Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
TheBlonde

40 Days for Gerry's 40th

Thanks for reminding me KB. I had forgotten the Shade Tree needed the travel sized items. I've got quite a bit. I don't travel w/ my job as much as I used to, but I've probably got at least a shoe box full, maybe 2.

Ren

Hey Ren, for now, we are asking that items be sent to Holly and she will consolidate, pack and ship to TST.

More Info HERE

:bump:

Whats the haps, y'all?

TheBlonde said:

40 Days for Gerry's 40th

Beginning Monday October 5th

:presents: Share the Gift of Self

:presents:

GALS, in lieu of gifts FOR Gerry let's do 40 days devoted to the spirit of giving. Each one of us might not be able to give for 40 days, but as a FANmily we can, for 40 days, reflect the generous spirit we see in Gerry and which we embody at GBGALS.

We are going to start this 40 days prior to this milestone in his life. This gives us two weeks to plan or think of creative ways to honor him, each other and ourselves.

Below is a short list of ideas of ways we can share the love with those around us.

Donate to local food bank

Volunteer to serve meals at shelters

Give away winter clothes/blankets

Sew blankets - many charities will provide material if ppl will sew the blankets

Enter charity walks

Adopt a pet

Buy the guy behind you in Starbucks his coffee

Pay the toll for the car behind you

Reach out to a GAL you don't know

Send "Thinking of you" cards

Save the tabs on soda cans for Ronald McDonald House or other charity collecting them

Send Holly the travel sized toiletries for TST

Pray

Give Blood

Visit a nursing/assisted living home and read or play cards/games with the residents

Plant a tree

Pick up trash

Adopt a section of Highway for GB GALS (courtsey of Delene/GBPHanatic)

Maybe some of us are not in a position financially or physically to give. This isn't JUST about giving, it's about SHARING. Share acts of kindness you've experienced. Stories from your local news. Something inspiring you witnessed waiting for the train. Post pics if you have them!!!

Beginning October 5th, we want this thread to EXPLODE with stories of the things we are doing and witnessing.

What are YOU going to do? Any other ideas for ways we can give?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GERRY!!!

geesh,i'm so happy i nosed around a little further and popped onto this page. WHAT A BEAUTIFUL GESTURE ON GERRYS BEHALF...(SQUEEZE) to you girls...this is really lovely!!

like *guest*..i too already do some of the things listed as part of my personal response to living out life....but, there are a few things i can specifically do to honor gerry's big 40th with love toward others...this is an epitomy of what gerry does for others...share himself with a lighthearted & jovial commraderie.

again, this is a wonderfully sweet gesture. very inspirational. thank you. to post again.

Hi, it's a great plan to take some actions to help others along with the celebration of Gerry's 40-year-old birthday :kisswink: .

In Japan, charity is not as active as in the US, but I have been helping the food drive for the past 4 years or so. I just went to one at Ueno Park last Saturday, serving the meals for over 600 homeless people. Even though Japan is one of the rich nations in the world, we still have lots of homeless people with its number increasing recently especially among those in 30's.

Last week, I donated some small amount of cash to the children who lost their parent(s). I cannot help giving out my money, even though I am between jobs now, when I see the young students calling for the donations in front of stations.

I have been also supporting a girl in Sri Lanka through a non profit organization as a foster plan evern since the 9-11 incident, and it's time to write her the year-end card with some gift.

I am hoping to continue supporting some dog/cat shelters, too. In Japan, about 1,000 dog and cats get killed every day due to irresponsible owners. As a dog owner of a small yorky whose name is (Luke) Skywalker, I cannot pass over so many innocent animals getting killed :( .

Cheers!

Sayoko

WONDERFUL!!! Thanks for sharing with us. I hope your generosity feeds your spirit too.

Welcome to GALS!!!

40 Days for Gerry's 40th

Maybe some of us are not in a position financially or physically to give. This isn't JUST about giving, it's about SHARING. Share acts of kindness you've experienced. Stories from your local news. Something inspiring you witnessed waiting for the train. Post pics if you have them!!!

Last Thursday our Jr Varsity football team (14-15 yr old boys) asked the coaches (YES they initiated the gesture) and were allowed to don pink in honor of breast cancer awareness month. I was so proud of these young men, taking the initiative and showing their support without adult interference. They even purchased the pink tape themselves!!

