Gerard Butler GALS
CassieGz

Loved Loved Loved this movie

I watched this movie for the first time today. I had this movie in my movie collection and I never watched it before and I remebered he was in it. So today there wasnt anything on tv so I decided to pop it in the dvd player. Is it just me or did anyone else cry like a baby. I cried and cried and cried. I cried so much that my stomach was so upset when the movie was over. RIght when i would get done crying, I wouldnt have a 5 min break and another sad part would come on. :sad:

It was like he was my husband and he died.

I'll tell you what. God was in a good mood when he made him. He is so sexy. :drool1:

Fantastic movie. I loved it.

And I loved the part at the beginning when he was dancing around in his boxers. :drool1:

:welcome: CassieGz! We're so glad to have you join us.

Count me in as one of those that cried like a baby in this movie. If I wasn't crying, I was laughing. Sometimes at the same time. :lol: But this movie truly touched my heart and I'm so glad you took the time to see it.

I completely agree with you that it was indeed a good day when Gerry was made. :yummy: He has Butlerized more than a few of us around here to say the least. :heat:

Hope to see your 'round the boards. Have fun!

:hugs:

Jilly

This is the movie that made me fall in love with Gerry and I've been nuts for him ever since. I love it. I was a blubbering fool throughout the entire movie.

I cried too! Such a good movie, I mean, Gerry sings, he looks sexy AND he dances in Boxers! What else do we need??

Amanda

When I watched this movie I was thinking how could you stand going through loosing someone like him! No man would have ever matched up so it made sense that she went back to the land of his origins, maybe to hook up with his best friend and even her Mom, (Cathy Bates) looked like she would find love!

What is it about Scottish/Celtic men? They seem to have that element about them that reaches us down to the very basic core of who we are as women.

D

When I watched this movie I was thinking how could you stand going through loosing someone like him! No man would have ever matched up so it made sense that she went back to the land of his origins, maybe to hook up with his best friend and even her Mom, (Cathy Bates) looked like she would find love!

What is it about Scottish/Celtic men? They seem to have that element about them that reaches us down to the very basic core of who we are as women.

D

That is exactly what I think. He wanted her to go back for a reason.

I am afraid to watch it now because I start crying at the begninning and keep it up the whole entire movie. I don't have the energy to cry that much.

Welcome Cassie,I too took notice of Gerry when I saw it for the first time last December.I was smitten but it didn't make me cry.It made me go to the video store to buy/rent everything he did! I marched right in there and threw my list on the counter and when I met him a few weeks after I went back and the girl employee coudn't believe it! I've got GALS real bad and I will never be cured! I will say this those Celtic men have the most gorgeous eyes...Gerard,Jonathan Rhys Myers,Cillian Murphy,Mark Strong..you could go on forever.I'll be over in Europe next year cause I want to see it first hand for myself!

Welcome, Cassie! I always love hearing how people discover and fall in love with Gerry. For me it was Phantom on 12/31/04, but what I did afterwards was the same as others - find out what else he was in, start watching it all, over and over. We were kind of spoiled in early 2005 in that for a brief part of March of that year he had 3 movies in limited release at the same time, and I live in a place where I had easy access to all three - Phantom of the Opera, Dear Frankie and The Game of Their Lives.

I love PSILY but it never made me cry except a wee bit at the very end when SHE says it in voice over on her return to Ireland. But hey, Phantom never made me cry either, so I guess I just don't cry easily.

I always liked the ending of PSILY, that it was left open ended, that the real journey wasn’t about meeting the next man but meeting herself. And that Gerry Kennedy wanted that for her and knew he needed to help her begin a life without him.

This was the movie that tipped me over the edge for Gerard Butler. At the point in the film when Gerry Kennedy strides over the rise of the road in Ireland and meets Holly for the first time, that tall gorgeous body, that friendly, open face with the sparkle in his eyes and the sexy knowing grin, I flipped right over the moon!

Cassie this movie is at the top of my loved it but shouldn't watch again list. I cried from the memorial scene to the end. I had no idea what the movie was about before I saw it. I tried to watch it again a few weeks ago, yep still that sad and cried like the 1st time. Even after that I still bought it yesterday having no idea if or when I will watch it. (probably this afternoon) It was more of a Gerry impulsion than anything which is one of the many symptom's of GALS. For me it wasn't until this summer after I saw POTO that I was diagnosed with GALS. It is true what they say, the 1st step is realizing you have GALS then accept it. When you can do that there is an awful lot of fun stuff waiting here. Take it easy though, too much at once can leave you utterly sleep deprived and may cause you to snap when family, friends or strangers (allegedly) call him Geraaard instead of Gerard. Not that I would know anything about that. ;) I hope the rest of your weekend is great. Becca

The part I cried at was when he was standing behind Holly, in spirit, on her revisit to Ireland and she was reading his letter and he put his forehead on her shoulder! Lost it right there!

