Gerard Butler GALS

Phantom of the Opera

jojo23

I love The Phantom of The Opera. In 2007 it took It is A Wonderful Life 's place as my all time favorite movie. I want Christine to leave with Raoul as I want Meg to follow the Phantom through the broken glass returning his mask after the movie is over.

The sad ending makes me cry nearly every time.

Many others feel differently, but this topic is about what happens in the actual movie.

I am no Opera fan, but other than Carlotta and Piangi's voice. I love everyone's voice on this show.

I think the supporting cast are all excellent.

I have several favorite scenes. The Masquerade, Christine's debut, Meg and Christine singing Angel of Music.

The scene where the Phantom carries the hypnotized or in a trance Christine down the hall and everything looked good was absolutely so beautiful to the eyes and when Erik looks back at Christine it is wonderfully done. Then I like how amazingly contrasted the hall is as Meg enters it. Jennifer's face was priceless when her Miranda as Madame Giry grabbed her shoulder.

Of course the Music of the Night and Point of No Return just are seductive and beautifully done.

I like all the scenes with the unmasked Erik. Gerry really Brought it to this character. I would say his portrayal of Erik aka The Phantom Of The Opera made many think of the Phantom as a sexual being for the first time.

The only parts I hate is when Erik kills. I love him too much and I do not want him to kill people except for the one that held him captive at The Fair. I think he got what he had coming to him abusing and using a child in such a manner.

Unlike some people I adore Raoul. That does not make me love Erik less, but I love Christine and Raoul together even as my heart aches and breaks for Erik. For example the roof scene the beautiful words spoken of love between Raoul and Christine followed by their kisses is very romantic to me.

In the same scene of Erik seeing the object of his affection kiss another rips my heart for his pain. He has just killed a man smiling all the while doing it and yet I feel sorry for him. Then when Christine and Raoul leave and Erik gathers the rose and cries so pitifully my heart can hardly bear it. Gerry also rocked this scene as he goes from sorrow and heartache to enraged and vengeful as he crushes the rose and shakes with his fury before he runs and sings on the statue.

Gerry's and Emmy's work on both unmaskings was phenomenal.

I love the scene at the end where Raoul and Erik both sing together.

Then Christine jumps in singing as well. I want Christine to leave with Raoul as I see their love as pure and innocent. I see Erik's love for Christine as deceitful, obsessive and possessive and even resorting to hypnotism. The honest truth in her dialog is the Phantom frightens her. Though part of her remains eternally grateful for her voice in my belief. However anyone feels Gerry, Emmy, and Patrick absolutely were mind blowing in this scene.

To me the movie would not be what it is if Christine had not sang Pitiful creature of darkness and came to Erik aka The Phantom and giving him kisses. The first in my opinion is to save Raoul. The second kiss I think is probably much more compassion and maybe even confusing to Christine.

I have just recently come to that conclusion on my latest viewings of this movie.

Then Gerry once again rocks the role as the unmasked phantom as he sends them away in tears sends them away and goes and sings to the music box. This man is a fugitive and a murderer, but I physically ached for him when he thought Christine was coming back to him. I can see the anticipation in his eyes and then as she returns the ring, he is let down yet again and then he cries and I cry.

Then he smashes the mirrors into all the fragmented parts, I feel because his heart is has been fragmented to by losing Christine.

Finally I love when Meg comes and searches his lair and picks up the mask.

I liked the ending, but I use my own reason why the ring is left on grave with a red rose and a black ribbon.

I could watch this movie everyday and I also listen to the sound track.

My three year old grandson loves to sing with the soundtrack. His mother played it with headphones or whatever women use to play music for their children while still in their wounds. He calls every picture of Gerard Butler as Mask. He will watch the movie, but fears when the mask is removed,

I have a picture of Erik unmasked and my grandson will kiss the picture on his boo boo.

Sorry, I wrote you a book instead of a response.

