Gerard Butler GALS

9/23 - Gerard Butler is crazy for 'Law Abiding Citizen': 'This is the Hannibal Lecter role'

becozy

Oscars mean nothing (to me as a fan, especially. I could care less); longevity and respect is what I see him striving for. But if it is something he wants, he knows how to get it. [/b][/color][/font]

You know, there's no such a thing ;) Nobody knows how to get an Oscar, there's a bunch of talented actors nominated endless times and never got one and some unknown people that made just one movie and get it.

Of course Oscars mean nothing to us, but they mean a lot to them. The academy award is internationally recognised as the most precious reward in the world for a person in the movie business.

I'm telling you this because I lived near Roberto Benigni, who won one, I think in 1997 as best actor, and he was taken a lot more seriously after that.

You know, there's no such a thing ;) Nobody knows how to get an Oscar, there's a bunch of talented actors nominated endless times and never got one and some unknown people that made just one movie and get it.

Of course Oscars mean nothing to us, but they mean a lot to them. The academy award is internationally recognised as the most precious reward in the world for a person in the movie business.

I'm telling you this because I lived near Roberto Benigni, who won one, I think in 1997 as best actor, and he was taken a lot more seriously after that.

I guess ... I wouldn't think so but I'm not the business (luckily). But you're right about some talented actors never getting nominated. It's all political ... I learned that after Russell Crowe wasn't nominated for A Beautiful Mind because he pissed someone at the Academy off (or something like that).

Anyway, you know what ... it really doesn't matter what we think. Gerry is going to do whatever is best for him and all we can do is go along for the beautiful and exciting ride, and support him 100%.

It's all political ... I learned that after Russell Crowe wasn't nominated for A Beautiful Mind because he pissed someone at the Academy off (or something like that).

Anyway, you know what ... it really doesn't matter what we think. Gerry is going to do whatever is best for him and all we can do is go along for the beautiful and exciting ride, and support him 100%.[/b][/color][/font]

Russell was nominated for A beautiful mind in 2002 (for the third time in a row), but he didn't win, probably because he had won in 2001 for "Gladiator", or well he maybe pissed someone off.... The academy in 2002 went to Denzel Washington for "Training day".

I'm a Russell Crowe fan too and loved most of his movies but sometimes I had to acknowledge he went off track in his life, his behaviour really unexcusable...

I hope Gerard is gonna behave, because if I can support him in almost all his movies and life choices, I'm not gonna support him while throwing phones at hotel clerks... ;)

It's all political ... I learned that after Russell Crowe wasn't nominated for A Beautiful Mind because he pissed someone at the Academy off (or something like that).

Anyway, you know what ... it really doesn't matter what we think. Gerry is going to do whatever is best for him and all we can do is go along for the beautiful and exciting ride, and support him 100%.[/b][/color][/font]

Russell was nominated for A beautiful mind in 2002 (for the third time in a row), but he didn't win, probably because he had won in 2001 for "Gladiator", or well he maybe pissed someone off.... The academy in 2002 went to Denzel Washington for "Training day".

I'm a Russell Crowe fan too and loved most of his movies but sometimes I had to acknowledge he went off track in his life, his behaviour really unexcusable...

I hope Gerard is gonna behave, because if I can support him in almost all his movies and life choices, I'm not gonna support him while throwing phones at hotel clerks... ;)

I don't see Gerry doing anything like the phone throwing incident.

I mean, he's very down to earth. Remember........he did pick up his own lettuce that he dropped..........that one time. ;)

RC didn't win for ABM because he said something stupid to someone in the Academy. I don't remember the situation exactly, but that's what was said, maybe about 4 years ago, as to why he didn't get it then but it was made up to him with Gladiator. He didn't deserve it for Gladiator, but he most CERTAINLY did for ABM.

Let's face facts, kids ... the Oscars are political. Don't you think it's kinda weird that Denzel and Halle Berry won in the same year? Yes, Denzel had already won a supporting actor trophy, but the best actor on alluded him for years. I won't turn this into a political discussion, but I think you can find the innuendo in what I'm saying. He deserved it waaay before he got it.

I guess that's why I don't give them much credence. Someone could deserve it but not get it for stupid reasons. It has nothing to do with talent; it's whose arse you kiss or ... whatever. At least that's how I see it from what I've read and heard over the 30-something years since I've been old enough to understand.

