Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
phoenixgirl

TUT made the Summer's Top 20

According to the latest issue of EW, The Ugly Truth came in 16th out of 20 for the top 20 movies overall. As of this article, TUT made $85.7 million.

Not too shabby ....

Hey, That's great! I enjoyed TUT very much and I'll be getting it on DVD when it comes out :)

Gerry does a good American accent, no doubt about it, but I think we all prefer his Scottish burr.

Cheers!

Amanda

That makes me happy for him and Katherine and its not over yet!!

Great news!! TUT is still playing at the first run theater, alongside GAMER!! Isn't that something--

to have two of Gerry's movies on at the same time. I can't wait for the TUT dvd, but until then

we also have our second run theater to tide me over (I hope!)

Judy

Hey Judy, try to get a picture of the marquee!!

That would be awesome to see both films listed there at the same time. :wuv:

Might be a little early for this, but has anyone heard anything about a release date for the TUT DVD?

It would be SO great if it were Christmas :)

Amanda

Edited by MissAmanda

Might be a little early for this, but has anyone heard anything about a release date for the TUT DVD?

Amanda

Please don't shoot me, but I didn't get this movie, at all. I know I'm not looking at it from a girl's point of view and I don't read too much chic lit (no offense to those who like it) but... http://filmandmoviemaking.com/the-ugly-truth-2009/

Don't feel too bad about it Stephen, I'm sure you aren't the only one who didn't like it. Hopefully you will like Law Abiding Citizen better.

While it is not one of my favorites, it was funny in some spots, and had it not been for Gerry, I would not have had my arse in the seat.

Hi Stephen. Hey, thanks for posting on GALS! I guess each person has their own perspective where entertainment is concerned, otherwise, we wouldn't have such a wide variety of movies out there. Some movies appeal to others that I cannot stand and visa-versa, and that has obviously been the case with TUT.

Both my husband and I really enjoyed this movie, and I know that many of my friends went their husbands or boyfriends, who enjoyed it too. The critics hated this film, but average film goers liked it, and overall, the BO has been pretty decent. There was lots of laughter throughout the film both times I saw it, so some people did find it very funny.

For Gerry fans, most of us will watch his films at least once, but in following the trending topics on Twitter, I found out that lots of people went to see TUT who don't even know who Gerard Butler is, and the tweets for the film were 20 positive to 1 negative.

Even though I have a completely different opinion about this movie, I really enjoyed your review!

Swannie

Edited by Swansong

Amanda

Please don't shoot me, but I didn't get this movie, at all. I know I'm not looking at it from a girl's point of view and I don't read too much chic lit (no offense to those who like it) but... http://filmandmoviemaking.com/the-ugly-truth-2009/

Well.......I won't shoot you......but I also don't agree with you (which is okay).

I'm sure it's no surprise to you that I have seen this movie several times and I have to tell you that contrary to your belief, there was much laughter in the theater. I mean significant laughter from both the men & women. I've also heard from many people that wouldn't be what you might term a "Gerry Fan", that they loved the movie. Obviously not everyone has the same taste, so I won't argue further, but this seems to be a movie on which the critics and theater goers do not agree. The movie has done well, despite many bad reviews.

I honestly loved this movie and thought Gerry & Katherine did an outstanding job. Hopefully you will enjoy Law Abiding Citizen when it is released, because I think it's going to be phenomenal.

Ren

I wanted to add, I think some of us share your frustration in wanting to see Gerry in weightier/ better written roles. I too believe his talents are being underused..but none of us know what other roles he is offered, or what compels him to choose the roles he does. Many fans have expressed their disappointment that he is not offered roles in the top films by top directors, but at this point he's just working hard not to be typecast or limited to one film genre. I would love to see him work with directors like Spielberg, Ron Howard or Martin S... but until they knock on his door, he just wants to do it all.

Swannie

I see in an eariler post I was asked to take a photo of the marquee with TUT and GAMER

playing at the same time. I didn't see this until today, but I am SO happy to say that both

movies are still playing for another week. Honestly, it is a BIG thing to have two movies

running at the same time!! I will do my best to get a photo to send in.

Judy

I wanted to add, I think some of us share your frustration in wanting to see Gerry in weightier/ better written roles. I too believe his talents are being underused..but none of us know what other roles he is offered, or what compels him to choose the roles he does. Many fans have expressed their disappointment that he is not offered roles in the top films by top directors, but at this point he's just working hard not to be typecast or limited to one film genre. I would love to see him work with directors like Spielberg, Ron Howard or Martin S... but until they knock on his door, he just wants to do it all.

