Gerard Butler GALS

40 Days for Gerry's 40th

TheBlonde

40 Days for Gerry's 40th

Beginning Monday October 5th

:presents: Share the Gift of Self

:presents:

GALS, in lieu of gifts FOR Gerry let's do 40 days devoted to the spirit of giving. Each one of us might not be able to give for 40 days, but as a FANmily we can, for 40 days, reflect the generous spirit we see in Gerry and which we embody at GBGALS.

We are going to start this 40 days prior to this milestone in his life. This gives us two weeks to plan or think of creative ways to honor him, each other and ourselves.

Below is a short list of ideas of ways we can share the love with those around us.

Donate to local food bank

Volunteer to serve meals at shelters

Give away winter clothes/blankets

Sew blankets - many charities will provide material if ppl will sew the blankets

Enter charity walks

Adopt a pet

Buy the guy behind you in Starbucks his coffee

Pay the toll for the car behind you

Reach out to a GAL you don't know

Send "Thinking of you" cards

Save the tabs on soda cans for Ronald McDonald House or other charity collecting them

Send Holly the travel sized toiletries for TST

Pray

Give Blood

Visit a nursing/assisted living home and read or play cards/games with the residents

Plant a tree

Pick up trash

Adopt a section of Highway for GB GALS (courtsey of Delene/GBPHanatic)

Maybe some of us are not in a position financially or physically to give. This isn't JUST about giving, it's about SHARING. Share acts of kindness you've experienced. Stories from your local news. Something inspiring you witnessed waiting for the train. Post pics if you have them!!!

Beginning October 5th, we want this thread to EXPLODE with stories of the things we are doing and witnessing.

What are YOU going to do? Any other ideas for ways we can give?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GERRY!!!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great thread :)

I do a lot of those things on the list regardless of Gerard's Birthday but it will make a fun thread.

Were all kind of low on funds these days but even still the best acts come from the heart and spirit and not just what we can donate

financially

I just made a bunch of fresh jarred figs in a homemade syrup for friends and family and was just going to post the recipe in the cooking thread when I saw your thread so that's something for me today ;)

I figure there are so many trees on my fig trees in the garden and why let them just rot on the branch cause I can't eat them all by myself so I made them for everyone. I hope you guys check out the recipe when you get a chance and I can't wait to read what others post here

xoxo

In most states, I know in Missouri and Colorado, you can adopt a stretch of highway. I think it's about a mile in length and that's your area to keep clean of highway litter. A sign is usually erected for your "adoption" and instead of putting your name on it, dedicate it to "Gerard Butler in care of GBGALS" or something. Maybe you can locate some local GALS to pitch in and help you clean it up. I don't know if you'd need permission to put the names on it or not. Don't know how it works really. I've just seen a lot of them adopted by Scout troops, businesses and families around here.

Delene

That's an AWESOME idea. I have a stretch in front of my house. Wonder if the family will cringe seeing it for GALS. LOL Ahh who cares, they should be used to the cringe by now. LOL

A bit early for G's birthday, but ThePetiteKB, TheSon both as part of the Jr High & HS track teams and I, as me, participated in our local Race for the Cure today.

If you ever get the opportunity to participate or just go watch and cheer at one of these events I encourage you to do so! The air crackles with HOPE and LOVE. You can feel it in the air see it in the faces of strangers and friends. Every walk and stage of life is affected and represented. It was as if the troubles of the world vanished for a few hours.

We are planning on doing another in October with my mom.

Is there something we could do as a group?

We have a lot of members, we should be able to make

an impact somewhere in his name.

Keep me posted if someone comes up with something.

I pray for people all the time, but I don't think I would feel

right to dedicate that to Gerry. God does know the difference

he has made in my heart, so maybe that is enough.

Love him absolutely,

Sandy

Is there something we could do as a group?

We have a lot of members, we should be able to make

an impact somewhere in his name.

Keep me posted if someone comes up with something.

I pray for people all the time, but I don't think I would feel

right to dedicate that to Gerry. God does know the difference

he has made in my heart, so maybe that is enough.

Love him absolutely,

Sandy

Sandy,

This 40 days of individual efforts of giving and sharing and POSTING about the experience becomes a group event. Across the country and the world, WE, by doing small things with great love, create something very big.

We have the GALS Charitible Foundation that has been contributing to various charities for years. Primarily through our Vegas Charity auctions, in June. There are other live birthday celebrations. Phantom Pheast for one. I'll find the thread on GALS and post the link.

xox

~KB

Right off the top of my head, I'll be participating in the can food drive at the Craig Ferguson show on Oct. 7th. They ask that people bring canned food when they come to the taping, and since I am lucky enough to be able to go whenever I like and I'm going to see Gerry on Tues and Wed, I'll be bringing as many canned foods as I can bring in. This way, a Gerry event becomes something I can do for someone else.

That's just to start. :)

Will donating things to the Salvation army count?

Love,

Tracy

:hug:

Of course!! Anything you do for another counts. Or anythng done for you counts.

Right off the top of my head, I'll be participating in the can food drive at the Craig Ferguson show on Oct. 7th. They ask that people bring canned food when they come to the taping, and since I am lucky enough to be able to go whenever I like and I'm going to see Gerry on Tues and Wed, I'll be bringing as many canned foods as I can bring in. This way, a Gerry event becomes something I can do for someone else.

That's just to start. :)

Excellent!!!

WGT

I think babysitting for a mom who needs a break from her kids so she can have a date night with her hubby or a night out with her girlfriends would be a nice gesture. Or maybe they just want to go get their hair fixed and nails done.

Everyone knows when you have children most mothers sacrifice all their free time to take care of their kids.

I really shouldn't just say Moms as many Dads do the same thing.

I think that would be a nice project.

The nursing home is good to and shut ins. My sister is in the nursing home and my brother is stuck in his house. I know how important visits are to these people.

Love,

Tracy

:hug:

P.S. As far as me. Many Gals have been so wonderful to me. I have been so blessed in that way.

I'm scheduled to do a dog walk on Oct. 10 so that's cool. It's a no kill shelter and every year 3 times a year they have it where you get sponsors to sponsor you and the funds help to keep the shelter running. So, on the actual day of the walk us volunteers get togother and we take the dogs on a 2.5 mile walk along this nature trail. They love it! Afterwards they get to play in the doggie pools and have lots of treats. And just recently I dontated 7 bags of clothing to a women's shelter. It feels good to do something for someone else. I mean why wouldn't you?

Great Idea!

Cassie

Cassie...love the dog walk idea. I will have to check if the local shelter near me does this. If not, I will suggest it.

I am schedule as a volunteer to help at a Walk-A-Thon for my daughter's high school on Oct. 9th. Volunteer parents are assigned locations throughout the walk to check in the walkers, give them water, a snack, etc.

I donate to Goodwill regularly. Since my kids were little we have always had a box for their old/outgrown clothes & toys for Goodwill. I have 2 boxes ready to go now. :)

This is such a great idea!

Makes me proud to say I am a GAL! :wuv: