Gerard Butler GALS

Phantom of the Opera

jojo23

I have just finished watching this movie for the first time and I just had to post something about it. What just happened?? This has got to be one of the most AMAZING movies I have ever seen!!! Why, WHY has it taken me sooo long to see it?! Every actor plays such a brilliant part - they all captured the feel, the passion, the(can I say) strangeness of it all so well. The music - wow the music. Andew L Webber is truly a genius. Listening to the words of the songs you can just lose yourself in another world and get swept away in the emotion of it all.

THE PHANTOM - OMFGJB!! My favourite role that I have seen Gerry in so far. The range of emotions that he shows in each and every scene he is in, is... is... - well he is an amazingly talented actor. After Christine & Raoul sing 'All I Ask' and Phantom picks up the rose, starts singing - his voice shaking with emotion, then crying and looks completely devestated (I was crying by this point), then crushes the rose, turns to anger - wow, Gerry played that perfectly IMO.

My fav scene from it all has to 'Point of No Return'. So so so so sexy it almost hurts to watch it. When Phantom sings '' in your mind you've already succumbed to me. Dropped all defences, completley succumbed to me'', it send shivers right through me!! I could go on forever talikng about this scene - just brilliant.

I would love to know what everyones fav scene in the movie is? I am sure this has been discussed many times before but I'm a newbie and I really would love to know peoples thoughts :wave:

LOL!!! It's happened to us all! *HUGS* :wuv:

I have just finished watching this movie for the first time and I just had to post something about it. What just happened?? This has got to be one of the most AMAZING movies I have ever seen!!! Why, WHY has it taken me sooo long to see it?! Every actor plays such a brilliant part - they all captured the feel, the passion, the(can I say) strangeness of it all so well. The music - wow the music. Andew L Webber is truly a genius. Listening to the words of the songs you can just lose yourself in another world and get swept away in the emotion of it all.

THE PHANTOM - OMFGJB!! My favourite role that I have seen Gerry in so far. The range of emotions that he shows in each and every scene he is in, is... is... - well he is an amazingly talented actor. After Christine & Raoul sing 'All I Ask' and Phantom picks up the rose, starts singing - his voice shaking with emotion, then crying and looks completely devestated (I was crying by this point), then crushes the rose, turns to anger - wow, Gerry played that perfectly IMO.

My fav scene from it all has to 'Point of No Return'. So so so so sexy it almost hurts to watch it. When Phantom sings '' in your mind you've already succumbed to me. Dropped all defences, completley succumbed to me'', it send shivers right through me!! I could go on forever talikng about this scene - just brilliant.

I would love to know what everyones fav scene in the movie is? I am sure this has been discussed many times before but I'm a newbie and I really would love to know peoples thoughts :wave:

BRAVA! Jojo...You now know why most of us are here! POTO is the movie that captivated soooo many of us. I was more or less captivated by Gerry in Attila but POTO kind of finished me off!

:wave: Frannie

OH YES!!! POTO did it for me and all the way through the film I kept thinking...."Who is this actor and why haven't I heard of him before?" I had no idea he had been "Attila" until I checked up on him.

My favorite part in POTO? Well, all the way through I kept saying this is my favorite scene only to have another come up that mesmerized me. Gerry ran the gauntlet of emotions in this film and he took me right along with him. I loved the WHOLE movie!!!!!!!!!!

~HUGS~ Kathy

I love The Phantom of The Opera. In 2007 it took It is A Wonderful Life 's place as my all time favorite movie. I want Christine to leave with Raoul as I want Meg to follow the Phantom through the broken glass returning his mask after the movie is over.

The sad ending makes me cry nearly every time.

Many others feel differently, but this topic is about what happens in the actual movie.

I am no Opera fan, but other than Carlotta and Piangi's voice. I love everyone's voice on this show.

I think the supporting cast are all excellent.

I have several favorite scenes. The Masquerade, Christine's debut, Meg and Christine singing Angel of Music.

The scene where the Phantom carries the hypnotized or in a trance Christine down the hall and everything looked good was absolutely so beautiful to the eyes and when Erik looks back at Christine it is wonderfully done. Then I like how amazingly contrasted the hall is as Meg enters it. Jennifer's face was priceless when her Miranda as Madame Giry grabbed her shoulder.

