweet Dreams are Made of This" starts playing during the chase. Absolutely perfect timing!

Stephanie

Gamer will continue on DVD. Its sales will be through the roof like 300! I enjoy Gerry doing interesting roles not just the same old thing. It would be easy for him to play kings on horseback or war heroes. Comedy is harder & he is good at it! Romance is hard too & he is good at it!

There was one disturbing incident that came up when I saw the movie. Four "boys" walked in to the theater, none of which could have been fifteen yet. I'm sure they purchased tickets to a different movie and then snuck in to Gamer.

The thing I have the most problem with in this area, is that theaters don't have ushers posted outside of R rated movies to keep this from happening. The fact that boys of this age can view the sexual content and violence of something like this does disturb me as to the capabilities of their immaturity to process this kind of information and such and put it in to it's proper context. Not to mention that their ticket tallies counted against another movie, perhaps one of the animations that was playing at the same time.

Just my thoughts. R rated should be just that unless a parent comes along and even then, it bothers me that a parent would see fit to allow a young, impressionable mind to see this. It does desensitize the mind and sometimes we wonder why some young males (and females) have violent tendancies.

This isn't a criticism of the movie but the lack of control on kids who can view these.

D

GBPhanatic,

The next time you see something like this, let the management know, just as you would if patrons in the auditorium were talking and being unruly during the film.

Though it is not "law", theaters are under pressure to be sure that under-age kids in an "R" rated movie are accompanied by an adult. So, they will appreciate it.

:erik: Erik's Ebony Eyes :phantom:

Edited by Erik's Ebony Eyes

D

GBPhanatic,

The next time you see something like this, let the management know, just as you would if patrons in the auditorium were talking and being unruly during the film.

Though it is not "law", theaters are under pressure to be sure that under-age kids in an "R" rated movie are accompanied by an adult. So, they will appreciate it.

:erik: Erik's Ebony Eyes :phantom:

As I'm only 24 years old, it wasn't that long ago (in the grand scheme of things) that I wasn't permitted to buy tickets to R rated movies. Personally, I wouldn't advocate reporting seemingly underage patrons to the management.

I, myself, was mature enough to view much of what constitutes R rated content long before reaching NC's statutory age of 18. My parents took me to my first R rated movie when I was 7 or 8 (it was The Last of the Mohicans, and they saw it once before deciding to bring my brother and I). Issues of sex and violence were discussed very frankly in my house growing up, and my parents recognized my ability to handle these topics, and generally allowed me to make up my own mind about viewing R rated movies long before the theatres recognized this. As a result, I often "snuck in" to R rated movies that I wanted to see, and it was often with my parents' acquiescence.

Even though I was technically breaking the rules, I would have been very upset if another patron decided to take it upon themself to police the theatre; making a judgment about my maturity level and ability to handle the subject matter of the film. It's one thing to be "caught" by a diligent theatre employee, and another to be "narced on" by a nosy patron.

Anyway, that's just my opinion, based on my own, relatively recent, experiences.

Steph