Gerard Butler GALS
Sign in to follow this  
Susan~Sporran

Gerry's Birthday Giving Page

As one part of Gerry's 40th birthday celebration AND in honor of the upcoming 5th anniversary of the release of The Phantom of the Opera, I have set up a Giving Page on DonorsChoose.org. In lieu of buying and sending gifts to Gerry (which he may not get or need) you are encouraged to use that money to help fund school programs in the arts. These are the types of programs that are the first lost when schools must cut funding, which just about all have had to do recently. Just like the Scottish Youth Theatre gave Gerry his first experience with seeing his dream fulfilled, you can help children today get that same sort of experience and do so in Gerry's honor. All deductions are fully tax-deductible (in the U.S.)

Each time you contribute to a project you are able to leave a message. You can write whatever you like - these messages are there for other donors and the teachers to see. After Gerry's birthday I will print out all of the messages that are in his honor, along with the messages from the teachers, and send them off to him so he can see how many children were helped and how much it means to them.

The link to the page is above and in my siggy - just click on it, select any of the projects listed, and then you can either donate one of the default amounts or type into the space any amount from $1 and up. You can pay with credit card or PayPal, and they do have a facility for paying by check as well. Once you have made a donation you will see a page that will allow you to send a link to that project to friends or family whom you would like to encourage to give as well.

It is quite simple, and it can make such a difference. I was part of a Donors Choose Challenge that ended last Sunday which raised over $200,000 in a month helping over 80,000 students! That one involved about a dozen groups all competing with one another to raise the most, and we aren't in that sort of situation, but I know for the love of Gerry we can make a significant difference. When you see the thank you notes from the teachers it is so rewarding to know you helped fulfill someone else's dream.

I am working on some "incentives" for those who give the most. I haven't gotten that firmed up yet, but as soon as I have any news on that front I will post it here.

The Giving Page is open for donations, follow the link below my siggy.

Please give whatever you can, and leave a message so we can let Gerry know how much he means to us, and what kind of projects we are supporting in his honor.

I gave to " We want to be in pictures" in honor of my son Iain who is a Special Needs adult. Gerry has inspired me in so many ways and this is just a small way I can say thanks for sharing your talent and time with us. Thanks Susan for starting this project page.

I also made a donation in honor of Gerard to "We want to be in pictures."

Edited by littleirish

Thank you so much, littleirish! I've been working with Donors Choose for a few months now and they are just the greatest organization, and the reward of seeing pictures of those beautiful smiling faces of the students who have been helped is amazing. Just yesterday I got my very first thank you packet from a class whose project I completed the funding for - I haven't had time to read all of the notes, but it is so cute getting a big envelope full of hand written notes and drawings from the kids (that's what you get for either completing the funding on a project or giving more than $100).

Ginormous thank you to Beachie as well. The GALS are so generous!

For those still on the fence, or thinking you can't give enough to matter - you can make a donation for as little as $1 and all those little amounts add up to making a difference!!

What a great idea, Susan! Look for my donation at the end of the month when I get paid!

My cash flow isn't so hot right now but I'll look through those projects listed and see what I can give

thanks for the links and I hope they raise all the funds needed :)

I just donated to the We Want to be in Pictures! project

I wish I could give more than I did but I'm going to look into donating to a few more projects, this idea is great for children

Susan, thanks for setting this up for us. I donated to Glass Menagerie in my home state of Arizona.

Sara