Of course the Music of the Night and Point of No Return just are seductive and beautifully done.

I like all the scenes with the unmasked Erik. Gerry really Brought it to this character. I would say his portrayal of Erik aka The Phantom Of The Opera made many think of the Phantom as a sexual being for the first time.

The only parts I hate is when Erik kills. I love him too much and I do not want him to kill people except for the one that held him captive at The Fair. I think he got what he had coming to him abusing and using a child in such a manner.

Unlike some people I adore Raoul. That does not make me love Erik less, but I love Christine and Raoul together even as my heart aches and breaks for Erik. For example the roof scene the beautiful words spoken of love between Raoul and Christine followed by their kisses is very romantic to me.

In the same scene of Erik seeing the object of his affection kiss another rips my heart for his pain. He has just killed a man smiling all the while doing it and yet I feel sorry for him. Then when Christine and Raoul leave and Erik gathers the rose and cries so pitifully my heart can hardly bear it. Gerry also rocked this scene as he goes from sorrow and heartache to enraged and vengeful as he crushes the rose and shakes with his fury before he runs and sings on the statue.

Gerry's and Emmy's work on both unmaskings was phenomenal.

I love the scene at the end where Raoul and Erik both sing together.

Then Christine jumps in singing as well. I want Christine to leave with Raoul as I see their love as pure and innocent. I see Erik's love for Christine as deceitful, obsessive and possessive and even resorting to hypnotism. The honest truth in her dialog is the Phantom frightens her. Though part of her remains eternally grateful for her voice in my belief. However anyone feels Gerry, Emmy, and Patrick absolutely were mind blowing in this scene.

To me the movie would not be what it is if Christine had not sang Pitiful creature of darkness and came to Erik aka The Phantom and giving him kisses. The first in my opinion is to save Raoul. The second kiss I think is probably much more compassion and maybe even confusing to Christine.

I have just recently come to that conclusion on my latest viewings of this movie.

Then Gerry once again rocks the role as the unmasked phantom as he sends them away in tears sends them away and goes and sings to the music box. This man is a fugitive and a murderer, but I physically ached for him when he thought Christine was coming back to him. I can see the anticipation in his eyes and then as she returns the ring, he is let down yet again and then he cries and I cry.

Then he smashes the mirrors into all the fragmented parts, I feel because his heart is has been fragmented to by losing Christine.

Finally I love when Meg comes and searches his lair and picks up the mask.

I liked the ending, but I use my own reason why the ring is left on grave with a red rose and a black ribbon.

I could watch this movie everyday and I also listen to the sound track.

My three year old grandson loves to sing with the soundtrack. His mother played it with headphones or whatever women use to play music for their children while still in their wounds. He calls every picture of Gerard Butler as Mask. He will watch the movie, but fears when the mask is removed,

I have a picture of Erik unmasked and my grandson will kiss the picture on his boo boo.

Sorry, I wrote you a book instead of a response.

Love,

Tracy

:hug:

P.S. Sorry if I got off subject. Sorry if my views offend anyone, but we can agree to disagree. Also the thought of Erik and Meg brought me to be a fan of Gerry. So I thank Erik for letting me meet Gerry and I thank Gerry for letting me meet Erik.

Edited by JustCallMeTracy

Its true, there are so many excellent parts in this movie. I just love Gerry as the the Phantom. He plays it so well you could almost watch the movie without sound(not that we would want to miss the siging!) and understand what he is going through just by looking at the emotion on his face, eyes...

I agree Tracy, about Raoul & Christine. I think they are very will suited and their love is strong. Christine feels for the Pahntom in a completely different way. She will be forever tied to him as he is her 'angel of music' and she is curious. Eriks love for Christine, as you say, is almost obsession. Even at the very end, with the ring and the rose, Erik is still there, he never really left Christine throughout her life.