Look, if Gerry gets nominated I'm throwing an Oscar party (I'm already making my SNL party), so I'll be as happy as anyone else. And I know it bothers him becuase he keeps mentioning the fact that he doesn't have that next to his name with his co-stars.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything ... just enjoying the discussion. :)

Were you implying that Halle and Denzel won because they are black? In the entire HISTORY of the Academy Awards, Halle Berry is the only black female to win the statue for best actress. From what I saw of Monsters Ball, she gave a kick arse performance!

Denzel should've won years ago for some of his other roles....however that dirty cop role really showed his range as an actor. I love Denzel, but seriously, I get sick of the good guy all the damn time.

I like Gerry switching it up. He's good, and can go the distance, and have a career that rivals some of the greats....Newman, DeNiro, Pacino, Hopkins.....I think he should keep picking the diverse roles.....I just don't want him to gain fat for a role....I hate it when actors do that. Russell Crowe looked a hot damn mess in State of Play....I'd still go to the damn movie though!

D

I guess I should back up and rephrase - THEY DESERVED IT - but before they got it, at least Denzel. I'm just saying that it's about time the Oscars catch up with the rest of the world. Halle Berry was incredible in Monster's Ball - no doubt about that. So black or not, they deserved it but it should have happened sooner. That's all I mean. :) Did that come out better?

I think if Gerry picked a role that required him to gain weight he would. Look at Matt Damon for The Informant and Renee Z. for Bridget Jones. I think he would look cute. :lol: I wouldn't mind seeing Gerry do some more character acting. He can become anything he wants in a role, and it would be fun to hear more of "that's him?!" like we do about his past characters.

It's all good! You took me off guard for a minute!

Yes, Renee was great as Bridget Jones! You are right about Matt. Russel Crowe has done it, Robert DeNiro has done it....they're all great! I'm sure Gerry would do it for a movie role! I just like looking at him the way he is.....sorry, just being a bit shallow and selfish! :wuv:

D

It's all good! You took me off guard for a minute!

Yes, Renee was great as Bridget Jones! You are right about Matt. Russel Crowe has done it, Robert DeNiro has done it....they're all great! I'm sure Gerry would do it for a movie role! I just like looking at him the way he is.....sorry, just being a bit shallow and selfish! :wuv:

D

:) Glad I was able to clear that up ...

Going off subject Russell only got the Oscar for Gladiator IMHO because he really should have got it for The Insider and nominated for LA Confidential - it was a travesty none of the 3 males in LA Confidential were not nominated. He never got the Oscar for A Beautiful Mind when he should have because he attacked the Producer of The British Academy Awards for shortening his speech when it was aired later in the night.

He truly was amazing in A Beautiful Mind. While I think Denzel deserved an Oscar I was not taken with Training Day and feel again he got it for previous body of work which often happens in alot of cases. The Oscars are political how could they have given the Best Supporting Actor to Martin Landau in Ed Wood when Samuel L Jackson was so deserved in Pulp Fiction. I hate it when they give it to the old guys just cause they think they'll kick the bucket soon :lmao:

I'll be totally honest while I think the film is amazing I just can't see it appealing to the Oscar voters. I think there will have to be alot of buzz about Gerry's performance for him to be in the minds of any award voters. I will say he is definitely supporting to Jamie's lead. It could go in Gerry's favour as it is a decent size role not quite lead more than just supporting. I think he has more chance of Best Villian at MTV Movie Awards.

Moira

I will say he is definitely supporting to Jamie's lead. It could go in Gerry's favour as it is a decent size role not quite lead more than just supporting. I think he has more chance of Best Villian at MTV Movie Awards.

Moira

This is what I have thought from the beginning, that the Clyde role was the supporting role, jucier, maybe, more of a challenge, but a supporting role nonetheless. I don't blame GB for taking it, but ultimately, with few exceptions (Hannibal Lector) the Academy rarely gives Oscars to these types of films or roles. He could luck out, but I doubt it. IMO the Oscars, like a lot of critics have become superfluous to the success of movies or actors. Yes, sometimes it can generate a bit more interest and a few more offers, but it can also amount to zilch, as has been the case with quite a few Oscar-winning actors who have virtually faded into obscurity.

