Gerard Butler GALS
whirlwindgirl

Top 5 Favorite Gerry Roles

Hello all, I'm Ruth over at FlixChatter movie blog. I just posted my Top 5 Favorite GB Roles entry. I've been a fan for about 5 years now and I frequently feature/mention GB on my blog. I'm curious to hear from fellow GB fans on what role won you over and which ones you like best. I welcome your comments there.

http://tinyurl.com/m962lb

Thanks!

I guess mine would be from the movies:

Dear Frankie

Attila

Shattered

POTO

I know you said five but I was floored by his Jackie Jr. performance even though it was just a glimpse of the character and technically not one of his movies as well as his performance in The Jury for the same reason even though he had a greater part.

I first appreciated Gerard in 300 for the obvious reason. But Gerry crushed me in POTO as Erik during the last 10 seconds of the music box scene. Being an actor is what he does I know, but being able to interpret exhausted heartbreak like that is an innate ability I haven't seen before him. Sure some people can do the big ugly cry, wail, carry on and such. But it's that simple, quiet way of accepting the worst thing you fear that's pure. So my top 5 are: POTO, Dear Frankie, B&G, RNR and 300. Once LAC is released I may need to evaluate the list again. I have a feeling it's going to be his best work yet. Becca

Hi Ruth, welcome!

Gerard as the Phantom was the role that won me over (saw it in January 2009). I did not remember having heard of him before, but later as I started to collect his movies, I have noticed him favourably already at The Jury.

In these roles I have liked him best so far (have not seen TUT, yet):

- Phantom

- Dear Frankie

- Attila

- Beowulf & Grendel

- Dracula (the movie was not good, but Gerard was excellent)

Edited by Skatingfan03

Hi Ruth..... Welcome to Gals!! :wave:

My first Gerry movie was 300, my husband actually begged me to go see it with him and thank goodness I did! :lol: Then, Gerry really stole my heart in PS I Love You. :wuv:

These are movies of Gerry's that I love the most and can watch 24/7.

- PS I Love you

- TUT (I've seen it only 11 times now)

- Attila

- Beowulf & Grendel

~Tap~

For what its worth here are my top five

1. The Phantom of the Opera

2. The Jury

3. Attila

4. Timeline

5. 300

Now, when LAC comes out, it will most likely bump it's self right on to this list....

My five favouriet are probably (in no particular order)

1) The Ugly Truth

2) The Phantom of the opera

3) P.S. I love you

4) Attila

5) 300

The first movie I remember seeing Gerry in was 300, but I wasn't really "Stuck" on him until I saw P.S. I love you, then I began watching some of his other work.

Amanda

Hello all, thanks for your replies. Interesting how we all came to be GB fans, I think for me it's not just the roles he played but his interviews (magazines, talk show, etc.) that really got me, too. He's not just a good actor but I haven't seen too many celebrities who are as entertaining as themselves, you know, GB is just so magnetic to watch and I also find the story of his life (how he used to be a lawyer, etc.) really fascinating.

I agree ready2fly, it's one thing for an actor to just 'act' out a scene but GB seemed to have embodied the tortured soul of the Phantom in POTO, it's as if he was lost in that character and truly felt what his character felt. The same with Johnnie Donne in The Jury and from what I've seen so far, Clyde in Law Abiding Citizen. Like some of you, I think that role will easily be on my top 5!

Thanks for visiting my blog, Knight Phantom, I presume it's your comment there about Marek? I'll respond to that there but I just want to say that I was torn between putting Marek or Gerry Kennedy on my top 5, but Gerry ultimately won because I'd prefer to see P.S. than Timeline as a movie. But Marek is a close 6th on that list, and interestingly enough, I had no idea it was GB after he blew me away in POTO. I just remembered liking the dark-haired hunk (who looked awesome shirtless) instead of the lame lead actor that is Paul Walker!

Hi Ruth Welcome I did read your blog as well and thanks for becoming part of this community.I had seen a few of Gerard's movies before I really knew who he was through video rentals and such.I saw TR2 and 300 in the theater and was digging his performance in 300.Then I watched PSILY on a Saturday morning last December and become a fan instantly.I went to the video store to rent everything I could find then they let me buy most of the videos....

My top 5 Gerry movies

1)Dear Frankie

2)RNR

3)The Jury

4)Shattered

5)TR2

1.Title role in Phantom Of The Opera

2. King Leonidas in 300

3. The Stranger in Dear Frankie

4.Johnnie Dunn in The Jury

5. Neil in Shattered

POTO captured my heart and made me a Gerry fan.