OHHH, I think I'm gonna have to watch it again now, just to check if I missed anything lol:cunning:

I'm sort of like you jojo... I only first saw POTO in May of this year! I had bought the DVD when it was first released because there'd been so much of a buzz about it (at least in my little circle), but I never got around to watching it. It remained on my shelf, wrapped and un-watched until after I fell in love with Gerry in P.S. I Love You and decided to start watching his other roles. I first watched POTO in my bedroom, on a lonely Friday night. Luckily, I have a wonderful surround sound system, so I definitely got the full effect. :)

The first scene where I really realized that POTO was something amazing was the scene with The Mirror. The candles blow out ominously and the theatre goes dark... Christine is about to leave her dressing room, but she stops, startled by the sudden darkness. Then the Phantom's voice booms out of nowhere "Insolent boy, this slave of fashion, basking in your glory!" Woah! My heart leapt into my throat, and I was floored by the passion of Gerry's singing! That feeling carried straight through "Phantom of the Opera," and "Music of the Night."

Music of the Night might be my favorite scene. I always always always (no matter how many times I've watched it) get so lost in Gerry in that scene. He conveys such emotion, and his singing is simply beautiful. I always say that if I had been Christine, the movie would have ended right there--I would have been seduced!

However the movie would not be what it is if Christine had not sang Pitiful creature of darkness and came to Erik aka The Phantom and giving him kisses. The first in my opinion is to save Raoul. The second kiss I think is probably much more compassion and maybe even confusing to Christine.

I have just recently come to that conclusion on my latest viewings of this movie.

Neat observation Tracy! I had never thought of that before, but I think you could be right.

I've always thought that Christine did love the Phantom. The film summarizes Christine and the Phantom's relationship in the years that Christine grows up so quickly, that I think we lose sight of the fact that he was really a friend and constant companion to Christine for her whole life. Aside from that, as was said above, he gave her such a beautiful gift by teaching her to sing. I can't imagine what Christine would have been like if not for him... I think it very possible that she would have never recovered from her father's death and shied away from music as a result. So, I think she loved him. But, he definitely also frightened her. When she first removed his mask and she saw the anger that lay lurking inside him, I think she was ready to stow her love away and call it quits. The presentation of Raoul as an alternative--another man who she also loved, but who didn't have the darkness and madness, and could give her a life in the light--made abandoning her love for the Phantom an easy choice.

Personally, it doesn't bother me that the Phantom is a killer. I find it to be extremely consistent with the realities of his life. In fact, I have a little smile to myself everytime I see him strangle Buquet. First of all, he was abused and mistreated his entire life. He never had anyone who loved him, and only encountered one person in his entire existence who was kind to him (until Christine, but even whether she could be considered "kind" to him after knowing who he truly was is up for debate). Given the abuse and horror he suffered, it makes sense that he'd be angry enough to kill. Aside from that, he lived alone and isolated for years. Psychologically, if you don't have interactions with other people, you really can't develop empathy, because the idea that other people have feelings is not really even in your head. I think that's a big reason why he doesn't see it as morally wrong to kill when the occasion suits it. Also why he's willing to manipulate the situations to try to achieve his ends. Until the very last moment, he was willing to kidnap and hold Christine against her will, and kill the man she loved in order to have her for himself. He finally understood empathy when he saw it in Christine. It's exactly as the musical exchange goes... Raoul commanding the Phantom to "show some compassion," and him responding that "the world showed no compassion to me!" He doesn't even know compassion until that kiss from Christine. But, he's a quick learner (;)) and is willing to let them go and put her happiness above his after that.

Okay, I guess I also wrote a book. I love analyzing this stuff though... I really wish there were a job where I could get paid to do this... :)

Steph

JoJo,

Definitely watch again, because you catch new things every time. My siggy tells what happened to me one day in 2007. I was crying to the point of hiccups.

I have only watched two other Phantom movies, but to me Gerry is the Phantom because it was he that actually got me interested in POTO.

I have read several Phantom books and plan to read more.

Whether you see something happening past the Broken Mirrors or you see it ending that way and wanting to leave it like that. It is one great piece of work by Mr.Gerard James Butler and he deserved a Oscar for it.

How anyone can say Gerry can't sing is beyond me.

Love,

Tracy

:hug:

Edited by JustCallMeTracy

I agree Tracy, I have no idea how people can claim that Gerry can't sing! He so obviously has a healthy dose of natural talent. Plus, beyond technical proficiency, he's able to inject SOUL! I mean, Raoul's voice (sorry, I'm too lazy to look up the actor's name, so I'm just calling him Raoul. :)) was beautiful, but it didn't make me FEEL the way Gerry's did.