I had not seen the part they had cut out of the movie with Gerry going to the travel agent! I had no idea that they had scrapped that part out and when I watched it and Gerry walked in to the office looking sick, I lost it again seeing him that way! I was surprised at my reaction. I'm usually pretty stoic. They should have left it in!

As depressing as this movie may seem to some, it actually cheers me up when I'm down. Don't know why. It shows the strength of the human spirit even in the face of tragic events.

D

One of my favorite movies...period!!!! I can watch this over and over again...and my emotions become stronger and stronger each time. I so feel Holly's pain, I would lose my mind if I lost someone like Gerry Kennedy too! This was the movie that took me over the TOP with my GALS! Absolutely HOOKED!!!! :wuv:

This has to be one of the saddest movies ever. I think I've only managed to view it once without crying. I absolutely loved the pub scene - that's what got me to watch it all the way through - I turned in on once on HBO just as that was playing. I ruled out seeing it in the theater since I knew I'd be bawling. I just wish they had put his version of "Galway Girl" on the soundtrack ( or Love You Til The End).

"Loved Loved Loved this movie". Ditto! I already had the biggest crush on Gerry before seeing this movie, but this is where my crush on Jeffrey Dean Morgan peaked.

I love PSILY but it never made me cry except a wee bit at the very end when SHE says it in voice over on her return to Ireland. But hey, Phantom never made me cry either, so I guess I just don't cry easily.

That is how watching PSILY is for me too, Susan. I just don't usually cry at the movie theater or even at a movie on TV.

Delene, I did tear up just a bit in that PSILY scene too when he put his head on her shoulder at the "fort". Whew, that did get to me. I don't know why I don't cry much, it's just the way I am about movies. I love PSILY. 300 was the first Gerry movie I saw at the theater--saw it twice there but I went 5 times to see PSILY. I was amazed at myself! I had NEVER done anything like that with any movie!

Edited by Shamrocked

PSILY did it for me too. I saw him in this - cried my eyes out every time I watched it. Googled him and found out all of his other movies and started getting them from Amazon. I have watched all of his movies so many times - I still cry with PSILY and POTO. I can just listen to the POTO soundtract in my car and start to cry. I can see his face on the roof top at the Opera House when he is holding the rose and crying and when he is sitting and looking at the Music Box and sings "Christine I Love You". If Gerry had not made PSILY, I might never have found him. That movie touched me so deeply..

I thought that the movie was sad but had happy moments too. I thought that the shots of Ireland were wonderful. I, also, cried for the first time when Gerry put his forehead on her shoulder as she read the letter in Ireland. Thought it was a great movie with a great cast. I personally am glad that they edited the shots in the travel office showing him so ill. I think that the movie would not have benefitted from the addition. Anyway, I'm rambling. Loved the movie.

Edited by patsueb

PSILY did it for me too. I saw him in this - cried my eyes out every time I watched it. Googled him and found out all of his other movies and started getting them from Amazon. I have watched all of his movies so many times - I still cry with PSILY and POTO. I can just listen to the POTO soundtract in my car and start to cry. I can see his face on the roof top at the Opera House when he is holding the rose and crying and when he is sitting and looking at the Music Box and sings "Christine I Love You". If Gerry had not made PSILY, I might never have found him. That movie touched me so deeply..

I know exactly what you mean. I discovered Gerry on a tv late night showing of PSILY. I had never seen him before but I needed to find out more about him. He is handsome, funny and more importantly, he is a great actor. I'm so glad he didn't continue trying to be a lawyer. This is what he is meant to be and many others are starting to realize his ability.

Guest Kyriem

You know, Gerry is incredibly handsome and charming in this movie, I got to the point to think "I'm gonna cut Gerard's parts and leave out

Hillary's"

Unfortunately, I totally identified myself with Hillary Swank's character and I could watch the movie only once...

I cried for 2 hours, I was so heartbroken that I stopped the dvd 4 times... I couldn't stand to lose a guy like Gerard, sorry too much...

You know, I honestly think I felt worse when I reflected back on the movie then when I was actually watching it.

I just can't imagine having someone so great and losing them. I've never had that and I've given serious thought to whether it's better to have a short period of time w/ someone and then lose them or to never experience it at all.

I think I'd still chose to have it, but I certainly never have.

She was so lucky and unlucky, at the same time.

Now THAT question Rendita reminds me of another movie that really did make me bawl my eyes out - City of Angels with Nick Cage and Meg Ryan. When he is asked at the end if it was worth it now that he had lost her after such a brief time and he responds:

"I would rather have had one breath of her hair, one kiss of her mouth, one touch of her hand, than eternity without it. One."

OMG just reading that gets me!