I haven't seen Mike, Kable or Clyde yet. So I will have to wait to give them a chance.

Love,

Tracy

Edited by JustCallMeTracy

here's mine, great blog! :)

PS I Love You

Phantom

The Ugly Truth

Dear Frankie

1...The Phantom in Phantom of the Opera

2...Gerry Kennedy in PS I Love You

3...King Leonidas in 300

4...One-Two in RockNRolla

5....The Stranger in Dear Frankie [watched this for the first time yesterday & *sigh*]

Stace xx

Edited by Aussie_Stace

1...The Phantom in Phantom of the Opera

2...Gerry Kennedy in PS I Love You

3...King Leonidas in 300

4...One-Two in RockNRolla

5....The Stranger in Dear Frankie [watched this for the first time yesterday & *sigh*]

Stace xx

Hey Stace I knew you would like that.What's not to like.

1. The Ugly Truth

2. RocknRolla

3. Gamer

4. 300

5. Tomb Raider

Love all his movies, but I prefer GB with facial hair because my hubby resembles him when he grows it out.

Hi Ruth, welcome!

Gerard as the Phantom was the role that won me over (saw it in January 2009). I did not remember having heard of him before, but later as I started to collect his movies, I have noticed him favourably already at The Jury.

In these roles I have liked him best so far (have not seen TUT, yet):

- Phantom

- Dear Frankie

- Attila

- Beowulf & Grendel

- Dracula (the movie was not good, but Gerard was excellent)

Now I have seen TUT:

- Phantom

- Dear Frankie

- TUT (I really like Gerard in the role and also love the movie)

- Attila

- Beowulf & Grendel

Edited by Skatingfan03

So difficult to pick 5 ... I first noticed Gerry in Reign of Fire, but only referred to him as the "best friend with all the best lines" in that movie. Then I saw POTO and was completely blown away, especially after I looked him up on IMDB and realized it was the same guy. Then when I saw 300 and looked him up again, I couldn't resist any longer and that was all she wrote ... my top favorite movies, not in any order:

1. RocknRolla

2. Timeline

3. 300/Beowulf & Grendel (i can't choose)

4. The Jury

5. Phantom of the Opera

(honorable mention to Nim's Island cause I am hopelessly in love with Jack Rusoe)

Edited by phoenixgirl

I first saw the beautiful Gerry in 300. So that would have to be my #1. Then would have to be the ugly truth and P.S. I love you. That was such a sad movie. i can only watch it if I am really sad. Those are the only movies I have seen with him so far. I am trying to get all his other movies and watch them.

1- The Jury

2- PS I Love You (this is when I at last “got” Gerry)

3- Dear Frankie

4- 300

5- RocknRolla

About Phantom: I’ve always had mixed feelings about Andrew Lloyd Webber and his version of POTO (I like Evita better). But I do think Gerry is brilliant, particularly in the second half of the movie. So honorable mention for that one.

Mine would have to be...

1) Phantom in Phantom of the Opera

2) Gerry Kennedy in PS I Love You

3) One Two in RocknRolla

4) Andre Marek in Timline

5) Gus in Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married (I don't know... he just plays slimy so well!)

-honorable mentions to pretty much every other role... they're all so amazing!

Steph

What are your top 5 movie performances? Here's my list:

1. Law Abiding Citizen

2. Shattered

3. Attila

4. Phantom of the Opera

5. Dear Frankie

I'm interested to see your picks.

Edited by Christine ONeal

Now I know why we became friends, Christine ... our lists are similar. :D

1. Law Abiding Citizen

2. RocknRolla

3. Phantom of the Opera

4. Timeline

5. Gamer

ACK Forgot to mention ... if I had a #6 it would be Shattered (hence my comment that our lists are similar). :doh: I just watched it again last night with my friend Reggie, and she also loves it. We both think not only Gerry was underrated in it, but the entire movie wasn't given it's proper due. JMHO.

Edited by phoenixgirl

I'm sure we've had a thread like this before... But it's great, because I bet (like me) everyone's top 5 is always changing!! Here's my current one...

1. Law Abiding Citizen

2. P.S. I Love You

3. Phantom of the Opera

4. RocknRolla

5. Gamer

SOOOOOO hard to narrow it down... and SO hard to put them in any sort of order! :lol: It's so painful when amazing films don't make the list... but, they're all amazing in a way... :gah:

Steph

I totally agree it is hard to put them in order. I went higher up with movies that he has more screen time. He's fantastic in all his roles(even if the movie isn't quite up to par).