I am also at a loss for why this movie isn't more popular. I have to do a double-take anytime I see it referred to as being unsuccessful. I heard LOTS of people talking it up when it was released... now maybe the people I was hearing this from weren't representative of the general population, but it was the reason I bought my copy. Also, the set designs, the costumes... everything is just so elaborate and beautifully done. How this film didn't win the Oscar for Best Picture is beyond me. Beyond just Gerry, I think it's one of the best films I've ever seen.

Steph

:wave:

Ladies, POTO the movie that hypnotised me and I have never really got over that feeling as everytime I watch this movie it is as if the 'first time' and you mention It's A Wonderful Life.... if I'm right I do believe that movie was not a theatrical success, it had no acclaim or expected longevity and then was it a decade later it became a 'classic' and I really do think POTO will fall into that catagory eventually because you will love it or hate it be totally engrossed or think what a load of rubbish...no middle ground and Gerard James Butler is the reason for this....He owns the Phantom, he becomes the Phantom he feels the Phantoms emotions and that is the power of this movie....plus ALW's wonderful opera ofcourse.... :wave:

My fave part...PONR and oh bummer all of it.....how could you not it lifts you up, dashes you down and rips and mends your heart from beginning to end...

The two kisses....well the first is to save Raoul, the second is and for me the whole movie embraces this...the second is a feeling Christine has as a woman for a man, it's carnal, it's all consuming and she is afraid of it, she is afraid of the Phantom he would control her in a way Raoul never would, R offers safety and calm the Phantom would consume her with his love, his lust and his drives as a musician, he would simply burn her up...an older woman would handle that, a child could not but like a moth to the flame she is drawn to him because she is him and he is her if life had been different......and but for a scar of nature and a madness drawn out of despair whose to say they were not meant to be together....and that's what we see......the might have beens...Eric doesn't see that.......he is such a creature of emotion and a child in so many ways who cannot have what he wants .....Christine....oh we so love a lost soul don't we....even a murderous one if he's as much the victim as the perpetrator.....

Hey, now I've written a novel but I love this movie and I love GB in it....for me it is his best film ever and I will always love, love, love it....

:wave:

I love how this movie manages to get such a passionate respose. But I guess its that type of movie that you can reaaly enjoy, analyze and watch over again. There is just so much happening all the time. I watched it again and there were many more things I picked up on. I eally like the beginning actually, when at the opera house, the chandeleir is the next lot in the auction and then suddenly it starts to change from black & white to colour, and everything comes back to life, dramatic music playing... love it.

I watched the 'No one would Listen' scene. What a shame it was cut from the movie. Gerrys voice sounds so lovely. The words are so sad too. It shows a very tender side of the Phantom IMO.

Yes I think you are all correct, this was an Oscar worthy movie no doubt and yes, a classic of the future.

Thanks for sharing your first POTO viewing experience with us all. Many of us can completely relate to your emotional attachment to this film. I saw it 13 times when it was first playing in theaters, and who knows how many times I've watched the CD. It is a movie that nestles into your subconscious and stays there. Gerry's portrayal of the Phantom has led many of us down that dreamy candle lit corridor into our secret selves. Just as Christine was awakened to her own passions, many of us on this board were awakened as well. More than just entertainment, Gerry's Phantom is a work of art that continues to inspire people and touch hearts.

Swannie

I am so glad that I keep seeing new people who are still finding this beautiful and so wonderful movie. :yummy: I thought I was one of the last still living in a cave when I first saw it in April 2008. But they still keep coming. More and more, showing that this magnificent movie was not a momentary thrill but an actual classic even now.

I was mesmerized when I first saw it and asked me how I could let this gem slip me by, even though I don't get out much to movies. However, seeing it three times in four days, i was hooked.

I was stunned at Pahntom's left side handsomness when he took Christine to the lair, asking myself, "who is this man?" but I was like so many others who truly fell for Erik when he was unmasked during PONR. :wuv: That was when the true Erik came out, not the hidden one behind the mask.