Love,

Tracy

:hug:

P.S. Sorry if I got off subject. Sorry if my views offend anyone, but we can agree to disagree. Also the thought of Erik and Meg brought me to be a fan of Gerry. So I thank Erik for letting me meet Gerry and I thank Gerry for letting me meet Erik.

Tracy, have you read the book? A lot of your questions would be answered if you read the book.

The facts were somewhat turned around about the ring. In the book when he sends Christine away

he gives her the ring HE had given her and tells her that when he dies she will be notified and she is

to return to the lair and place the ring on his finger and be sure he is buried by the fountain. There is a

notice printed in the paper and she goes and fulfills her promise. The writer finds his skeleton there.

In the movie they turned it around so that he brought the ring to her grave. I believe it was because

he was dying and thus his farewell. Raoul then knows he has been visiting her grave since she died and

has never stopped loving her. In the book also, he killed because the man he killed had also killed and

he was afraid he would harm Christine, because he stared at her through the hole into the dressing room.

This was my first Gerry movie, but a character I had loved since I was eight. Gerry gave the Phantom

the character and soul I had always imagined. He brought the Phantom to life for me, not like the other

movies before that had portrayed him as a monster. I had always seen him as the loving unloved

character Gerry made him to be. I am forever grateful to Gerry for bringing My Phantom to life for

the world to know and love. His portrayal and creation of Phantom is my favorite Gerry character.

I love all of Gerry's characters, but this will always be my favorite.

I am so glad you finally watched it. I watch it about once a month and have since 2007 and never

tire of it or Gerry's performance.

I am sure you will find all of Gerry's characterizations just as thrilling and wonderful. He is by far the most

talented actor of this time.

I know you have been here for a while, but I think that finally you understand why we all love Gerry

so much. He is truly a remarkable man as well as the most remarkable and talented actor ever.

Love him absolutely,

Sandy

I have noticed lately, also, that some of Gerry's older movies are being picked up on

television. I just watched "Mrs. Brown" on TCM. I really never expected to see it

on TV. I'm so happy, it was Gerry at his earliest accent work.

I believe that as Gerry's fame grows, his older work will become classical, especially

POTO. Someday it will be seen as the great work of art that it is, because of

Gerry's fame, and I truly believe that Gerry will be considered the best actor of

his time. He is showing the world his talent in every genre, and not many actors

can pull that off. His fandom is growing every day. His fanbase if expanding to

all ages and all walks of life. Not only is he the most talented actor out there,

he is also the most brilliant. He is creating his own acting world, in all mediums.

I just heard he is going to play the lead role in the mini series he is going to produce.

He will be everywhere, and I will be delighted to see him anywhere he decides to showcase

his brilliance and his talent.

Love him absolutely,

Sandy

I have noticed lately, also, that some of Gerry's older movies are being picked up on

television. I just watched "Mrs. Brown" on TCM. I really never expected to see it

on TV. I'm so happy, it was Gerry at his earliest accent work.

I believe that as Gerry's fame grows, his older work will become classical, especially

POTO. Someday it will be seen as the great work of art that it is, because of

Gerry's fame, and I truly believe that Gerry will be considered the best actor of

his time. He is showing the world his talent in every genre, and not many actors

can pull that off. His fandom is growing every day. His fanbase if expanding to

all ages and all walks of life. Not only is he the most talented actor out there,

he is also the most brilliant. He is creating his own acting world, in all mediums.

I just heard he is going to play the lead role in the mini series he is going to produce.

He will be everywhere, and I will be delighted to see him anywhere he decides to showcase

his brilliance and his talent.

Love him absolutely,

Sandy

Sandy, I totally agree with you on all counts. I'm still amazed when I ask people if they know who he is and they answer in the negative. When you start naming films, they've seen several of them! All you have to do is say that he played the Phantom, though, and they are truly amazed. He still blows me away with his singing. He is an actor for the ages.

Hugs,

Burma