Gerry can get his pants in a bunch like he did in the movie "Shattered". Watch out when he is on the war path and there are children involved. He was the ultimate father to his little girl in 'Shattered" the bad guy didn't have a chance . I can see his Attila self coming out right now in LAC. The fact that Gerry knows about the law is enough. Me thinks Clyde is going to go into the judge's chamber and raise Holly H#%& . It's going to be a real " sticks and stones can break your bones and names will always hurt you'... and hurt you BAD! I have a feeling Clyde is going total psycho in LAC and I am going to need a shrink as a result...just kidding.

Edited by planetwalkers

I don’t think LAC is an obvious Oscar bait movie and it’s far too early to even determine if Gerry will even get the sort of buzz that might lead to a nomination. That being said every year at this time some of the big Oscar contenders are rolled out and are nowhere around Oscar time. And unexpected hits are in the running. How LAC is received within the industry (who are members of the Academy), if the movie is a hit with audiences and gets a measure of critical acclaim that might create enough momentum for Overture films to at least consider mounting a campaign for award season. But that’s expensive and they would have to be assured of some return on their investment, in terms of getting some nominations which would drive the box office numbers. Not even the expanded slate of 10 best picture nominees would be easy for LAC to achieve, because the way the votes are going to be tallied will apparently favor the big studios.

I think Gerry, Alan and the rest of the team will be very happy to have a solid hit, which could lead to Gerry getting some of his projects green lighted or better A list opportunities with top directors. Anything else will be frosting on the cake.

One more thing: Actors who vote in the acting categories love big game changing performances from fellow actors, so I would not totally discount Gerry getting a nod, particularly if he was in the Best Supporting category. (If he is as good as I’m hearing). But the competition in the male acting categories is fierce and there is always a good performance that doesn’t make the final cut.

The AA are very political. It annoys the sh*t out of me. I was so excited to see Slumdog Millionaire. I was stoked to see it in the movies that were playing on the plane, and then I looked at like twenty minutes of it, and fell asleep. Then on the second round of playing the movies, I watched it again....still nothing....fell asleep. I just wasn't into it at ALL. It didn't move me at all.....

However, that's the way it works in so many areas of life. So, that's not different from working in an office and the bosses best friend gets the promotion over you, or someone more qualified. It happens.

As a performer, or artist I'd shoot more for a successful, lucrative, long career, and if you get some great awards that'll be cool!

D

I know it doesn't even need to be said, but whether he ever gets an Oscar or no, whether or not he ever rises to the level of fame that we all know he deserves, and whether he plays the good guy or bad guy, we will always love Gerry! And I think that he has a good enough head on his shoulders, enough positive energy, and enough genuine friends and loved ones to keep him grounded in the knowledge that whether or not he's given acclaim in the profession, he's still an amazing actor who has had, and will continue to have a great career and a wonderful life!

Wow... I think on my next post I'll try to throw at least one more run-on sentence in. :) Just got all gushy for a moment. :wuv:

Steph

The AA are very political. It annoys the sh*t out of me.

However, that's the way it works in so many areas of life. So, that's not different from working in an office and the bosses best friend gets the promotion over you, or someone more qualified. It happens.

Yeah, it's true... then, there's the "luck" factor... Last year R. Downey jr. was so good in Tropic Thunder that I couldn't stop laughing all time while watching him on screen, I know by heart the scene when he gets confused with Ben Stiller.

Unfortunately for him, he went against Heath Ledger (who was good in "The Dark night" and even already dead..) and he lost.

Sometimes your best performance goes nominated in the same year as someone else's best performance and you end up losing...

I don't think LAC will get any Oscar nod but... never say never. Promotion means a lot, see what happened last year with "the millionaire" (I didn't fall asleep watching it but it wasn't a movie who deserved an Oscar for me...). Revolutionary road was a bit boring but Winslet-Di Caprio were fabulous.

I will say if the buzz is good and if they mount a campaign for Gerry they must do it in Best Supporting Actor Category as I do think he could stand a chance. He does show a good range of emotions from being a bereaved broken father/husband to intelligent psycho to deranged psycho(well one scene and it had me thinking what is he playing at but it all became clear).

The film just needs the buzz and not being biased I think it will be Gerry's performance that will stand out here. The problem is it is the Critics Awards that come around first and I always feel people just go with the flow after that. In Gerry's favour being a Producer if the film itself is the only thing nominated then he is still a winner.

I do not particularly think i have seen any major Oscar contenders so far this year but they may be holding them all back til Nov/Dec time.

Moira