And I agree. As a person who has a degree in music, Gerry definitely can sing. For some reason I found him perfect for this role, able to show the gentle lover, the hurt of rejection, and the anger of rejection. He nailed it all, so perfectly that I found myself with a stomach ache and in tears when it was over, so much did his feelings enter into my own heart.

Obsessed?? I guess so. Erik has become a part of my life. If having pictures and posters of Erik all over my home is obsessed.

If wanting to find someone to love him so much that I sat down at age 67 last year and began a book where he finds someone and is now published, then yes, I am obsessed.

My only sorrow is that I did not ever see it until 2008. I missed so much with the sites where I could have communed with other Phans who have felt the same way. At first I thought I was a bit crazy!!! But I know now that it is not the case.

This movie did something to me that no other movie ever has, it changed my life, gave me something to do rather than sit and brood in my wheelchair. I will forever be grateful to Joel for suggesting Gerry for the role as I don't feel that anyone else could have done it the same.

Since the 1950's my favorite movies have been "The Ten Commandments" and "Ben-Hur." They have now been replaced with POTO, the most beautiful movie I have ever seen.

Anne

Posted Image

I had the same strong reaction to POTO. I ended up watching it everyday for at least a week (sometimes twice a day). After that week ended I let a few days slip by here or there without seeing it, but I still watch it a few times a month... and everytime I do, it moves me like it was the first time.

Amazing film, amazing story, amazing acting, amazing music. It awakened something in me that I didn't know existed. I know I'm not alone in that. :wuv:

Steph

• 1 year later...

Like today, six years ago, went out The Phantom Of The Opera.

Is a date I will never forget that day I began to love the film / musical, his music and, above all, his hero.

I remember everything as if it happened a few hours ago: Me and a friend of mine went to the cinema with ten minutes late and the ticket office there said that the film had started. When we entered the room, the film is that it was started, but was already over. The coach told us he was doing the test of the film: then we saw the first end and the beginning of the film.

The film started and as he raised the lamp, listening to the overture came to me the creeps, and especially in the first shot of the Phantom! (The one in the basement while Christine sings Think of Me). Even now, after six years and after having seen more than a hundred times, I still have the same feelings.

You know, something just came to me for the first time! Something that I think drew me to Gerry but I just couldn't put my finger on it until now!

When I saw him in Phantom for the first time, I was so intralled by his performance and his good looks that when I googled him that first time I think I expected to find a vain, full of himself actor and instead I found this guy, fun and down to earth, ridiculously charming and funny, racy and raunchy and so unaware of his gorgeousness that I just fell head over heals in love with the man!

The character and the movie attracted me to Gerry but HE made me fall in love with him! He is truly one of a kind and my idea of a dream man, I will admit it! There it is, it's out! I do admit I love his acting, his singing, his abilities, his work ethic, the way he dresses, talks, jokes around, his love for his Mum and Lolita because they are all a part of who he is but I love the man who is Gerry, sillyness, flaws, and his sweet sensitivety! He can be kind and wonderfully charitable and he can be sometimes thoughtless and a bit cruel, but he's who he is, rough edges and all and to further top it all off, and high on my list of priorities, is a man who is intelligent and then combine that with that never ending sexy aura he exudes and then how could you not love him? In fact, I wouldn't be able to keep my hands off the man! I'd drive him crazy always touching and grabbing and fondling........ :whoa:

There are so many "ifs" in life, if I were younger, prettier, more available, not to mention the more then six degrees separating us..........it would be, look out, Gerry! :hitit:

Thanks for bringing this thread back up and letting me gush a little! :pantingheart:

Delene

Edited by GBPhanatic

Hi GJB PhansPosted Image

My first intro to Gerry was Attila because I'd heard he might be cast as Jamie Fraser if the Outlander series was ever adapted for film. After that I watched Beowulf, and was mesmerized by him. I put off watching Phantom because I'd been a snob devotee of the stage version. Boy, was I ever sorry! I've probably watched it 100 times already, and I only discovered who Gerry is last Spring. Like Steph, it's the one I always turn to. Sometimes I put it in the DVD player and just leave it because it will begin again on its own.