You can see it on their shoes and arm bands. That is ThePetiteKB as watergirl.

Posted ImagePosted Image

That actually brought a tear to my eye. Not all boys at that age think about those things. They should be very proud of themselves. Way to go, boys.

Going to give blood today at the High School. Hoping some of the 17+age kids will join me.

Any good stories? Rescued puppies? Inspiring local stories?

I donated 3 more units of platelets last night.

Does it count extra that I needed to pee for the last 2 hours I was on the machine? Just kidding...........about counting extra. :)

The blood bank bus came to the school last week and quite a few of the teacher donated blood (I can't for medical reasons).

Love that story about the football team. :hearts:

I donated 3 more units of platelets last night.

Does it count extra that I needed to pee for the last 2 hours I was on the machine? Just kidding...........about counting extra. :)

:funnyup: I think that counts double!! Of course with all the klenching he causes 'round here, GALS are probably stronger than average women.

I bought a coffee this morning at the drive through at Tim Hortons and saw the man who stands out front selling the newspaper. So I pulled into the parking lot and walked into Tim's and got him a coffee and a breakfast sandwich. I know it's not much, but he was soooo happy and thankful.. Made my heart swell just a bit .

I have a friend in LA who is having a hard time financially and hasn't been able to see LAC. I ordered a gift card to the theater in walking distance from her and her hubby so they could go see it.

I also donated to the Shade Tree.

Edited by phoenixgirl

There is an 86 year old gentleman that lives in a small cabin at the foot of the mountain I live on. When we got hit with snow for two days I walked down to his cabin and brought him food for his dinner. He doesn't even own a phone so he didn't know I was coming. Needless to say he enjoyed the food but I think he enjoyed the company just as much.

Always remember the shut-ins.

~HUGS~ Kathy

These are such GREAT stories!

Just making my heart burst this morning!

OMG.. KB... what a wonderful way to celebrate G's birthday! Hats off to you, precious!

Every year, my employer does a company-wide food drive for the Harvest Hope Food Bank here in Columbia, SC. We can wear jeans for 3 Fridays if we donate 12 canned goods or similar items. I also give a donation each year to the Food Bank - I just don't agree with my fellow townspeople going hungry, you know? They are also collecting diapers - so many little ones go ALL DAY LONG wearing just one.

I'm also cleaning out my garage and closet in the next couple of weeks and taking a bunch o' stuff to our local Goodwill. Just because it doesn't fit me anymore or whatever, doesn't mean someone else won't love it. :wuv:

I was also thinking about finding out how many fellas are at the Oliver Gospel mission downtown... and taking them some breakfast biscuits or something one morning and some extra blankets.

Let's show the love, GALS.

Last Friday I treated the teachers and staff to pizza and this coming Friday I'm baking a cake and cupcakes for everyone - all in honor of Gerry's birthday.

That may not be real charity, but being able to do something nice for my co-workers means a lot to me. :)

I donated to the Trees for Life for Gerry's birthday for the grove in his name. I hope he gets a chance to visit there while he's in Scotland.

Delene

The Marines are out and about here in Augusta, GA. It's Toys for Tots time and everywhere you look, there are devil dawgs in their dress uniform( :drool: )

The twins are on about Christmas already and so I explained to them the thought behind Toys for Tots. Well, they decided on their own that we should buy some toys and donate but that wasn't good enough. The toys had to be bought with the money they earned. They insisted. They got about 3 really good toys out of it. Im so proud of them.

The oldest also went into his closet and went through his things. He has about 4 coats that Ive bought him that he refused to wear because coats arent cool. He gave them away to some kids at his school who are not as fortunate.

Love these kids even though I want to sell them to the gypsies right now.

WOO HOO!!!

do something nice for my co-workers

Lisa, you GOT it!! It's all about just being nice to each other... we've been at this for 40 day's-ish and it only takes 30 to create a habit.

Our collective generosity for The Shade Tree last month is proof that GALS live the spirit of sharing throughout the year. I'm so proud to be counted among you amazing women. If we are indeed judged by the company we keep, well, I'm not too worrined then.

~KB