Swannie

I liked TUT, but do agree that it was pretty light weight and obvously predictable. We did have a good time though and the gang I was with laughed a lot.

Amanda

I know quite a few people who I never thought would have enjoyed TUT but did. I think it was great to see Gerry in a light-hearted movie, and honestly he chose it for himself so why would there be anything wrong with the choice? He wanted to a fun movie, and he did it with 100% of himself and it showed. Then again, Gerry never gives anything less.

I really enjoyed TUT for what it was. It wasn't supposed to make a social statement. We have LAC coming out for that. :)

I can't wait for TUT to be out on DVD. I'm still hoping for a commentary from him and Katherine! How cool would that be???

I know quite a few people who I never thought would have enjoyed TUT but did. I think it was great to see Gerry in a light-hearted movie, and honestly he chose it for himself so why would there be anything wrong with the choice? He wanted to a fun movie, and he did it with 100% of himself and it showed. Then again, Gerry never gives anything less.

I really enjoyed TUT for what it was. It wasn't supposed to make a social statement. We have LAC coming out for that. :)

I can't wait for TUT to be out on DVD. I'm still hoping for a commentary from him and Katherine! How cool would that be???

Good to hear you again Swansong. I almost have 'that' article ready that we discussed; I've been too busy writing a play and a comedy show for a comedian. It's reached the top of my list again.

I believe it's great we don't all like the same movies. We wouldn't be able to debate them otherwise. I've seen movies this year that I enjoyed, but the critics panned and vice versa.

Your guy, well not yours personally, deserves better and I'm worried that he's just saying yes to anything.

Good to hear you again Swansong. I almost have 'that' article ready that we discussed; I've been too busy writing a play and a comedy show for a comedian. It's reached the top of my list again.

I believe it's great we don't all like the same movies. We wouldn't be able to debate them otherwise. I've seen movies this year that I enjoyed, but the critics panned and vice versa.

Your guy, well not yours personally, deserves better and I'm worried that he's just saying yes to anything.

While I can appreciate that everyone has different tastes in films, I certainly would never think for one second that Gerry 'is just saying yes to anything' as you suggest.

In different interviews for many of his films he has gone into great detail about what attracted him to various roles and he is too intelligent a character to settle for what he doesnt believe in.

A lot of fans want him to just be in Vin Diesel/Jason Statham actioners, while others him want him in only rom/coms, but he obviously prefers to vary his work and I look forward to all his different work.

Mirin

According to the latest issue of EW, The Ugly Truth came in 16th out of 20 for the top 20 movies overall. As of this article, TUT made $85.7 million.

Not too shabby ....

Actually the movie has grossed $105 million, and the article again doesn't take in to account worldwide box office - which is important.

:wave:

A lot of fans want him to just be in Vin Diesel/Jason Statham actioners, while others him want him in only rom/coms, but he obviously prefers to vary his work and I look forward to all his different work.

I've always found it rather presumptuous on the part of any fan to suggest he do a certain genre of films and stay with it. It's one thing to say you'd like to see him do more of one than another but to say you only want to see him do one thing or to suggest even that he will or won't do a certain thing is rather arrogant at best.

I think Gerry has more method to his madness than meets the eye. He seems to have always been one to try different things and see where his niche might be. Actors that get pidgeon holed in to one genre sometimes don't do as well as those who can do it all, everything from action to romance and everything inbetween.

Of course, I love seeing him in romantic roles and also comedy. He's got such a great sense of comedy timing and he's sexy in such an effortless way of course. Even Arnie did some comedies and I loved him in "True Lies" and that's probably my favorite Arnie movie (I don't want to misspell Swartzennager). It combines action, comedy and a little romance! I'd love to see (not demand or want) to see Gerry doing something like that sometimes.

I loved Gerry in TUT. I'm still hoping for Burns though!

D

I think that's great that TUT made the list for only being out in theaters for about 6 weeks of the summer season.

According to Box Office Guru this A.M, The Ugly Truth domestic box office is 88,300,00 dollars and foreign box office is 44,900,00 for a total of $133,200,00 ! It has to be shown in so many other countries so it looks like the total box office is going to be great! So glad for GB and KH and all the cast. It must be wonderful to be in a hit. ;)