I've always adored the music, but the film really brought the music to life for me. I can't say I'll never see the stage production again, but I don't see how it can ever compare. The music and singing was front and center on the stage, but in the film it was all about real acting; real art. I expected the quality of singing from the likes of Emmy and Patrick, but Gerry blew me away. I used to sing in a choir; my voice is average, and I took lessons for a while. What he accomplished to prepare for that film was astoundingly difficult IMHO. Just the practicing and rehearsing used to wear me out and I was probably working 1/100th as hard as he worked for this film. Add to that the prosthesis and trying to project feeling and emotion with half your face covered! Gerry could do it because of his expressive eyes and mouth as well as the emotion in his voice. When he would part his lips and breathe hard in some of the scenes, it took my breath away. He has an absolutely beautiful mouth and chin. I like his beard, but sure enjoy seeing his face from time to time.

Like everyone else, PONR is my favorite scene. It was the apex of the quest for Christine and I always said he should have opened the chute and taken her away when he finished the song instead of starting into the love song. She was under his thrall for so much of PONR. I do love the way Emmy almost growls when she sings "consume us". She did a great and convincing job of acting through that. I love when they are at the front of the stage and Gerry's just finished singing his first part of the song. As Emmy begins to answer, you can see the Phantom glance up at Raoul to see if he is paying attention. I may be wrong, but I think Gerry got so "into" the role that he actually hated Raoul. In the special features included with the movie they show the duel in the graveyard as it was being filmed. You can tell Gerry isn't fooling around; he is really serious and Patrick seems at a distinct disadvantage. When they cut from the scene, you see Gerry just walk away like he doesn't want to have anything to do with Patrick. In the movie, his hatred during the duel seems quite real, especially when they become entangled and he shoves Raoul away. I also heard him say in an interview that he "almost killed" Patrick with the rope in the final scenes. He just kept tightening it!

Some have expressed disappointment in Gerry's voice. As I said before, I admire his performance more than any I've ever seen. I also have come to believe that the words to several of the songs intimate that the Phantom needed Christine's voice to bring his music to life; that he didn't have the big lyric tenor voice. In the end of the love song during PONR, just before she unmasks him, I get chills every time I hear him sing "Christine, that's all I ask of you" because his voice soars beautifully, strongly, and he is in complete command of his part of the song. It just doesn't get any better!

One last observation as I'm waxing verbose. I think the reason so many people don't know who Gerry is might be because he BECOMES his characters. I look at him all the time and I truly cannot see the Phantom in his face. Likewise with Attila and others. He looks totally different to me in PSILY as well. How he does it, I have no idea, but he's a true artist and a chameleon. If he can stay away from scripts like TBH (sorry all, I hated it), I think he could end up as the premier actor of our lifetime.

Hugs,

Burma

• 3 weeks later...

One last observation as I'm waxing verbose. I think the reason so many people don't know who Gerry is might be because he BECOMES his characters. I look at him all the time and I truly cannot see the Phantom in his face. Likewise with Attila and others. He looks totally different to me in PSILY as well. How he does it, I have no idea, but he's a true artist and a chameleon. If he can stay away from scripts like TBH (sorry all, I hated it), I think he could end up as the premier actor of our lifetime.

Hugs,

Burma

Excellent post Burma!

I would like to add my spin on your observation of why we still get "Gerry who?"

I completely agree that Gerry becomes his characters, but here is where we differ; to me, its not that I don't see Erik in Gerry, quite the opposite! There are times when in photos of Gerry, I do see Erik looking out from Gerry's eyes. But in all the times I have watched Phantom (and believe me I watch it A LOT!) I have *never* seen Gerry in Erik. He has so completely become Erik, that all traces of himself are gone.

Thank you Gerry, for giving me the one man I will love forever...

Hugs,

Burma

Excellent post Burma!

I would like to add my spin on your observation of why we still get "Gerry who?"

I completely agree that Gerry becomes his characters, but here is where we differ; to me, its not that I don't see Erik in Gerry, quite the opposite! There are times when in photos of Gerry, I do see Erik looking out from Gerry's eyes. But in all the times I have watched Phantom (and believe me I watch it A LOT!) I have *never* seen Gerry in Erik. He has so completely become Erik, that all traces of himself are gone.

Thank you Gerry, for giving me the one man I will love forever...

First, Happy Birthday!! Thanks for the kudos; I have probably over-analyzed this film but I love it so much! One happy fact is that Wikipedia states that he "achieved critical acclaim" with his performance in Phantom. Yay!

Your point is great and I think your clairification saying is much more correct. I "can" also see Erik and some of his other characters in his eyes from time to time but he isn't apparent in his character's eyes, and it isn't simply because he changes his hair color or shaves/doesn't shave. A good example is in PSILY when they show the older Gerry Kennedy in the beginning, and then they show the younger Gerry Kennedy in the flashback. They look like two different men to me. Related, yes, but not like an actor trying to look a different age.

I probably repeat myself, and if I ever met him it's the one thing I'd say to him: I believe when all is said and done he will be considered one of the premiere actors of our time. He already is in my estimation. I've never admired an actor this much EVER.

Hugs

Burma

The Phantom was the first character that attracted me to "investigate" who the actor playing him was. I had seen Gerry before in Tomb Raider and Reign of Fire. To be honest, I thought "what a little hottie" in ROF and in TR I thought "Where the heck have they been keeping this guy with the delicious accent?" and I never associated them as the same guy!

Then in POTO, it was the acting I noticed first because I tuned in to the movie while they were in the scene in the lake at the end and Christine is being pressured to make her choice! Again, I made no association with seeing him in the other two movies at all! I just thought, "Who is that? Wow!"

I believe we all fall "in love" with the characters at first, the Gerry Kennedy, Erik and Terry Sheridan. When I went back and saw the other movies, Attila, PSILY, Dear Frankie, Nims, and Timeline, I knew that if I had seen any of those before, I would have fallen in love with Gerry through those as well. And I probably would have known about any of those movies otherwise too. I remember seeing the trailer for Nims and I'm a huge fan of Jody Foster and my inclination was to see it but it looked like a kids' flick and even thought I fell in love with the animals and knew that if I wanted to see it, I'd be doing so alone in my circle of friends and family, I never saw it until I bought the DVD.

We tend to project those characters on to Gerry, falling in love with the character. Then we see that character that we fell in love with in Gerry. We sometimes forget he's an actor, playing a part. There may be pieces of him in those characters because I do feel that an actor has to channel that emotion from somewhere, but sometimes we also forget that they are a separate individual from their characters as well, with a heart and soul and personality all their own.

I wish sometimes Gerry would let us see more of who he is personally with regards to what makes him feel sad, happy, angry, etc. I don't think he does because he's the kind of person who is ever evolving and changing all the time. He leaves himself open to new things and experimentation. He's never committed to just certain things because tomorrow, he may feel differently. That's how I see him anyway.

But one thing I can say is that I believe his heart is always true and when he loves, he loves for good and is profoundly loyal.

Delene

While I agree with what you're saying Delene, for the most part, I have to disagree IMO of projecting a character on Gerry; Erik in particular... Erik touched Gerry in ways that no other character has. Want proof? Look at his loft.

While I agree with what you're saying Delene, for the most part, I have to disagree IMO of projecting a character on Gerry; Erik in particular... Erik touched Gerry in ways that no other character has. Want proof? Look at his loft.

Wow Deb, you're right! It was easy to tell how much Gerry was affected by Erik because of the extreme emotions he exhibited while playing the role. He stepped into Erik; became him. I hadn't thought about the loft, though. I especially remember the chandeliers and the gothic hints.

You misunderstood me, Deb. I never said there was not a part of each of Gerry's characters in him, in particular Erik. I think he really identified with him. My reference was to his fans that fall in love with a particular character and see that as Gerry. I have always said his loft looked like the lair in many of my old posts, there's no doubt of it. Gerry will always hold a special place in his heart for the Phantom, IMO.

There may be pieces of him in those characters because I do feel that an actor has to channel that emotion from somewhere

I've always said that Gerry puts a lot of himself in to his roles that he can identify with. All actors do, I suppose. I think what I was trying to convey is that many fans identify with a character sometimes and fall in love with that and then project it on to the actor. Just like Robert Young used to say when he played Marcus Welby, MD, people would walk up to him and tell him how much they loved him and then ask him for medical advice! The lines get crossed between fictional and real life personalities sometimes.

Delene